Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has seen a no-hitter in person?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who has seen a no-hitter in person?

    I've seen two no-hitters in person, both at Dodger Stadium. I saw Kevin Gross no-hit the Giants in 1992 and I saw the Braves Kent Merker no-hit the Dodgers in 1994. These are the only two games I've ever seen at Dodger Stadium! Also, in the Merker no-hitter, Chan Ho Park made his major league debut at age 20. He was the first Korean ever to play in the majors. I almost saw a third no-hitter at Candlestick Park. Hideo Nomo threw a one-hitter against the Giants (1995, I think). The only hit was an infield single by Mark Carreon.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

  • #2
    I once almost saw a perfect game thrown by Esteban Yan in the Minors. But it was broken up in the 9th.

    Comment


    • #3
      The closest to a no hitter that I've been at was Mike Mussina's one hitter in Fenway where he was one strike away from a perfect game and Carl Everett blooped a single to center.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have seen in the same season, 2001 I saw A.J. Burnett and Bud Smith throw no hitters in Qualcomm Stadium against the Padres. Also in that same season Curt Schilling had a perfect game broken up the eighth inning. Schilling and Randy Johnson combined on a one hitter, an electrical transformer exploded in the third inning and the game was resumed the next day with Johnson striking out 16 and giving up the only hit a single in the eighth inning. What a season for the Padres hitters.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Samuel Adams
          The closest to a no hitter that I've been at was Mike Mussina's one hitter in Fenway where he was one strike away from a perfect game and Carl Everett blooped a single to center.
          I remember that game. Believe it or not, that's the closest I've ever come to even seeing one on TV, and I'm not talking about when they cut over to one with one out in the ninth.
          I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

          Comment


          • #6
            no hitters

            I have seen 2 no hitters

            1)NOLAN RYAN 1973 no hitter at TIGER STADIUM vs detroit. sat in the upper deck 1st base side of tiger stadium for the game

            2)JULY 1 1990 old comiskey park ANDY HAWKINS no hitter on comiskey parks 80th birthday. sat in upperdeck left field at old comiskey.
            LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

            Comment


            • #7
              I was at jason schmidts one hitter of the cubs. miserable game for me. h

              Comment


              • #8
                In 2002, I saw a minor league no-hitter by Kip Bouknight, the 2000 Golden Spikes award winner. He pitched for Salem (VA) and beat Frederick. It was a 9-inning complete game, too, not one of those 7-inning deals that are common in the minors.

                In my very first MLB game ever (1983), I saw Storm Davis no-hit the Tigers for eight innings before giving up a home run to Detroit's Rick Leach.

                Comment


                • #9
                  kevin brown: marlins v giants at the stick on 10 june 1997. i remember so much of that game 'cause one of my brothers and i celebrated my deceased father's birthday by going to that game. the score was 9-0.

                  nolan ryan: rangers v a's at the oakland coliseum on 11 june 1990. i treated my father for his birthday. we wanted to see the express before he was done... but he sure had lots left in him. it was awesome. it was one of the most memorable baseball games that i ever had with my father, and we went to hundreds.

                  kevin gross: the hated dodgers v giants at the stick in august 1992(?).

                  terry mulholland: phillies v giants at the stick in 1990.
                  "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                    ...I almost saw a third no-hitter at Candlestick Park. Hideo Nomo threw a one-hitter against the Giants (1995, I think). The only hit was an infield single by Mark Carreon.
                    it was in 1995, wags. i was at that game. i think i saw you there.
                    were you eating a hot dog in the sixth inning?

                    that was the game where the giants honored their own masanori murakani (sp?), the first japanese player to play in the majors. the media were out in full force - japanese media were there by the dozens. but nomo refused to take part in the ceremony because of something that murakami (sp?) said.
                    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tom Browning - after what seemed like 2 hours of rain

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Since this question was phrased broadly...I caught a no-hitter by Kevin Rostenkowski (former Congressman Dan's nephew) for the Schaumburg Braves of the old Chicago NW Suburbs NABA league. Dude could throw 5 pitches for strikes. Unfortunately, that game was too much for Kevin's arm and he was ineffective for the rest of the season. The victim's were our arch enemies and the 2nd best team in the league, the Black Sox. You can guess which team was the best in the league.
                        As for players of actual ML talent, I was lucky enough to see a Ryan NH in its entirety on TV in Dallas. He started against Toronto and was wild as anything for a few innings, Jays better kept swinging at pitches around their eyes. I had something to do but decided to not leave until the Jays got a hit. I never got around to my task as Nolan settled down and still keep blowing the Jays away.
                        I don't think that I've ever seen a really low hit game in person, although I must admit that I don't score games and might have had one slip by.
                        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                          kevin brown: marlins v giants at the stick on 10 june 1997. i remember so much of that game 'cause one of my brothers and i celebrated my deceased father's birthday by going to that game. the score was 9-0.

                          nolan ryan: rangers v a's at the oakland coliseum on 11 june 1990. i treated my father for his birthday. we wanted to see the express before he was done... but he sure had lots left in him. it was awesome. it was one of the most memorable baseball games that i ever had with my father, and we went to hundreds.

                          kevin gross: the hated dodgers v giants at the stick in august 1992(?).

                          terry mulholland: phillies v giants at the stick in 1990.
                          This game was at Dodger Stadium on August, 17th, 1992.
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I saw the only no-hitter tossed at Bank One Ballpark to date: June 25, 1999 with St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Jose Jimenez on the mound against Randy Johnson (Jimenez pitched the no hit, 1 - 0 decision against the Dbacks)
                            John

                            Stan Musial Pages
                            CultureDose Media Reviews

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
                              I have seen 2 no hitters

                              1)NOLAN RYAN 1973 no hitter at TIGER STADIUM vs detroit. sat in the upper deck 1st base side of tiger stadium for the game

                              2)JULY 1 1990 old comiskey park ANDY HAWKINS no hitter on comiskey parks 80th birthday. sat in upperdeck left field at old comiskey.
                              Your first no-hitter I did watch on KTLA channel 5 in LA with Dick Enberg and Don Drysdale announcing it. Ron Luciano was the plate umpire and Norm Cash came to bat with a table leg. Ryan had 17 Ks that game as well. It may have been among the finest games ever pitched that was no a perfect game. Shoot, my mom even watched that game because it was quite compelling.

                              I know my parents saw one of Koufax's no hitters at the Ravine. It may have been my mom's (and dad's for that matter) first MLB game.
                              http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X