He might be 20th-23rd.

Leave a comment:

• Los Bravos
    replied
    Henry Aaron?

Leave a comment:

• 1phillies fan382
    replied
    Seriously, I doubt anyone values my opinion, but I'll post it here.

I'm a Phillies fan. All of my efforts are devoted to helping the Phillies win. I dream of one day working in their front office. I am also a fan of baseball history, data analysis, and current MLB. I hate all other MLB teams, but try to be tolerant of those who have yet to see the light and become baptized in the Philadelphia Holy Water. I watch about 145 Phillies game a year, whether live or DVR'ed, and am extremely pissed when I have to miss one. My ideal year has me watching every single Phillies game, but alas, work and school can get in the way.

For a little bit about me: I was born and raised in Newark, DE, which is about 40 miles south of South Philly. I am also a big Eagles fan, and a Sixers and Flyers fan, though I admittedly don't follow basketball or hockey a whole ton until the playoffs. I am a sophomore at the University of Delaware, with a major in Marketing and a minor in Business Analytics. Outside of the Phillies and Eagles, I love movies.

I played baseball growing up for about 15 years. I got cut my junior year from the varsity baseball program at my high school in Wilmington, DE. My team has won something like 11 of the last 15 state championships, so they were pretty good, but I was understandably pretty upset with getting cut. I played left field and first base when I played. I threw left-handed and batted right-handed, like Cody Ross.

I've never made a list of 100 top players, but my top 20 players of all time would be:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Willie Mays
    5. Ted Williams
    6. Roger Clemens
    7. Rogers Hornsby
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Walter Johnson
    10. Stan Musial
    11. Greg Maddux
    12. Lou Gehrig
    13. Mickey Mantle
    14. Mike Schmidt
    15. Eddie Collins
    16. Frank Robinson
    17. Rickey Henderson
    18. Grover Cleveland Alexander
    19. Christy Mathewson
    20. Alex Rodriguez

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Afterglow
    That is going to be a lot of outfield assists. LOL
    Those are fun, too.

Leave a comment:

• Bucketfoot
    replied
    I tend to cut the WW2 era somewhat, but you can easily go overboard.

I am more impressed by career length over peak. Thus you will see the names
    Kaat and Sutton put in a favorable light.

Pete Alexander>Christy Mathewson.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    1. PEDs used when it wasn't illegal shouldn't be punished. Before 2004 anybody could have used and it shouldn't matter.
    2. On that same line, PED doesn't affect much performance.
    3. NLers are difficult to measure since we can't tell for sure how well they would have fared.
    4. I'm against comparing players across the years trying to put into the players stat into context. Player comparison can only be done comparing how he fared against his contemporaries.
    5. Advanced metrics shouldn't be the most important tool to use when evaluating players.
    6. RBIs and Run Scored have the same value since both outcomes are team dependant except when a homerun occurs.
    7. We still don't have a consistent and accurate defensive metric.
    8. The Hall of Fame should only take into account what a player did on field.
    9. I'm happy I got the pleasure of seeing the following: A Barry Bonds AB, a Pedro Martinez's start, a Ken Griffey Jr.'s swing, an Albert Pujol's stare, a Mark McGwire's homerun, a Greg Maddux's pitch sequence, an Alex Rodriguez throw from SS and a Tony Gwynn's hit.
    10. A player should rather swing than take a walk on some circumstances.
    So many opinions that I agree with, and then DiMaggio not in your top 20?

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankillaz View Post
    I think I haven't posted here before. So my official opinions:

My Top 20 Position Players:

My Top 20 Pitchers:

Overrated: Joe Dimaggio, Joe Morgan, Derek Jeter, Most Yankee players.

Underrated: Mel Ott, Arky Vaughan, Pedro Martinez.

Personal Opinions:

1. PEDs used when it wasn't illegal shouldn't be punished. Before 2004 anybody could have used and it shouldn't matter.
    3. NLers are difficult to measure since we can't tell for sure how well they would have fared.
    4. I'm against comparing players across the years trying to put into the players stat into context. Player comparison can only be done comparing how he fared against his contemporaries.
    5. Advanced metrics shouldn't be the most important tool to use when evaluating players.
    6. RBIs and Run Scored have the same value since both outcomes are team dependant except when a homerun occurs.
    9. I'm happy I got the pleasure of seeing the following: A Barry Bonds AB, a Pedro Martinez's start, a Ken Griffey Jr.'s swing, an Albert Pujol's stare, a Mark McGwire's homerun, a Greg Maddux's pitch sequence, an Alex Rodriguez throw from SS and a Tony Gwynn's hit.
    I'm willing to listen, why do you think they used.

Leave a comment:

• 3and2Fastball
    replied
    considering that

A) when I was in High School in the early 80's, high school ballplayers used PED's, almost every college athlete I knew used PED's and the NFL was awash in PED's as early as the mid 70's

B) MLB players don't live in a vacuum

then I can conclude that:

C) There were likely alot of MLB players on PED's as early as the 70's. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mickey Mantle was on PED's in the 60's even (perhaps unknowingly, they were shooting him up with supposedly "B12"). I wouldn't be surprised if 75-90% of MLB was on steroids in the 90's

Leave a comment:

• Yankillaz
    replied
    I think I haven't posted here before. So my official opinions:

My Top 20 Position Players:

Barry Bonds
    Babe Ruth
    Willie Mays
    Ty Cobb
    Honus Wagner
    Rogers Hornsby
    Hank Aaron
    Ted Williams
    Tris Speaker
    Stan Musial
    Lou Gehrig
    Mickey Mantle
    Alex Rodriguez
    Rickey Henderson
    Mike Schmidt
    Albert Pujols
    Eddie Collins
    Johnny Bench
    Nap Lajoie
    Jimmie Foxx

My Top 20 Pitchers:

Walter Johnson
    Roger Clemens
    Lefty Grove
    Greg Maddux
    Randy Johnson
    Tom Seaver
    Pete Alexander
    Cy Young
    Christy Mathewson
    Pedro Martinez
    Warren Spahn
    Bob Gibson
    Steve Carlton
    Bob Feller
    Kid Nichols
    Gaylord Perry
    Bert Blyleven
    Sandy Koufax
    Juan Marichal
    Robin Roberts
    Overrated: Joe Dimaggio, Joe Morgan, Derek Jeter, Most Yankee players.

Underrated: Mel Ott, Arky Vaughan, Pedro Martinez.

Personal Opinions:

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    I'm really ticked that they're sold out of tshirts!!!
    There's been a break in their supply chain, the ship from China carrying the shirts fell off the face of the earth.

Although, I've had bad luck with those lately...bought one on eBay that had a picture of one of my favorite bluesmen on the front. It didn't mention the back, which turned out to have a quote from the guy with a bad word in it...where the heck am I supposed to wear this thing now?!?!?
    If you ever get back to Chicago, you can wear it at Blues On Halsted, I don't think you'll have a problem. Maybe not at Rosa's Lounge, though.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    We kind of know through posts but nothing really official on where people stand.

When it comes to ranking players, or just considering their greatness, what do you weigh?

Do you weigh career PA, or longevity more heavily than peak?
    5-7 year peak probably comes first as far as setting a pecking order but career length can override that. Jake Beckley will come in above Dave Orr, Tom Glavine > Dwight Gooden etc.

Do you consider missed war years and what is your thought process? some as far as there may be prime years missing when thinking about peak and rates

When viewing players who PLAYED during the war years, do you downgrade their stats due to weaker competition? yes, I will asterisk them

There are some other scenarios...

Some weigh postseason while others say that not everyone had the chance to be in the post season.

Some weigh voted on awards like GG, All-Star appearances, etc...and other say they don't mean much.

Anyone care to chime in on exactly where they stand on these types of issues? Maybe it is a tie breaker if there are a few closely matched players but otherwise it doesn't occur to me to look at it.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    He didn't say everyone thought the world was flat. In fact, there are still people who think the world is flat.
    I'm really ticked that they're sold out of tshirts!!!
    Although, I've had bad luck with those lately...bought one on eBay that had a picture of one of my favorite bluesmen on the front. It didn't mention the back, which turned out to have a quote from the guy with a bad word in it...where the heck am I supposed to wear this thing now?!?!?

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Thank for the replies to my previous post.

Update: Altering yourself by using PEDs to gain an athletic edge and to obtain unwarranted multi-millions, all the while destroying the record book is MUCH worse than a manager betting on his team to win.
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 02-03-2015, 09:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    My wife and I never go to that place, but she used to visit a website about the kinds of people seen in those stores around the country. It was pretty funny, and embarrassing as fellow citizens of this great nation. Some of the stuff people would wear to that store is unbelievable.
    I have seen people in my local Walmart that would be right at home on that website. I mean unbelievable.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X