No hitters: Best/worst all time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No hitters: Best/worst all time

Let's talk about no-hitters shall we . . .

Specifically the best no-hitters (NOT counting perfect games) and the worst no-hitters you've read about.

Personally, one of the best no hitters I've read about was the one Kevin Brown pitched against the Giants in '97. No errors, no walks, only missed a perfecto by hitting a batsman.

Another good one is the one Ken Holtzman pitched against the Braves in '69. Notable because a. He did NOT record a strikeout in the game and b. it was done in Wrigley Field (not an easy place for pitchers).

now to the other end of the spectrum. One of the worst (or best depending on POV) was Dock Ellis's no-no against the Padres in '70 when he was on LSD (he walked 8 and hit 1 in that game). Another bad one was when Ken Johnson of Astros (then the Colt .45s) no hit the Reds in '64 . . . and lost because of 2 errors in the 9th inning leading to a run.

So what do you all think?

AJ Burnett: 7 SO, 9 BB

Comment

June 27, 1980. Jerry Reuss of LA no-hit the Giants, facing only 28 hitters. The only blemish was an error by Dodger shortstop Bill Russell in the first inning. Jack Clark hit a routine ground ball to short but Russell, after making an easy pickup, threw one of his patented one-hoppers to first, and the usually reliably Steve Garvey couldn't come up with the errant throw and Clark became the only base runner of the game for SF. Reuss walked none and K'd 2. Dodgers 9, Giants 0.

The VERY BEST no-hit game, IMHO, has to be Hippo Vaughn vs Fred Toney in 1917. BOTH pitchers tossed no-nos at each other in the SAME GAME. The game was scoreless after 9 innings, and Toney won the game in the 10th, completing his 10 inning gem.

On the flip side, my first instinct regarding the worst no-hitter was to go with either Oakland in 1974 (four different pitchers combined) or Houston in 2003 (SIX different pitchers combined), however upon further reflection, I have to give the nod to a no-hitter that was VERY well-pitched and not at all sloppy. The reason I choose this one over the other much sloppier no-hitters, is because the pitcher who threw the no-hitter LOST. Ken Johnson struck out nine Reds and walked only two, but one of those walks came around to score and he lost to Joe Nuxhall, who tossed a five-hitter, 1-0. Using this criterion for a 'worst' no-hitter, I suppose I would have to put Vaughn's in the same category, except Vaughn did give up a couple of hits, albeit AFTER nine innings, so his isn't a complete game no-no.
      Last edited by Dodgerfan1; 11-04-2006, 01:04 PM.
      Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

Nomo's at Coors was pretty impressive
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by Jason R. Maier
          One of the worst (or best depending on POV) was Dock Ellis's no-no against the Padres in '70 when he was on LSD (he walked 8 and hit 1 in that game).
          You have got to be kidding, he really pitched while he was on LSD? How in the world does that happen? And how did he pitch a no-hitter while high?

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1
            You have got to be kidding, he really pitched while he was on LSD? How in the world does that happen? And how did he pitch a no-hitter while high?
            Seattle1, here is a link for you:

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/ellis.asp
            Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

Best No-No
              Jim Abbot. You had to feel good for him because of all the obscales he had to overcome.
              "Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio."-Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I think the best one isn't even counted: Ernie Shore's pluperfect game in which he faced 26 batters and retired 27.
                The ball once struck off,
                Away flies the boy
                To the next destin'd post,
                And then home with joy.
                --Anonymous, 1744

Comment

What about the 6 Astro pitchers that no-hit the Yankees at Yankee Stadium?

Comment

The best would be Ernie Shore's, but the worst is Andy Hawkin's on 7/1/90. 4 runs! Lost 4-0 to the White Sox. (He was on the Yankees)

Comment

Originally posted by IAmSmarterThanYou
                      The best would be Ernie Shore's, but the worst is Andy Hawkin's on 7/1/90. 4 runs! Lost 4-0 to the White Sox. (He was on the Yankees)
                      Ernie Shore's doesn't count, since Jason specified he did not want to use perfect games for his list.

Comment

I would call that atrocity that Burnett inflicted on the game and the 7 walk one that Joe Cowley bumbled into far worse than the Dock Ellis one. It has the positive virtue of being a great story
                        3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgerfan1
                          Ernie Shore's doesn't count, since Jason specified he did not want to use perfect games for his list.
                          Doesn't matter anyway, since a few years back, when MLB re-evaluated every no-hitter against their new definitions, Shore's was eliminated from the list. Talk about a travesty!

The other joke is that Harvey Haddix' '59 beauty, in which he went 12 perfect innings, only to lose in the 13, partly because of an error, has also been given the Stalin treatment. His Pirates that day also earn everlasting "don't got your back" infamy when they couldn't get him even one run in those 12 innings!

MLB didn't do all wrong, however. For some reason I have forgotten, they wiped away undoubtedly the ugliest no-no of my life, Andy Hawkins' 1990 4-0 loss to the ChiSox. Because he lost on the road, he only went 8 IP, and I guess the new rule is you have to go at least nine (fair enough), and if you lose, you still must have allowed no hits (deleting, among others, Jim Maloney's '65 loss to the Mets in 10, 1-0).

My favorite? Rick Wise's do-it-all number in '71, where he also hit two HRs! Thanks for listening!

freak
                          Thanks for listening!

freak

Comment

The best no-hitter I ever saw was David Cone's perfect game, boy I was as nervous as Cone in the 9th inning.

The worst and ugliest no-hitter I ever remember was of course AJ Burnett's no-no @ San Diego.
                            Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Matt Kemp, San Diego Padres (August 14, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals 2-0 (October 3, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              The best no-hitter I ever saw was David Cone's perfect game, boy I was as nervous as Cone in the 9th inning.
                              That was a beauty. Unfortunately, one of the criteria for this question was that perfect games don't count.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X