No announcement yet.

Pete Alexander Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I should also add that the pitchers who made the jump to the FL most of them did not hang around the majors much longer after the closing of the FL.

So take from that what you want.

I think I'll stand by the view that the FL had a negligible to slight bonus for Pete.

Comment

Rickey. Please be carefull. This is Frank Chance. Google searches must be done with care.

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-28-2006, 09:38 PM.
      2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Possible replacement for post #4:
        Grover Cleveland Alexander as a Cubs player for the first time 1918.jpg
        Source: Lelands
        A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Post #3: This is from a different angle than the one you've got currently, and it looks like it was taken seconds before or after the other, so you could throw it in there right next to it.
          Grover Cleveland Alexander and Shore.jpg
          A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Also, here are a few of my favorite photos of Ol' Pete that aren't shown here yet:
            Grover Cleveland Alexander smiling in 1915.JPGGrover Cleveland Alexander Phillies 1914.jpg Grover Cleveland Alexander Phillies batting ca. 1917.JPGGrover Cleveland Alexander Cubs.JPG Grover Cleveland Alexander Phillies with bat.jpg

Sorry for large size, didn't want them to lose any quality. Bill, you can delete these (and any that follow), once you're done with them, whether you decide to include them or not.

Comment

Here's a good rare pic:

There's Pete on the mound watching Satchel Paige warm up at Yankee Stadium - May 11, 1941.
              Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

Pete Alexander with the Cardinals

322nd Field Artillery

Thats all for now, there will be more soon.

Comment

Grover in a Cubs uniform(sorry don't know what year)

Grover the soldier

Grover warming up for the Cubs 1919

Grover with another teamate

Grover standing

Well thats all I have for now. Hopefully you guys enjoy them.

Comment

These are great shots of Alexander the Great.

Comment

1) Grover Cleveland Alexander - 1912 (sidelines)

2) Grover Cleveland Alexander - 1912 (sidelines 2)

3) Grover Cleveland Alexander - 4.26.1913

4) Grover Cleveland Alexander - 4.26.1913 (2)
                      Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

Comment

Alexander The Great suspended.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Pete Alexander Interview, Baseball Magazine, July, 1929, pp. 339.
                          [ATTACH]44330[/ATTACH]
                          Image9.jpg
                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-11-2008, 02:10 PM.

Comment

June 1926 Alexander is suspended by manager Joe McCarthy. He is sent packing to the Cards in that same season, welcomed by Hornsby, gets the job done against the Yanks in the 1926 World Series.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Pete was the hero for my cardinals and got us our first world series title in the 1926 World Series at the age of 39 so i thank him for that. It's shame we didnt get him when he was at his best in the 10's because who knows how good both him and the Cardinals would have been.

Comment

Wow, Pete got old before he was young. Him 'n' Satch were probably about the same age in 1941 but he looks to be about 50 years older.
                                Originally posted by Cougar
                                "Read at your own risk. Baseball Fever shall not be responsible if you become clinically insane trying to make sense of this post. People under 18 must read in the presence of a parent, guardian, licensed professional, or Dr. Phil."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X