Tainted World Series Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tainted World Series Games

there were a lot of rumors during the early days of the world series about tainted games - of course 1919 - but carl mays as well - and there was always a chance of scandal when mcgraw's boys were around

i just started reading tris speaker by timothy gay and he suggests:

1) cy young and the red sox threw game 1, 1903 - gave 4 runs up in first inning, several questionable errors by team and allowed pirates two double steals
    2) red sox club president jimmy mcaleer forced mgr stahl to pitch buck o'brien instead of joe wood in game 6, 1912 and mcaleer bet heavily against the sox, o'brien gave up 5 runs in first
    3) the sox were pissed about executive ruling that refused to pay them for tie in game 2, so wood, among others, tanked game 7, 1912 - giving up 6 runs in first inning - so they could expand paydays through a game 8

that's a lot of rumors - what do you think? any other rumors?

Speaker himself is thought to have helped throw games during his career.

Comment

what a dirty history those evil Red Sox have

Comment

The World Series' shares were changed because of the "rumors" that the players threw some games so they could earn more money by playing more games. Only the first four games were counted in splitting the money.

Bob

Comment

I have read accounts that the 1914 and 1918 Wold Series might not have been on the level. I have no opinion about 1914, but I think the circumstances may have been right for a Series fix in 1918.

Comment

Rumors swirled around a lot back then, but so far nothing really solid has come out. Doesn't mean it didn't happen but as time goes back it grows even less likely that we will ever know the full truth.

I have heard bits and pieces that the 1918 was fixed, 1917, that the 1914 miracle Braves were not so miraculous, the 1912, and the 1903. I believe in the Rothstein book there is a passage in which I believe Maharg brags that they had done it before, and then goes on and lists some of the world series that it happened in.

Comment

I think this world series and postseason were tainted. All the bad calls just makes you wonder
              Born True Blue

Comment

I am sure that Giant fans think that game 6 of 2002 may be tainted.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bluesteve32; 12-07-2005, 12:44 AM.
                http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

The integrity of Game One of the 1907 World Series between the Detroit Tigers and the Chicago Cubs has been questioned.

Prior to that game, Tiger 2nd baseman Herman "Germany" Schaefer asked the National Commission whether a tie game constituted a legal game, as far as dividing up the gate receipts was concerned. He was told it did.

Then, in the 9th inning, Tiger catcher Charlie "Boss" Schmidt dropped a third strike, allowing the tying run to score. The game was called because of darkness in the 12th inning, declared a 3-3 tie -- and the players got to split the proceeds of that game.

Ever since then, some folks have wondered whether that game was on the up-and-up.
                  "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

Originally posted by ElCaminoSS
                    I think this world series and postseason were tainted. All the bad calls just makes you wonder
                    I doubt that, too many umps involved in those calls. How many umps would you have to pay off,..... very risky.

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
                      i just started reading tris speaker by timothy gay and he suggests:
                      I hadn't heard of this book, "Tris Speaker". Is it a good one? Does it give dates of birth for his family? Could you post that info here, if you would? I collect that stuff. Thanks.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                        I hadn't heard of this book, "Tris Speaker". Is it a good one? Does it give dates of birth for his family? Could you post that info here, if you would? I collect that stuff. Thanks.

Bill
                        just came out - i preordered and it came this week - i'll look for the info and post if it's there

Comment

Here Bill - this is the Speaker Family info as presented in chapter two

Paternal Grandfather - Henry - born in MD in 1809 or 1810
                          Paternal Grandmother - Eliza - 3 years younger than Henry

Had sons born in Ohio
                          Byron
                          James
                          Melville
                          Calvin

Moved to Illinois and had son - Archery Oscar (A.O.) in 1852

Family settled in Texas in late-1850s

In 1861 Byron (age 23) and James (age 19) joined the Confederacy

A.O. married transplanted Georgian - Nancy Jane (Jenny) Poer sometime after the war - by then living in Hubbard City

Jenny’s mother - Mary - widow at this point - she lived next door

Jenny had an older brother named Robert who also served in the Confederacy

A.O. and Jenny had seven kids - six survived infancy
                          First - Elsie - born in 1879
                          Last - Tristan - born nine years later
                          In between - daughters - Maude - Pearl - Gypsie and son - Loyd (correct spelling)

A.O.’s brothers Calvin and James also lived in Hubbard with large families - a bunch of Poers also lived in Hubbard including Robert

A.O. - carpenter - family appeared to be well off
                          All were farmers as well
                          A.O. died in 1898

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]

Bill
                            it seems to be a good bio - lots of historical info and little of the game by game blows that bore me - seems well researched and and he doesn't shy from a topic - in fact, i think he prefers to discuss the seediness of the era

Comment

Susan Dellinger's book about Edd Roush contains a cryptic reference that Arnold Rothstein knew that attempts had been made to fix the World Series. She speciffically mentions 1914 and 1918, but makes no mention whether the fix attepts came off. This reference is not footnoted and it's not clear whether she is saying they were fixed or they weren't fixed.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X