X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluesky5
    replied
    Originally posted by nerfan View Post
    Wow, Pete got old before he was young. Him 'n' Satch were probably about the same age in 1941 but he looks to be about 50 years older.
    Ha, yea Alexnder looked old even as a rookie before his compounding physical ailments.

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    But I should also add that the pitchers who made the jump to the FL most of them did not hang around the majors much longer after the closing of the FL.

So take from that what you want.

I think I'll stand by the view that the FL had a negligible to slight bonus for Pete.
    Wouldn't this be partly due to an unofficial black balling? It's not like I'm saying some all-timer got left out. Just saying it seems like the black balling is a real possibility.

Leave a comment:

• Bucketfoot
    replied
    Awesome pitcher. Great control. Excelled in 2 eras, and all the personal tragedy. ESPN barely knows he existed.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
    What?! That article JR posted was ranking the best athletes from Nebraska. Do you really think Pete was a better athlete than a guy who starred in both baseball and basketball? Gibson was one of the stars of his college basketball team, leading them in scoring many games, played a season with the Harlem Globetrotters, not only was a dominating pitcher but also one helluva hitter. Ol' Pete was a fine control pitcher, but he suffered from shellshock, epileptic seizures, and pretty severe alcoholism. I think it is clear that Bob Gibson was a better athlete, no disrespect to Alex.
    Gibson averaged 20.2 ppg in basketball, in the 1950s. pretty impressive.

BTW Gale Sayers is #2. For Alexander after all these years, to be ranked 3rd, over Husker icons like Johnny Rodgers, says a lot for Old Pete.
    Last edited by JR Hart; 08-01-2016, 09:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Floyd Gondolli
    replied
    One of my favorite facts about Pete Alexander, that proves he might be the greatest ever:

He pitched 162 games in the Baker Bowl [1450 IP] and carried an ERA of 1.87. 36 shutouts and 126 complete games.

Now, that doesn't sound THAT amazing on face value, even though half was in the Liveball Era. But consider just how much of a hitters paradise it was....I've NEVER seen career numbers like this:

Capture 2.PNG

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Originally posted by Victory Faust View Post
    Whoever ranked Bob Gibson above Ol' Pete is a frigging moron.
    What?! That article JR posted was ranking the best athletes from Nebraska. Do you really think Pete was a better athlete than a guy who starred in both baseball and basketball? Gibson was one of the stars of his college basketball team, leading them in scoring many games, played a season with the Harlem Globetrotters, not only was a dominating pitcher but also one helluva hitter. Ol' Pete was a fine control pitcher, but he suffered from shellshock, epileptic seizures, and pretty severe alcoholism. I think it is clear that Bob Gibson was a better athlete, no disrespect to Alex.

Leave a comment:

• Victory Faust
    replied
    Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
    I spent part of my childhood in Nebraska. My wife is from Nebraska. Although I live in South Dakota, from my house, I can see bluffs that overlook the Missouri River, that are in Nebraska.

I was curious as to Old Pete's standing among Nebraska historians. I found this article from 2005, in which the Omaha World Herald ranks the top 100 native Nebraska athletes of all time. Alex is still #3.

http://dataomaha.com/nebraska100

Other baseball players ranked are:

Bob Gibson (1)
    Richie Ashburn (7)
    Dazzy Vance (11)
    Sam Crawford (13)
    Mel Harder (27)
    Bob Cerv (30)
    Greg Olsen rp (51)
    Les Mann (62)
    Johnny Hopp (77)

Whoever ranked Bob Gibson above Ol' Pete is a frigging moron.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    It sure is pretty country up there. I have a good friend who has a farm in the far western part of Minnesota, a few miles from South Dakota. We go up there about once a year or so. There are still some town team leagues up there in Central Minnesota where my wife is from. A guy on my team, a doc in the Army here at Ft. Hood, is from that area and he talked about the town teams up there. Do they still have them out in your area?
    Lord yes

Amateur ball is huge here and especially NE Nebraska. The town teams of Crofton Ne and Wynot NE are legendary. Yankton SD where I live has a team, but the town is 15,000 people, big for this area and there isn't the passion, like in the towns of less than 1000.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    i'll give you that. I only live about 35 miles from Iowa, too. The closest town is probably Akron, IA.
    It sure is pretty country up there. I have a good friend who has a farm in the far western part of Minnesota, a few miles from South Dakota. We go up there about once a year or so. There are still some town team leagues up there in Central Minnesota where my wife is from. A guy on my team, a doc in the Army here at Ft. Hood, is from that area and he talked about the town teams up there. Do they still have them out in your area?

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Took all those great Iowegian genes with him, too. That made it easy for him to succeed out there in that wasteland, and to be a baseball immortal. Can't shake the genes, man.
    i'll give you that. I only live about 35 miles from Iowa, too. The closest town is probably Akron, IA.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Sorry, but no. He moved to Nebraska at a young age and grew up there, went to High School there, and played semi-pro and class D ball there. He's a Cornhusker.
    Took all those great Iowegian genes with him, too. That made it easy for him to succeed out there in that wasteland, and to be a baseball immortal. Can't shake the genes, man.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Dazzy was one of ours.
    Sorry, but no. He moved to Nebraska at a young age and grew up there, went to High School there, and played semi-pro and class D ball there. He's a Cornhusker.

Leave a comment:

• Herr28
    replied
    Dazzy was one of ours.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    I spent part of my childhood in Nebraska. My wife is from Nebraska. Although I live in South Dakota, from my house, I can see bluffs that overlook the Missouri River, that are in Nebraska.

I was curious as to Old Pete's standing among Nebraska historians. I found this article from 2005, in which the Omaha World Herald ranks the top 100 native Nebraska athletes of all time. Alex is still #3.

http://dataomaha.com/nebraska100

Other baseball players ranked are:

Bob Gibson (1)
    Richie Ashburn (7)
    Dazzy Vance (11)
    Sam Crawford (13)
    Mel Harder (27)
    Bob Cerv (30)
    Greg Olsen rp (51)
    Les Mann (62)
    Johnny Hopp (77)

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Well, Dennis put together his book by interviewing people that were actually at the ceremony. So I'm not dismissing firsthand, contemporary accounts.
    Yeah, I'll have to revisit that account. Though, I am getting very leery of Cobb material as he was systematically libeled, defrauded, stolen from and improperly portrayed by one biographer and routinely misrepresented by sportswriters since his death, as well as non-baseball writers, and character-assassinated by any fool with a keyboard and internet access the last two decades.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian McKenna View Post
    Cobb was at many of the events and even said in one of the quotes that he was in town when the ceremonies started. Not sure why he was called first if he wasn't even present. Also not sure without a good deal of proof how wise is it to lap up gossip "decades later" and summarily dismiss firsthand, contemporary accounts.
    Well, Dennis put together his book by interviewing people that were actually at the ceremony. So I'm not dismissing firsthand, contemporary accounts.

As for why Cobb would travel all that way I certainly could see Cobb traveling to Cooperstown for all the get togethers. He did visit the Hall 5 more times in his life and he was a rather active advocate for his friends and colleagues.

Did he miss all the speeches, or did he arrive towards the end of them?
    According to eyewitness accounts from the future director of the Hall of Fame Ty Cobb arrived soon after the famous photo was taken and climbed over the railing to join his fellow inductees on the stage while the ceremony was still going on.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X