Joe DiMaggio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 538280
    I agree with others. I don't understand how Russell could have actually helped his team by allowing Wilt to score 50 points. Why does Wilt even have to incorporate his teammates if he can just score by himself every posession?

Also, from all I have read about Wilt, he was anything but a selfish egomaniac.
    50 points was hyberbolic. It wasn't meant to be taken literallly. Russell was concerned with winning first and wasn't very concerned about his own stats, much like Dennis Johnson on the 80's Celtics teams. Johnson would score 8 points and would frequently be named the game's most valuable player. Why? Because he played his heart out and did all of the little things to win games.

How much have you actually read about Wilt? Start with the words straight from his own mouth- read "A View From Above"
    Loads of self-aggrandizement about the number of women he slept with, and his statistical domination.

If bragging to the world that you slept with 10,000 women isn't egomaniacal, what is?
    Last edited by csh19792001; 11-14-2005, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001
      If bragging to the world that you slept with 10,000 women isn't egomaniacal, what is?
      Let's be factual, csh. Wilt claimed to have slept with 20,000 women.
      It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Originally posted by 64Cards
        Someone actually crunched the math on that, and in order to have slept with 20,000 women by the time he made that claim... now, the math's a little fuzzy here, so it might be wrong, but I think it was that he would have had to have sex with 1.3 women per day, beginning at his 13th birthday.
        "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

Originally posted by iPod
          Someone actually crunched the math on that, and in order to have slept with 20,000 women by the time he made that claim... now, the math's a little fuzzy here, so it might be wrong, but I think it was that he would have had to have sex with 1.3 women per day, beginning at his 13th birthday.
          And that's out of the realm of possibility?
          Johnson and now Goligoski gone.
          I hope that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by iPod
            I guess we've diverted off the topic, but hell, Joe D. was married to the el supremo trophy wife, America's greatest sex goddess.

So back to the 20K women. When it came out, me & a bud did some number crunching. Wilt was 55 at the time, so we gave him credit for 40 years of sexual prowess, 350 gals a year. Even though, given the morals of 1950's America, it seems unlikely he was bagging that many as a schoolboy in Philly, although I'm sure he had his moments. We gave him credit for the time at KU, although I doubt if there were 350 black women in Lawrence at the time and although I realize Wilt's appeal went across all racial divides, I still can't imagine much of that happening in Lawrence in 1956. Anyway, 40 years, 350 gals a year [figuring occasionally he's not feeling well, especially after beating the boards against Russell or Willis Reed] comes to 14K...Wilt, you're still 6K short!

But then, nobody can average 50 points a game. Or hit in 56 consecutive games, to return to the subject.
            It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Folks, I know that is what wilt said in his book. But later, after being ridiculed, Wilt claimed he used that figure because had no idea how many women he had had, but it was alot.

In any event, he later said that he did not sleep with that many women, obviously, but simply wanted to imply that it was a great deal.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Comment

joe d is overatted

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgerfan66
                  joe d is overatted
                  You have GOT to be kidding me. Drag up a year old thread for THAT?
                  "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgerfan66
                    sandy koufax is overatted
                    yep :atthepc

Comment

I have Joe Dimaggio at #24 all time. #18 among position players.
                      My dream ballpark dimensions
                      LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
                      RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
                      Location....San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by sschirmer
                        Joe had to do something right, he bagged Marylin, if only for a week.

Who didn't?

Comment

Some cool videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYfony71EC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lheyMX3P4Yg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6smc83z7xE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gDL2eb1n3A

The last one is an actual news reel.
                          "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001
                            Few get shortchanged more by the current player value metrics du jour than Joe Dimaggio.

At Yankee Stadium over his career, Dimaggio hit .315 at home and a home run once every 22.7 at bats. On the road he hit .333/.421/.606, and hit one home run every 16.2 at bats.

He missed three full PRIME seasons due to WWII, and he also hit 213 of his 361 career homeruns on the road. Put him in in a reasonable park, he'd have easily hit over 400 homeruns. Give him back his three war seasons, and now we're talking about a guy who could have easily hit over 500 homeruns in 16 seasons.

Dimaggio's strikeout total is truly incredible- he's BY FAR the greatest slugger in history in terms of sheer power combined with incredible bat control. 361 homeruns coupled with ONLY 369 career strikeouts is one of the greatest achievements in baseball history.

Dimag was hitting over .400 in September of 1939, but began to suffer terrible pain over his right eye- he went to Joe McCarthy and asked to be sat out, but McCarthy insisted he stay in the lineup. Dimaggio dropped off precipitously and finished at .381.

Debilitating (and continuous) foot injuries (which included lots of small breaks that never healed) helped conspire to end his career, but in terms of sheer quality, Dimag was one of the best to ever play. He ranks 12th alltime in Win Shares per season, and as stated before, I seriously doubt Win Shares or any other standardized metric properly reconciles the fact that he played in such an atrocious park for right handed power hitters.

Dimaggio was also one of the greatest all around players who ever lived.
                            Not to mention all the two years before/after he left...I'm pretty sure that'll mess with a guy. I take greats at their word...and when Ted Williams said that Joe D was the best all-around player that he's ever seen I'll take him at his word.
                            "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

I have no idea what the number actually was or or what number would even be close to. But lets use some common sense here, neither does Wilt, who the heck could keep track or count that high.

Comment

Originally posted by blslivewire
                                Who didn't?
                                That would be a shorter list. DiMaggio though tried to turn the -- into a housewife.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X