Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander M. Gillam

Born: June 25, 1858, Troy, PA
    Died: January 3, 1917, Philadelphia, PA, age 55,---d. at home in Germantown of pneumonia, after 4 days.

(The world was having a terrible epidemic. The 1918 flu pandemic, commonly referred to as the Spanish flu, was an influenza pandemic that spread to nearly every part of the world. It was caused by an unusually virulent and deadly influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1. The pandemic lasted from March 1918 to June 1920.)

Boston / Philadelphia sports writer;
    Canton, PA, 3-year old, (June 13, 1860 census)
    Landis, NJ, 13-year old, (June 20, 1870 census)(listed Alex M.)
    Philadelphia, PA, Philadelphia Record, editor (June 5, 1900 census)
    Boston Post, 1880; sports writer, 1882
    Arrived in Philadelphia from Boston around 1883
    Philadelphia Record, assistant sports editor / sports editor, 1883 - 1910

Father: M. Gillam, born New York, 1821?; Mother: Sarah M., born Pennsylvania, October, 1830?;

Sporting Life obituary, January 13, 1917, pp. 3.

Philadelphia Inquirer obituary, January 4, 1917.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Appeared in 1889 book------------------------------------------Chicago Daily Tribune obituary, January 4, 1917, pp. 9.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Edward French Stevens

Born: 1850?, Manchester, NH
      Died: March 4, 1898, Boston, MA, age 48

Boston sports writer;
      Nashua, NH, 20-year old, (July 14, 1870 census)
      Boston, MA, newspaper reporter, (June 9, 1880 census)

Boston Times, 1873?
      Boston Herald, March 10, 1872 - 1898

Father: Albert F. Stevens, born Worchester, Massachusetts, 1832?; Wife Emma F. Wellcok, born Boston, MA; Edward and Emma married December 2, 1875 in Boston, MA; Daughter: Edna; Daughter: Edith; Daughter: Marion;

Sporting Life obituary, March 12, 1898, pp. 11.

--------------------Appeared in 1889 book----------------------------------Boston Daily Globe obituary, March 4, 1898, pp. 5.
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• James Edward Sullivan

Born: November 18, 1860, New York, NY
        Died: September 16, 1914, New York, NY, age 53,---d. bowel trouble, underwent an operation at Mt. Sinai Hospital (NYC).

Secretary and treasurer of the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU);

wikipedia page---From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        James Edward Sullivan (November 18, 1860 in New York City – September 16, 1914) was an American sports official. He was one of the founders of the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) in 1888, serving as its secretary from 1889 until 1906 when he was elected as president from 1906 to 1909. He declined a fourth term and was re-elected to his former position as secretary-treasurer until his sudden death which followed an emergency operation.

His business career began in 1878 in a publishers. In 1880 he started a paper, The Athletics News. His career continued in sports publishing, and sporting goods businesses.

His athletics on the track had started in 1877 as a member of the Pastime Athletic Club. In 1888 and 1889 he won the all round championship of the club.

He also was one of the most influential people in the early Olympic movement, although his relationship with IOC president Pierre de Coubertin was tense. Sullivan was also an organizer of the Outdoor Recreation League and served as its second president.

During the 1908 London Olympic Games, Sullivan as Secretary of the American Olympic Committee, lodged a stream of protests averaging almost one per day over two weeks. It seems that Sullivan may have been trying to consolidate his position in the sporting hierarchy at home, and he felt that he must be seen to be fighting for the rights of the American team. His complaints went down well in the sensationalist press but in the more respected and responsible journals there was a quite different view of Sullivan’s behaviour. On his return to the U.S. Sullivan said, "The victory of the American team at the Olympic Games was undoubtedly the greatest in the history of Amateur sport in the world, when it is taken into consideration the handicaps the members were subjected to. I do not wish to criticise British sportsmen generally, for there are many fair minded people among them but I want to make it as strong as possible that the attitude of Messrs: Davidson, Andrews, Fischer, and Dr Bulger, the English Officials of the games, was not only outrageous to Americans, but contrary to their own rules, and if these men continue to dictate affairs, England will become athletically degenerate."

Sullivan also served as the chairman of the Greater New York Irish Athletic Association in 1903 and on the New York City Board of Education from 1908-1912.

In 1930, the AAU established the James E. Sullivan Award in his honour. It is awarded annually to the best amateur athlete in the US.

In 1977, he was inducted into the National Track & Field Hall of Fame.
        -----------------------------------------
        Sporting Life obituary, September 26, 1914, pp. 5.

--------------------------------------------------Los Angeles Times' obituary, September 17, 1914, pp. 112.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1905 Base Ball Guide

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• Edgar Simpson Sheridan

Born: March 15, 1862, Camden (Rossville), IN
          Died: February 23, 1934, Chicago, IL, age 70,---d. of a heart attack, which followed indigestion, while at his hotel, on a 3-day holiday at Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Chicago sports writer;
          Greencastle, IN, 19-year old, at school, (June 4, 1880 census)
          Chicago, IL, reporter, (June 6, 1900 census)
          Denver, CO, editorial newspaper, Associated Press, (April 19, 1910 census)
          Chicago, IL, newspaper, (January 7, 1920 census)
          Chicago, IL, copy editor, journalism, (1930 census)
          Cincinnati Commercial Gazette, composier, 1880
          His father had been a circuit riding Methodist minister
          Graduated De Pauw University (Greencastle, IN), 1885 (Was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.)
          St. Louis Republican, 1885 - 1889
          Indianapolis Journal, 1889
          Indianapolis Sentinel, March, 1889
          Chicago Record,
          Chicago Tribune, sports editor, 1890 - 1908
          Associated Press bureau in Denver, CO, newspaper editor, 1909-10
          He headed up the School of Journalism at the University of Washington in Seattle, 1911-13
          Chicago Sunday Herald, 1914
          Chicago Tribune, copy editor, 1915 - 1930; later worked at the telegraph desk
          Was a member of the St. Cecelia Masonic Lodge.
          He loved horse racing and enjoyed making small wagers.

Father: Andrew Jackson Sheridan, born Ohio; Mother: Mary Anne Merrill, born Ohio, 1829?;

------------------Appeared in 1889 book--------------------------------------------------------Chicago Daily Tribune obituary, February 23, 1934, pp. 27.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Joseph P. Campbell---AKA Joe Campbell

Born: August, 1866, Boston, MA
            Died: October 2, 1900, Hot Springs, Arkansas, age 34,---d.---in his room at the Pullman Hotel, of cirrhosis of the liver. Arrived in Hot Springs in May 1, 1900 for dropsy. Buried: Catholic Greenwood Cemetery, Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Washington sports writer;
            Boston, MA, reporter, (June 5, 1900 census)
            New York Evening World
            St. Louis Post-Dispatch
            St. Louis Chronicle
            Kansas City
            Washington Post, sports editor, (Arrived in Washington, 1895)
            Boston reporter, (June 5, 1900 census)

Father: born Massachusetts; Mother: born Massachusetts

Had worked on papers in St. Louis and Kansas City.

Chicago Daily Tribune obituary, October 7, 1900, pp. 19.--------------------Sporting Life obituary, October 20, 1900, pp. 3.

Washington Post obituary, October 3, 1900, pp. 8.----------------------------------------------------------Washington Post obituary, November 4, 1900, pp. 28.

Originally posted by Beady
            Are you sure Campbell only joined the Post in 1897, Bill? I have no specific reason to doubt that, it's just that I've read a good deal of the Post's coverage in the 1890's, and I thought Campbell had started there sooner. He was a good writer, with a very distinctive colloquial style, at least I thought he was, but it may I've misidentified another writer's style as Campbell's.

One thing is certain, Campbell was in the habit of inventing quotations and foisting them on people who never said them. I've seen quotes that were obviously fabricated, in part because they were uttered in Campbell's peculiar style, in part because the individuals were supposedly uttering opinions about things they are not likely to have known anything about. After Campbell's death, a Cincinnati sportswriter said that he used to tell other writers it was a waste of effort to take the trouble to look a man up in order to interview him, because you could always write whatever you wanted and then have them say it.
            Interesting stuff as always, Bill. I notice the Post itself (but in a story sent from Hot Springs) says he came to Washington in 1897, while John Heydler in Sporting Life says 1895, which is closer to what my impression was. But since these stories hardly ever had bylines, and then they were sometimes pseudonyms, it's difficult to tell.
            Here, culled from my notes, is a sample of what I presume is Joe Campbell's prose, from the Post of November 7,1897, describing Ned Hanlon's shrewdness in making trades: "Suspicions of gold bricking have been sharpened by the notorious case of Hanlon, who was charged with palming Brodie off on the Pittsburgh club as a gold brick. In this deal Hanlon received two tens for one five by scooping in Stengel for a fielder who was skating on the edge of the sere and yellow.”

And here's the Louisville club official and future NL president Harry Pulliam, quoted in the Post, June 18, 1896: “Next year I will go to school with Ed Hanlon. I will bring with me a fur overcoat, and a pair of ear muffs, so that I can discover some of those chilly propositions that Ed works up during the winter and spring on us agriculturists during the spring and following summer. I will admit that Ed can make me look like an agriculturist. He is the slickest member that ever made a deuce look like an ace. When I have completed my education under Hanlon I will have my thirty-third degree, and Louisville as well as Baltimore will be a recruiting station for baseball gold bricks.” ["agriculturalist" refers to the purported lack of sophistication of farmers]

Here again is the Post quoting Pulliam in 1899, after Louisville had turned down Hanlon's offer to trade a sore-armed Hugh Jennings for Honus Wagner: "Hanlon offered to do business with us if we would separate from Honus Wagner. But Hanlon cut a face full of eye teeth for me when I gave up coin for George [Hemming] three years ago. Hanlon is looking out for Hanlon and number one, and I will sidestep any effort of his to wheedle [sic] me into making a deal. He has a Svengali gift of making people believe that he is always laying awake overtime thinking up schemes to do Hanlon. He talked as if it would be a special favor for me if I gave him Honus Wagner for Hughey Jennings."

Notice the use of "Svengali", which also appears as a Campbellism in the Chicago Tribune's obit. It's more than possible that Harry Pulliam did express these sentiments concerning Hanlon, but the manner of expression in all three seems too consistent for the style to be anything but pure Campbell.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• William H. Voltz

Born: December 2, 1858, Cleveland, OH
              Died: September 18, 1934, New York, NY, age 76,---d. at home of acute indigestion.

Philadelphia sports writer;
              Cleveland, OH, 1-year old, (July 16, 1860 census)
              Cleveland, OH, 12-year old, (June 14, 1870 census)
              Cleveland, OH, reporter for newspaper, (June 11, 1880 census)
              Philadelphia, PA, journalist, (June 2, 1900 census)
              Philadelphia, PA, newspaper advertising manager, (April 20, 1910 census)
              Philadelphia, PA, newspaper editor, (January 20, 1920 census)
              Philadelphia, PA, newspaper journalist, (April 9, 1930 census)
              Cleveland Voice, sports editor, 1875 - 1877
              Cleveland Leader, sports editor, 1880 - fall, 1882
              Philadelphia Press, baseball editor, spring, 1886 - ?
              Philadelphia Daily Gazette, sports writer, 1910
              also Pennsylvania state representative

Father: William, born Ohio, 1838?; Mother: Mary (Mimie), born Frankfurt-on-the-Main, Prussia (Germany), February 21, 1841; Wife: Anna A., born Ohio, March, 1859; Daughter: Mamie E., born Ohio, September, 1880; Son: Willmer H., born Ohio, February, 1883.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Appeared in 1889 book------------------New York Times' obituary, September 19, 1934, pp. 20.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• James C. Kennedy---AKA 'Big Jim' Kennedy

Born: April, 1864, Manhattan, NY
                Died: April 20, 1904, Brighton Beach, NY, age 40?,---d. on the elevated subway L train headed to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn. He toppled over in his seat at Grand Ave. station.

New York sports writer / sports promoter;
                Brooklyn, NY, works at Printing, 18-year old, (June 16, 1880 census)
                Brooklyn, NY, sporting editor, newspaper, (June 12, 1900 census)
                New York Times, baseball writer, summer, 1882 - 1892
                Managed the Brooklyn club in the American Association, 1890
                Promoted boxing matches and 6-day bicycle races.
                Brooklyn newspaper sporting editor, (June 12, 1900 census)
                Started New York Sporting Times (with John B. Day, James Mutrie, P. J. Donahue), Fall, 1887

Father: born Ireland; Mother born New York; Wife: Hattie
                6'9, 220 lbs.

Sporting Life obituary, April 30, 1904, pp. 12.

New York Times' obituary, April 21, 1904, pp. 3.--------Boston Daily Globe, April 21, 1904, pp. 3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Appeared in 1889 book
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• George Henry Dickinson

Born: June 24, 1860, Baltimore, MD
                  Died: April 27, 1936, NYC, age 78,---d. in Harlem Hospital (NYC).

New York sports writer;

(1860 census)
                  (1870 census)
                  (1880 census)
                  (1900 census)
                  (1910 census)
                  (1920 census)
                  New York, NY, engineering dept., transportation, (April 19, 1930 census)

Attended public schools in Baltimore and Charlestown, NH.
                  Attended Dartmouth College (Hanover, NH),
                  St. Albans Daily Advertiser (Vt.) correspondent, 1879
                  Boston Globe, editor, April, 1884 - October, 1886
                  telegraph operator, edited the Cottage City Star, 1879 - 1883
                  Baltimore telegraph operator
                  Boston Post, night editor,
                  Boston Herald, night editor,
                  New York Evening World, telegraph operator, 1887,
                  New York correspondent for Boston Globe, June, 1887
                  New York Morning World, sports editor, spring, 1889
                  New York Evening Telegram, managing editor, 1894
                  New York Journal, sports editor, 1896
                  New York Evening Telegram, 1896
                  New York Herald-Tribune, 1933

Father: born Vermont; Mother: born Maryland;

---------------------------------------------------------------------Chicago Daily Tribune obituary,------------New York Times' obituary-------------Hartford Courant, May 10, 1936, pp. C9.
                  ----------------Appeared in 1889 book---------------------------------April 30, 1936, pp. 12. --------------------April 30, 1936, pp. 19.
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Henry Clay Palmer---AKA Harry Palmer

Born: September 6, 1861, Covington, KY
                    Died: December 25, 1911, Douglaston Park, NY, age 49

Chicago sports writer;
                    Vanceburg, KY, 8-year old, (July 18, 1870 census)
                    Covington, KY, 19-year old,(June 10, 1880 census)
                    New York, NY, advertising manager, magazine, (April 18, 1910 census)
                    Chicago Times, sports editor
                    Chicago Tribune, sports editor, 1884 - 1886
                    Chicago Evening Journal, 1886 - October, 1888
                    advertising manager

Father: Oliver Palmer, born Covington, KY, 1818, died Avondale, OH, September 22, 1875; Mother: Hallie E. Myers, born New York, 1842?; Wife: Lilly E., born Kentucky, 1880?; Daughter: Lilly E., born New York, 1894?; Son: Ballard, born Illinois, 1891?;

Sporting Life health update, July 8, 1911, pp. 4.---Sporting Life obituary, January 6, 1912, pp. 3.

------------------------------------------------------------------Sporting Life obituary, January 13, 1912, pp. 15.
                    -----------------------Appeared in 1889 book.
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Frederick J. Byrod, Jr.---AKA Fred Byrod

Born: January 15, 1911, Sunbury, PA
                      Died: February 6, 2005, Wayne, PA, age 94,

Sunbury Ward 1, PA, 8-year old, (January 12, 1920 census)
                      Sunbury, PA, 19-year old, (April 2, 1930 census)
                      Philadelphia, PA, sports writer, newspaper, (1940 census)(listed Fred)
                      Graduated Temple University (Philadelphia, PA), 1933
                      WWII, (3 years in Pacific sector under General McArthur, reaching rank of captain.)
                      Philadelphia Inquirer, 1929 - 1958, sports writer, 1946 - 1958, sports editor, 1958 - 1976.

Father: Frederick J., Sr., born Pennsylvania, 1878?; Mother: Edna M., born Pennsylvania, 1885?;

Class of 1993: Philadelphia Section PGA Hall of Fame.
                      Fred Byrod was born in Sunbury, Pennsylvania in 1911 where his father and uncle owned the local newspaper. By the time he was in high school he was writing articles on sports for the newspaper, which brought him to Temple University and the study of journalism. He graduated from Temple in 1933 but he had already been working for The Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper since 1929.

When the United States became involved in World War II Byrod interrupted his career to enlist in the Army and was commissioned in 1942. He served for three years in the South Pacific as an infantry officer on Iwo Jima and New Caldonia.

When the war ended he returned to the Inquirer. He was promoted to sports editor in 1958 and held that position until his retirement in 1976. In the 1940s he became involved in promoting Philadelphia golf when the Inquirer sponsored the PGA Tour’s Inquirer Invitation Golf Tournament, which was held at the Torresdale-Frankford CC, Llanerch CC, Cedarbrook CC and the Whitemarsh Valley CC, for a total of five years.

Byrod began his promotion of the tournament each year by attending the Masters Tournament in April. The tournament was managed by The Philadelphia Inquirer Charities, Inc. and the Philadelphia Section PGA. When Byrod was at the Masters interviewing the leading players the Inquirer tournament would get mentioned. Right after the Masters he would begin writing articles in the newspaper to inform the local golf fans about the big name golfers that were coming to Philadelphia for the tournament. The year that the tournament was at Cedarbrook, Byrod used his persuasive powers and a bottle of red wine to sign up Bobby Locke for the tournament, which he went on to win. Byrod covered 29 Masters Tournaments, 28 U.S. Opens and twelve PGA Championships for the Inquirer.

Over the years he became known and respected by the players. In Byrod’s later years at the Masters he would be summoned to Bobby Jones’s cabin for a private interview. When Ben Hogan won the U.S. Open at Merion GC in 1950 it was just 16-months after his near-fatal automobile accident.

Having played 90 holes in four days Hogan informed the press that he was too exhausted for interviews. After some prodding he relented and said that he would speak only to Fred Byrod. Byrod had experience doing private interviews with big name golfers. In 1939 the U.S. Open was being held at the Philadelphia Country Club and Byron Nelson was the professional at the Reading CC.

The Inquirer had Byrod hire Nelson to do a story on the U.S. Open each day of the tournament. After each round Byrod would interview Nelson for the article, which Byrod would write. The Inquirer would print it under Nelson’s name, with no mention of Byrod.

During World War II he served three years in the South Pacific rising to rank of captain in the army. After retiring from the Inquirer in 1976 the newspaper still featured a golf column by him each week. He didn’t play golf until after he had begun writing about it. Byrod said that from the beginning Ed Dudley and Marty Lyons took an interest in him, explaining tournament golf and introducing him to the better players. With the help of George Fazio and Bud Lewis he learned to play well enough to break 80 on occasion and he won the Philadelphia Newspapermen’s golf championship twice.

Byrod was president of the Philadelphia Sportswriters and the Golf Writers Association of America. He became a walking encyclopedia on golf in Philadelphia. He was known for never missing a thing in his interviews and the accuracy of his articles. When a new magazine called Philadelphia Golf Magazine started up in 1986 he was Executive Editor, which featured more than one article by him each month. He was a tireless promoter of golf in Philadelphia and the Philadelphia PGA. Byrod was inducted into the Philadelphia Section PGA Hall of Fame in 1993.

Philadelphia Inquirer obituary, February 9, 2005.----------------------------------------January 28, 1952: Broadwood Hotel, Philadelphia, PA: Fred Byrod / Skip Alexander.
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Michael J. Kelly

Born: 1840?, New York, NY (Day Street in the 1st. Ward)
                        Died: June 27, 1873, New York City, NY, age 31,---d. at home (15th St. in NYC) of congestion of the kidneys, complicated by pneumonia.
                        Buried: Calvary Cemetery, Woodside (Queens), NY, (Plot: Section 8, Range 51, Plot E, Grave 4.)

New York sports writer / sports editor, 1865-1872
                        New York, NY, 17-year old, (July 24, 1860 census)
                        New York, NY, Printer, (December 21, 1870 census)
                        Attended City College, NY
                        Studied to be a priest at St. Charles College, a Catholic college, starting January 22, 1861. St. Charles College is the minor seminary, while St. Sulpice is the major seminary of St. Mary's in Baltimore, MD. Didn't graduate.
                        Attended Seton Hall, NJ, September 23, 1861 - February, 1862, didn't graduate. Was listed as a New York Herald reporter by Seton Hall.
                        Studied medicine for 2 years
                        New York Daily News reporter, 1865
                        New York Commercial Advertiser
                        New York Herald; Baseball reporter for 10 years, dramatic critic, city editor. Started working for them by at least, September 23, 1861.
                        Albany correspondent.
                        In 1872, accepted the office of Clerk of the Board of Assistant Aldermen for a short time.
                        Editor of DeWitt Baseball Guide, 1868. One of 1st to make use of box scores, & is credited with introducing the shorthand system of scoring in 1861
                        editor-in-chief of Atlantic Monthly
                        Michael was a Roman Catholic.

Father: Thomas, born Ireland, 1813?;

Michael J. Kelly‚ baseball reporter for the New York Herald and editor of the DeWitt baseball guide in 1868‚ is largely credited with developing the official baseball scorecard in 1861 and boxscore.

After he died, a benefit game between the Atlantics/Mutuals was played on July 19, 1873, at the Union Grounds, for the benefit of his family. The game netted $1,000. for his widow and 2 children. The Atlantics won 9-6. A large crowd attended, and might have been twice the size if not for the possibility of rain.

Sporting News, January 30, 1952, pp. 16, column 2.----New York Times, July 1, 1873, pp. 8.-----------------New York Herald Obituary, June 29, 1873, pp. 7.

New York Times' Obituary, June 28, 1873, pp. 7.
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-24-2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Lewis B. Meacham

Born: March 8, 1846, New Haven, VT
                          Died: October 2, 1878, Chicago, IL, age 32,---d. on a Wednesday of heart disease, biliary colic.
                          Buried: West Cemetery, Middlebury (Addison County), Vt.

Chicago sports editor:
                          Middlebury, VT, 4-year old, (August 30, 1850 census)
                          Addison, Middlebury, VT, 14-year old, (1860 census)
                          (1870 census)
                          Graduated Amherst College (Amherst, MA), 1869 (Delta Kappa Epsilon)
                          Son of Honorable James Meacham, 6 term Congressman from Vermont, 1849-1856.
                          Private in the Volunteer Vermont Regiment and 1st Lieutenant of the New York Highlanders, 1862-65.
                          Served in Civil War, 1862-65. Captured, served time in Southern prisoner-of-war camp.
                          Moved to Chicago in 1866 at age of 20.
                          Chicago Tribune reporter in 1860's.
                          Chicago Tribune sports editor, 1866 - 1870's
                          Helped popularized baseball in Chicago. Used box scores.
                          Along with William Hulbert, he formulated the plan to organize the National League. Was present at famous fire in 1871 on roof.
                          One of 1st to use box scores.
                          Delta Kappa Epsilon. Prepared Phillips Academy, Andover; A. C., 1867. Tutor Christian College, Indiana, 1868;
                          Reporter and proof reader Times and Tribune, Chicago, Illinois, 1869-71;
                          Private secretary to Chicago Mayor Medill, December 6, 1871-1872;
                          editor at the Rutland Herald, 1874;
                          reporter and associated editor at the Chicago Rutland Herald, 1874;
                          reporter and associated editor at the Chicago Tribune, 1875-78. From the summer of 1875 to his death, he was the Chicago Tribune's baseball reporter, gaining national recognition for the excellence of his work.
                          Was the Chicago baseball correspondent for the Boston Herald.

Son of Reverend James---Data for his father:
                          James Meacham, a Representative from Vermont; born in Rutland, Rutland County, Vt., August 16, 1810; was graduated from Middlebury (Vt.) College in 1832; taught in the seminary at Castleton, Vt., and in the local academy at St. Albans, Vt.; attended Andover (Vt.) Theological Seminary, where he studied for the ministry and was ordained as a Congregational minister in 1838, assuming his duties as pastor in New Haven, Vt., and served from 1839 to 1846; tutor and professor at Middlebury College 1846-1850; elected as a Whig to the Thirty-first Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of George P. Marsh; reelected as a Whig to the Thirty-second and Thirty-third Congresses, and elected as an Opposition Party candidate to the Thirty-fourth Congress and served from December 3, 1849, until his death in Rutland, Vt., August 23, 1856 in Middlebury, Addison, VT; chairman, Committee on District of Columbia (Thirty-fourth Congress); interment in West Cemetery, Middlebury, Vt.
                          His first wife was Caroline Bottum. She was born 1820, and died 02 Jun 1843 in New Haven, Addison, VT. James married Carolin May 17, 1842 in Middlebury, Addison, VT.

Mother: Mary Frances Gifford Meacham, born December 16, 1821, New Haven, Addison, VT, died December 30, 1884, Middlebury, Addison, VT. She married James Meacham on February 20, 1845 in New Haven, Addison, VT. Her parents were Ira Gifford and Lucia Fuller.

In memoriam: Lewis Meacham born at New Haven, VT about 1846 died at Chicago Oct 2, 1878. He was a founder of the Sons of Vermont, calling upon the natives of VT residing in Chicago, to assemble at the Sherman House in January 1877 to consider the formation of a society of native Vermonters residing in the West. He was the son of James Meacham of New Haven and Middlebury, VT, a Congregational minister, Professor at Middlebury College and the Representative in Congress from that district from 1849 to 1856. He went to school at Amherst, Mass and at Middlebury, VT. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted as a private in a VT regiment. A year later he re enlisted in the New York Highlanders, rising to rank of 1st Lt. After being mustered out, he acted as tutor in Christian College, Sullivan County, Indiana. He came to Chicago and was proofreader for the "Chicago Times" and then for the "Tribune". In Dec 1871 he was appointed private secretary by the Mayor of Chicago. In 1872 he went to Burlington, VT and with his uncle, Mr. Gifford, started a brush factory. That proved unsuccessful and in 1873 he went to Colorado to go into the sheep raising business. In 1874 he went back to Vermont and became local editor of the "Rutland Herald". He returned to Chicago in the Spring of 1875 and worked again on the "Tribune".

Brooklyn Eagle, October 9, 1878, pp. 3.--------------------Sporting News, January 30, 1952, pp. 16, column 3.

------------------------------------------------------------------------Amherst College records

Chicago Tribune, Thursday, October 3, 1878

Chicago Daily Tribune, October 4, 1878, pp. 3.

Chicago Inter Ocean obituary, Thursday, October 03, 1878, pp. 8.------------Chicago Inter Ocean obituary, Saturday, October 05, 1878, pp. 8.---Passport application for April 16, 1867.

Chicago Inter Ocean obituary, Friday, October 04, 1878, pp. 8.

West Cemetery, Middlebury (Addison County), Vt

Lewis' passport application for April 16, 18
                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• David Litton Reid

Born: May 14, 1848, Nashville, TN
                            Died: May 2, 1885, St. Louis, MO, age 36---buried: Green-Wood Cemetery (Greenwood Heights), Brooklyn, NY

*His Date of Birth/middle name were confirmed by Christ Church, Episcopal Church in Nashville, TN, and correspond with his census/obituary information.

New York / Philadelphia / St. Louis---sports writer / sports editor;
                            Nashville, TN, 2-year old, (September 25, 1850 census)
                            (1860 census)
                            New York, NY, 22-year old clerk in store, (June 23, 1870 census)(listed D.L. Read)
                            St. Louis, MO, reporter, (June 1, 1880 census)(listed D.L. Read)
                            Raised/educated in NYC; Began in dry goods business.
                            Wrote baseball for New York Clipper, New York Herald, New York Times, Sunday Mercury. Began writing baseball around 1868.
                            Moved to Philadelphia by at least 1873, maybe slightly earlier.
                            Served as sports editor of the Philadelphia Sunday Dispatch, helping them establish their national baseball reputation.
                            Served as secretary of Philadelphia Athletics, 1872 - March 3, 1873?.
                            Moved St. Louis in 1875.
                            Secretary of St. Louis Browns from February, 1885 until his death May 2, 1885. Credited with developing present system of batting / fielding ave.
                            St. Louis Herald, (started their sporting department, January 6, 1878.
                            St. Louis Republican, ? - October 30, 1883
                            St. Louis Post-Dispatch, October 30, 1883 - ?
                            St. Louis Spectator
                            St. Louis Critic.
                            Was original scorer for St. Louis Browns. Brother: John L.
                            David was an Episcopalian.

Father: D., born Ireland, 1800?; Mother: Anna, born Ireland, 1816?;

David's family, according to the 1850 census.
                            Father: D. Reed, born Ireland, 1800?; Mother: Anna Reed, born Ireland, 1816?; Sister: Arabella S., born Tennessee, June 8, 1837; Brother: John L., born Tennessee, January 3, 1839; Brother: Alexander L., born Tennessee, February 27, 1841; Sister: Mary, born Tennessee, May 10, 1843; Sister: Ann Eliza, born Tennessee, October, 1845;
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Dave Reid Dead; Sudden demise of a Well-Known Sporting Editor.
                            David Lytton Reid, one of the best known sporting writers and base ball enthusiasts, died at the residence of his friend and chum, George Munson, 1321 Pine street, very unexpectedly last evening at 9:40. His death was very unexpected after a very brief illness.

Late Friday afternoon, while at Grand and Easton avenue, he was suddenly taken with a congestion chill, resulting in severe cramping of the stomach and the pain became violent after he arrived at Mr. Munson's room on Pine street. He laid down on the lounge for a while and his wants were administered to by Mrs. Brothers, who at his suggestion called in Dr. Rutledge and after a short while relief was afforded and he passed an easy night, relieving to a great extent the anxiety and fears which the symptoms first aroused.

In the morning he woke up early about 6 o'clock, and seemed greatly refreshed over his night's rest. He spoke cheerfully of his condition, and in response to inquiries stated that he was very greatly relieved. During the day, however, he became worse, and toward evening the hand of death became visible over his cold body. Surrounded by a large number of friends, he quietly passed away at 9:10 P. M., being conscious to the last.

His death will be a severe blow to his legion of friends throughout the country, his many excellent qualities of heart and mind endearing him to all with whom he came in contact. He was best known by his remarkable knowledge of national game affairs, his writings on base ball having been recognized everywhere as authoritative and thoroughly reliable. Dave Reid was a name familiar to all baseball men, managers, players, and all those associated with the national game, and his untimely death will be all the more mourned, because of the loss of one whose versatile talents and fine abilities as a writer and grand characteristics as a man made him a prominent figure in the everyday walks of life.

He was born in Nashville, Tenn., nearly thirty-seven years ago. His parents soon removed to New York city, where he was reared and received his education. He began life in the dry goods business, but his remarkable natural bent for newspaper work soon found cultivation in the large range of the metropolitan press. He wrote largely for the New York Clipper, Herald, Sunday Dispatch, New York Times, Sunday Mercury and other noted New York papers.

Early in the seventies he moved to Philadelphia and became one of the managing editors of the Philadelphia Sunday Dispatch, devoting the greater portion of his time and talents to the base ball department, which was recognized as the leading authority on the national game, and established for the paper a grand reputation.

He was secretary of the Athletic club of Philadelphia in its palmiest days - 1872-73. He came to St. Louis, about ten years ago. He was the official scorer of the original Brown Stockings club, and for several years did most of the base ball writing for the St. Louis Times. During the base ball season of 1883, and for some years afterwards he was sporting editor of the Republic and afterwards held the same position on the Post-Dispatch and at the time of his death was running the baseball department of that paper. He has also done a great deal of work for the Critic, Sunday Sayings and other weekly local papers. He was also for more than a year amusement editor of the Post-Dispatch. He was unmarried, but leaves a mother and two brothers in New York city. (The St. Louis Republican, May 3, 1885, pp. 15.)

Obsequies of David L. Reid
                            This afternoon at 2:30 the friends of the late David L. Reid will meet at Scott & Lynch's undertaking rooms, No. 1008 Olive street. The remains will be taken from there to St. John's Episcopal church at the corner of ? and Seventeenth streets, where, commencing at 3 o'clock, the regular funeral services of the Episcopal church will be held, Rev. Dr. Green officiating. From the church the remains will be taken to the Union depot, and thence to New York, where they will be interred in the family vault in Greenwood cemetery. Mr. George Munson will accompany the remains to New York and deliver them over to Mr. Reid's relatives.

A meeting of newspaper men was held last evening at the Banters' house.

The following were appointed a committee on memorial or resolutions, with the full power to act: Thos. J. Gallagher, Globe-Democrat; Theo. Rerla, Post-Dispatch; Wm. F. Saunders, Chronicle; Capt. O. W. Bellairs, REPUBLICAN; Carl Bangar, Amerika; John Schroars, Anzeiger des Westens; Gaston E. Serviere, Westhebe Post; Dr. Berdhold, Tribune.

Wm. A Hobbs, Clifford W. Sanders and Wm. J. Thornton were appointed a committee on floral emblem to be laid on the bier in the name of the newspaper men of the city.

The pall-bearers will be newspaper and base-ball men and perhaps also the dramatic profession will be represented, as Mr. Reid was a dramatic critic.

Congressman O'Neil has taken charge of the funeral arrangements at the request of Mr. Von der Ahe, president of the Sportsman's association.
                            (The St. Louis Republican, May 4, 1885, pp. 5.)

Sporting News, January 30, 1952, pp. 16, column 1.-------New York Times' death notice, May 6, 1885, pp. 5.

The St. Louis Republican, May 4, 1885, pp. 5.

St. Louis Globe-Democrat
                            Sunday, May 03, 1885, pp. 8.--------------The New York Clipper, December 2, 1882.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------David's gravestone: Green-Wood Cemetery (Greenwood Heights), Brooklyn, NY
                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-23-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• John Henry Gruber

Born: September 22, 1853, New Albany, IN (many census listed his place of birth as Kentucky)
                              Died: December 18, 1932, West View, PA, age 79,

Pittsburgh sports writer, Pirates' official scorekeeper;
                              Allegheny, PA, Setting Type, (June 2, 1880 census)(listed Jno H. Gruber)
                              Allegheny Ward 6, PA, Sporting Editor, (June 7, 1900 census)
                              Pittsburgh, PA, Sporting Editor, newspaper, (April 18, 1910 census)
                              West View, PA, Baseball Editor, daily paper, (January 10, 1920 census)
                              West View, PA, (May 1, 1930 census)
                              Arrived in Pittsburgh, 1875
                              Pittsburgh Times, compositor, 1880-1882, sports writer, 1882 - 1890
                              Pittsburgh Post, 1890 - 1905
                              Pittsburgh Gazette, sports editor, 1905 - 1912
                              Moreland News Bureau, 1911 - 1914
                              Pittsburgh Leader,
                              Pittsburgh Pirates' official scorer, 1893 - 1932.
                              Began sports department in early newspapers.

Wife: Mary C., born Pennsylvania, 1859?; Daughter: Agnes E., born Pennsylvania, 1881?; Son: John Henry, Jr., born Pennsylvania, 1884?; Daughter: Bertha G., born Pennsylvania, 1895?; Daughter: Ester K., born Pennsylvania, 1897?; Daughter: Mercedes I., born Pennsylvania, 1900?;

New York Times' obituary, December 20, 1932, pp. 19.
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-22-2014, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Alfred L. Hector Wright

Born: March 30, 1842, Cedar Grove, NJ
                                Died: April 20, 1905, New York, NY, age 63,---d. at home of locomotor ataxia.

Stow Creek, NJ, 5-year old, (August 30, 1850 census)
                                New York, NY, 16-year old, clerk, (July 27, 1860 census)
                                Philadelphia, PA, reporter for newspaper, (July 14, 1870 census)
                                New York, NY, reporter, (June 4, 1880 census)
                                Graduated Central HS (Philadelphia, PA)
                                Lived NYC, 1858 - 1868
                                Phladelphia, PA, 1868 - ?, and began writing for the Sunday Mercury.
                                Philadelphia Sunday Mercury reporter, 1868 - January 1, 1879.
                                Succeeded Henry Chadwick as New York Clipper writer, January 1, 1879 - March, 1894.
                                Was 1st to compile NL ave. & 1st Philadelphia A's scorer.
                                Toured England in 1874 with Philadelphia Athletics.
                                Managed the Philadelphia team in 1876.
                                It was he who first suggested awarding the championship by the greatest percentage of victories/games played, which was first adopted by the American Association, and later by the National League.

Father: Alfred E., born Pennsylvania, 1820?; Mother: Anne Morison Wright, born New York, 1823?;

Mr. Wright suffered from locomotor ataxia for over 30 years.

Sporting Life obituary, May 6, 1905, pp. 9.

Sporting News, January 30, 1952, pp. 16, column 1.

-----------------------appeared in 1889 book.
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-22-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X