X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    I think a baseball Mt. Rushmore should have 2 pitchers and 2 position players,

Great Bambino, Say Hey Kid, Big Train, Maddux (he needs a nickname!)
    Maddux did have a nickname: Mad Dog. He was also called The Professor, but Mad Dog was more popular.

Anyway, here's my Mt Rushmore...

Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Ted Williams and Ty Cobb
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 07-11-2014, 08:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Washington: Harry Wright
    Jefferson: John Montgomery Ward
    Lincoln: Ford Frick
    Roosevelt: Rickey Henderson

Washington and Wright did a little of everything. Ward was extremely intelligent and a man of the people [players]. He was instrumental in founding the Players League. Frick, like Lincoln was flawed in many ways but paved the way for equality. Frick threatened to suspend players who refused to play against Jackie Robinson. Roosevelt became president at the dawn of the dosility and greed of a burgeoning modern America and fought it as best he could. He was also a blowhard. Rickey was becoming the greatest base stealer ever just as baseball entered the steroid era and kept running as best he could. He was also a blowhard.

Mount Rushmore celebrates America from it's beginning in 1776 whereas baseball is generally celebrated from an arbitrary year [1901].
    Last edited by bluesky5; 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Yankillaz
    replied
    To really make a Baseball Mt. Rushmore is much more than favorite players. It's who has to be there, and why. For the Real Mt. Rushmore the presidents picked were and why:

1. George Washington: Led the early colonists in the American Revolutionary War to win independence from Great Britain. He was the father of the new country and laid the foundation of American democracy.

2. Thomas Jeffeson: He was the author of the Declaration of Independence, a document which inspires democracies around the world. He also purchased the Louisiana Territory from France in 1803 which doubled the size of our country, adding all or part of fifteen present-day states.

3. Theodore Roosvelt: Provided leadership when America experienced rapid economic growth as it entered the 20th Century. He was instrumental in negotiating the construction of the Panama Canal, linking the east and the west. He was known as the "trust buster" for his work to end large corporate monopolies and ensure the rights of the common working man.

4. Abraham Lincoln: Held the nation together during its greatest trial, the Civil War. Lincoln believed his most sacred duty was the preservation of the union. It was his firm conviction that slavery must be abolished.

So, to put it in MLB perspective:

1. Founding father? That seems like first at something. How about first "superstar". We can have Cap Anson in this one, but since he played in a time when baseball wasn't what it was. Let's get the Real first superstar, and the class of the first HOF: Ty Cobb.

2. An inspiring figure you say? Who doubled the nation's size? Who doubled baseball's popularity, and is an inspiring figure like forever? Yep, Babe Ruth.

3. Leadership in difficult times? And how about fighting for the rights of the minorities? I think there's only one player that fits the bill: Jackie Robinson.

4. Held the sport together during its greatest trial...umm. Baseball's greatest trial is at hand. And nobody has been holding it together. And you know what, I think that he will soon pop up. It may be a player that has been clean in our times. Someone who can save the sport, played in the difficult times, but still was clean. For the time being, I only see one player who could be it. The only player that without a doubt didn't use steroids in the eyes of everyone: Greg Maddux.

Hey, HWR I'm with you with The Proffesor. Still, to be in this position he was to make some noise in this controversy that the PED scandal is. Stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    I think a baseball Mt. Rushmore should have 2 pitchers and 2 position players,

Great Bambino, Say Hey Kid, Big Train, Maddux (he needs a nickname!)

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    Right on...home of the town of DeadWood, made famous by the incredible HBO show too I believe.

I get the other picks, but not the Mays one. He was a great all around player but there's no historical significance tied to him or his career. He was entertaining and flashy...slowing down and diving for balls he could have made shoe-string catches on and wearing the wrong sized lid so it would fall off easily while running. To each their own, no opinion is "wrong" because it's exactly that...but I'm curious why Mays?
    I would rate Mays and Dimaggio as the 2 best all around players ever. Mays has the longer career. So, why not put the best all-arouind player ever, on the mountain?

Plus, I have to put a Giant on and I thought that Bonds might not be a popular choice (just kidding).

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Right on...home of the town of DeadWood, made famous by the incredible HBO show too I believe.

I get the other picks, but not the Mays one. He was a great all around player but there's no historical significance tied to him or his career. He was entertaining and flashy...slowing down and diving for balls he could have made shoe-string catches on and wearing the wrong sized lid so it would fall off easily while running. To each their own, no opinion is "wrong" because it's exactly that...but I'm curious why Mays?

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Well, I live in South Dakota, "The Mount Rushmore State."

the baseball Mt Rushmore is......drum roll......

..... Cobb, Ruth, Mays, Aaron

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Any new candidates?

BTW: I nominate my post #72 for a Nobel Prize, or Pulitzer, or whatever. It's sooo deep and thought inspiring. :innocent:

Leave a comment:

• Outta Here
    replied
    Originally posted by soberdennis
    I would put Ruth, Cobb, Robinson, and Cy Young.
    Damn, u stole my 4
    Best hitter/Best Power hitter/Trailblazer/Winningest Pitcher & has unbeatable records still

Leave a comment:

• Yankillaz
    replied
    Ummm. Nice question. Let's see what does Mt. Rushmore stands for?

George Washington-FIRST PRESIDENT
    Thomas Jefferson-LEGISLATOR (THIRD PRESIDENT)
    Abraham Lincoln-FREEDOM (CIVIL RIGHTS)
    Theodore Roosvelt-POPULAR PRESIDENT (MOST KNOWN AT THE TIME)

In the history of baseball who can it be???

FIRST STAR: TY COBB (Although the nod has to go to Anson, i pick Cobb for Washington's face)

LEGISLATOR (Game Changing personality): BABE RUTH

FREEDOM: JACKIE ROBINSON (I would rather Aaron or Mays, but what the heck)

POPULARITY AT THE TIME: CAL RIPKEN JR. (Hate to admit this one, but as Teddy's face on Rushmore is not deserving, neither is this one).

Leave a comment:

• Eastvanmungo
    replied
    Alexander Cartwright
    Babe Ruth
    Cy Young
    Jackie Robinson

Period.

Leave a comment:

• soberdennis
    replied
    I would put Ruth, Cobb, Robinson, and Cy Young.
    We need a pitcher up there. Why not the winningest.
    Did someone forget that pitching is 70% of the game.

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Mt. ShameMore
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chisox
    replied
    Originally posted by Wee Willie
    I don't think anyone's actually dismissing the event, though. My point was that "the event" has more to do with Jackie's having "the guts not to fight back" in an environment of extreme hatred than just him becoming "the first black". That's why he, the man, should be celebrated as an icon.

Sure, there would have been someone else. But who/when/where we can only speculate. If that someone else had to endure what Jackie did with the same grace/dignity, then he would certainly merit a spot on the mountain.
    We've finally come to an agreement.

Leave a comment:

• Wee Willie
    replied
    Originally posted by Chisox
    When you dismiss the event, the man means nothing. I am not in any way shape or form dismissing the man, I am exaulting him because of the reasons you just mentioned. However, in order to do this, the event must be the focus. Only when you realize the importance of the event can you realize the importance of the man. Again, you are highliting the events surrounding the man, therefore putting the man in proper perspective, all without knowing it.

And yes, if it had not been Jackie, it would have been someone else; there always is. To say otherwise is to say that no-one else ever possesed what was necessary for such an event. Aaron, Robinson, Clemente were all capable in my mind. Bonds is a guy that I can imagine actually enjoying it. That in no-way shape or form diminishes Jackie. He is still the one who did it.
    I don't think anyone's actually dismissing the event, though. My point was that "the event" has more to do with Jackie's having "the guts not to fight back" in an environment of extreme hatred than just him becoming "the first black". That's why he, the man, should be celebrated as an icon.

Sure, there would have been someone else. But who/when/where we can only speculate. If that someone else had to endure what Jackie did with the same grace/dignity, then he would certainly merit a spot on the mountain.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X