Ed Delahanty's death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeverJustAGame
    Mike Sowell is the author of a great book entitled July 2, 1903.The book gives great insight into the life and death of Hall of Fame great Ed Delahanty.

Many believe he was robbed because he was known to keep alot of cash on his person and also while on his last trip was carrying jewelry belonging to his wife.

Some say he might have been killed by the powers that be for he was the bright star that was known to jump teams at the drop of a hat.

Also death from gamblers he might have owed.Not baseball gamblers but horse and dog racing gamblers.
    You're perpetuating wild speculation with things like this. Any writer is going rely on these kinds of things to sell a book. Does that make it a great book?
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I have read this book and it is well writen and interesting take on Big Ed.Mike Sowell is a respect baseball historian and life long member of SABR so his word must be worth more than people making comments on this post.

Comment

Originally posted by julusnc
        I have read this book and it is well writen and interesting take on Big Ed.Mike Sowell is a respect baseball historian and life long member of SABR so his word must be worth more than people making comments on this post.
        Doesn't matter what he says or what his reputation is, he's perpetuating speculation of an event that no one, including himself, really knows anything about. This Is fine if he's a doing a study of myths in baseball or how things get blown way out of proportion; he can knock himself out doing it. If he's presenting it as fact or something to be strongly considered, that's another story.
        Last edited by runningshoes; 01-23-2006, 09:24 PM.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

i agree with runningshoes 100%

sowell's book does make for good reading and it does pertetuate the delahanty discussion/story but let's take it for what it is - speculation in many areas

i'm not trashing sowell - he had an agenda with the book and it worked - was it to present 100% truth? i don't think so - the story is much more entertaining by taking dramatic license and by placing emphasis perhaps where it doesn't belong

it is up to the reader to figure things out - unfortunately most readers don't have the background to know the difference nor do they have the skill to question and analyze all the data - the more information provided the murkier the story becomes

the quickest distance between two points is a straight line - start from there and only veer off that line for significant and irrefutable reasons - nearly all conspiracy theories are bunk and for the weak of mind - solid thinkers know what information to throw out and what to keep

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
            i agree with runningshoes 100%

the quickest distance between two points is a straight line - start from there and only veer off that line for significant and irrefutable reasons - nearly all conspiracy theories are bunk and for the weak of mind - solid thinkers know what information to throw out and what to keep
            What I was wondering, was the story that Ed took out that accident insurance policy shortly before he took that train trip. I would think of all that we have heard that would have been the easiest to find out, did it happen or did it not. Of course that would still not mean that he did take his own life, although most would make that connection. I checked a large volume of news archives even years after his death, never saw any comments one way or another on that accident policy.

I would think that the insurance company would fight tooth and nail to try to make the pont that it was not an accident but a suicide and that might get them off the hook, no pay out. Any info on that, anyone know if that accident policy was taken out by Ed shortly before his death.

Comment

i wondered about that policy and the letter myself:

From the news archives, Atlanta Constitution.

[The day he left Detroit he had taken out an accident policy made payable to his little daughter and he wrote a letter in which he expressed the hope that the train he was taking would run off the track or something would happen to him.]

kinda sounds like a crock

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
                i wondered about that policy and the letter myself:

From the news archives, Atlanta Constitution.

[The day he left Detroit he had taken out an accident policy made payable to his little daughter and he wrote a letter in which he expressed the hope that the train he was taking would run off the track or something would happen to him.]

kinda sounds like a crock
                When I did see that, I thought for sure that if I scanned some new archives it would have been mentioned in other newspapers, it would have been noted, I found nothing. I went 20 years past Ed's death, no mention of that. If I recall the Constitution gave no source. Until I can find anything concrete, something to make it credible I'll just dismiss it.

Comment

has there been any breaking news on Big Ed?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805 View Post
                    He's still dead. :noidea

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Comment

so there's no new forensic studies on his death?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805 View Post

Doubtful there will be anything added to what we already know. From where I lived the International Bridge is within eye site. I can actually walk across it. Well not anymore since 911, security between the border, USA and Canada has really gotten tight. Being a history fanatic of the game, I often go down to the American side and look. This is where it happened, still unsolved. What really happened to one of the real first superstars of the game.

Here are a couple of pictures of the International Bridge linking Buffalo NY and Fort Erie Canada where Ed Delahanty met his fate. I just jumped in my car and drove down to the bridge, only a few miles from where I live. It was getting dark so I just took a couple of quick shots from the side, looking from the Buffalo side towards Fort Erie. I plan on taking some better shots from the Buffalo and Fort Erie Canada side in the near future.

I would like to get right on the bridge, not sure if that can still be done. It is an international crossing and since 911 security is tighter. As I took these two pics I was approached by Border Patrol asking why the pics taken, no problem. As kids we used to walk half way across the bridge, look over at the water, fast moving. No way you can fall in there and not wind up going over Niagara Falls about 20 miles away.

I feel a real sense of history when near the bridge. Realizing that one of America's first superstars died here.
                        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 05-05-2008, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Here they are, International Bridge.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X