Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the best defensive player of All-Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Brooks ...

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-02 AT 01:50 AM (EST)]You may be looking at the wrong DiMaggio! Dom was the best of the three brothers!

He covered more ground than Joe, and he had a better arm. Dom had more
    put-outs per game than Joe, and beat Joe every time they had a throwing contest...

When Boston and NY would play, sometimes the two brothers would have
    a contest, by throwing the ball from the deep outfield at a basket
    sitting on home plate. ...Dom DiMaggio would throw the ball, and 1-2 hops into the basket....Joe would have to pack it in.

Joe would tell everyone that his brother was a better fielder than
    he was....But Joe could hit the ball.
    pb::

Comment

ozzie smith, the play where hes diving for a ball and it hit a rock and went back the other way and he grabbed it with his bare hand was the greatest play ever.
      my all-century team:
      OF-Ty Cobb
      SS-Honus Wagner
      OF-Willie Mays
      OF-Babe Ruth
      1B-Lou Gehrig
      2B-Rogers Hornsby
      C-Johnny Bench
      3B-Mike Schmidt
      P-walter johnson
      RP-who needs relief when you have Walter Johnson?

Comment

P: Greg Maddux
        C: Johnny Bench
        1B: Kieth Hernandez
        2B: Bill Mazeroski
        3B: Brooks Robinson
        SS: Ozzie Smith
        OF: Tris Speaker
        OF: Willie Mays
        OF: Mike Cameron
        ---There are 100 CF better than the best corner OF ever.
        I'll go with Smith as best ever for the same reason I picked 3 CF and no RF or LF. An average SS has more defensive value than the best 3B who ever lived. If Brooks could have played SS, he would have played SS. For the Ichiro fan - he was not the best defensive OFer on his team until Cameron left this year. I've seen about 85% of his games and he hasn't been anywhere near as good as Cameron. I would like to see him in center now though to see what he could do.

Comment

Paul Blair and Devon White were both cream of the crop

Comment

definitive word

Jim Edmonds and Omar Vizquel, Ken Griffey, Jr. should have been mentioned by now. good point about Brooks R. not making the team at shortstop.
            What about Terry Puhl? top fielding average for outfielders, career, in history.

are we counting the arm or only the leather?
            Why you do this to me, Dimi?

Comment

--I'd say arm is defiantely part of the defensive package we're talking about. As to Puhl, don't give him too much credit for fielding percentage. That is a pretty small part of what makes up a great defensive outfielder (or player period). I'm alot more interested in how many balls they get too. With very few exceptions, the difference in fileding percent is only a few balls a year - the difference is in the dozens for range factor.

Comment

Brooks would sure be my defensive 3b, with Clete Boyer a close second.

Hard to beat the Say Hey Kid in center. But you sure couldn't go wrong with a Paul Blair (remember, we aren't talking about hitting).

Maz was amazing at second - especially in the years he teamed with Gene Alley at short and both were healthy. He had Dick Groat before Alley, who was adequate, but more known for his excellent bat.

Ozzie was awfully acrobatic at short. Mark Belanger made some tremendous plays at short. Teamed with Brooks, you couldn't get much on that side of the infield. Better try Davey and Boog's side.

Ken Berry was another one of those all field, little hit guys. What a glove that guy had in the OF though.

Jerry Grote was an awfully good defensive catcher. Not the best, but very good. I also liked Tony Pena behind the plate. I didn't like Tony Pena the player, but he was one heck of a catcher - the most unorthodoxed style I've ever seen.

Comment

I'm working on my Gold Gloves awards, and at least statistically Brooksie appears to be a bit overrated
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                  Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

C: Bench (with a strong nod to Buck Ewing and Roger Bresnahan)
                    1B: George Sisler
                    2B: Maz
                    SS: Ozzie Smith
                    3B: I'm going to go out on a limb on this one and say Alex Rodriguez. If any of you have yet to watch a Yankee game this season, you have to if for no other reason than to see ARod play 3B. I watched a lot of Schmidt's games in Philly, and he wasn't a patch on ARod. I guess that's what happens when you take a gold glove SS and move him to 3B.
                    LF: Barry Bonds (I'm drawing blanks on other great defensive LF's... he was, statistically at least, better than Yaz)
                    CF: Tris Speaker (I can't believe nobody mentioned him before you, Leecemark)
                    RF: Roger Maris (I'm sure I could think of a better rightfielder if I tried hard, but people tend to forget that he was a phenomenal defensive player)
                    P: Kaat
                    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

In response to an earlier statement, If Ichiro keeps it up - for a long while - he could be considered the best defensive right fielder.

Comment

Halo - Alex hasn't been at the position long enough to be considered with the likes of Brooks, etc. But, if you want to choose a Yankee for best defenseman at third, you couldn't go wrong with Clete Boyer (I'm Boyer biased - Ken Boyer was my favorite player when I was a kid - and he wasn't bad defensively or offensively).

Alex is a tall, lanky son of a gun. I wouldn't be surprised to see him evolve into a first sacker in a few years, ala Ernie Banks. Of course, he's still young, but his height is much more fitting for a first baseman. I always thought Cal Ripken would wind up at first (tall, lanky), but he never did.

Comment

Re: RE: Who is the best defensive player of All-Time?

Originally posted by VELCROHIDE
                          [updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-02 AT 12:05 PM (EST)]When you think of the small- barely fitting over the hand-gloves used back in the early 1900s the men playing during those times had to have "good" hands to catch the ball because you pretty much were using your hands and had very minimal assistance from the glove.

So, taking a player from that era I'll go with Honus Wagner. Tris Speaker is right on his heels.
                          Then go with Bid McPhee
                          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Re: RE: Who is the best defensive player of All-Time?

Originally posted by LouGehrig
                            But from what I have read, Chase was as graceful, efficient, and mean as any first baseman ever.
                            Chase was only the best fielding 1B in 1911

Comment

I am the only one that tends to think Willie Mays is a bit overrated at CF?

I mean, Mays is one of my favorite players, ranks easily in my top 5 of all time greatest, but defensively I do agree with an earlier poster that there are probably 5-6+ center fielders that were better defensively than Mays.

Sure, I'd probably take Mays over them on my team for his other talents, but defensively I think he gets edged out by several guys, but gets a lot of credit because of flashy plays he made.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs
                                I am the only one that tends to think Willie Mays is a bit overrated at CF?

I mean, Mays is one of my favorite players, ranks easily in my top 5 of all time greatest, but defensively I do agree with an earlier poster that there are probably 5-6+ center fielders that were better defensively than Mays.

Sure, I'd probably take Mays over them on my team for his other talents, but defensively I think he gets edged out by several guys, but gets a lot of credit because of flashy plays he made.
                                He might be slightly overrated, just not as much as Mantle is overrated

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X