Major league players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major league players

How many major league players came from the town you live in? I live in Dayton, Ohio and these are the ones I know.

Steve Yeager - catcher for the Dodgers for quite a few years

Mike Schmidt - you've probably heard of him. His parents still live here.

Bob Borkowski - played for the Dodgers in the 50's, I believe. Still lives here.

Bobby Durnbaugh - played in only 2 games and had one at bat. Grounded out to short. Still lives in the Dayton area. Reminds me of Moonlight Graham.

Roger Clemens - don't know if we can really claim him. He was born here but his family moved out of state when he was around four years old.

There may have been more but I didn't research this. Just off the top of my head.
    Last edited by driver62; 08-27-2005, 12:16 PM.

Two that I'm aware of: Frank Lary and Al Lary.

Comment

Aaron Rowand

Brian Cooper

These are the 2 I am aware of that went to my high school and played in the majors. There are quite a few players from the surrounding areas that have played in the majors. A few that come to mind are Mark McGwire, Jason Giambi, Jeremy Giambi, Shawn Wooten, Jeremy Reed, Jim Edmonds. They all played at schools that are within 20 minutes of my house.

And special note for Kurt Brown, the 6th overall pick in the 1985 draft, from my high school. But he doesn't count for this list since he never made the majors.

Comment

Vancouver Washington

Richie Sexson
        Brian Hunter

Comment

Former Dodgers/Giants OF Goody Rosen

Former Athletics pitcher Dick Fowler

Former Tigers pitcher John Hiller

Journeyman OF Rob Ducey

Those four are the longest serving MLB players from around here.

Jesse Crain was born here as well. As far as I know, he's the only active MLer from these parts.
          sigpic

Comment

Jefferey Francouer ( went to my highschool )

Frank Thomas

J.D Drew
            Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

And Dale Murphy was in my friends old neighborhood.
              Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

I got Jack Dilauro, Bob Knepper, Art Kusnyer, Ron Negray, Kenny Robinson, Bob Spade, Jeff Tabaka, Bill Upham, Buck Washer Fortunately, I also got Bob Knepper, Thurman Munson, Sam Wise and Gene Woodling I used to live within a couple miles of Dale Mohorcic, go to church with Andre Thornton and school with Mike Birkbeck.
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by driver62
                  How many major league players came from the town you live in? I live in Dayton, Ohio and these are the ones I know.

Steve Yeager - catcher for the Dodgers for quite a few years

Mike Schmidt - you've probably heard of him. His parents still live here.

Bob Borkowski - played for the Dodgers in the 50's, I believe. Still lives here.

Bobby Durnbaugh - played in only 2 games and had one at bat. Grounded out to short. Still lives in the Dayton area. Reminds me of Moonlight Graham.

Roger Clemens - don't know if we can really claim him. He was born here but his family moved out of state when he was around four years old.

There may have been more but I didn't research this. Just off the top of my head.
                  Ya also got Terry Bell, Dan Bickham, Dave Coleman, Mark Dempsey, Duffy Dyer, Clyde Engle, Howard Freigau, Cal Hogue, Todd Hollandsworth, Ducky Holmes, Bernie Hungling, Footer Johnson, Mark J. Johnson, Dave Krynzel, Mike Maddux, Mickey McGuire, Harry McIntire, Travis Miller, Mike Mohler, Ron Nischwitz, Bill Otey, Jeff Reboulet, Fred Scherman, Chris Spurling, Dutch Ussat, Marc Valdes, Cory Vance, Mark Dempsey,
                  PLUS ya got guys with actual talent like Dave Burba, Chris Chambliss, Mike Mitchell if ya count Springfield
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                  Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Arcadia, CA

Bruce Bochte is one. Shea Hillenbrand live here until high school and player Little League and Pony League before his family moved to Arizona.

Tim and Todd Worell were also from Arcadia, since they went to Maranatha High which was in Arcadia at that time. Dave Hostedler, Mike Smith, played for Arcadia High and Marty Barrett, Eddie Pierce, Pat Larkin and John Grabow were born in Arcadia.

Babe Dahlgren was living in Arcadia when he died and Irv Noren lived in Arcadia and I went to school with his daughter in Jr High.

Not bad for a city better known as the home of Seabiscuit.
                    http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

I live in Alameda, Ca and went to Encinal High School. Professional baseball players that also went to my high school are Willie Stargell (for whom our baseball field is named after "Stargell Field") and Dontrelle Willis. Dontrelle was actually in my PE class sophomore year, except he is a year older than me. I never knew he'd be as good or famous as he is now, heh.
                      "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms,
                      munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesteve32
                        Irv Noren lived in Arcadia and I went to school with his daughter in Jr High.
                        I celebrate Christmas eve every year with his sister. He is currently living down in San Diego area, Carlsbad I believe. He has given me many a signed baseball by some of the greats of the '50s and '60s.

Comment

Earl Park, IN...

Not one MLB in history was from Earl Park, IN. (although we had quite a few deadball players in my county) Cy Williams is probably the most famous one of them all (Wadena- about 5 minutes from my town). Currently, we have a lefty pitcher in AAA with the Mets.

Actually, if you want to know the truth... I don't think there was one professional player that was born from Earl Park... in all sports.
                          Last edited by The Splendid Splinter; 08-29-2005, 08:46 AM.
                          "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
                          Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                          Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                          Bo Jackson

Comment

Matt Kinney

thats it

although Chief Sockalexis is only 15 minutes away
                            Last edited by Blackout; 08-28-2005, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I live in Huntsville, AL.

My hometown is Huntsville, AL. Jimmy Key is the only MLB player that I have heard of who was born and raised in Huntsville, AL. However, many MLB players lived less than one mile from my house at an Apartment Complex. Jason Giambi, Miguel Tejada, Ben Grieve, and many more famous MLB players played on the Huntsville Stars AA minor league baseball team, and the whole team lived at an apartment complex called Huntington Apartments in Huntsville, AL.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X