X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex Rodriguez

Comment

Adam,

"Umm...excuse me? Bill, haven't you seen the recent TV commerical with A-Rod and Vlad? Vlad hits a ball to the moon and A-Rod doesn't!"

Good grief, Adam. You must be setting the record for naivite. I have a report from an unimpeachable, impeccable source, that that commercial was completely staged. It was so choreographed as to have absolutely NO value, whatsoever. Sheesh. And YOU - an informed fan too.

Disappointed in you, Adam.

BB

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
        Adam,

"Umm...excuse me? Bill, haven't you seen the recent TV commerical with A-Rod and Vlad? Vlad hits a ball to the moon and A-Rod doesn't!"

Good grief, Adam. You must be setting the record for naivite. I have a report from an unimpeachable, impeccable source, that that commercial was completely staged. It was so choreographed as to have absolutely NO value, whatsoever. Sheesh. And YOU - an informed fan too.

Disappointed in you, Adam.

BB
        Bill, calm down, Adam was just trying to add a little humor to this thread. There was nothing serious in that post. Obviously an informed fan like Adam would never use that as an argument for Vlad.

Comment

Chris,

Bill, calm down, Adam was just trying to add a little humor to this thread. There was nothing serious in that post. Obviously an informed fan like Adam would never use that as an argument for Vlad.

Gotcha! How sweet! "And the old geeky nerd takes down 2 posters for the price of 1"! Nothing better than an ambush post! Love it. Taking candy from a baby.

54 yr. old nerd
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-14-2005, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cklennon
            It seems that A-Rod had his peak season at 20 and has been going down since. Perhaps he is only a career .290/.300 type hitter and his 2000 year was just outstanding.
            Tell that to ARod's .319/.419/.590 line. Beats' Vlad's line, in a tougher park (especially for righties).
            "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
              Tell that to ARod's .319/.419/.590 line. Beats' Vlad's line, in a tougher park (especially for righties).

Wasn't it nice to see Rodriguez actually hit a homerun (for once) when it was actually meaningful to the W/L outcome last night, ElHalo?

In any case, despite Rodriguez' gaudy HR totals, it looks like Vlad still comes out ahead.

Vlad's career average is 20 points higher, he walks at almost the same rate as A-Rod, but K's almost half as much.You can't get a ball past the guy, and he might be the best offensive player in baseball sans Albert Pujols. That would be a good thread, in and of itself.

Both guys are baseball gods, but Vlad creates more runs, and uses less outs (his relative OBP is higher than A-Rod's). Isn't that the bottom line?
              Last edited by csh19792001; 07-15-2005, 01:22 PM.

Comment

crushed

Wait a minute, that commercial wasn't real? Now I'm bitter, o boy.

A Rod will go down as one of the top ten players of all time. Vlad will maybe be in the top 100. The only current players within twitchin' distance of A Rod are Bonds and Pujols as hitters, and Clemens/Pedro/Maddux/Randy from the mound. Twenty years from now, I would imagine that Piazza and Vlad would have the most comparable careers. That said, Vlad is a more primeval force, a la Bonds and Pujols, than is A Rod. He is the one guy who seems as if he might literally pull a Hobbs and knock the cover off the ball with a particularly venomous bludgeon. Then there is the clutch argument, which is apparently familiar to A Rod only in the bankbook application. I have a hard time imagining him carrying a team, like Vlad or Bonds has, late in the season. But he is awfully cute and a natty dresser, to boot.

With Sheffield's Swing of Anger and Malice, it would be tempting to put him in the Hobbs Potential category as well. But he's such a yutz, I'd rather see him strike out. All by himself, he's reason enough to hate the Yankees.

Now Pujols the Repeater, holy moly, he keeps it up with the Foxx/Gehrig impersonation, he'll be the gold standard for the next millenium. What a stud.

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001
                  Wasn't it nice to see Rodriguez actually hit a homerun (for once) when it was actually meaningful to the W/L outcome last night, ElHalo?

In any case, despite Rodriguez' gaudy HR totals, it looks like Vlad still comes out ahead.

Vlad's career average is 20 points higher, he walks at almost the same rate as A-Rod, but K's almost half as much.You can't get a ball past the guy, and he might be the best offensive player in baseball sans Albert Pujols. That would be a good thread, in and of itself.

Both guys are baseball gods, but Vlad creates more runs, and uses less outs (his relative OBP is higher than A-Rod's). Isn't that the bottom line?

Gotta agree with you here. Vlad's just a little better across the board in the key categories - BA, OBP, SLG, OPS+. As a hitter, he edges out A-Rod, though obviously, as a shortstop/third baseman, Alex is the more valuable player.

Vlad also has a much better nickname. "Vlad the Impaler" sounds like a death metal band. "A-Rod" sounds like something a corporate marketing team put together.

Comment

spot on

Per usual, Metal has nailed it on the 'Ed. In a sandlot game, A Rod would never get his clothes dirty by doing something as unseemly as slide. I bet he organises his socks ever so precisely. Vlad the Impaler looks like he's lucky he remembered to wear socks. At a party, A Rod would wind up tattling on Vlad, who would probably be wearing a lampshade and never have registered that A Rod was even there. There are really only two post-baseball careers open to A Rod: 1. Nun or 2. Known Defiler of Small Domestic Animals. There can be no middle ground. So, now who's more offensive, to the average fan?

(I know, I know, 'tis little ol' irreverent me, but I wasn't in the poll, and for that we are all everlastingly gobstopper grateful...)

Comment

It's very, very close; but as a RFer, Vlad is lost in a sea of great hitting players. As a SS/3B, A-Rod is true rareity, thus I go with A-Rod.

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001
                        I was thinking that thought exactly.

I really had to stop and think about whether or not that was the first time I'd ever seen ARod have a big hit that actually meant something for the Yankees.
                        "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

I really had to stop and think about whether or not that was the first time I'd ever seen ARod have a big hit that actually meant something for the Yankees.
                          I really don't understand all the A-Rod bashing. He was THE only thing the Yankees could count on every night for the first two months of the season. Where would the team be without all the damage A-Rod did April-June? That's not meaningful? All the runs he produced during that time isn't meaningful, especially considering that no one else on the Yankees was really contributing consistently (maybe Sheffield, but he wasn't on A-Rod's level). Take away all that production and the Yankees would be much further back right now because they would never have made it through those first two months with their horrid and inconsistent play at that time. That's meaningful to me. A-Rod drives in 70 RBI, hits .320 with 20+ over the fence and everyone acts like those numbers didn't count for anything, they didn't matter, and they weren't big parts of several victories (when victories weren't that common for the team). So why don't we just deduct all the runs that A-Rod has provided this year, pretend like they never happened, and deduct them from every game they occured in. Do that and tell me how many wins the Yankees have this year?
                          Last edited by DoubleX; 07-15-2005, 08:18 PM.

Comment

In a year and a half, ElHalo, it just might have been.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                              Do that and tell me how many wins the Yankees have this year?
                              XX-
                              ElHalo and I watch the Yanks day in, day out. Look at how Rodriguez hit in key situations last year, and look at when he has done the bulk of his damage this year... mostly in inconsequential situations. As so frequently happens, his raw numbers belie his actual value to his team.

In case people aren't familiar with numbers not telling (any semblance) of the truth, read this post by a researcher who went back and looked beyond the numbers. It concerns a recondite subject, I know, but the premise remains perfectly apt; certain players look better "on paper" than others.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...8&postcount=56

In fact, this is the reason that the term "on paper" exists. Read Dan Shaughnessy's "The Curse of The Bambino", specifically, the sections regarding Jim Rice- a perfect example of this principle. His gaudy numbers were not indicative of his actual value to his team- yet three decades later, he looks simply AWESOME (on paper).

Comment

As a hitter Vlad might have it, although I would take A-Rod, and A-Rod is clearly superior as an overall player.

Couple things I thought of though:

1. Does Vlad look like anybody else's grandpa besides mine when he runs?
                                2. I prefer Big Daddy Vladi as a nickname over Vlad the Impaler. Just loved that nickname the first time I heard it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X