• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jschneid
    replied
    The article you wrote

Originally posted by VIBaseball
    It was in the now-defunct Inside Sports, I believe in 1990. I don't believe it's online anywhere. I know I still have a couple of hard copies stashed away somewhere. It would be a question of digging out the box and making a scan or Xerox.

Another guy featured was the late Steve Olin, whom Quiz called "the submariner of the future" -- though my recollection was that he was more of a 4:30 type like Leach too.
    At your convenience and my cost, I'd love to see a copy. Sounds like great reading. Good discussion!

Leave a comment:

• VIBaseball
    replied
    Originally posted by jschneid
    Where can I find the article you wrote?
    It was in the now-defunct Inside Sports, I believe in 1990. I don't believe it's online anywhere. I know I still have a couple of hard copies stashed away somewhere. It would be a question of digging out the box and making a scan or Xerox.

Another guy featured was the late Steve Olin, whom Quiz called "the submariner of the future" -- though my recollection was that he was more of a 4:30 type like Leach too.

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    Hey, bkmckenna,
    Where did you come up with all that great research on submarine pitchers? .
    a game of inches by peter morris - best book of the year so far

Leave a comment:

• jschneid
    replied
    Sorry - foggy memories of Abernathy's delivery

My bad, VIBaseball. Thanks for the correction. It just bothers me a little how sports anouncers will refer to a guy a submarine when he's way up at, say, 4:00. Where can I find the article you wrote?

Originally posted by VIBaseball
    This is a pet topic of mine; I wrote an article some years back. I interviewed Abernathy, who was influenced by Hyde and said his knuckles scraped the ground sometimes. Sure doesn't sound sidearm to me.

I have direct memories of Tekulve -- he and Quiz also were really nice about interviews for that piece, as was Elden Auker -- and I wouldn't call him a sidearmer either.

Eckersley sure wasn't submarine, and neither was Garber. Eichhorn was low sidearm (a 3:30 delivery), while Leach and Jeff Innis were more like 4:00-4:30.

Leave a comment:

• VIBaseball
    replied
    Hey, bkmckenna,

Where did you come up with all that great research on submarine pitchers? Really nice work! I have to say though, that Tekulve and Abernathy were sidearmers and labeled submariners, whereas Mays and Auker really came from down under. So did Horacio Pina with the Senators and (I believe) the Cubbies.
    This is a pet topic of mine; I wrote an article some years back. I interviewed Abernathy, who was influenced by Hyde and said his knuckles scraped the ground sometimes. Sure doesn't sound sidearm to me.

I have direct memories of Tekulve -- he and Quiz also were really nice about interviews for that piece, as was Elden Auker -- and I wouldn't call him a sidearmer either.

Eckersley sure wasn't submarine, and neither was Garber. Eichhorn was low sidearm (a 3:30 delivery), while Leach and Jeff Innis were more like 4:00-4:30.

Leave a comment:

• jschneid
    replied
    Nice research, bk!

Hey, bkmckenna,

Where did you come up with all that great research on submarine pitchers? Really nice work! I have to say though, that Tekulve and Abernathy were sidearmers and labeled submariners, whereas Mays and Auker really came from down under. So did Horacio Pina with the Senators and (I believe) the Cubbies.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    I asked this on the Trivia Forum. Here it was/is.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=43095

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Aqua
    replied
    Mike Myers, currently the situational lefty for the Yankees (and for the Red Sox for a couple years before that) is another guy to throw on the list. Weird looking delivery, but he's only allowed one run so far this year, so I guess it works ^_^

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    all the pitchers were submariners prior to 1872 - as higher release points were legalized most pitchers adopted them for belief that not to do so would shorten their careers

the underhand delivery found new life in the 1890s because of the relative rareness of the delivery style not because of any other great factor

some early 20th century submariners:
    bill phillips
    deacon phillippe
    jack warhop
    joe mcginnity
    carl mays

the style fell out of use except for perhaps eldon auker during the 1930s

the style found a resurgence in the 1970s and beyond mainly by relievers:

ted abernathy
    tekulve
    quisenberry
    mark eichhorn
    chad bradford
    byung-hyun kim, etc.

Leave a comment:

• jschneid
    replied
    So where is Dick Hyde?

Hi, TL. I've always been fascinated by submarine pitchers and I read about Dick Hyde in the Great Baseball Card Flipping and Trading Book (or something like that). Hope he's still around and if so, where is he?
    Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Among active pitchers, Chad Bradford and BY Kim...

Leave a comment:

• tlhyde
    replied
    Dick is my father-in-law

I know this is a REALLY old thread, but, just in case BASEBALL TRIVIA NUT was still somewhat interested I could tell you, even though you said you weren't really asking!

tlhyde

Leave a comment:

• Glen Slater
    replied
    RE: Dick Hyde, where art thou?

Terry Leach, a highly over-looked player (even by his own Mets managers). In an emergency situation in 1987 (when Gooden was in Smithers Clinic), Leach was put into the starting rotation, and put together a very, very impressive won-loss record for the Mets.

Also, I still remember listening on the radio (WCAU, Philadelphia), to the game in which he one-hit the Phillies over 10 innings in 1982.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Correction:

TEKULVE still holds the NL record of games pitched (1,050) , but JESSE OROSCO holds the ML record of 1,131.

ECKERSLEY has the AL record (869).

HOYT WILHELM held the ML record of 1,070 games until OROSCO surpassed it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Tekulve is the all-time major league leader in RELIEF appearances with 1,050, but he's still 20 games short of Wilhelm's record of 1,070 TOTAL GAMES PITCHED.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X