BBF Progressive HoF Election: 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ace Venom View Post
    The contributors are going to get the first run before the players do. I already had that planned.
    A was talking more along the lines of starting the VC Players (or contributors) around 3/7 and the VC Contributors (or players) around 3/21. That would prime us for the 2015 election better than doing just one ahead of time and running the other 2 simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK
      A lot of it is perception and perhaps how one left the game. As for Brown he goes from being the stud ace on a San Diego WS team, to having great ERAs without matchng W-L records back before that was "acceptable", signed a $100 million contract and was frequently DL'd, go to NYY have reported "anger management issues" and get shelled v. BoSox in 2004 playoffs, get linked to Mitchell Report, have Torre make some very catty comments in his book. You have to stretch back very far indeed to remember anything good, so to speak, about Kevin Brown and perhaps this colors ones opinion.
      And in comparison with Drysdale, the two may be statistically very similar, but Drysdale accomplished it all by age 32. Granted, part of that is due to era and usage, but there's a thought that Drysdale burnt out kind of early, though having already accomplished quite a bit, while Brown's career was frequently interrupted by injury and with several dubious (right or wrong) perceptions, especially late in his career.

Also, with Brown being as injury prone as he was, would he have been able to hold up under the type of usage that Drysdale experienced? Conversely, would Drysdale's career have been more production and/or longer if he was used more sparingly and had more evolved surgery to help his arm stay strong? On the flipside, how much better would Brown have been in the pitcher's era of the 60s while how much more difficult would things have been for Drysdale in the offensive of the 90s? We'll obviously never know the answers to these questions, but they should illustrate why a straight comparison of Brown and Drysdale, can be misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
        A was talking more along the lines of starting the VC Players (or contributors) around 3/7 and the VC Contributors (or players) around 3/21. That would prime us for the 2015 election better than doing just one ahead of time and running the other 2 simultaneously.
        This is what I was saying earlier in the thread. I would stagger the elections in this fashion. If you can recommend more contributors, I'd appreciate it.

Newly Eligible
        Dusty Baker
        Don Baylor
        Bob Boone
        Ken Burns
        Phil Garner
        Mike Hargrove
        Tom Kelly
        Leo Mazzone
        Dan Okrent
        Willie Randolph
        Joe Spear
        Ted Turner
        RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Comment

Nick Altrock might merit being added to the Contributor's list.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
            Nick Altrock might merit being added to the Contributor's list.
            I don't plan on voting for him personally, but he definitely deserves nomination to the VC contributors master list.

Comment

Some scout, umpire, long career, and 19th century contributor suggestions. Some may already be in the database:

Hugh Alexander
              Joe Brinkman
              Charles Byrne
              Octavius Catto
              Bruce Froemming
              Paul Krichell
              Tony Lucadello
              Denny McKnight
              John McSherry
              Paul Snyder
              Joe Sugden
              Don Zimmer

Comment

Weren't we going to have a 2015 election this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                  Weren't we going to have a 2015 election this year?
                  I've been busy and I've had some health problems. I'm going to be getting to this soon.
                  RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Comment

I hope you are feeling better.
                    Last edited by PVNICK; 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM. Reason: poor typing

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X