No announcement yet.

Williams-DiMaggio trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read that Ted did not like hitting at Yankee Stadium because of the poor hitting background. I thought that this deal was discussed by Tom Yawkey and Larry MacPhail which would have placed it in 1946 or early 1947. According to When the Boys Came Back during the Brooklyn/St Louis playoff, Dave Egan reported that Ted would not be with Boston in 1947. He would have either been traded to Detroit for Hal Newhouser or to the Yankees for DiMaggio. Yawkey was slow denying the DiMaggio rumor. The author (Frederick Turner) placed the Yawkey/MacPhail discussion early in the 1946 season, when DiMaggio was off to a bad start and Yawkey was pissed at Williams about something.

If this discussion was in 1946, I doubt that the Red Sox would have been interested in Yogi Berra. More likely they would have pushed for Aaron Robinson if they were looking for a catcher.
    Last edited by ; 08-10-2005, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by four tool
      The trade was discussed in 1949, way to late for Joe to have an impact on the Sox or on his numbers--but Ted in Yankee for the last decade of his career? That would be interesting
      How true you are!
      I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

First I heard of 46 or 47, but then again Ted once said he was ready to leave the Sox after 1939, according Leigh Montville's book.

Comment

Originally posted by Chancellor
          Many of you have, like myself, heard about the infamous trade wherein the Red Sox and Yankee owners were drinking together late one night and agreed to swap their star players - Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio. I've heard the trade fell apart the next morning alternately because one or both of the owners sobered up or because Tom Yawkey (the Boston owner) was adamant about the Yankees throwing in a young Yogi Berra to boot.

Does anyone know what the actual story is? When was this supposed to have happened? And, most curiously, when and where did this story first appear? What's the earliest appearance of this anecdote that any of you know of?
          In Red Barber's book "1947" he tells this story. However, there is no mention at all of Berra. I'm curious: Where'd you here that part?
          CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Comment

Originally posted by BoofBonser26
            In Red Barber's book "1947" he tells this story. However, there is no mention at all of Berra. I'm curious: Where'd you here that part?
            Did he mention the MM lap dance?

Comment

Originally posted by sschirmer
              Did he mention the MM lap dance?
              Um...that'd be a big "no".
              CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Comment

Originally posted by BoofBonser26
                Um...that'd be a big "no".
                That's what Joe D was screaming, "Nooooooooo!"

Comment

The colour of victory

Originally posted by BasEbaLlKnoItAll
                  i always thought this subject was very interesting. I remember a few weeks ago a saturday morning radio host (not a well-known guy, I dont remember his name, hes on 1050 ESPN Radio if anyone happens to know his name) and he played a clip of an interview he did with Joe concerning this very subject. Joe seemed as if he would have preffered to stay with the Yankees, but also said he would have embraced the opprotunity of plying in Fenway and also playing with Dom. As a Yankee fan I have to admit that it would have been very nice if we Had Ted in pinstripes, but fir the better of the franchise im glad we stuck with Joe.

I also have never heard that the Sox requested Yogi Berra, pretty interesting.

Amazing what money can buy, aint it?
                  "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                  Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Appling
                    Timing is everything!
                    If such a trade were made after the 1948 season, I have no doubt that the Yankees would have benefitted more. (Unless they had to throw in young Yogi Berra -- which I never heard before.)
                    I could easily imagine Berra being a sort of "throw-in" in the trade talks principally involving other players pre-1950. Coming up to the major leagues, nobody (not even the Yankee scouts) thought that Yogi had the physical attribute to be a superstar. It wasn't until the 1950 season that Yogi would prove to be an extraordinary asset.

Timing is everything, as you say. But during the offseason of 1948-49, I don't think a straight-up trade involving Williams and Joe D. would have been as obviously lopsided, as you paint it. Dimaggio was about 3.5 years older than Williams. Joe D. was older, but he was a better all-around player. And he was still in the prime of his career. As a matter of fact, he won the MVP award in 1947, and actually IMPROVED on many of his offensive numbers in '48. Before the 1949 season started, there was absolutely no indication whatsoever that Joltin' Joe, at 34, was slowing down or that retirement was anywhere near.

But then came the painful heel injury. Then came missing the first half of 1949. Then, and only then, does it become clearly apparent to everyone that a Williams-Dimaggio trade would have been a lopsided one in favor of NY.

But had a trade somehow taken place, it is interesting to speculate how Teddy Ballgame would have done with the Yankees. Yankee Stadium may very well have been tailor-made for him. The only question mark would have been his relationship with manager Casey Stengel. I could easily imagine those two huge egos clashing with each other. And as great as Teddy may have been, I doubt that that he would have won a PR battle with the 'ole Professor. The NY press loved Casey. And so did the fans (that's what winning 10 pennants in 12 years will do for you.) Yankee Stadium would have been big enough for only one of them, and I don't think Casey would have been the one sent packing.

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                      I think that the thing with Williams more than being dominated was being ignored...his mother was out bell ringing for the Salvation Army all day, his father worked in his photo studio all hours to make sure that he didn't see her. Ted and Danny effectively get no parenting as a result. He said that his playground manager was the only adult to give him any attention!

Ted and Danny each dealt with it in their own way: Ted the athlete and Danny the juvinile deliquent.

Comment

[QUOTE=Appling;361638]

Ted might have done very well in New York -- great park for LH pull hitter. But only if he could handle the NY press, which I doubt. Yankee fans and media seem to prefer "home grown" talent over "imports".

QUOTE]

I remember reading that Williams hated hitting at Yankee Stadium because of the poor hitters background. If he was to be traded, he probably would have welcomed a deal to Detroit so that he could hit regularly at Briggs Stadium.

Comment

[QUOTE=EdTarbusz;957627]
                          Originally posted by Appling View Post

Ted might have done very well in New York -- great park for LH pull hitter. But only if he could handle the NY press, which I doubt. Yankee fans and media seem to prefer "home grown" talent over "imports".

QUOTE]

I remember reading that Williams hated hitting at Yankee Stadium because of the poor hitters background. If he was to be traded, he probably would have welcomed a deal to Detroit so that he could hit regularly at Briggs Stadium.
                          Hear it from the man himself, Ted Williams on Yanke Stadium.
                          Attached Files

Comment

More Ted on hitting at Yankee Stadium.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                              More Ted on hitting at Yankee Stadium.
                              Ted's career line at Yankee Stadium (157 games) was .309/.484/.543

Contrast that with hitters' paradises St. Louis, where he hit .399 with a .750 slugging average and Fenway, where his line was .361/.496/.652.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X