Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny14
    replied
    In 1969, the Cardinals needed to replace the retired Roger Maris in RF, so they traded little known Bobby Tolan to the Reds for a great outfielder, Vada Pinson. The outfield of Brock, Flood, and Pinson was supposed to be the fastest ever and one of the best ever.

The rest of the story was that Pinson had a terrible year – batted .255, his worst average ever until his final year in ’75 in KC and only started 120-125 games – so he was traded the next year to Cleveland for Jose Cardenal. The Cardinals, after winning the WS in 1967 and losing to the Tigers in 7 games in ’68, finished 4th in the division in the first year of divisional play in 1969, one of the most disappointing seasons ever by a defending champion. Not only did they get rid of Pinson, but they tried to trade Flood. He refused to go to the Phillies, and the rest is history.

Of course, the other part of the story was that Tolan had a stellar year for the Reds in 1969 (and again in 1970), and he was probably as fast as Pinson was supposed to be. The Reds became the Big Red Machine, winning over 100 games in 1970 for the first time since before WWII.

Makes you wonder how baseball might have changed if Pinson had had an average year or if Tolan had remained with the Cards. If the Cardinals had not traded Flood, how long would it have been before someone else had the guts to give up his career to fight the reserve clause?

Leave a comment:

• The Commissioner
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected]
    http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=23651

Your Best All-Around Outfield Ever:

All-Around, all things considered. Offense, defense, intangibles, etc.

1. Speaker/Lewis/Hooper - 1910-15 - Red Sox - Defense deluxe, with good hitting blended in.

2. Veach/Cobb/Crawford - 1913-16 - Detroit - Offense deluxe, 2 good gloves.

3. Ruth/Combs/Meusel - 1925-29 - Best slugger, good fielder, 2 all time arms.

4. Hamilton/Delahanty/Thompson - 1891-95 - Philadelphia - A runner, 2 hitters.

5. Clarke/Beaumont/Wagner - 1902 - Pittsburgh - wonderful balance of gifts.

6. Jackson/Felsch/Leibold - 1916-20, not '18 - White Sox - 2 great fielders, 1 all time bat.

7. Skinner/Virdon/Clemente - 1957-62 - Pittsburgh - 2 great fielders, 1 wonderful bat.

8. Veach/Cobb/Heilmann - 1916-17, 1921-23 - Detroit - Deluxe offense.

9. Harper/Vada Pinson/F. Robinson - 1962-65 - Cincinatti

Depending on others to help me on the post-1950 guys.

Bill Burgess
    That is an excellent list, but I think the creator of this thread had in mind the best all-time outfield comprised of a team's all-time best outfielders. That makes it a very tough call.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Originally posted by GooeyDiamondTacoHogSkin
    very nice list mr. [email protected]
    Don't tell me. Could it be?

Leave a comment:

• GooeyDiamondTacoHogSkin
    replied
    very nice list mr. [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=23651

Your Best All-Around Outfield Ever:

All-Around, all things considered. Offense, defense, intangibles, etc.

1. Speaker/Lewis/Hooper - 1910-15 - Red Sox - Defense deluxe, with good hitting blended in.

2. Veach/Cobb/Crawford - 1913-16 - Detroit - Offense deluxe, 2 good gloves.

3. Ruth/Combs/Meusel - 1925-29 - Best slugger, good fielder, 2 all time arms.

4. Hamilton/Delahanty/Thompson - 1891-95 - Philadelphia - A runner, 2 hitters.

5. Clarke/Beaumont/Wagner - 1902 - Pittsburgh - wonderful balance of gifts.

6. Jackson/Felsch/Leibold - 1916-20, not '18 - White Sox - 2 great fielders, 1 all time bat.

7. Skinner/Virdon/Clemente - 1957-62 - Pittsburgh - 2 great fielders, 1 wonderful bat.

8. Veach/Cobb/Heilmann - 1916-17, 1921-23 - Detroit - Deluxe offense.

9. Harper/Vada Pinson/F. Robinson - 1962-65 - Cincinatti

Depending on others to help me on the post-1950 guys.

Bill Burgess

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    Originally posted by yest
    Dehleanty Hamilton Thompson' s the best outfield ever
    another vote for this one

Leave a comment:

• baseball junkie
    replied
    I think that Giants' outfield might be a little better with Mays, Bonds & Bonds.

Leave a comment:

• brett
    replied
    Some people will gasp, but for 1 season, the '84 Red Sox were right there. Off the top of my head, Rice was .284 with 28 HRs, Evans .295 with 32 and Armas .268? with 43. Evans and Armas were both gold glove caliber. At that time period, those numbers were scary.

Leave a comment:

• soberdennis
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    This is pretty straightfoward, but I'm surprised that Mays, Bonds, and Ott haven't received any support. I think I'd take them over Cobb, Crawford, and Kaline (who have 1 vote).
    I voted for the Yanks. But I have no problem with the Tigers. three great hitters. And few could argue that Kaline had one of the top ten OF arms in the last 50 years.. Fropm what I understand Cobb and Crawford weren't slouches withe the glove, either.

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    This is pretty straightfoward, but I'm surprised that Mays, Bonds, and Ott haven't received any support. I think I'd take them over Cobb, Crawford, and Kaline (who have 1 vote).
    bigstellypadres4life is also the same guy who thinks trevor hoffman is better than mariano rivera

his vote is very suspect

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner
    replied
    Others:
    The Alous
    Andre Dawson, Tim Raines and Warren Cromartie

Leave a comment:

• ThePeach
    replied
    Originally posted by leecemark
    --Ty Cobb, Sam Crawford and Bobby Veach played together for the Tigers for several peaks years for all three. Veach isn't a Hall of Famer, but he is close to that standard. Cobb was significantly better than any of the Phillie trio and Crawford was also probably better than any of them.
    That would be the best outfield that had ever played together.

But with the rules of the poll, I voted the Yankees.

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied
    Originally posted by leecemark
    --Not coming up with another 3 HoFer at their peak OF. Any other 2 HoF plus a very good player groups come to mind?
    The '61 Yanks fielded Mantle in CF, Maris in RF, and Berra in LF.

Leave a comment:

• Baseball Guru
    replied
    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle is topps, but I like Delahanty, Hamilton, Thompson too.

Loved the OF of Delahanty, Hamilton and Thompson...

Other good ones:
    1887 Wolverines
    Sam Thompson
    Ned Hanlon
    Hardy Richardson

Mid 1890's O's:
    Steve Brodie
    Willie Keeler
    Joe Kelley

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse