No announcement yet.

All-Time leader in pitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing back an old researcher thread. Ah, the classics. Some things never change.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
      Bringing back an old researcher thread. Ah, the classics. Some things never change.
      What eponym did you work under prior to August of 2005, Ubi, and why'd you create a new account, if so?

You oft speak as if you've been here since the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001
        From an August 2004 Hardball Times article: What Pitch Counts Hath Wrought.

Let's compare these totals to those of some past greats:
        Nolan Ryan 90,211
        Steve Carlton 83,355
        Gaylord Perry 82,147
        Don Sutton 80,526
        Warren Spahn 79,613
        Bert Blyleven 77,310
        Tom Seaver 73,560
        Tommy John 72,708
        Early Wynn 72,607
        Robin Roberts 70,037
        Jim Kaat 69,743
        Red Ruffing 68,599
        Ferguson Jenkins 68,494
        Frank Tanana 65,931
        Ted Lyons 63,783
        Bobo Newsom 62,303
        Bob Feller 62,255
        Dennis Martinez 62,091
        Lefty Grove 61,642
        Bob Gibson 61,301
        Jack Morris 60,991
        Jim Palmer 60,666
        Jerry Koosman 60,425
        Jim Bunning 58,338
        Mickey Lolich 57,420

Special knuckleballer category:
        Phil Niekro 85,110
        Charlie Hough 61,166

Just for the hell of it, some deadballers:
        Cy Young 107,114
        Walter Johnson 87,528
        Pete Alexander 75,973
        Christy Mathewson 69,644

My question is...do these estimates even factor in the lack of a foul strike rule for the first 13 seasons (4800 innings) of his career? I doubt it does.

And if it doesn't, it's scary to think what Young's total would be had it factored in all of those extra pitches thrown simply due to the rule difference.
        You're telling me we have the pitch count of Cy Young, but we do NOT have caught stealing for the NL in 1950?
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          You're telling me we have the pitch count of Cy Young, but we do NOT have caught stealing for the NL in 1950?
          We don't have the actual pitch counts from game logs (those records were only kept en masse from 1987-present, from what I can find). The lists above are the results of mathematical estimates based mainly on the flux of PA's, BB's, and K's thoughout history. They've been checked against the actual counts and have been proven to be pretty precise.

But still, how many foul balls are hit, on average, during the course of a season against a pitcher? That estimate of 107,000 career pitches thrown for Cy Young is certainly tens of thousands of pitches too low, if it doesn't factor the lack of a foul strike rule into the equation (which, to my knowledge, it does not).

I can send you the links to other related articles, if you're interested, RMB.

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001
            What eponym did you work under prior to August of 2005, Ubi, and why'd you create a new account, if so?

You oft speak as if you've been here since the beginning.
            An educated guess would seem to tell me he was cubbieinexile? Am I right, Ubi?

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
              An educated guess would seem to tell me he was cubbieinexile? Am I right, Ubi?
              Yeah, I'd always figured so also, but we get no response from him. More curious is why he'd have to create a new anonymous account.

Originally I thought he was "therealnod", but then he and the person posting under "therealnod" got into a vicious exchange/name calling contest, so that hypothesis died.

Comment

Its odd what people will label vicious or how they view a discussion. I guess people see what they want to see.

Comment

i might be wrong but wasn't paul richards the first to give serious consideration to pitch count?

was it harder for young to strike out a batter back in the day when men choked up and slapped at the ball? or was his speed/stuff that much greater than the norm that he had a relatively easy time doing so?

i think it is interesting to note that rube waddell's strikeouts per game ratio is the best in baseball prior to World War II - he pitched in the same slap hitting era - he had johnson-esk speed but he was lefthanded - perhaps an oddity making him more difficult to handle
                  Last edited by Brian McKenna; 01-23-2006, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Who are the top 10 all time in pitches thrown?

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
                      Who are the top 10 all time in pitches thrown?
                      http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#elem=[object+Object]&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+pitchi ng&game_type=%27R%27&season=2013&season_type=ALL&l eague_code=%27MLB%27&sectionType=sp&statType=pitch ing&page=1&ts=1389479915568&split=&playerType=ALL& timeframe=&sortColumn=np&sortOrder=%27desc%27&exte nded=1

Sort the NP column. It obviously doesn't include everyone, but these may be actual totals, not estimates
                      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                        http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#elem=[object+Object]&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+pitchi ng&game_type=%27R%27&season=2013&season_type=ALL&l eague_code=%27MLB%27┬žionType=sp&statType=pitching& page=1&ts=1389479915568&split=&playerType=ALL&time frame=&sortColumn=np&sortOrder=%27desc%27&extended =1

Sort the NP column. It obviously doesn't include everyone, but these may be actual totals, not estimates
                        Clear as mud in March, RMB. Please provide a link the rest of us can actually access, and utilize.

Thanks.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X