No announcement yet.

Best all-time outfield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle slighty over Mays, Bonds, Ott.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Comment

For two HOF players and a gold-glove CF: the 1942 Cardinals (Enos Slaughter, Stan Musial, and Terry Moore). OPS+ of 156, 151, and 114, respectively.

In the same year, the Yankees may have had one of the best ever outfields, too. DiMaggio, Keller and Henrich had OPS+ values of 121, 147, and 163.

Now, without looking it up, which one had which OPS+?

The three Yankees were even better the year before, scoring OPS+ of 184 (Joe), 162 (Charlie) and 136 (Tommy).

Comment

All time easily Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle

Second easily Bonds, Mays, Ott
        "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
          Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle is topps, but I like Delahanty, Hamilton, Thompson too.

Loved the OF of Delahanty, Hamilton and Thompson...

Other good ones:
          1887 Wolverines
          Sam Thompson
          Ned Hanlon
          Hardy Richardson

Mid 1890's O's:
          Steve Brodie
          Willie Keeler
          Joe Kelley
          "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
          ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
            --Not coming up with another 3 HoFer at their peak OF. Any other 2 HoF plus a very good player groups come to mind?
            The '61 Yanks fielded Mantle in CF, Maris in RF, and Berra in LF.
            "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
              --Ty Cobb, Sam Crawford and Bobby Veach played together for the Tigers for several peaks years for all three. Veach isn't a Hall of Famer, but he is close to that standard. Cobb was significantly better than any of the Phillie trio and Crawford was also probably better than any of them.
              That would be the best outfield that had ever played together.

But with the rules of the poll, I voted the Yankees.

Comment

Others:
                The Alous
                Andre Dawson, Tim Raines and Warren Cromartie

Comment

This is pretty straightfoward, but I'm surprised that Mays, Bonds, and Ott haven't received any support. I think I'd take them over Cobb, Crawford, and Kaline (who have 1 vote).

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                    This is pretty straightfoward, but I'm surprised that Mays, Bonds, and Ott haven't received any support. I think I'd take them over Cobb, Crawford, and Kaline (who have 1 vote).
                    bigstellypadres4life is also the same guy who thinks trevor hoffman is better than mariano rivera

his vote is very suspect

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                      I voted for the Yanks. But I have no problem with the Tigers. three great hitters. And few could argue that Kaline had one of the top ten OF arms in the last 50 years.. Fropm what I understand Cobb and Crawford weren't slouches withe the glove, either.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                      Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Some people will gasp, but for 1 season, the '84 Red Sox were right there. Off the top of my head, Rice was .284 with 28 HRs, Evans .295 with 32 and Armas .268? with 43. Evans and Armas were both gold glove caliber. At that time period, those numbers were scary.

Comment

I think that Giants' outfield might be a little better with Mays, Bonds & Bonds.
                          “I see great things in baseball.”
                          Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by yest
                            Dehleanty Hamilton Thompson' s the best outfield ever
                            another vote for this one

Comment

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=23651

Your Best All-Around Outfield Ever:

All-Around, all things considered. Offense, defense, intangibles, etc.

1. Speaker/Lewis/Hooper - 1910-15 - Red Sox - Defense deluxe, with good hitting blended in.

2. Veach/Cobb/Crawford - 1913-16 - Detroit - Offense deluxe, 2 good gloves.

3. Ruth/Combs/Meusel - 1925-29 - Best slugger, good fielder, 2 all time arms.

4. Hamilton/Delahanty/Thompson - 1891-95 - Philadelphia - A runner, 2 hitters.

5. Clarke/Beaumont/Wagner - 1902 - Pittsburgh - wonderful balance of gifts.

6. Jackson/Felsch/Leibold - 1916-20, not '18 - White Sox - 2 great fielders, 1 all time bat.

7. Skinner/Virdon/Clemente - 1957-62 - Pittsburgh - 2 great fielders, 1 wonderful bat.

8. Veach/Cobb/Heilmann - 1916-17, 1921-23 - Detroit - Deluxe offense.

9. Harper/Vada Pinson/F. Robinson - 1962-65 - Cincinatti

Depending on others to help me on the post-1950 guys.

Bill Burgess

Comment

very nice list mr. [email protected]

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X