No announcement yet.

Meet The Sports Writers

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Edgar W. Hayes

    Born: October 28, 1907, Corktown, MI
    Died: June 22, 1987, Monroe, MI, age 79,---d. nursing home.

    Detroit sports writer;
    Detroit Times, sports writer, 1927 - 1955, sports editor, 1955 - 1960
    Michigan State, Commissioner of horse racing, 1961
    Hazel Park racing association, board of directors

    Father: James J., born Canada, around 1872; Mother: Helene H., born Michigan, around 1874;

    Miami Herald obituary (FL), June 25, 1987
    Deceased Name: HAYES, Edgar
    HAYES, Edgar, 79, a former Michigan racing commissioner and sports editor of the Detroit Times; Monday in Detroit. Mr. Hayes joined the Times in 1927, covering high school, college and professional sports before becoming sports editor in 1955. He held that position until the Times was sold to The Detroit News in 1960.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary July 27, 1987, pp. 47.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-02-2013, 01:56 PM.


    • William Wilson Edgar---AKA Eddie Edgar

      Born: November 19, 1897, Pennsylvania
      Died: May 18, 1986, Livonia, MI, age 88,---d. St. Mary Hospital in Livonia, MI, after a short illness.

      Detroit sports writer;
      Allentown Record, 1 man sports staff,
      Detroit Free Press, 1924 - 1948
      Detroit, MI, newspaper office journalist, (April 5, 1930 census)

      Father: born Pennsylvania; Mother: born Pennsylvania

      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------May 18, 1983.
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-02-2013, 02:27 PM.


      • John Thomas Laird---AKA Tom Laird

        Born: February 27, 1895, San Francisco, CA
        Died: January 22, 1971, San Francisco, CA, age 76

        San Francisco sports writer;
        San Francisco Daily News, office boy, 1909 - 1911
        San Francisco News police reporter, Love Advice Column "Cynthia Grey", 1911 - 1915), sports editor, 1915 - January 1, 1943.
        Partner in Sacramento bowling alley, January 1, 1943 -?
        He was later an official with Tanforan Bay Meadows and race tracks.
        He was in poor health his last 3 years, and was a patient in a Marin County convalescent home.
        Tom was a native of the Mission District (San Francisco) , and later lived at 100 Pinehurst Way, South San Francisco.
        Tom was an intense, fiesty kind of guy who didn't back down from his opinions.
        He was Joe DiMaggio's staunchest booster for the Major Leagues.
        Specialized in boxing & baseball. Knew Dempsey, DiMaggio, O'Doul.
        During an interview with Al Corona of the San Francisco Examiner in 1999, Floyd "Bucky" Walter a former sportswriter and columnist for the San Francisco News, News Call Bulletin and the Examiner, spoke about Tom Laird:

        Tom Laird, a two-fisted journalist from the old days, was the News sports editor at the time. "He was rough and tough," Walter recalled, "but he knew his sports. I think baseball and boxing were his favorites. He was a former semipro first baseman. When he found out how I liked baseball, he took an interest in me."

        Walter recalls the time Laird flattened the late Examiner columnist Prescott Sullivan with one punch near the Polo Field in Golden Gate Park. Sullivan had written something that Laird didn't like. A true newspaperman, Sullivan got into his car and drove to The Examiner, where he wrote a column on how it felt to meet "Iron Mike," what Laird called his right-hand punch, on an intimate basis. "Nobody was going to scoop me on my own knockout," Sullivan said at the time.

        Walter also recalled it was Laird who informed skeptical New York writers that Joe DiMaggio would make them forget Babe Ruth when the ex-Seals outfielder was signed by the Yankees in the mid-'30s.

        San Francisco Sunday Examiner & Chronicle, January 24, 1971, pp. B7------Sporting News' obituary, February 13, 1971, pp. 44.

        ----------------------------------------------------------------------L-R: Tony Lazzeri, Frankie Crossetti, Tom Laird, Joe DiMaggio: 1936-37

        Tom and Joe DiMaggio: possibly mid-50's.
        (courtesy of Alicia E. (Laird) Williams, Tom's great grand-daughter, and MaryEllen Laird,
        Tom's grand-daughter. Thanks to them, we now have these 2 photos.)

        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-06-2012, 01:02 AM.


        • Timothy Sylvester Cohane---AKA Tim Cohane

          Born: February 7, 1912, New Haven, CT
          Died: January 22, 1989, Derry, NH, age 76,---d. Sunday at a health care center in Nashua, NH, after a lengthy illness.

          Free-lance sports writer;
          Graduated Fordham University (Bronx, NY), 1935
          Fordham University Publicity director, 5 years after his graduation. (Bronx, NY)
          New York World Telegram, 1940 - 1944, (His column was 'Frothy Facts'.)
          Look (Magazine), sports writer/editor, 1944-65,
          Boston University teacher, 1968-78, taught writing until his retirement in 1978.
          Sunrise (magazine)

          Tim Cohane (Sportswriter. Born, New Haven, Conn., Feb. 7, 1912; died, Nashua, N.H., Jan. 22, 1989.) A writer and editor, Timothy Cohane began his career as the sports publicist for Fordham following his graduation in 1935. Cohane thus became the public relations arm during the most glorious era of Rams football. He revived a phrase, first used by sportswriters for the 1929 team, “Seven Blocks of Granite.” The phrase was apropos since the team was built around its line, led by center Alex Wojciechowicz (q.v.). In June 1940, Cohane departed Rose Hill to join the sports staff of the afternoon World-Telegram, where he covered various sports and wrote a syndicated column of sports items entitled “Frothy Facts.” In 1944, he left to become sports editor of the weekly pictorial magazine Look and remained there until it folded in 1965. Cohane later taught writing courses at Boston U. (1968-78). (The Bill Shannon Biographical Dictionary of New York Sports is an open database of sports biographies maintained by Jordan Sprechman and Marty Appel.)

          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary February 6, 1989, pp. 41.

          December 3, 1954; Look Magazine sports editor Tim Cohane (L) awards a specially
          designed wristwatch to Look All America fullback Alan Ameche of Wisconsin.
          -------------------New York Times' obituary, January 24, 1989, pp. D22.

          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-14-2012, 12:26 PM.


          • William Arthur Rafter---AKA Bill Rafter

            Born: September 1, 1875, Rhinecliff, NY
            Died: February 13, 1926, Brooklyn, NY, age 47,---d. At home, when cold turned into pneumonia within a week

            Brooklyn sports editor;
            Brooklyn Standard-Union sports editor, 1900 - 1926
            official scorer of Brooklyn Baseball team,
            Lodge 22 of the Elks, member of Press club.

            -----------------------------------------------------------------------New York Times' obituary, February 14, 1926, pp. 28.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-21-2010, 03:34 PM.


            • George Moore Graham

              Born: July 11, 1875, Philadelphia, PA
              Died: November 15, 1944, Miami, FL, age 68

              Philadelphia sports writer;
              Philadelphia North American, 1905?- 1916
              New York Pierce-Arrow Automobile Company, November 26, 1918 - August 17, 1919
              Chandler car company, October 16, 1921 - August 26, 1927
              Cleveland White Motor Truck company, August 26, 1927 - September 27, 1931
              Studebaker Motor Company, sales manager, September 27, 1931 - 1932, retired. Launched Rockne car

              New York Times' obituary, November 17, 1944, pp. 19.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-21-2010, 03:35 PM.


              • Joseph James Krueger, Jr.

                Born: December 18, 1899, Milwaukee, WI
                Died: August 17, 1981, Milwaukee, WI, age 82

                Father: Joseph; Mother: Mary Noll;

                Joe wrote a baseball book, Baseball's Greatest Drama, 1942.

                Milwaukee Sentinel, April 9, 1976-----------Milwaukee Sentinel obituary, August 18, 1981.------------------------------------------------------1954.
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-02-2013, 03:38 PM.


                • William O'Connell McGeehan---AKA Bill McGeehan

                  Born: November 22, 1879, San Francisco, CA
                  Died: November 29, 1933, Brunswick, GA, age 54,---d. heart ailment at Sea Island, Georgia.

                  San Franciso/New York sports writer:
                  Stanford University (Stanford, CA),
                  Spanish-American War (1898),
                  San Francisco Call, 1900, boxing beat,
                  San Francisco Chronicle,
                  San Francisco Examiner reporter,
                  San Francisco Bulletin city editor/managing editor;
                  San Francisco Evening Post city editor/managing editor:
                  Arrived NYC 1914;
                  New York Evening Journal boxing writer,1914
                  Began covering ML BB in 1915 for New York Tribune
                  New York Tribune sports writer, then sports editor
                  WWI (1917), no overseas, trained infantrymen;
                  New York Tribune managing editor, 1921
                  New York Herald sports writer with daily column (1922).
                  In 1924, Herald merged with Tribune.
                  New York Herald Tribune sports writer, 1924 - 1933

                  Father: Hugh; Mother: Teresa; Wife: Sophie Treadmill, born October 3, 1885, Stockton, CA, died February 20, 1970. Bill married Sophie January 27, 1910 in Oakland, CA.

                  McGeehan is credited with originating the "Aw, Nuts" style of sports journalism. They didn't write to create heroes, blow athletes out of proportion into myths, legends, or cultural legends. They wrote to be critical but fair analysts. Fought to find the men under the hype.

                  Early life
                  He was born to Hugh and Theresa O'Connell McGeehan on November 22, 1879 in San Francisco, California, and died in Brunswick, Georgia, on November 29, 1933.

                  McGeehan entered Stanford University, but left within the first year as he enlisted in the U.S. Army to fight in the Spanish-American War. After the war. he returned to San Francisco, going to work as a reporter for the San Francisco Bulletin. McGeehan continued to work for different papers in San Francisco, including the San Francisco Chronicle.

                  It was during his reporter days in San Francisco that he received the nickname "Sheriff." It seems some 13 desperate convicts had escaped from Folsom Prison, outside Sacramento; one was killed in the escape but the other 12 headed for the state of Nevada. Many posses were formed and McGeehan, wanting to cover the story as a reporter, was deputized and led one of the posses into the Sierra Nevada. This group included a famous Indian Scout, Farro. They walked right by where some of the convicts were hiding and missed them. They made use of bloodhounds, but the terrain got so rough that McGeehan had to help carry the dogs back downhill. The upshot was that 3 of the 12 were captured, but the rest got away. From that time on McGeehan was known to many as Sheriff.

                  In 1910, McGeehan married Sophie Treadwell. Treadwell was a reporter and writer who became famous in her own right for her books and plays in later years. They met while working on one of the San Francisco papers and went East when McGeehan felt is was time to move on. He claimed the old Days weren't that good not much pay, a lot of work and certainly no recognition.

                  Although many of his columns and much of his work was related to boxing, he covered nearly all sports and write at length about his extensive travels. He fished and hunted moose in Canada, and spent much time in Europe especially in the Balkans and traveling around the Mediterranean. He was most often accompanied by his wife, although he referred to her as the woman who is driving me.
                  McGeehan had many excellent descriptive phrases related to various activities: Boxing was the manly art of modified murder or the Cauliflower industry. He called Primo Carnera the "tall tower of Gorgonzola" and referred to wrestlers as Pachyderms. An Italian wrestler was described as "breathing garlic and defiance." He also often wrote of a Salmon named Alphide, a leaping champion from the Meramichi River in New Brunswick, trained as a falls jumper, but died of a broken heart at the base of Niagara Falls. Also, Moe the Moose was named for Moe Levy, a fur salesman in Manhattan. His memorabilia are included with the Treadwell collection at the University of Arizona.

                  W.O. McGeehan (Sportswriter. Born, San Francisco, Calif., Nov. 22, 1879; died, Brunswick, Ga., Nov. 29, 1933.) Among the most important and best-known sportswriters of the 1920s was William O’Connell McGeehan, whose column in the Herald Tribune was entitled “Down the Line.” Bill McGeehan was an Army veteran who served in the Philippines during the Spanish-American War of 1898 and, briefly, in World War I. He started his newspaper career in his native San Francisco and came to New York in 1914 to join the Evening Journal. A year later, McGeehan switched to the Tribune, where he shortly became sports editor, and, in 1921, managing editor. But he returned to sports in 1922, when he became sports editor and columnist at the Herald. When the two papers merged in March 1924, McGeehan became the lead columnist but not sports editor. To some degree, this gave him more freedom to both write and observe events. Early in his career, McGeehan had a penchant for archaic words. He later worked away from an overreaching vocabulary to a more straightforward style but remained occasionally acerbic in his verbiage, particularly when assaulting those he felt pompous. McGeehan was stricken while on a trip to Germany with his wife but continued to file columns from his sickbed. His Herald Tribune obituary started on page 1 and filled an entire page inside the paper, along with many tributes. (The Bill Shannon Biographical Dictionary of New York Sports is an open database of sports biographies maintained by Jordan Sprechman and Marty Appel.)

                  ------------New York Times' obituary, November 30, 1933, pp. 33.----------------------------Sporting News' obituary, December 7, 1933, pp. 2.
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 11-12-2011, 05:44 PM.


                  • Harry A. Williams

                    Born: April 8, 1878, Des Moines, IA
                    Died: June 14, 1953, Los Angeles, CA, age 74,---d. found deceased in his LA apartment, apparently from natural causes.

                    Newspaper editorial writer;
                    sports writer/editor
                    Lived in California since the age of eight (1886).
                    Los Angeles Evening Express, writer, later sports editor
                    Los Angeles Register, editor, 1900
                    Los Angeles Tribune
                    Los Angeles Times, (went overseas during WWI as LA Times correspondent)
                    After war, remained in Paris as New York Herald sports editor correspondent
                    Los Angeles Times, editor, ? - 1920
                    New York Globe, 1920 -
                    New York Times, ? - 1924
                    Los Angeles Times, 1924
                    Pacific Coast League, President, 1924-32
                    Pacific Coast League, secretary/publicity director, December, 1936 - 1953.

                    Sporting News' obituary, June 24, 1953, pp. 30.


                    L-R: Harry Williams (Pacific Coast L. Sec.), W. R. Bill Schroeder, Matt Gallagher, Paul H. Helms (Helms Athletic Foundation).

                    1950's: Harry Williams, (Pacific Coast League secretary), umpire Ray Snyder, umpire Wally Hood.
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-02-2013, 02:44 PM.


                    • -------------------------Some Sports Writers went on to become the High and Mighty.

                      Some of them include the following 8 former sports writers: Ban Johnson, Charles Webb, Harry Pulliam, John Heydler, Ernest Barnard, Bill Veeck, Horace Fogel and William Locke. Their stories follow in the next 7 posts.

                      Byron Bancroft Johnson---AKA Ban Johnson Few remember that he started as a sports writer, 1886-1893.

                      Born: January 5, 1864, Norwalk, OH
                      Died: March 28, 1931, St. Louis, MO, age 67
                      Buried: Riverside Cemetery, Spencer, Owen County, Indiana

                      Phases of his career:
                      1. Cincinnati Commercial-Gazette sports writer/editor, 1886-1893
                      2. Western League President, 1893-1900
                      3. AL President, 1901-1927
                      4. Retirement, 1927-1931

                      He studied law at Marietta College, but didn't complete his degree.

                      He played as a catcher while attending college and on semi-pro teams until a thumb injury put an end to his playing career. After dropping from the University of Cincinnati law school in 1886, he took a job as a sportswriter with the the Cincinnati Commercial Gazette and was quickly promoted to sports editor. He gained a reputation as a highly-knowledgeable reporter, and made both powerful friends and enemies by supporting the Players League during the turbulent 1890 season.

                      Sports Writer
                      He later became the sports editor of a paper in Cincinnati, the Cincinnati Commercial-Gazette. During this time, he befriended Charles Comiskey, who was then manager of the Cincinnati Reds. At the suggestion of both Comiskey and Reds owner John Brush, Johnson was elected president of the Western League, a faltering minor league, at a reorganization meeting in 1893.

                      Western League President
                      In 1894 a newly formed minor league, the Western league was looking for a president. Based upon a recommendation by Charles Comiskey, John Brush made sure Ban Johnson was hired by the Western League. Brush hoped that if Johnson were busy administrating a league he would not be writing opinions for the Cincinnati papers which targeted Brush as the brunt of his criticism.

                      The Western League had eight teams including Grand Rapids, Sioux City, Milwaukee, Detroit, Kansas City, Toledo, Indianapolis and Minneapolis - the core of which would turn into the American League.

                      Johnson’s power in the Western League was enormous. He moved franchises, made schedules and signed players to his league. With a group of happy owners supporting him Johnson waited for an opportunity to take the Western League to the next level.

                      The chance came in 1899, when the National League contracted, dumping the franchises in Baltimore, Washington, Louisville and Cleveland. Johnson did not hesitate; at a special meeting of the League he changed the name to the American League and shifted Comiskey’s franchise to Chicago and added another to Cleveland.

                      The National League could have thwarted the American League there in Chicago, but the NL feared the recently defunct American Association would make a comeback which was more disconcerting than the birth of the American League, which they saw as nothing more than another minor league. So the National League and the Chicago Orphans decided to give the south side of Chicago to the American League.

                      Johnson had criticized the National League for its rowdy atmosphere, which was driving away families and women. He set about making baseball more friendly to both. Contrary to the practice of the time, he gave his umpires unqualified support and had little tolerance for players or managers who didn't give them due respect. He fined and suspended players who used foul language on the field. Soon, the Western League was recognized as not only the strongest minor league, but the best-run league in all of baseball.

                      Formation of the American League
                      Johnson, however, had a bigger plan--another major league. With the help of Comiskey, who bought the Sioux City franchise and moved it to St. Paul in 1894 after leaving the Reds, he began an ambitious plan of expansion. He got his chance after the 1899 season, when the National League dropped teams in Baltimore, Cleveland, Louisville and Washington, D.C. Johnson moved the Grand Rapids franchise to Cleveland, where they would eventually become the Indians. He also had Comiskey move his St. Paul team to Chicago, where they eventually became the White Sox. The latter move was made with the blessing of the NL, which saw Comiskey's team as a way to head off any attempt to revive the American Association. For the 1900 season, the Western League was renamed the American League, although it remained a minor league.

                      The 1900 season was an unqualified success, and Johnson received a 10-year contract extension. In October, he withdrew the American League from the National Agreement (the formal understanding between the NL and the minor leagues). The final step came on January 28, 1901, when he declared the American League would operate as a major league. He then upped the ante by placing teams in Baltimore, Boston, Philadelphia and Washington.

                      A baseball power
                      The NL then made a critical blunder by limiting salaries to $2,400--a low sum even by 1901 standards. Johnson, Comiskey and the other AL owners responded by raiding NL rosters, promising disgruntled players much higher salaries. Eventually, over 100 players "jumped" to the new league. After a two-year war in which the AL trounced the NL in attendance both seasons, the NL sued for peace. Under a new National Agreement, the AL was formally recognized as the second major league. A three-man National Commission was set up, comprised of both league presidents and Reds owner Garry Herrmann. Although Herrmann was nominal president of the commission, Johnson soon dominated the body.

                      Johnson ruled the American League with an iron hand. He brooked no criticism, and made it very difficult for men he didn't like to buy into the league. For instance, when Harry Frazee bought the Boston Red Sox in 1917, Johnson tried almost from the start to drive him out. Frazee was the first owner in league history not to be virtually handpicked by Johnson. In fact, it was Johnson who started the rumors that Frazee was Jewish and thus not fit to be part of the "noble" sport of baseball. At one point, he even had ownership interests in the Cleveland and Washington teams. There were unconfirmed rumors that he owned stakes in the other six teams as well.

                      The Frazee dispute planted the seed for Johnson's downfall. Eventually, the league divided into two factions, with the Red Sox, White Sox and New York Yankees on one side and the other five clubs (the Indians, Philadelphia Athletics, St. Louis Browns, Detroit Tigers and Washington Senators, known as the "Loyal 5") on the other. By this time, Comiskey had become a bitter enemy of Johnson; the two men's once warm friendship had strained considerably after Comiskey lost Jack Quinn to the Yankees for the 1919 season on a Johnson ruling. Johnson's authority eroded further that year when the Red Sox traded Carl Mays to the Yankees in defiance of a Johnson order to suspend him. The Yankees got an injunction to allow Mays to play.

                      The final nail in Johnson's coffin proved to be the Black Sox Scandal. Johnson blew off Comiskey's claims that his White Sox may have been on the take from gamblers. However, when the scandal broke with only a week to go for the 1920 season, the White Sox, Red Sox and Yankees threatened to pull out of the American League and join a new 12-team National League. The enlarged league would include a new team in Detroit unrelated to the Tigers, who were owned by Johnson loyalist Frank Navin. However, Navin was in no mood for another war and persuaded the other five clubs to agree to appoint a new National Commission of non-baseball men. Federal District Court Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis was appointed as chairman. However, Landis would only accept an appointment as sole Commissioner of Baseball, with unlimited power over the game. The owners were still reeling from the damage to baseball's reputation due to the Black Sox Scandal, and readily agreed to Landis' demands. Landis was officially appointed on November 12, 1920.

                      Under the circumstances, a clash between Johnson and Landis was inevitable, and it happened prior to the 1924 World Series. Landis banned two New York Giants from the Series for attempting to bribe members of the Philadelphia Phillies late in the season. After Frankie Frisch and two other Giants stars were implicated, only to be cleared by Landis, Johnson demanded that the Series be canceled. He publicly criticized Landis for his handling of the affair, and Landis threatened to resign if the AL owners didn't rein Johnson in. After the Series, the AL owners promised to remove Johnson from office if he stepped out of line again. Johnson remained on good behavior for two years, even getting an extension of his contract to 1935 and a raise to $40,000 (he'd previously made $25,000).

                      However, in 1926, Johnson criticized Landis for granting Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker an amnesty after evidence surfaced that they had bet on a game in 1919. Landis demanded that the AL choose between him and Johnson. The AL owners were prepared to remove Johnson from office at their annual meeting in January 1927. However, Johnson was in ill health at the time, and the owners decided to put him on an indefinite sabbatical instead. Johnson tried to return in the spring and acted as if nothing had changed. However, the situation had become untenable, and Johnson was forced to resign at the end of the season.

                      Johnson died at age 67 in St. Louis, Missouri. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1937 as one of its charter members. The athletic field house at Marietta College is named in his honor.

                      --------------------------------------------------------------Garry Herrmann/Ban Johnson: 1914 World Series, Fenway Park, Boston.

                      January 25, 1915: Governor Tener, Pres. of the NL;
                      Garry Herrman, Pres. of National Commission;Ban Johnson, Pres. of the AL------------------------------------------------------September 23, 1920

                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM.


                      • Charles Webb Murphy---Few remember he started as a Cincinnati sports writer.

                        Born: January 22, 1868, Wilmington, OH
                        Died: October 16, 1931, Chicago, IL, age 63---d. at his home, had been ill since June, when he suffered a stroke of apolexy.

                        Cincinnati sports writer;
                        Cincinnati Enquirer, sports writer, made sports editor by at least 1900, ? - 1904
                        Cincinnati Times-Star, assistant city editor, 1904
                        John Brush's secretary of New York Giants, 1905
                        Chicago Cubs' owner, 1906 - 1913
                        Voted out of NL for accusing umpires of corruption, February 21, 1914.

                        The Baseball Biography Project at SABR
                        (Below is an excerpt from the Baseball Biography Project at SABR, authored by Lenny Jacobsen.)

                        Moving to Cincinnati to study pharmacology, Murphy graduated from pharmacy school and worked for a while at Keenan's drugstore. Before long, however, he quit to become a writer for the Cincinnati Enquirer, a newspaper owned by Charles Phelps Taft, the older half-brother and advisor of future president William Howard Taft. Murphy eventually became sporting editor, and in that position he became friendly with John T. Brush, owner of the Cincinnati Reds.

                        The young baseball writer left the Enquirer to become assistant city editor at the Cincinnati Times-Star, but he wasn't there long before Brush hired him in 1905 as press agent for the New York Giants, the first press agent a baseball club ever employed.

                        Charles Phelps Taft, who owned the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper, loaned Charles Webb Murphy the money to buy the Chicago Cubs, and he was also the real owner of the Philadelphia Phillies. Taft was a heavy stock-holder of the Cubs, while he also owned the Phillies. Obvious conflict of interest. After the 1906 season, the Cubs made such a profit, that it allowed Murphy to repay his loan to Taft.

                        --------------------------------------------------------Two shotos, Chicago, 1907.

                        --------------------------------------------------------Both shots, Chicago, 1907.-------------------------------------------------------------------1920

                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-26-2011, 02:13 PM.


                        • Henry Clay Pulliam---AKA Harry Pulliam Few remember that Harry began as a sports writer.

                          Born: February 9, 1865, Kentucky
                          Died: July 29, 1909, NYC, age 44

                          Baseball Executive; NL President: 1903-1909
                          Previous Occupation: Sports Writer

                          Wikipedia---Harry Pulliam thread---New York Times' obituary

                          Profile: Harry C. Pulliam was born in Kentucky on February 9, 1865. After leaving college he studied law, but never opened a practice choosing instead to do newspaper work, where he was an authority on baseball. He also worked with the National League's Louisville Club until 1899, when it was contracted.

                          Pulliam was not out of work long Louisville's owner Barney Dreyfuss bought the Pittsburgh Pirates, and took many of Louisville's best players with him. In addition he took many people he worked with in toe front office including Pulliam. Other NL owners were impressed with Pulliam's intimate knowledge of the league and its players, and in 1903 he was voted League President.

                          In addition to being President, Harry Pulliam also filled the roles of the league's Secretary and treasurer. However after a few years the stress of 3 jobs began to wear on Pulliam and John Heydler was hired to fill the roles of treasurer and secretary to for Pulliam to work on league affairs in 1907. However, Heydler continued to struggle with health and emotional problems often taking off on trips for weeks without contacting anyone. This worried NL owners to the ability of his service. Other NL owners did not like the fact that Pulliam seemed to let AL President Ban Johnson have all the power on the 3-man National Commission on Baseball. The sensitive Pulliam did not take well to criticism and drew deeper into depression.

                          On July 28, 1909 the unthinkable happened. After a long day Pulliam returned to his room at the New York Athletic Club, and took his own life with gunshot wound to the head. He was only 44. On August 2nd all NL and AL games are postponed, for the first time in history as a tribute.

                          1905 Chicago, IL: L-R: Harry Pulliam (NL President), Garry Herrmann (Reds' owner),
                          John E. Bruce (Secretary of the Commission and attorney for St. Louis Browns), Ban Johnson (AL President)

                          January, 1909: L-R: Harry Pulliam (NL President), August Garry Herrmann (Reds' owner/President of the Commission),
                          Ban Johnson (AL President), John E. Bruce (Secretary of the Commission and attorney for St. Louis Browns)

                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-02-2013, 02:56 PM.


                          • John Arnold Heydler Few remember that he wrote sports too.

                            Born: July 10, 1869, Lafargeville, New York
                            Died: April 18, 1956, San Diego, CA, age 86

                            Baseball Executive; NL President, 1909, 1918 - 1934
                            St. Louis/Washington sports writer;
                            St. Louis Chronicle/Washington Post

                            From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia of the INTERNET
                            John Arnold Heydler (July 10, 1869 - April 18, 1956) was an American executive in Major League Baseball.

                            Born in Lafargeville, New York, he began working as a printer, eventually being employed at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

                            He is reported to have recited Casey at the Bat to President Grover Cleveland, while presenting a drafted document for approval. Heydler later began working as an umpire in the National League from 1895 to 1897, and then became a sportswriter.

                            In 1903 he was hired as the private secretary to NL president Harry Pulliam, principally working to compile league statistics. Heydler's work caused him to record much of the league's early history, and he became an advocate of introducing new ways to measure player accomplishments; he was a strong supporter of recording runs batted in for batters, and began computing earned run averages for pitchers.

                            On becoming the NL's secretary-treasurer from 1907-1918, he served as the league president briefly after Pulliam's suicide in 1909. He became NL president again from 1918 to 1934, and pushed for the selection of Kenesaw Mountain Landis as the first Commissioner of Baseball in 1920, realizing the importance of an official who could keep the owners in check.

                            Among Heydler's other accomplishments were helping to establish the Baseball Hall of Fame, and his 1929 proposal of a rule which would allow a tenth player to bat in place of the pitcher – a rule which came about with the creation of the designated hitter in 1973.

                            After retiring as league president, he served as NL chairman until his death in San Diego, California in 1956, aged 86.

                            Source: Who's Who in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold 'Speed' Johnson, 1933, pp. 28-29.

                            -----------John A. Heydler, before he became NL Pres. in 1909.
                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-28-2010, 04:22 PM.


                            • Ernest Sargent Barnard He also wrote sports.

                              Born: July 17, 1874, West Columbia, WV
                              Died: March 27, 1931, Rochester, MN

                              Columbus sports editor:
                              Columbus Dispatch, sports editor, 1900

                              Ernest's wikipedia page
                              Ernest Sargent Barnard (July 17, 1874 - March 27, 1931) was the President of the American League from 1927 until his death. Born in West Columbia, West Virginia, he later resided in Delaware, Ohio. He graduated from Otterbein College in 1895, and became football and baseball coach there until 1898. Moving to Columbus, Ohio, he became secretary of the local Builders Exchange, and coached football at Ohio Medical University. In 1900 he became sports editor for The Columbus Dispatch.

                              Hired by the Cleveland Indians in 1903, he served that club as traveling secretary (1903-08), vice president and general manager (1908-16, 1918-22), and president (1922-27), often acting as a mediator between AL president Ban Johnson and Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis. He served under the Indians first owner, Charles Somers, and under their second, Jim Dunn. Dunn had initially fired Barnard upon taking over in 1917. Realizing he'd made a mistake, Dunn brought Barnard back to the team in 1918. Barnard stayed on as president after Dunn's death in 1922, running the team for Dunn's widow and estate. When AL owners in 1927 removed Johnson, the league's founder, from the league presidency, Barnard, after first clearing the way by arranging the sale of the Indians to a group headed by Alva Bradley, replaced him. He was re-elected to a 3-year term on December 9, 1930, but died suddenly 3 months later just prior to an examination at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota; coincidentally, Johnson died just hours later.

                              Source: Who's Who in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold 'Speed' Johnson, 1933, pp. 18-19.
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM.


                              • William Louis Veeck, Sr.---AKA Bill Veeck Bill started out as a sports writer. (Name rhymes with wreck.)

                                President: Chicago Cubs, 1918 - 1933

                                Born: January 20, 1878, Boonvelle, IN
                                Died: October 5, 1933, Chicago, IL, age 55;---d. influenza/leukemia

                                Louisville sports writer, Chicago President (1918-33)
                                Louisville Courier-Journal, sports writer
                                Chicago American, sports writer, 1917

                                William Veeck, Sr. was a sports writer and baseball executive. He was president of Chicago Cubs from 1919 to his death in October, 1933. Under Veeck's leadership, the Cubs won three pennants, in 1918, 1929, and 1932.

                                Veeck was a sportswriter for the Chicago's American in 1917 when Cubs owner William Wrigley Jr. hired him to be vice-president of the baseball club. Having won the National League pennant in 1918, Wrigley promoted him to president of the club in July, 1919. Veeck was also the father of Bill Veeck, who is best known for his time at the reins of the Chicago White Sox and Cleveland Indians, and for sending the midget Eddie Gaedel to bat while owning the St. Louis Browns.

                                Veeck resided in the Chicago suburb of Hinsdale, Illinois

                                Bill's bio/photo (below) as they appeared in 1933's Who's Who
                                in Major League Baseball, edited by Harold (Speed) Johnson -------L-R: Tom Shibe, Judge Landis, William L. Veeck, September 10, 1929

                                Saturday, February 25, 1933 Catalina Island, CA: William Veeck, Chicago Cubs president,
                                talks things over with Cubs Manager Jolly Cholly Grimm as spring training begins.
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-07-2011, 03:01 PM.


                                Ad Widget