Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best all-time outfield?

hmm this could be interesting

would the Red Sox be able to include Manny?

if so, I'd add Williams-Yaz-Manny

but he spent more of his career with the Indians i believe
    Yankees: Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle
    83.33%
    Giants: Mays, Bonds, Ott
    5.56%
    Tigers: Cobb, Crawford, Kaline
    5.56%
    other
    5.56%
    Last edited by Blackout; 10-02-2005, 06:56 PM.

If you're talking about outfielders who actually played together:

1970s Red Sox: Rice-Lynn-Evans
    1910s Red Sox: Lewis-Speaker-Hooper
    late 1930s Yanks: Keller-DiMaggio-Henrich

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
      would the Red Sox be able to include Manny?

if so, I'd add Williams-Yaz-Manny

but he spent more of his career with the Indians i believe
      This year is Manny's 5th year in Boston out of 13 total. But his production over those 5 years are impressive enough to be included in the red sox all time outfield.

Comment

--All 3 of those guys were LF and only Yaz was a GOOD LF. That would be a horrendous defensive OF.

Comment

Dehleanty Hamilton Thompson' s the best outfield ever

Comment

Best in today's game off the top of my head:
            1. Manny Ramirez/Johnny Damon/Trot Nixon
            2. Vlad Guerrero/Steve Finley/Garret Anderson
            3. Barry Bonds/Moises Alou/Randy Winn
            4. Adam Dunn/Ken Griffey/Willy Mo Pena
            5. Tori Hunter/Jaque Jones/Shannon Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by yest
              Dehleanty Hamilton Thompson' s the best outfield ever
              damn right, no question about it. Say what you like about 1894, but the only all .400 outfield tops the list.

And I like the creative spelling there too.
              "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Ruth, DiMaggio and Mantle are the obvious top choice for a franchise outfield, but Speaker, Williams and a Yaz/Manny platoon would be pretty respectable as well.
                "The numbers are what brought me here; as it appears they brought you."
                - Danielle Rousseau

Comment

Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle is topps, but I like Delahanty, Hamilton, Thompson too.

For a wildcard pick: R. Henderson, D.Henderson, Canseco

Comment

Hitting .400 wasn't really that big a deal in 1894. The league averaged .309, and Hugh Duffy hit .440.
                    "The numbers are what brought me here; as it appears they brought you."
                    - Danielle Rousseau

Comment

Come on, if you're going to say that, then hitting .400 wasn't a big deal in the 20's either. Christ the NL hit .303 in 1930- do the names Hack Wilson and Bill Terry ring any bells.

But the point was that those three are an or the all-time outfield who played TOGETHER. They were together for years anyhow, not just 94, that was simply their offensive peak.

Are there any other all HOF outfields who played together during their prime? Not like the 28 A's or anything, but all during their peak years.
                      "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

--Ty Cobb, Sam Crawford and Bobby Veach played together for the Tigers for several peaks years for all three. Veach isn't a Hall of Famer, but he is close to that standard. Cobb was significantly better than any of the Phillie trio and Crawford was also probably better than any of them.
                        --Ruth and Combs were also 2/3 of a Hall OF, with Bob Muesel about as good as Veach. Combs is a questionable selection, however, and not as good as Crawford or any of the 3 Phillies.
                        --Not coming up with another 3 HoFer at their peak OF. Any other 2 HoF plus a very good player groups come to mind?
                        P.S. Honus Wagner and Fred Clarke played the OF together several years before Honus settled at SS. In 1900 at least they were joined by Ginger Beaumont, who was as good as Veach and Muesel (and perhaps better than Combs, although Combs is in the Coop and Beaumont is not). Speaker, Hooper (another weak HoFer IMO) and Duffy Lewis (not as good as Veach or Muesel) had several season together.

Comment

Oscar Charleston, Cool Papa Bell, Jimmie Crutchfield of the Pittsburgh Crawfords.

Comment

It wasn't an outfield that lasted a long time but. . .
                            Hack Wilson, Riggs Stephenson, and Kiki Cuyler. When they were firing on all cylinders they were just as deadly as any outfield out there.

Or the "it sounds good but never was. . . "
                            Billy Williams, Lou Brock, and Big George Altman

Two HoF'ers and an all star. Sounds great never produced. George was in his prime, Lou was a struggling to find himself and would soon be traded and Billy Williams was still a pup and wouldn't hit his stride until much later.

Comment

In 1961, you had Mantle, 61* Maris and Yogi Berra in the outfield for the Yanks (Yogi played 87 games in the outfield). Of course, Yogi was getting up there in years and was platooning with .222 hitting Hector Lopez, so left field probably wasn't the strongest link in that chain...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X