Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jschneid
    Hey, bkmckenna,

Where did you come up with all that great research on submarine pitchers? Really nice work! I have to say though, that Tekulve and Abernathy were sidearmers and labeled submariners, whereas Mays and Auker really came from down under. So did Horacio Pina with the Senators and (I believe) the Cubbies.
    This is a pet topic of mine; I wrote an article some years back. I interviewed Abernathy, who was influenced by Hyde and said his knuckles scraped the ground sometimes. Sure doesn't sound sidearm to me.

I have direct memories of Tekulve -- he and Quiz also were really nice about interviews for that piece, as was Elden Auker -- and I wouldn't call him a sidearmer either.

Eckersley sure wasn't submarine, and neither was Garber. Eichhorn was low sidearm (a 3:30 delivery), while Leach and Jeff Innis were more like 4:00-4:30.

Comment

Sorry - foggy memories of Abernathy's delivery

My bad, VIBaseball. Thanks for the correction. It just bothers me a little how sports anouncers will refer to a guy a submarine when he's way up at, say, 4:00. Where can I find the article you wrote?

Originally posted by VIBaseball
      This is a pet topic of mine; I wrote an article some years back. I interviewed Abernathy, who was influenced by Hyde and said his knuckles scraped the ground sometimes. Sure doesn't sound sidearm to me.

I have direct memories of Tekulve -- he and Quiz also were really nice about interviews for that piece, as was Elden Auker -- and I wouldn't call him a sidearmer either.

Eckersley sure wasn't submarine, and neither was Garber. Eichhorn was low sidearm (a 3:30 delivery), while Leach and Jeff Innis were more like 4:00-4:30.

Comment

Hey, bkmckenna,
        Where did you come up with all that great research on submarine pitchers? .
        a game of inches by peter morris - best book of the year so far

Comment

Where can I find the article you wrote?
          It was in the now-defunct Inside Sports, I believe in 1990. I don't believe it's online anywhere. I know I still have a couple of hard copies stashed away somewhere. It would be a question of digging out the box and making a scan or Xerox.

Another guy featured was the late Steve Olin, whom Quiz called "the submariner of the future" -- though my recollection was that he was more of a 4:30 type like Leach too.

Comment

The article you wrote

Originally posted by VIBaseball
            It was in the now-defunct Inside Sports, I believe in 1990. I don't believe it's online anywhere. I know I still have a couple of hard copies stashed away somewhere. It would be a question of digging out the box and making a scan or Xerox.

Another guy featured was the late Steve Olin, whom Quiz called "the submariner of the future" -- though my recollection was that he was more of a 4:30 type like Leach too.
            At your convenience and my cost, I'd love to see a copy. Sounds like great reading. Good discussion!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X