No announcement yet.

worst owner ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The theft of the franchise from Brooklyn was the most vile moment in the history of mlb and why people must never forget. As a matter of fact during the 60's the Smithsonian did a study and found the theft of this franchise was the turning point in many people's, not just from Brooklyn, view point of why baseball no longer gave a damn about the fans.

The fact is during the 11 year period from 1947 to 1957, the Brooklyn franchise won 6 NL championships, 1 World championship, lost the pennant on the last day of the season twice. Other than the Yankees, that's a run of success almost unprecedented in major league history.

The fact is the Brooklyn franchise led the NL in attendance during the 11 year period from 1947 to 1957 despite the fact, and remember this is the 50's, every home game and 2/3 of the road games not counting the 11 games in NY were on free television.

A sub human piece of slime owner not happy with making the 2nd most amount of money in baseball was not happy with that. While Brooklyn was celebrating the 1956 NL championship and playing in the World Series, this sub human was entertaining emissaries from LA in his private box.

He told the people of Brookyn it was the politicians who were keeping him from giving them a dream ball park at the corner of Atlantic and Flatbush Avenues in Brooklyn. One small problem, that was not public land at the time and NY State law prohibited the city and/or state from condemning land beling to one private organization to give to another private organization. He also claimed he would finance the building of the stadium by taking the games off free televison and replacing it by pay television, despite the fact the technology did not exist in 1957.

Brooklyn never got and will never get a team back that made it special. Brooklyn is not the same as NYC; they were considered a separate city when the NL was formed in 1890 and considered a separate city throughout their history in the NL. The Mets represent nYC but do not represent Brooklyn.

There were 2 other nebulous franchise shifts in sports...The Colts from Baltimore but a couple of years later Baltimore got an NFL franchise back so there's a void of a couple of years but Baltimore has NFL football. Cleveland was another job almost as bad as Brooklyn, but not only did they get their team back but they even got the name back too so while there is a couple of years of void, it has been rectified.

What has been done to rectify what was done to Brooklyn? If you think the Mets are the substitute you know little about Brooklyn.

There was only one Brooklyn Dodgers and it was stolen from the people of Brooklyn by a sub human slime ball who was by far, and there is no close second, the worst owner ever.

Comment

The Dodgers moving to LA may have been bad for Brooklyn, but it's just Brooklyn. It was wonderful for the MLB as it gave millions more the chance to experience major league baseball. That is what is most important. Without that move, baseball would be nothing today. The Braves moving to Milwaukee, Dodgers and Giants to California, Senators moving to Minnesota were very healthy moves for baseball. Maybe some poeple can't recognize that (a lot of) life does exist west of NY and having the teams concentrated in one area where nobody can see them outside of the northeast is a horrible thing. Maybe it was the worst thing Major League Baseball did for Brooklynites, but it was the best thing that happened for the rest of the baseball world. Who Brooklynites call scum I call a visionary.
      Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
      I hope that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chisox
        The Dodgers moving to LA may have been bad for Brooklyn, but it's just Brooklyn. It was wonderful for the MLB as it gave millions more the chance to experience major league baseball. That is what is most important. Without that move, baseball would be nothing today. The Braves moving to Milwaukee, Dodgers and Giants to California, Senators moving to Minnesota were very healthy moves for baseball. Maybe some poeple can't recognize that (a lot of) life does exist west of NY and having the teams concentrated in one area where nobody can see them outside of the northeast is a horrible thing. Maybe it was the worst thing Major League Baseball did for Brooklynites, but it was the best thing that happened for the rest of the baseball world. Who Brooklynites call scum I call a visionary.
        I have to agree with a lot of that because I'm from Baltimore and I'll give you O'Malley did the move and the positive consequences followed for all of MLB (not baseball but MLB) - especially the owner's pockets - but the vision was already there. he was the one who actually capitalized on it sure but he was lucky in that respect too.

- the PCL was highly successful for decades, they put on a quality show and the fans supported such
        - the NFL had moved to the west coast in 1946, demonstrating the feasibility of air travel
        - Don Barnes had the transfer of the St. Louis Browns to Los Angeles virtually completed in December 1941 but the Japanese military bombed Pearl Harbor, dashing the ambitious plans
        - the braves moving to milwaukee (and the attendence boom) really opened everyone's eyes about the potential of the west
        - what really made this move possible was television and advertisers like Gillette (the real visionaires). In 1951 coaxial cable was finally strung over the Rocky Mountains allowing live television to be seen throughout the nation (previously all video was taped and reran on the other side.) This immediately benefited the San Francisco 49ers and Los Angeles Rams in the NFL, who had taken a big risk (guaranteeing visiting clubs higher gate receipts to compensate for the extra travel) uprooting to the West Coast from Cleveland in 1946. Soon, the major leagues would become interested in California.

Keep in mind that MLB is a monopoly and has always operated as such. Others have always paid the price, always a bigger price, for MLB decisions. Like the Negro leagues, the PCL was devastated by MLB's incursions. They developed the area or players and big daddy came in an took it. This encroachment is why "organized baseball" was developed. Why any minor league team would subjucate themselves within the framework of the National Association. This all was made possible because of television could not broadcast anywhere. They probably didn't realize it that day but when the coaxil cable reached California, the PCL would be changed forever.

If you want a modern example this very thing - almost the exact same sequence of events - look at how the WWE took over the entire professional wrestling market after Vince McMahon purchased the company from his father.

Comment

No one here is complaning about the st louis browns moved to baltimore.The only fans whining about browns moving to baltimore are those fans on lake erie.

Comment

Originally posted by steveox
            No one here is complaning about the st louis browns moved to baltimore.The only fans whining about browns moving to baltimore are those fans on lake erie.
            The Browns of St. Louis never drew. And, 40 years is 40 years. There were plenty of rumors about them moving, including to LA. It certainly can't be on the fans for what Art Modell did when the City of Cleveland wouldn't give him what he asked for. Unlike the Gunds or the Erteguns.
            Two different stories, altogether. Besides, this is Baseball Fever. Football discussion is off topic.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
              The Brooklyn thing is a overdone. O'Malley made a tough decision and proved to be farsighted in his thinking. Financially, the game thrived because of it - New York got another team within four years and baseball tapped the West Coast.

Many other cities in baseball, and other sports have been so victimized.

O'Malley made a greedy, deceptive decision. Baseball at that time was a professional sport, not just a cash cow. The team was making money and was loved by New Yorkers, and the games were well attended. O'Malley was the worst owner, he betrayed the fans solely for greed. I hope he has the hottest spot in hell.:grouchy
              No, I'm never going to get over the Dodgers leaving New York!

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
                The Phillies had the only two owners barred from the game:

William Cox and Horace Fogel

:gt

Those the names i would throw out there.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverGetOverIt
                  O'Malley made a greedy, deceptive decision. Baseball at that time was a professional sport, not just a cash cow. The team was making money and was loved by New Yorkers, and the games were well attended. O'Malley was the worst owner, he betrayed the fans solely for greed. I hope he has the hottest spot in hell.:grouchy
                  Sorry, that spot is reserved for people who drive too slowly in the fast lane of the freeway. :grouchy
                  http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

Worst Owner is this man hands down!

Orioles were one of the best franchises and peter angelos ruined it.

Comment

My soapbox please! It's been my goal for some time to remind people what a scumbag John Brush was. Below is a re-print from what I posted in the "greatest villans" thread. The thing that seperates Brush from the others is that he was allowed to keep doing these thing for years, with 3 different teams (Indianapolis, Cincinnati, New York Giants).

Created and pushed through the "Brush classification system", a psuedo-salary cap that rated players based on last years stats and required all players in each class to be paid exactly the same, much lower than salaries at the time. This led to the players' strike of 1890.

Owned Cincinnati of the NL and Indianapolis of the Western League at the same time. Freely traded players back and forth to make the Reds the better team, which was against the rules at the time.

Traded Christy Mathewson to the Giants for Amos Rusie. A traded of one HOFer for another seems like a good deal, but Rusie had been out of baseball for over a year with arm problems. Rusie pitched 3 games then retired. Mathewson was 17 years old and had never pitched in the bigs. He turned out to be fairly good. Brush had secretly bought controlling interest in the Giants and made the trade to take Matty with him.

Even when he does something beneficial it was by accident. As owner of the Reds he solved his on-going fued with Cincy sportswriter Ban Johnson by getting him a job as commissioner of the Western League. When Johnson changed the name to the American League and declared it a major league, Brush refused to recognize the league and even went to court to keep the AL from putting a team in New York (not such a bad idea for us Yankee haters).

Boycotted the 1904 world series as owner of the Giants due to his still strong fued with Ban Johnson:

"The Giants will not play a post season series with the American League champions. Ban Johnson has not been on the level with me personally, and the American League management has been crooked more than once."
                      -John T. Brush

Sorry for the long post, but I really dislike John T. Brush.
                      As a Reds' fan it still breaks my heart that Mathewson had 378 wins for the Giants vs. 1 for the Reds.

Comment

Although he certainly doesn't quality as "worst ever," Detroit Tigers owner Mike Ilitch has conducted a clinic on how to take a good franchise and totally run it into the ground.

The Tigers were one of the most respected franchises in pro sports when Ilitch purchased the team. Since then, the Tigers have notched 12 straight losing seasons. In addition, Ilitch was responsible for abandoning Tiger Stadium.

And, another notch on his resume: Ilitch was the first owner to install those rolling advertisements behind home plate. For that alone, he at least gets honorable mention.
                        "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

Has anyone mentioned Jeffrey Loria yet? He's in the process of deliberately ruining his second franchise. He's like the owner from the movie Major League.

Comment

Worst Owner

Chas. Comiskey. I'll tell you why. I blame him for the 1919 Series fix. He refused to pay his players top dollar. Only Eddie Collins, 2b, was earning an honest paycheck, so to speak, $14,500. Collins had it in his contract. The rest of the team earned between $3,000 to $9,000. Shoeless Joe Jackson I
                            believed made $6,000. Meal money players got $3.00 a day, compared to $4.00 what other teams of the day were getting. He refused to clean the unfiorms. When the players wore dirty uni's, Comiskey had money deducted from their checks to clean them. When they won the pennant in '19
                            their bonus, case of flat champagne. Let's not forget the bonus of $10,000 promised to Cicotte if he won 30 games. Comiskey had Cicotte out of the rotation in order not to pay Cicotte the bonus when Ciccotte won 29.

Comiskey hands down.

Comment

Well I wouldn't nominate Freedman or Brush...without them, baseball would have been alot different...their greed backfired for the greater good of the game

Just on what they did

William Cox of the Phillies...banned for life for gambling, what a way to spend money on a club then lose it in a blink of an eye...good going moron

Comment

That would have to be Comiskey becasue well you all know what happend
                                2007 World Series Prediction Chicago Cubs Win against Detroit Tigers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X