I just heard Chris Berman say "Lah-shu-way"

but I've also heard it pronounced Lah-Joy

anyone know how it was said?
    According to wikipedia, it's pronounced la-ZHWAY

but according to fact monster it's pronounced:

Laj•oi•e

Pronunciation: (lash'u-wā"),
    —n.
    Napoleon (“Nap”), 1875–1959, U.S. baseball player.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Correct French pron. would be La-zhwah.

But HWR is looking for how people back then pronounced it, right? I'd like to know too.

I always assumed they said La-joey (as in Joey Bishop).

Comment

I've always pronounced it "Lah-Zoo-Ay". Probably not the correct pronunciation.

Comment

For the longest time I pronounced it La-Ho-Eye

WAY off.

In the last year I've been pronouncing it La-Zhwah realizing he was french in origin.

Comment

Call Me La Zwa

I read in a magazine article titled Call Me La Zwa that Napoleon LaJoie often corrected people. While reading it, I asked a French Canadian friend to pronounce his last name. Since then, everyone I've ever heard pronounced it incorrectly. You will need to ask a person who's 1st language is French to pronounce it. It sounds like Le - Zshwa (No English combination does it justice).

The most irritating mis-pronunciation is the Texas Auto Mechanics version: La - Joe - Way.
            The most common mis-pronunciation: La - Joy.
            Last edited by HDH; 07-25-2005, 06:31 PM.
            In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

If I'm talking baseball with my friends, I say la-joy.

But if I talk baseball with someone who knows what their actually talking about (ie, not my friends) I say la-zwah.
              Hey, Dad.... wanna have a catch?

Comment

I've always pronouced it La-jo-ee. I'm glad Berman even mentioned him, regardless of how he pronouced it. I'm glad whenever ESPN mentions anything about baseball before 1980, since they almost never do.

Comment

I always assumed it was Lah-Joey, but then I actually bothered to look it up and saw that he pronounced it "lah-zhwah," with the "zh" sound like the "s" in "measure."
                  "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Good thread... when I first read it I read it "La zshoo ee" and since then I've been tenative about how to pronounce it.

Others...

Earle Combs
                    Edd Roush
                    Sal Maglie
                    Kiki Cuyler
                    Ed Reulbach
                    "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Earle Combs I say Earl (the usual way) Cohms (think co as in cobra with an ms at the end)

Edd Roush I say the Roush part like house (as in...OW!...)

Sal Maglie: Sal Mag-Lee

Kiki Cuyler: Kee-Kee Keye-Ler (eye with a k in front of it)

Ed Reulbach: Ed Rule-Bock

Comment

Nap LAJOIE is pronounced "winner."

When sticking to the pronunciation of the actual letters in his name, the American pronunciation is La Jo EEE.

He did play most of his games in America, the land of the free and the home of the braves.
                        Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

Modern examples...

Shigetoshi Hasegawa...
                          If I hear one more announcer mangle that into See-Geh-Tah-See I'll snap...LOL It's She-Geh-Toe-She guys...two sh sounds...not that hard!

Ichiro...people keep putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable...

It's not Ee-CHEE-Ro...it's EE-chee-ro

Last year I had all kinds of problems with Clint Nageotte...

The proper version is Na-zhaht...the same kind of j sound as Lajoie...with a hard ah vowel.

And JJ Putz is not pronounced like the yiddish word (putts)...it's pronounce like the english word (puts).

That is all for your Mariner lesson.

Comment

How about Tony K U B E K?
                            Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

Originally posted by SABR Matt
                              <...>
                              Kiki Cuyler: Kee-Kee Keye-Ler (eye with a k in front of it)

<...>
                              It looks like that, but the "Kiki" according to all the stories I've read stands for the sound Pirates fans would make when he made a great play or whatever: they would go "Cuy! Cuy!" So apparently it should be Keye-keye Keye-ler.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X