Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    1. the slowness of gehrig's death.
    2. the suddeness of clemente's.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Clemente is an excellent one that I wouldn't have remembered without prodding. The fact that he was doing something to help people in serious need makes this #1 for me.
    I would also argue that Gehrig and Ruth's farewells at Yankee Stadium were both very poignant. Even though Ruth looked very old at his, he wasn't that old, and I think that both players and fans were shocked and saddened by his appearance.
    I'm thinking of Ruth's last appearance in uniform, memory is now reminding me that may not have been his last appearance in the park.
    "Ruth stepped into that cauldron of sound that he knew better than any other man..." (paraphrase)

Leave a comment:

• bluejaysfan
    replied
    What about Roberto Clemente's tragic death in a plane crash while delivering relief supplies to earthquake victims.

Leave a comment:

• Bluesteve32
    replied
    Ray Chapman's death and the tragedy that followed his familiy afterward.

The Negro League players never got to play MLB is sad, but they did have a stage to display their wares, albeit not agonst the major leaguer, but would barnstorm against them at times.

Lou Gerhig's situation was very sad and has been immortalized by the movie, and was a personal tragedy.

All strikes are bad, but the one in 1994 almost ruined baseball and was a big part of the demise of the Expos.

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Other than August 16, 1948... I gotta go with this gent:

"So I close in saying that I may have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to live for."
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SABR Matt
    replied
    I might be a little biased...but

"The Seattle Mariners still haven't even GONE to the world series" LOL

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    I gotta cheat and combine a few sad things.

1. That Cobb/Ruth were denied the chance to stay in BB managing until they got too old.

2. The Historical Color Ban - which denied such greats as Paige, Gibson, Mackey, Lloyd, Santop, Smokey Joe Williams, Joe Rogan, etc. from showcasing their skills at the ML level.

Honorable Mentions:
    The various problems which deprived the following from fulfilling their careers:
    Joe Jackson, Sisler, Wood, Score, Koufax, Dean, Delahanty, Cochrane, Marty Bergen, Campanella, Sam McDowell, JR Richards, Charlie Bennett, Thurman Munson, Gehrig, Josh Gibson.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-21-2005, 11:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Swiss
    replied
    Originally posted by uthminsta
    I'm surprised no Brooklyn Dodger fan has said that California Baseball was the saddest moment.
    Mmmhhh... sure that was the saddest day for a Brooklyn fan but not the saddest day in baseball.

Leave a comment:

• charlesTG126
    replied
    If that was a wild pitch, call me the Easter Bunny and tell me I've never procrastinated in my life.

Oh and, I forgot to choose 'other'... Since I didn't experience any other the other events, I would probably pick the Mike Darr incident.
    Last edited by charlesTG126; 12-21-2005, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Myankee4life
    replied
    Lou Gehrig for me was by far the saddest moment

A man struck down in his prime and he faced it with courage that signified him not only as a baseball player but as a man.

Second Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth gave so much too the game. He got taken advantage by everyone. He always had that hope but never came to be.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by uthminsta
    I'm surprised no Brooklyn Dodger fan has said that California Baseball was the saddest moment.
    I'd think they'd rate the losing of the team as greater than what became of it.

Leave a comment:

• uthminsta
    replied

Leave a comment:

• uthminsta
    replied
    Originally posted by bkmckenna
    a man's death counts less than a work stoppage??
    I know this wasn't exactly aimed at me, but I did introduce the idea of the strike as an option here. So I feel maybe I should make myself clear.

It is sad that millions of fans the world over lost their chance to see the 1994 season (for example) to its proper end. It is sadder still that money meant more to some people than the national pastime itself. I don't claim to fully understand the circumstances surrounding the strikes; in fact I have begun a thread, specifically so I may better understand historical strikes.

But a Major League Baseball strike IS one of the saddest moments in baseball, and that's what the question asked.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    For baseball fans in general, and Brooklyn fans in particular, few events have been as achingly sad as the tragic accident that ended Roy Campanella's wonderful career and put the always-smiling, seemingly indestructible catcher in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

The only comparable event would be the sight of an aging, ill and half-blind Jackie Robinson being led onto the field at the 1972 All-Star game.

Three months later, this unconquerable spirit and incomparable athlete would be gone.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X