• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Here they are, International Bridge.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout805 View Post
    has there been any breaking news on Big Ed?

Doubtful there will be anything added to what we already know. From where I lived the International Bridge is within eye site. I can actually walk across it. Well not anymore since 911, security between the border, USA and Canada has really gotten tight. Being a history fanatic of the game, I often go down to the American side and look. This is where it happened, still unsolved. What really happened to one of the real first superstars of the game.

Here are a couple of pictures of the International Bridge linking Buffalo NY and Fort Erie Canada where Ed Delahanty met his fate. I just jumped in my car and drove down to the bridge, only a few miles from where I live. It was getting dark so I just took a couple of quick shots from the side, looking from the Buffalo side towards Fort Erie. I plan on taking some better shots from the Buffalo and Fort Erie Canada side in the near future.

I would like to get right on the bridge, not sure if that can still be done. It is an international crossing and since 911 security is tighter. As I took these two pics I was approached by Border Patrol asking why the pics taken, no problem. As kids we used to walk half way across the bridge, look over at the water, fast moving. No way you can fall in there and not wind up going over Niagara Falls about 20 miles away.

I feel a real sense of history when near the bridge. Realizing that one of America's first superstars died here.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 05-05-2008, 06:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied
    so there's no new forensic studies on his death?

Leave a comment:

• yanks0714
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout805 View Post
    He's still dead. :noidea

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by bkmckenna
    i wondered about that policy and the letter myself:

From the news archives, Atlanta Constitution.

[The day he left Detroit he had taken out an accident policy made payable to his little daughter and he wrote a letter in which he expressed the hope that the train he was taking would run off the track or something would happen to him.]

kinda sounds like a crock
    When I did see that, I thought for sure that if I scanned some new archives it would have been mentioned in other newspapers, it would have been noted, I found nothing. I went 20 years past Ed's death, no mention of that. If I recall the Constitution gave no source. Until I can find anything concrete, something to make it credible I'll just dismiss it.

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    i wondered about that policy and the letter myself:

[The day he left Detroit he had taken out an accident policy made payable to his little daughter and he wrote a letter in which he expressed the hope that the train he was taking would run off the track or something would happen to him.]

kinda sounds like a crock

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    i agree with runningshoes 100%

the quickest distance between two points is a straight line - start from there and only veer off that line for significant and irrefutable reasons - nearly all conspiracy theories are bunk and for the weak of mind - solid thinkers know what information to throw out and what to keep
    What I was wondering, was the story that Ed took out that accident insurance policy shortly before he took that train trip. I would think of all that we have heard that would have been the easiest to find out, did it happen or did it not. Of course that would still not mean that he did take his own life, although most would make that connection. I checked a large volume of news archives even years after his death, never saw any comments one way or another on that accident policy.

I would think that the insurance company would fight tooth and nail to try to make the pont that it was not an accident but a suicide and that might get them off the hook, no pay out. Any info on that, anyone know if that accident policy was taken out by Ed shortly before his death.

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    i agree with runningshoes 100%

sowell's book does make for good reading and it does pertetuate the delahanty discussion/story but let's take it for what it is - speculation in many areas

i'm not trashing sowell - he had an agenda with the book and it worked - was it to present 100% truth? i don't think so - the story is much more entertaining by taking dramatic license and by placing emphasis perhaps where it doesn't belong

it is up to the reader to figure things out - unfortunately most readers don't have the background to know the difference nor do they have the skill to question and analyze all the data - the more information provided the murkier the story becomes

the quickest distance between two points is a straight line - start from there and only veer off that line for significant and irrefutable reasons - nearly all conspiracy theories are bunk and for the weak of mind - solid thinkers know what information to throw out and what to keep

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes
    replied
    Originally posted by julusnc
    I have read this book and it is well writen and interesting take on Big Ed.Mike Sowell is a respect baseball historian and life long member of SABR so his word must be worth more than people making comments on this post.
    Doesn't matter what he says or what his reputation is, he's perpetuating speculation of an event that no one, including himself, really knows anything about. This Is fine if he's a doing a study of myths in baseball or how things get blown way out of proportion; he can knock himself out doing it. If he's presenting it as fact or something to be strongly considered, that's another story.
    Last edited by runningshoes; 01-23-2006, 09:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• julusnc
    replied
    I have read this book and it is well writen and interesting take on Big Ed.Mike Sowell is a respect baseball historian and life long member of SABR so his word must be worth more than people making comments on this post.

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes
    replied
    Originally posted by NeverJustAGame
    Mike Sowell is the author of a great book entitled July 2, 1903.The book gives great insight into the life and death of Hall of Fame great Ed Delahanty.

Many believe he was robbed because he was known to keep alot of cash on his person and also while on his last trip was carrying jewelry belonging to his wife.

Some say he might have been killed by the powers that be for he was the bright star that was known to jump teams at the drop of a hat.

Also death from gamblers he might have owed.Not baseball gamblers but horse and dog racing gamblers.
    You're perpetuating wild speculation with things like this. Any writer is going rely on these kinds of things to sell a book. Does that make it a great book?

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    I don't swear by the following, do not know if it was ever verified.

[
    The day he left Detroit he had taken out an accident policy made payable to his little daughter and he wrote a letter in which he expressed the hope that the train he was taking would run off the track or something would happen to him.]

From the Buffalo News archives
    [The body found in the river below the falls was identified as that of Ed Delahanty. The body was mangled, broken fingers and one leg missing. It's believed the missing leg was the result of being struck by the propeller of the Maid of The Mist, docked near where the body was found.]

For those not familiar with the Maid of The Mist. A large ship where one can take a ride and get very close to the falls at Niagara, very close, a spectacular view. Passengers are supplied with rain gear to protect them from the might mist that rises as the water comes over the falls.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 01-23-2006, 08:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied
    the shortest distance between two points is a straight line - train to bridge to water - where all the gamblers, powers-that-be, jewelry thieves, suspicious eyewitness accounts come from is pure and simple not fact - if that is good enough for some to consider HISTORY then so be it i guess - to me it if gunk mucking up history - it might make for a good conspiracy book but that book would be listed under fiction - sort of the hollywood equivalent of 'based on a true story'
    You're right of course, but you have to recognize that the simple "train-Bridge-water" explaination is pure fiction also. Occam's Razor doesn't necessarily make something so. The fact is that we have absolutely no idea what happened between the time he got off the train and the time his body washed up, so the truth, for all meaningful purposes, does not exist. Any and all theories, including the one that he just was drunk and fell off the bridge, are pure speculation and fiction.

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    there is a huge difference between 'what is plausible' and 'what is wildass speculation' - there are so many falsehoods and 'accepted truths' about the game that make research very difficult - sportswriters took many, many liberties with the facts and today they are repeated in history books, in encyclopedias, on the internet, at the bar and here on baseball fever - add to this the modern propensity to see conspiracy and foul play in virtually everything and we have a bigger problem

the problem is we completely miss the truth - it usually isn't as grand a story nor does it have that great readability we want so that we have an interesting story to spread - many here on bbf can hear numerous stories that we know to be false - we try to correct them but often there is no use - fans will believe what they want to believe - the bigger the story the better

historians who actually spend hours, days, weeks and years getting to the bottom of stories will eventually publish their findings - however few people (percentage-wise) will even bother to read his/her work - those that do will see things a little more clearly and those that don't won't - in the end few will know or even believe those historians that put the kabosh on another myth

the shortest distance between two points is a straight line - train to bridge to water - where all the gamblers, powers-that-be, jewelry thieves, suspicious eyewitness accounts come from is pure and simple not fact - if that is good enough for some to consider HISTORY then so be it i guess - to me it if gunk mucking up history - it might make for a good conspiracy book but that book would be listed under fiction - sort of the hollywood equivalent of 'based on a true story'

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X