Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the best defensive player of All-Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for players I've actually seen in my lifetime I'd be hard pressed to judge between Brooks and Ozzie but given the demands of their respective positions I'd have to give the nod to Ozzie.

Comment

Brooks Robinson Bar none!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs
        I am the only one that tends to think Willie Mays is a bit overrated at CF?

I mean, Mays is one of my favorite players, ranks easily in my top 5 of all time greatest, but defensively I do agree with an earlier poster that there are probably 5-6+ center fielders that were better defensively than Mays.

Sure, I'd probably take Mays over them on my team for his other talents, but defensively I think he gets edged out by several guys, but gets a lot of credit because of flashy plays he made.
        Yeah, Mays' glove was probably overrated. There's really no reason, I think, to believe he was any better than Curt Flood, Garry Maddox, Paul Blair, Tris Speaker, Richie Ashburn, Andruw Jones, or any of the other world-class centerfielders in baseball history.
        "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
          How can you discuss great defensive Yankee third basemen without mentioning Graig Nettles? Nettles was very fast with extremely quick hands, and I've heard some people say he was almost as good as Brooks Robinson. Nettles put on an amazing show of defensive wizardry in the 1978 World Series, and if it wasn't for his fielding and Reggie Jackson's hitting, the Yankees wouldn't have beaten the Dodgers in '78.
          I saw Graig Nettles play from the time he was playing AAA ball with the Denver Bears to his last harrah as a Brave and Expo. But Graig was not the defensive wizard Brooks was. The only player I saw that rivaled Brooks was Clete Boyer. Clete doesn't get a lot of recognition, but teammate Mantle said noone was better at fielding the position.

But, of course, I'd go with Robinson.

Comment

Bid...mcphee!!!

Comment

The best defensive player my eyes ever witnessed was Ozzie Smith.

I really do not have the data to make such predictions based on stats.
              unofficial Cardinals
              Playing HardballUpdated 12-06-07

Congratulations Cardinals in 2006 World Series
              Winners in 1926, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1982, & 2006

Comment

Originally posted by tydie12
                1B. Palmero
                Well, he did, uh, win a Gold Glove
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                  Oh, well, ok then I guess. But longevity doesn't really make a person better.
                  Hmm, you voted for Musial over DiMaggio
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                    Hmm, you voted for Musial over DiMaggio
                    But I did make a point to say that DiMaggio was easily the better player, even though I was voting for Musial.
                    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                      But I did make a point to say that DiMaggio was easily the better player, even though I was voting for Musial.
                      As long as you can convince yourself

Comment

I can't believe Keith Hernandez hasn't been mentioned yet!!
                        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                          I can't believe Keith Hernandez hasn't been mentioned yet!!
                          Posts 11, 18, 45 ...

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            Posts 11, 18, 45 ...

Good call. I guess I was too lazy to read EVERY post!
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Top 5 by position, just my opinion....

Catcher

1. Bench
                              2. Rodriguez
                              3. Hegan
                              4. Campanella
                              5. Sundberg

First Base

1. Hernandez
                              2. Power
                              3. Chase
                              4. Gallaraga
                              5. Hodges

Second Base

1. Mazeroski
                              2. Gehringer
                              3. Gordon
                              3. Fox
                              4. White
                              5. Boone

Third Base

1. Robinson
                              2. Caminiti
                              3. Rolen
                              4. Aurelio Rodriguez
                              5. Nettles

Shortstop

1. Belanger
                              2. Ozzie
                              3. Ripken
                              4. Boudreau
                              5. Marion

Left Field

1. Yaz
                              2. Bonds
                              3. Rudi
                              4. Bob Johnson
                              5. Minoso

Center Field

1. Speaker
                              2. Flood
                              3. Mays
                              4. D.DiMaggio
                              5. Griffey

Right Field

1. Clemente
                              2. Kaline
                              3. Ichiro
                              4. Dw. Evans
                              5. Furillo

Pitcher

1. Kaat or Maddux
                              2. Shantz
                              3. Walters
                              4. Lemon
                              5. Langston

A few of these fellas I have seen play in my lifetime. Caminiti (Juice or not was the BEST third baseman I ever saw Brooks retired when I was a little fella). I followed this guys career from day one with the Astros and this man had a first step to his left or right like I have never seen and a GUN for an arm. I was very impressed with Caminiti defensively. The only other guy I ever saw with an arm like his at 3b was Aurelio Rodriguez and maybe Scott Rolen.

Flame away at the rest of the selections.

Comment

Originally posted by santotohof
                                Paul Blair and Devon White were both cream of the crop
                                man, both of those guys used to really go get 'em, santo. paul ld blair was incredible.

but as the plaque that adorns the say hey kid's statue in willie mays plaza reads:

"the only player who could have caught that ball hit it."
                                "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X