Wagner
    Aaron
    Gehrig
    Rose

Leave a comment:

• Chisox
    replied
    Originally posted by BiggestYankeeFan_in_Memphis View Post
    Collecting hits isn't sononymous with great hitter. Title of thread top 10 hitters;
    with your mention of hits, A HR is still a hit.
    From the first post:
    Pick your top 10 hitters When I say this, I mean the ones with many hits and good batting averages.

Reading ALL the post is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• yankeesfan8926
    replied
    Originally posted by BiggestYankeeFan_in_Memphis View Post
    Collecting hits isn't sononymous with great hitter. Title of thread top 10 hitters;
    Hitting a bunch of HR's doesn't make you one of the best pure hitters in baseball history. Every man on my list could hit anything, singles, doubles, triples ... AND average. That's what makes a Top 10 hitter of all time.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestYankeeFan_in_Memphis
    replied
    Originally posted by Chisox View Post
    I really hope you are kidding. Either that or have no clue what the thread was about--the 10 best at collecting hits.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestYankeeFan_in_Memphis
    replied
    Originally posted by yankeesfan8926 View Post
    1. Ty Cobb
    2. Rogers Hornsby
    3. Honus Wagner
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Tony Gwynn
    6. Joe Jackson
    7. Tris Speaker
    8. Willie Keeler
    9. Nap Lajoie
    10. George Sisler
    Nuts you people are NUTS!!!!
    1. Babe Ruth
    2. Babe Ruth
    3. Babe Ruth
    4. Babe Ruth
    5. Babe Ruth
    6. Ted Williams
    7. Ty Cobb
    8. Lou Gerhig
    9. Mickey Mantle
    10.Honus Wagner

Leave a comment:

• yankeesfan8926
    replied
    1. Ty Cobb
    2. Rogers Hornsby
    3. Honus Wagner
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Tony Gwynn
    6. Joe Jackson
    7. Tris Speaker
    8. Willie Keeler
    9. Nap Lajoie
    10. George Sisler

Leave a comment:

• Chisox
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishEyes12 View Post
    These are the most remarkably stupid lists I have ever seen. None of you know anything about baseball.

Ruth HR-714, AVG.342, SLG-.690

Try to compare anyone else to his numbers. You can't. It is him and far and away, then everyone else a very distant second. The rest of your lists are wrong too.

1.Ruth
    2.Williams
    3.Cobb
    I really hope you are kidding. Either that or have no clue what the thread was about--the 10 best at collecting hits.

Leave a comment:

• IrishEyes12
    replied
    These are the most remarkably stupid lists I have ever seen. None of you know anything about baseball.

Ruth HR-714, AVG.342, SLG-.690

Try to compare anyone else to his numbers. You can't. It is him and far and away, then everyone else a very distant second. The rest of your lists are wrong too.

1.Ruth
    2.Williams
    3.Cobb

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by TRfromBR View Post

Tony better than Teddy, Double X? Could you please explain what you mean by that?
    If we're using just BA as the criteria here, Gwynn had a higher BA relative to league than Ted Williams. Gwynn hit .338 for his career when the adjusted league BA was .262. That gives Gwynn a +129 BA. Williams on the other hand hit .344 when the adjusted league average was a very healthy .277. That gives Williams a +124 BA. Thus Gwynn's BA was higher relative to league than Williams'.

Now I wouldn't say Gwynn was a better all around hitter, as Williams has that far and away and Williams is the only hitter, IMO that can legitimately challenge Ruth as greatest overall hitter ever; but the simple fact is that relative to league, Gwynn hit for a better BA than Williams. Moreover, no single player has hit higher relative to league than Gwynn since Ty Cobb. So if we're talking just about who is the best hitter for average all time, that is a conversation that must necessarily include Gwynn, IMO (though Williams would also be in the conversation).
    Last edited by DoubleX; 05-22-2007, 02:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tyrus4189Cobb
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
    If you're using BA as criteria, there really is no reason to leave out Tony Gwynn from the top 10. He has the highest BA relative to league since Ty Cobb. That is astounding and pretty much means that in terms of BA, Gwynn is the best hitter since Ty Cobb, and Gwynn did it amidst a higher level of competition. Rod Carew and Wade Boggs should also get mention.
    I do tip my hat to Carew and Boggs. But i don't just use BA as criteria. It is ability to hit. Aaron batted a litttle over .300, but he has the third highest amount of hits (3771) so he is in my list.

Leave a comment:

• TRfromBR
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
    If you're using BA as criteria, there really is no reason to leave out Tony Gwynn from the top 10. He has the highest BA relative to league since Ty Cobb. That is astounding and pretty much means that in terms of BA, Gwynn is the best hitter since Ty Cobb, and Gwynn did it amidst a higher level of competition. Rod Carew and Wade Boggs should also get mention.

Tony better than Teddy, Double X? Could you please explain what you mean by that?

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    Pick your top 10 hitters When I say this, I mean the ones with many hits and good batting averages. My top ten hitters:

1) Ty Cobb
    2) Rogers Hornsby
    3) Nap Lajoie
    4) Ted Williams
    5) Stan Musial
    6) Tris Speaker
    7) Honus Wagner
    8) Pete Rose
    9) Hank Aaron
    10) Babe Ruth
    Honarable Mentions: Paul Waner, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, Harry Heilman, Roberto Clemente, George Sisler, Tony Gwynn, Hank Greenburg.

Leave a comment:

• Tyrus4189Cobb
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Pete Rose higher than Babe Ruth?
    Now that I think about it, I should change it.
    My new list is the same but the last three are:

8) Hank Aaron
    9) Babe Ruth
    10) Pete Rose

Thank-you HWR. I should have reviewed my list more precisley. Ruth was a better hitter than Rose.

Leave a comment:

• Tyrus4189Cobb
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'm unclear as to the thread criteria. Are you asking us to rank high BA hitters, overall? Please be more specific, so we can all get on the same page.
    BA and good hitters. Combine these two qualities. For example, Rose didn't hit a very good average(well, it was pretty good) but he did get the most hits. Nap Lajoie was great and would have gotten 3000(maybe 4000) hits had he played a longer career, but he didn't even though his BA is still great. Some people believ that if he had better speed, he would have batted .500.

Anyway, just combine the player's ability to get hits and hit for average. Then make the list of who can do this the best.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    I'm unclear as to the thread criteria. Are you asking us to rank high BA hitters, overall? Please be more specific, so we can all get on the same page.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X