No announcement yet.

John Olerud or Mark Grace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Olerud, but it is really pretty close. Olerud was a nice player, but I do have to regard him as something of a disappointment. When he exploded young I expected him to be a truly great hitter. He had a great looking swing, plate discipline, he really looked the part of a truly great hitter. He had two hall of fame seasons, and a bunch of good ones. I thought 20-25 Hr with lots of doubles and .320 would be normal for him. Kind of a modern George Brett type. He certainly had a nice career though.

Comment

Since 1941 Olerud is only one of two players to be over .400 in August (8/2/93).
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by The Big C
        That's a tough call, but from me, Grace gets the Cubbie nod.
        Two very similar players, but i pick Grace. And is tough, since i'm a proud B'Jay fan. But i always saw Mark Grace as an underrated player. For instance, in 1988 he got little consideration from voters for the Rookie of the Year. They picked Chris Sabo ahead of him.

Know, for stats, lets see:

1. True, Olerud has an edge in the +OPS, by a 10 point margin. But Grace, though had less pop that Olerud, could get in base as often as Olerud, and had a better bat.

2. Fielding. They both were the best at their positions at certain time (along with JT Snow, they suceeded Mattinlgy). But Grace had an .003 plus differential to the league, whereas Olerud had an .002.

Just to mention two. I rather Grace because the only thing Olerud topped him in was in power. Grace had a more consistent career, while Olerud had ups and downs. A stellar season ('93) and several other good ones ('98-01).
        "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
        George Brett

Comment

Chris Sabo beat out Mark Grace by 18 votes in 1988. Sabo pretty much got it because of his excellent first half. The voters pretty much made up their mind by then that he was going to get it. Whereas Grace was much more consistent in his hitting and never fell off a cliff like Sabo but neither did he get the press like Sabo did in the first half. Thus causing people to forget him when voting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
            Chris Sabo beat out Mark Grace by 18 votes in 1988. Sabo pretty much got it because of his excellent first half. The voters pretty much made up their mind by then that he was going to get it. Whereas Grace was much more consistent in his hitting and never fell off a cliff like Sabo but neither did he get the press like Sabo did in the first half. Thus causing people to forget him when voting.
            Reds fans were notorious for stuffing ballot boxes too.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankwood
              Reds fans were notorious for stuffing ballot boxes too.
              Fans do not vote for Rookie of the Year.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Olerud or Grace

I vote Olerud slightly better.They both had great careers. Olerud's edge in Power does it for me. They were pretty even in most other departments. Very Solid line drive hitters with gap power and very,very good defensive firstbasemen. Sorry to see both out of the game.

Comment

I always thought Olerud had a weird career, at one point until near the end of his career he had 2 seasons of batting over .350 but no seasons between .300 and .350!!! Then he hits .302 and .300 with Seattle late in his career to ruin that freaky stat.

My vote goes to Grace though, I think he was just more consistent where Olerud had the better peak seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
                    I vote Olerud slightly better.They both had great careers. Olerud's edge in Power does it for me. They were pretty even in most other departments. Very Solid line drive hitters with gap power and very,very good defensive firstbasemen. Sorry to see both out of the game.
                    Two good guys, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
                      Fans do not vote for Rookie of the Year.
                      My mistake. I thought the reference was to the All Star game.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankwood
                        My mistake. I thought the reference was to the All Star game.
                        That makes sense. Cincinatti may indeed be the smallest city in the Majors, but they'll never live down 1957.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Olerud

Right corner infielders are a dime a dozen. I'd have selected Olerud and developed him as a pitcher. He could have been like Mike Hampton, but good.
                          “I see great things in baseball.”
                          Walt Whitman

Comment

Tough call, but I think Olerud's defense edges out Mark Grace. Both were better than Garvey, though.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X