Babe Ruth Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babe Ruth Discussion Thread

I'd like to create this companion thread to our amazing Babe Ruth Thread. To let us all expand to our hearts content all of our Babe chat. The best of this will be eventually transferred to the other Thread, so the chit chat doesn't sink it.

Any good Babe stuff guys. Randy, Joe, Chris, this is for us to chew the fat and shoot the Babe breezes. So we can give the other Babe thread a rest for a while.

Bill Burgess
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-18-2008, 01:38 PM.

Joe, have you seen the footage of him choking up a good 4 inches and slapping the ball to left? Perhaps the shift was on in that AB.

Interesting to note, that if you take away his 1356 extra base hits from his 8398 AB, it leaves him with 7042 AB. He had 1517 singles, so he'd be a career .215 hitter just going by singles. He definately took what was given to him, and had to learn to go the other way when it the opportunity presented itself.

In his first ever start against the Yanks, lefty Sherry Smith walked him the first four times he faced him, once intentionally which drew what he called "an awful howl from the stands." He went on to tell F.C. Lane, "Ruth's eye was so good, there was little alternative. If Babe got balls somewhere near where he liked to hit them, he would bat .450. He seldom gets a good ball. A pitcher is foolish to give him a good ball, especially with men on base."

Comment

Yahoo Group

Thought you might be interested in the Babe Ruth Yahoo Chat Group

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...guid=170844007

Comment

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/babyruth.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948

I don't know who the lawyers were that represented Curtiss but they had to be knot heads to make the claim they did in defense of Curtiss. For them to say that the Baby Ruth candy bar came out in 1921 before Babe Ruth became famous is a real laugher, who would ever consider that statement in coming to a conclusion in that matter.

Add to that, they made lots of dough on the Babe's name. Hundreds, thousands of Baby Ruth candy bar wrappers were sent to Ruth, asking him to autograph the wrappers and send them back.

I would have to check on this but as usual the Babe had one strike left and came back. I am almost certain that today Nestles who bought rights to the Baby Ruth candy bar used the name and image of the Babe and pays royalties to his family.

Just made a quick check, Ruth's family does receive royalties from Nestles.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
            I also saw it. Loved it. Filmed in 1941, making Babe 46. Babe's voice was higher than I expected. I had always heard that his voice was "gravely".

Love the girl who played Eleanor Gehrig, Teresa Wright. Also had Marty Keonig, Bill Dickey. Had Walter Brennan (Real McCoys), before he got fat.
            Gary Cooper was the perfect fit.
            I don't agree about Gary Cooper. He seems too rural-ish to portray a guy who was New York City born and bred.

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
              i thought baby ruth came out in 1917 following the back to back world championships
              Curtiss did have a candy bar named Kandy Kake some years before. They then reshaped the bar, replaced it's pastry center with caramel made a couple of other content changes and then renamed it Baby Ruth in 1921.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                Joe, have you seen the footage of him choking up a good 4 inches and slapping the ball to left? Perhaps the shift was on in that AB.
                Never saw him "shorten" up on the bat, he might have but it was always pointed out that in his time most hitters would shorten up but they say Ruth never did.

I took a good look at a number of his at bats the other night and noticed something very unusual, especially coming from a slugger. In the box his front foot, right foot was some inches in front of his rear left foot. Kind of like we did as kids when we were trying to hit to the opposite field.

More unusual, I don't recall any of the big boys actually having their back slightly to the pitcher. The back of his front shoulder is certainly facing the pitcher. His stride very long, starts with feet close together and then gets some real extention.

His feet close together, front foot positioned as though to go the other way, back to the pitcher. This does not appear to be anything a hitter would do if going for the long ball.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
                  I don't know who the lawyers were that represented Curtiss but they had to be knot heads to make the claim they did in defense of Curtiss. For them to say that the Baby Ruth candy bar came out in 1921 before Babe Ruth became famous is a real laugher, who would ever consider that statement in coming to a conclusion in that matter.
                  Yeah, they were boneheads alright. Didn't think things through too well, lol.

There's a nice little story when Babe was golfing one time. A little girl walked up to him and asked him where all his candy bars were, cause that's all she really knew, was "Baby Ruth Candy." Babe kind of chuckled and others in his group laughed. The girl felt embarassed. Babe told the girl to make sure she came back then next day. She came, and Babe had gotten her two big boxes full of Baby Ruth Candy. He told her no problem, and to just remember who he was.

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
                    I don't agree about Gary Cooper. He seems too rural-ish to portray a guy who was New York City born and bred.
                    Lou Gehrig doesn't feel urban to me. He seems to represent old world values. Mama's boy. Quiet, unassuming, introverted, shy, hard-working.

He seems more Midwest to me. Wisconsin farm boy, Minnesota small town guy. Like Walter Johnson. And that's NOT a knock, but a plug.

Bill
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-14-2006, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                      Lou Gehrig doesn't feel urban to me. He seems to represent old world values. Mama's boy. Quiet, unassuming, introverted, shy, hard-working.

He seems more Midwest to me. Wisconsin farm boy, Minnesota small town guy. Like Walter Johnson. And that's NOT a knock, but a plug.

Bill
                      I think Hollywood and most of the viewing public have come to except Gary Cooper as the hero type guy, the guy you admire, pull for. Playing such rolls as Lou Gehrig, Sgt. Alvin York, Meet John Doe and the sheriff in High Noon.
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-14-2006, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I think Hollywood and most of the viewing public have come to except Gary Cooper as the hero type guy, the guy you admire, pull for. Playing such rolls as Lou Gehrig, Sgt. Alvin York, Meet John Doe and the sheriff in High Noon.
                        Take a look at all those characters. They were all pretty much the same persona. Quiet, down to earth, heroic, selfless, lack of ego, unassuming, and the guy next door type. Add in another name...Gary Cooper himself.

In almost all of his movies he pretty much played himself. Name a Cooper movie that broke the mold. He was typecast in Hollywood...to play himself.

Like his movies but great actor, uh-uh.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Comment

Never saw him "shorten" up on the bat, he might have but it was always pointed out that in his time most hitters would shorten up but they say Ruth never did.
                          There's video of it on this DVD.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A few pics from '27.

Combs, Ruth, Meusel

Before game 1 of the '27 Series, Babe and Lou meet the brothers Waner
                            Attached Files

Comment

Shot of Sisler, Babe, Cobb, at either 1924 or 1925 World Series.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-03-2006, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X