• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Hyde, where art thou?

BASEBALL_TRIVIA_NUT

No, I don't want to know where is he now? I just want to remind
    the old school baseball trivia buffs of the baseball animal that
    Dick Hyde was, the submarining baseball hurler for the Washington Senators in the late 50's, early 60's.

He won with that style of pitching and so did Ted Abernathy.
    Carl Mays and Eldon Auker also were successful submariners in their
    day, so there have been a few baseball animals like Dick Hyde in
    major league baseball.

Ok, fans, give me a list of submariners who pitched successfully
    in major league baseball and then you can go back to sleep!

Have at it!

BASEBALL_TRIVIA_NUT

RE: Dick Hyde, where art thou?

The late,great Dan Quisenberry(KC Royals).....The Quiz.....R.I.P.

Comment

Perhaps the first "submariner" was William Pearl "Buck" Rhines (1869-1922) He pitched for the Cincinnati Redlegs from 1890-1897 and with Pittsburgh 1898-1899. He died in Ridgeway, Pa. His obituary states: "Rhines was one of the first men in the national pasttime to use an underarm delivery in pitching. It is claimed by many that he was the first successful major league twirler to toss in this manner. Carl Mays of the New York Yankees uses the same style of delivery."

Comment

Sorry, I forgot some important details: 1890 Rhines pitched 401 innings, gave up 87 earned runs (ERA 1.95)and had a 28-17 record. Does any other submariner have a better record? Lifetime Rhines was 112-107 with a 3.48 ERA in 248 games and 1891 innings pitched. Seems pretty good to me.

Comment

How about 70's and 80's relievers Gene Garber and the Rubber Band Man - Kent Tekulve. Does he still hold the record for most games pitched in a career?
          Let's rid baseball of the pestilence of the DH now and forever!

Comment

Tekulve is the all-time major league leader in RELIEF appearances with 1,050, but he's still 20 games short of Wilhelm's record of 1,070 TOTAL GAMES PITCHED.

Comment

Correction:

TEKULVE still holds the NL record of games pitched (1,050) , but JESSE OROSCO holds the ML record of 1,131.

ECKERSLEY has the AL record (869).

HOYT WILHELM held the ML record of 1,070 games until OROSCO surpassed it.

Comment

Terry Leach, a highly over-looked player (even by his own Mets managers). In an emergency situation in 1987 (when Gooden was in Smithers Clinic), Leach was put into the starting rotation, and put together a very, very impressive won-loss record for the Mets.

Also, I still remember listening on the radio (WCAU, Philadelphia), to the game in which he one-hit the Phillies over 10 innings in 1982.

Comment

Dick is my father-in-law

I know this is a REALLY old thread, but, just in case BASEBALL TRIVIA NUT was still somewhat interested I could tell you, even though you said you weren't really asking!

tlhyde

Comment

Among active pitchers, Chad Bradford and BY Kim...
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

So where is Dick Hyde?

Hi, TL. I've always been fascinated by submarine pitchers and I read about Dick Hyde in the Great Baseball Card Flipping and Trading Book (or something like that). Hope he's still around and if so, where is he?
                      Thanks!!

Comment

all the pitchers were submariners prior to 1872 - as higher release points were legalized most pitchers adopted them for belief that not to do so would shorten their careers

the underhand delivery found new life in the 1890s because of the relative rareness of the delivery style not because of any other great factor

some early 20th century submariners:
                        bill phillips
                        deacon phillippe
                        jack warhop
                        joe mcginnity
                        carl mays

the style fell out of use except for perhaps eldon auker during the 1930s

the style found a resurgence in the 1970s and beyond mainly by relievers:

ted abernathy
                        tekulve
                        quisenberry
                        mark eichhorn
                        chad bradford
                        byung-hyun kim, etc.

Comment

Mike Myers, currently the situational lefty for the Yankees (and for the Red Sox for a couple years before that) is another guy to throw on the list. Weird looking delivery, but he's only allowed one run so far this year, so I guess it works ^_^

Comment

I asked this on the Trivia Forum. Here it was/is.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=43095

Bill

Comment

Nice research, bk!

Hey, bkmckenna,

Where did you come up with all that great research on submarine pitchers? Really nice work! I have to say though, that Tekulve and Abernathy were sidearmers and labeled submariners, whereas Mays and Auker really came from down under. So did Horacio Pina with the Senators and (I believe) the Cubbies.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X