No announcement yet.

Baseball's Mount Rushmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a baseball Mt. Rushmore should have 2 pitchers and 2 position players,

Great Bambino, Say Hey Kid, Big Train, Maddux (he needs a nickname!)
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

To really make a Baseball Mt. Rushmore is much more than favorite players. It's who has to be there, and why. For the Real Mt. Rushmore the presidents picked were and why:

1. George Washington: Led the early colonists in the American Revolutionary War to win independence from Great Britain. He was the father of the new country and laid the foundation of American democracy.

2. Thomas Jeffeson: He was the author of the Declaration of Independence, a document which inspires democracies around the world. He also purchased the Louisiana Territory from France in 1803 which doubled the size of our country, adding all or part of fifteen present-day states.

3. Theodore Roosvelt: Provided leadership when America experienced rapid economic growth as it entered the 20th Century. He was instrumental in negotiating the construction of the Panama Canal, linking the east and the west. He was known as the "trust buster" for his work to end large corporate monopolies and ensure the rights of the common working man.

4. Abraham Lincoln: Held the nation together during its greatest trial, the Civil War. Lincoln believed his most sacred duty was the preservation of the union. It was his firm conviction that slavery must be abolished.

So, to put it in MLB perspective:

1. Founding father? That seems like first at something. How about first "superstar". We can have Cap Anson in this one, but since he played in a time when baseball wasn't what it was. Let's get the Real first superstar, and the class of the first HOF: Ty Cobb.

2. An inspiring figure you say? Who doubled the nation's size? Who doubled baseball's popularity, and is an inspiring figure like forever? Yep, Babe Ruth.

3. Leadership in difficult times? And how about fighting for the rights of the minorities? I think there's only one player that fits the bill: Jackie Robinson.

4. Held the sport together during its greatest trial...umm. Baseball's greatest trial is at hand. And nobody has been holding it together. And you know what, I think that he will soon pop up. It may be a player that has been clean in our times. Someone who can save the sport, played in the difficult times, but still was clean. For the time being, I only see one player who could be it. The only player that without a doubt didn't use steroids in the eyes of everyone: Greg Maddux.

Hey, HWR I'm with you with The Proffesor. Still, to be in this position he was to make some noise in this controversy that the PED scandal is. Stay tuned.
      "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
      George Brett

Comment

Washington: Harry Wright
        Jefferson: John Montgomery Ward
        Lincoln: Ford Frick
        Roosevelt: Rickey Henderson

Washington and Wright did a little of everything. Ward was extremely intelligent and a man of the people [players]. He was instrumental in founding the Players League. Frick, like Lincoln was flawed in many ways but paved the way for equality. Frick threatened to suspend players who refused to play against Jackie Robinson. Roosevelt became president at the dawn of the dosility and greed of a burgeoning modern America and fought it as best he could. He was also a blowhard. Rickey was becoming the greatest base stealer ever just as baseball entered the steroid era and kept running as best he could. He was also a blowhard.

Mount Rushmore celebrates America from it's beginning in 1776 whereas baseball is generally celebrated from an arbitrary year [1901].
        Last edited by bluesky5; 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM.
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          I think a baseball Mt. Rushmore should have 2 pitchers and 2 position players,

Great Bambino, Say Hey Kid, Big Train, Maddux (he needs a nickname!)
          Maddux did have a nickname: Mad Dog. He was also called The Professor, but Mad Dog was more popular.

Anyway, here's my Mt Rushmore...

Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Ted Williams and Ty Cobb
          Last edited by GiambiJuice; 07-11-2014, 08:37 AM.
          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
          2. Barry Bonds
          3. Ty Cobb
          4. Ted Williams
          5. Willie Mays
          6. Alex Rodriguez
          7. Hank Aaron
          8. Honus Wagner
          9. Lou Gehrig
          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment