top five weirdest players in history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top five weirdest players in history

List the top five weirdest players in history and why!!!!!!!!!!
    mine are:

1- Rube Waddell- runs of the field to fight fires in the middle of a game, his salary of $2200 in 1908, he wanted it in 1 dollar bills because of his spending problems. he went to jail for beating a man up for making fun of his pitching (connie Mack bailed him out). got bit my a lion, whestled aligators in the off season. before games ran from center field to home in the mean time undress to get changed into his uniform. would leave for weeks and know one whould know where he went. list goes on!!!!!

2- Ty Cobb- black man offered to shake his hand, he slapped him, then tried to stanggle his wife!! another time he ran into the stands and beat up a man with one arm(i beleive), he replies "i dont care if he has no arms"!! spiked men regularly and injurying most. but loved the game!!!

3- Germany Shaeffer- one game, he was a running on first, stole second, then stole first again!!!!! and then ran back to second resulting in a run from third on a over throw to second. another game he went into the game as a pinch hitter, alittle drunk also turned and said to the crowd "you will see the greatest hit of all time", (somethign like that) and first pitch hit a homerun. but while running the basees, slide into everyone and swearing at the crowd! when he was home he said "that will conclude this act thank you" (i think thats what was said) crazy guy

4- Albert Belle- had anger problems, tried to run over kids on halloween because his house was egged, but an ok player

5- Cap Anson- vary racist, and refused to play a game in the 1800's because of a black man on the other team. and they didnt play!!! which banned black ppl to play baseball for a long time!

Moe Berg, Charlie Faust, Eddie Gaedel, Pete Gray and Carl "There were no dinosaurs, they aren't in the bible" Everett are my picks, not exactly in that order.

Comment

Didn't Jimmy Piersall run around the bases backwards for his 100th HR? That ain't right!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Met
        Didn't Jimmy Piersall run around the bases backwards for his 100th HR? That ain't right!

yeah but the "dinosaurs" have alot of interesting stories thats why i picked them

Comment

This thread is in the wrong area, but
          Mark Fidrych
          the guy who brushes his teeth between innings (former Cub, Turk Wendell?)
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

i don't know about "weirdest," but king kelly is among the funniest. rabbit maranville as well...

Comment

Pete Browning has to be up there.
              Who was the guy who took three called strikes after his manager told him to take a few pitches once in a while, then came back to the dugout and said he could have parked any one of those pitches if he had felt like it, so don't tell him he can't take a pitch?
              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

I wouldn't consider Anson, Cobb, or Belle to be weird. Weird is usually meant to mean funny and sometimes bad, but harmless. Anson, Cobb, and Belle were nasty. Waddell fits well under the weird category, as would others mentioned like Fidyrich, Maranville, Turk Wendell. Another one is Dizzy Dean.

If you want to talk about a weird career pattern, look at Roy Sievers. Ned Garvin was also weird, 57-97 career record with a 124 ERA+.

Comment

Waddell was mentally unstable - he just played in an era few were sensitive to it. Today, he may be considered weird but people would be more considerate and get him under a doctor's care instead of calling names and making jokes.

In all likelyhood Cobb was unstable as well.

Comment

Dick Allen

Comment

The Spaceman...
                      THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Waddell was nuts, but Ossie Schreck (his roommate) was weird- if you have to insist on a clause in your contract banning your roommate from eating animal crackers in bed- not the crackers per se, but "just the ones with horns" as Schreck(engost) claimed he had a problem with- then you're as weird as your retarded superstar roommate.
                        "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Waddell - high-functioning autistic, undiagnosed
                          Cobb - emotionally unstable
                          Dean- smart self-marketing
                          Fidyrich - zany, wacky
                          Anson - hateful
                          Schreckenghost - enjoy having fun
                          Al Belle, Richie Allen - couldn't handle pressure
                          Rod Dibble, John Rocker - who knows, who cares?

Comment

Wade Boggs, the hyper-superstitious self-described "sex addict", is a pretty strange guy.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                              Waddell - high-functioning autistic, undiagnosed
                              Cobb - emotionally unstable
                              Dean- smart self-marketing
                              Fidyrich - zany, wacky
                              Anson - hateful
                              Schreckenghost - enjoy having fun
                              Al Belle, Richie Allen - couldn't handle pressure
                              Rod Dibble, John Rocker - who knows, who cares?
                              Don't forget Alex Johnson and Jimmy Piersall

and the drug abusers Gooden, Stawberry, Howe, Blue, etc.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X