2015 Progressive HoF Pre-Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Progressive HoF Pre-Election Thread

Yes sir. It's coming back. I've assembled a group of newcomers that should be eligible for the upcoming election.

Garrett Anderson
    Jim Edmonds
    Troy Glaus (not officially retired, but he isn't even on a minor league roster)
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Mark Grudzielanek
    Trevor Hoffman
    Mike Lowell
    Gil Meche
    Kevin Millwood (on his second minor league roster of the season)
    Bengie Molina
    Jamie Moyer (not officially retired, but wants to come back)
    Chan-Ho Park (playing in NPB and not MLB, so he would technically be eligible)
    Andy Pettitte
    Mike Sweeney
    Billy Wagner

I'm also doing away with the 15 player voting limit. I have my doubts that I'll run another election next year after this. That's still up in the air. Comments?
    RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

Of those players I would vote for Edmonds, Griffey Jr., Hoffman, and Wagner.
    Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

Edmonds and Griffey would get my vote. Hoffman and Wagner tentatively not. Oddly I think Wagner was better but Hoffman has a better case.

Comment

why wouldnt you do one next year?

Comment

If this is the end for you, you might consider including the recently retired Manny Ramirez here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ducati12 View Post
            why wouldnt you do one next year?
            If someone wants to volunteer to take it over, I'd think we'd help that person out. That said, these projects can be a lot of work, and I thank Ace for all he's done in this one. If he wants out at this point, that's his prerogative.
            Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
            Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
            A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

I would be willing to take it over if no one was opposed

Comment

This has been a great project and provided some really interesting discussion.

If I ever have the time, I was thinking of actually rebooting back in 1901, though perhaps doing things a little differently to see how the results change. In particular, I was thinking of changing eligibility requirements and voting rules. With respect to the latter, as time went on in this project, I think allowing for 15 votes actually took away from the spirited conversation. 15 votes seemed necessary early on to deal with what was then a bigger backlog of players (though one might argue with expansion and players having longer careers, the backlog swelled later on anyway), but later on it became too permissive and took away from voters having to make hard choices and advocate. Consequently, I think this Hall, while not having nearly as many clear mistakes as Cooperstown, became generally too permissive, in that our line became somewhat bulbous and overly inclusive. So I'm thinking to actually scale back to allowing just 10 votes, and perhaps doing away with 75% but having a point system or something along those lines. The key spirit would remain though, to proceed one year at a time looking at the context of the game's history to that point.

Comment

Junior is the only newcomer I would vote for at this point. Maybe Hoffman eventually, but I'm not convinced on his worthiness yet.
                  The Writer's Journey

Comment

I'd vote for these guys:

Ken Griffey, Jr.
                    Trevor Hoffman
                    Andy Pettitte
                    Billy Wagner

I'm not completely sold on Edmonds.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...