Meet The Sports Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ----------
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-04-2009, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Terry M. Pluto

Born: June 12, 1955, Cleveland, OH
      Died: Still Alive

Cleveland sports writer;
      Graduated Cleveland State University, with degree
      Akron Beacon Journal, 1985-2007
      Cleveland Plain Dealer, Indians beat writer, September 2, 2007 - present

Terry's wikipedia page
      Terry Pluto is an award-winning sportswriter who primarily writes columns for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, and formerly for the Akron Beacon Journal about Cleveland sports and religion. He has twice been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize and has been named Ohio Sportswriter of the Year eight times. Pluto is also the author of over 20 books.

Pluto is a graduate of Benedictine High School in Cleveland, and received a degree from Cleveland State University.

On August 14, 2007, Pluto announced he was leaving the Beacon Journal to return to the Plain Dealer. He cited the larger circulation and ability to write for his hometown paper as reasons for leaving. Pluto began at the "PD" on September 2, 2007.

Authored:
      Our Tribe: A Baseball Memoir, 1999
      Burying the Curse: How the Indians Became the Best Team in Baseball, 1995
      Browns Town 1964: Cleveland Browns and the 1964 Championship
      Champions for Life: The Healing Power of a Father's Blessing
      Curse of Rocky Colavito: A Loving Look at a Thirty-Year Slump
      Dealing: The Cleveland Indians' New Ballgame: How a Small-Market Team Reinvented Itself as a Major League Contender
      Earl of Baltimore
      Everyday Faith
      Faith And You
      Falling from Grace: Can Pro Basketball Be Saved?
      False Start: How The New Browns Were Set Up To Fail
      Loose Balls: The Short, Wild Life of the American Basketball Association
      The View from Pluto: Collected Sportswriting About Northeast Ohio
      Weaver on Strategy: The Classic Work on the Art of Managing a Baseball Team
      A Baseball Winter: The Off-Season Life of the Summer Game
      Bull Session: An Up-Close Look at Michael Jordan and Courtside Stories About the Chicago Bulls
      Forty-Eight Minutes: A Night in the Life of the NBA
      Joe Tait, It's Been a Real Ball: Stories from a Hall-Of-Fame Sports Broadcasting Career
      Lebron James: The Making of an MVP
      Sixty-One: The Team, the Record, the Men
      Tall Tales: The Glory Years of the NBA, in the Words of the Men Who Played, Coached, and Built Pro Basketball
      The Franchise: Lebron James and the Remaking of the Cleveland Cavaliers
      The Greatest Summer: The Remarkable Story of Jim Bouton's Comeback to Major League Baseball
      Things I've Learned from Watching the Browns
      When All the World Was Browns Town: Cleveland's Browns and the Championship Season of '64
      Unguarded: My Forty Years Surviving in the NBA, by Lenny Wilkens & Terry Pluto
      Tark: College Basketball's Winningest Coach, by Jerry Tarkanian & Terry Pluto

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Peter Paul Finney, Jr.

Born: November 24, 1956, New Orleans, LA

New York Post, 1981 - 1990
        New York Daily News, 1990 - 1992

Wife: Doris 'Deedy' Young Finney, born March 14, 1931, died February 18, 2013; Peter married Deedy January 3, 1953.

Peter is executive editor and general manager of the Clarion Herald. He served on the CPA board of directors from 2001-2004 and as treasurer from 2002-2004. He has also served on various CPA committees including the Press Awards Committees.

Times Picayune (New Orleans, LA) sports writer;
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-18-2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• David E. Thigpen

Born: September 9, 1957
          Died: Still alive

Social commentator / music critic / sports writer;
          Graduated Brown University (Providence, RI), B. A.
          Columbia University (Manhattan, NY), M. S.
          Chicago Tribune
          Time magazine, (NYC-based), 1993 - 2000
          Chicago Urban League, 2006 - ?

David E. Thigpen was Vice President for Policy and Research at the Chicago Urban League and principal author of the League’s 2008 economic “Futures” study. He is a former staff correspondent for Time Magazine. From 1993 to 2000 he was a New York-based writer for Time magazine, covering popular music and the arts. He has also written widely on politics, sports and the worldwide significance of Cuban music. His work has also appeared in The New York Times and Rolling Stone magazine, and he is a frequent contributor to the Chicago Tribune Literary Review. Thigpen holds a B.A. from Brown University and an M.S. from Columbia University. He lives in Hyde Park with his wife, Veronica, and their daughter, August.

David lived in NYC from 1997 to 2009.

David Thigpen joined Chicago Urban League in 2006 after a long career as a journalist. He comes to the League from Time Magazine, where he was a staff correspondent based in Chicago and New York City covering a broad variety of subjects – including business, the arts and politics. At Time he contributed several large pieces about urban politics, hip hop culture and public housing.

Thigpen’s writings have also appeared in the New York Times, the Chicago Tribune Literary Review, Essence and Rolling Stone magazines. As VP for Policy & Research, he provides the research and data which support the League’s policy positions.

David E. Thigpen was a writer and analyst who is currently Vice President of Policy and Strategic Advancement at the Insight Center in Oakland, California. He also served on Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s 2011 Mayoral Transition team. His writings have appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone and the Chicago Tribune Literary Review.

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-21-2013, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Mike Downey

Born: August 9, 1951, Chicago Heights, IL

Chicago sports writer;
            Chicago Tribune

Mike's wikipedia page
            Mike Downey is an American newspaper columnist.

Currently writing the "In the Wake of the News" column for the Chicago Tribune originated by Ring Lardner in 1913, he has also written columns in news, entertainment and sports for the Los Angeles Times, Detroit Free Press, Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Daily News.

The Chicago Tribune's 'In The Wake of the News', is arguably, along with the New York Times' 'The Sports of the Times', the most prestigious sports column in the United States.

Downey began a career in journalism at age 15 for a newspaper chain in the south suburbs of Chicago and graduated at 16 from Bloom Township High School in Chicago Heights, Illinois. He has been a police reporter, entertainment writer, editor, critic and columnist, and has covered national political conventions, murder trials and eleven Olympic Games. Among his assignments have been an America's Cup yacht race in Australia, tennis at Wimbledon, British Open golf in Scotland, the Tour de France bicycle race, Stanley Cup hockey finals in Montreal and World Cup soccer in Italy, as well as Pan-American Games competitions in Argentina and Cuba.

He also has been a columnist for The Sporting News and for 15 years wrote a humor column for Inside Sports magazine known as "The Good Doctor." He was a featured sports correspondent for KABC radio in Los Angeles and for WJR radio in Detroit and has often been a panelist on ESPN television's weekly talk show, "The Sports Reporters."

In statewide voting by peers, Downey has been selected National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association sportswriter of the year thirteen times -- in Illinois (twice), Michigan (twice) and California (nine times).

He was honored for his news column by the Los Angeles Press Club in 1998 and won the 1994 Eclipse Award, thoroughbred racing's highest honor. Downey's writing has appeared in a variety of national magazines including GQ, Parade, Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide.

He was included as a character in the Elmore Leonard novel "Be Cool."

Downey resides in Chicago and in Rancho Mirage, Calif. He is married to singer Gail Martin, daughter of the legendary entertainer Dean Martin.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-20-2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Levon Douglas Krikorian

Born: August 12, 1943, Fresno, CA

Long Beach sports writer;
              Long Beach Press-Telegram;

Mother: maiden name, Valena

-----------------------------------------Doug Krikorian (L), former boxing writer for the now defunct Los Angeles Herald-Examiner and Frankie Baltazar.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Joseph N. Henderson---AKA Joe Henderson

Born: February 11, 1951

Tampa sports writer;
                Tampa Tribune, 1974 - 2008

Joe Henderson has been with The Tampa Tribune since 1974, and has covered all aspects of sports - local, state and national. He is known for blunt opinions and for telling readers exactly what is on his mind, whether it's popular or not.
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 10-25-2011, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• William J. Simmons---AKA Bill Simmons

Born: September 25, 1969, Worcester, MA

ESPN sports writer:

Bill's wikipedia page
                  Bill Simmons (b. 1969) is a columnist for Page2 on ESPN.com and ESPN The Magazine. He is also known by the nicknames of "The Boston Sports Guy" or the "Sports Guy". His ESPN.com column is written from the viewpoint of a passionate Boston fan, and often uses extended analogies and references to pop culture in his columns.

He moved to Los Angeles at the end of 2002 to work as a writer for the Jimmy Kimmel Show. He has since left the show to work full-time for ESPN. He has signed a contract to remain with ESPN until 2010.

Simmons currently hosts his own podcast on ESPN.com and iTunes titled "The B.S. Report". When he began his podcast on May 8, 2007, until June 14, it was called "Eye of the Sports Guy". He has also filmed segments for the television series E:60.

He set the record for the longest chat on ESPN's Sportsnation on November 28, 2007, breaking Rob Neyer's previous record. He did the chat to support ESPN's fund raising efforts for the Jimmy V Foundation for cancer. Neyer has since re-broke the record on March 31, 2008 on the opening day of the baseball season. The record now stands at 10 hours and 56 minutes.

He also "officially" announced his candidacy for the position of Milwaukee Bucks general manager.

Bill Simmons, "The Boston Sports Guy", first gained notoriety as a freelance sports columnist with his own website on AOL. Later, he was added to the roster of ESPN's "Page 2" columnists and propelled the page and himself to widespread popularity. He was recruited as a writer for _"Jimmy Kimmel Live" (2003)_ based on that work.

Authored:
                  Now I Can Die in Peace: How ESPN's Sports Guy Found Salvation, with a Little Help From Nomar, Pedro, Shawshank, and the 2004 Red Sox
                  The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to The Sports Guy
                  The Fourth Star

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• ----------
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Bob Elliott

Born: September 10, 1949, Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Toronto sports writer;
                      Ottawa Citizen, sports writer
                      Toronto Sun, 1987 - present

Article: Bob Elliott by Bill Lankhof

Growing up in Kingston, Toronto Sun baseball writer Bob Elliott must have felt a little like the guy batting behind Reggie Jackson or like someone trudging on stage after Patsy Cline. You know ... tough acts to follow. His grandfather, Ed, played for the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball club and is in the Hockey Hall of Fame as a referee. His dad, a local curling legend, is enshrined in the Kingston Hall of Fame and the Queen's University football hall of fame.

"I was just a second baseman who couldn't hit a curve," said Elliott, after being nominated at the Baseball Writers Association of America meeting in New York for the Taylor Spink Award and induction into the writer's wing at Cooperstown. "My father," he says, "would be proud."

In more than a quarter century of covering baseball for newspapers in Ottawa and since 1987 for the Sun, he has hit pretty much every curve life has thrown at him, becoming one of Canada's top sport writers. He'd break more stories in a year than some would in a lifetime.

He has chronicled the great and the small achievements in baseball in this country.

He was there when the Blue Jays won their World Series, he was there when the Expos were young and when they died, he was there with his Mississauga minor baseball teams in victory, he was there when his son, Bobby, hit a home run and he was there when Joe Carter hit his.

It doesn't matter much to Bob where the baseball is being played, or who is playing it. It just matters that it is being played.

"I think I like it because it's the most honest game in the world. I remember watching Yvan Cournoyer in the playoffs when I was a kid and asking my dad why he couldn't score in the playoffs. Dad said it was because they had a shadow on him. It didn't seem fair that guys could hang all over him.

"You don't have someone grabbing Reggie Jackson's bat when he's trying to swing."

Honesty. Fairness. Respect. They're all pretty much part of how people describe Elliott, now 58 and living with his bride, Claire, in Mississauga.

His son Bobby is with the Toronto accounting firm, Grant & Thornton, and his daughter, Alicia, is national account manager for Style at Home magazine.

"Bob has more connections in the world of Major League baseball than some baseball managers," says Toronto Sun sports editor Dave Fuller.

Yet, it is what Elliott has done for Canadian baseball's grassroots that he is often recognized.

Bob has been an ongoing positive influence on an entire country for the past 25 years -- and counting. Never has there been more Canadian college players, Canadian minor league players and as many contributing major leaguers from the Great White North than in the past decade and it's guaranteed every one of those players, their parents and coaches have reached out at one time or other for advice and counsel from Bob," writes Richard Griffin, president of the Toronto chapter of the Baseball Writers of America, in the letter nominating Elliott for the Hall of Fame.

A player agent in the U.S. likes to tell the story about how he was trying to impress the father of a Canadian player with his baseball contacts. He mentioned representing players such as Jeff Reardon and other ‘name’ players. Somewhat flummoxed, the agent mentions he's been talking to Bob Elliott. The father, finally impressed, stopped him dead: "You KNOW Bob Elliott!!!"

Bob hates it when people tell that story. "It's not because I write about the Blue Jays, I think baseball people know me more because I'm involved with Canadian baseball."

More than a decade ago, he started running a draft list of Canadian players like Baseball America does. It went on the Sun website. "I saw how hard these kids worked and they got zero recognition," says Elliott. In 2000, there were 490 Canadian kids playing at U.S. colleges; today there are more than 700.

In 1998, there were 66 Canadians in the minors -- today there are 111, with 53 more on independent pro teams. If there is a baseball prospect between Salmon Arm and Betty's Cove, then Elliott will either know about him or know the scout who does know about him.

When Bob isn't at a ballgame, he'll be in his office, on the phone -- always on the phone until two or three in the morning talking to writers, scouts or agents on the west coast.

His love for the game comes from his father, whose influence still hangs over him.

"It was 1967 and I worked part time at the Kingston Whig-Standard. It's March and they had an opening in the sports department.

"I said I'd take it as soon as school was out. They said they couldn't wait. I went home and told mother. She cried. Father had gone to Queen's.

"Grandfather had gone to Queen's. I was supposed to go to Queen's. Dad just said, 'Leave it with me,' and a couple days later mother said OK, but you've got to talk to father. I figured this would be a snap.

"That's when he told me if I became a sports writer I couldn't be like the guy in Boston in 1941 who left Ted Williams (who had an on-going battle with the press) off an MVP ballot because he didn't like him.

Years pass. Bob's father passes away. "It's 1993 and I'm filling out my MVP ballot and I've got Albert Belle second and I'm thinking, 'He's a jerk' and I move him to sixth.

“And as I'm sitting there ... I remembered what father said. I moved him back to second. You judge people by what they do, not by the way they treat you. But, how spooky is that?"

So he walks the diamonds with peewees and dreamers, with George Brett and Jason Bay. And whether it's the kid hooked on Bazooka Joe or the idol with a cheek full of chaw, he never treated them much different. They all got respect.

Maybe that's why Bob always gets it back, too.

July 25, 1999: Presenting Bob Stevens with his Hall of Fame plaque.

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Stephen T. Hirdt---AKA Steve Hirdt

Born: February 11, 1951, Brooklyn, NY

Elias Sports Bureau
                        Steve Hirdt, executive vice-president of the Elias Sports Bureau, has branched out into writing. He started by writing for ESPN.com's Page2 website briefly before moving to ESPN The Magazine to write a column titled "Do the Math" which focuses on statistics.
                        -----------------------------------------------
                        Steve Hirdt (Statistician. Born, Brooklyn, Feb. 11, 1951.) Since he joined the Elias Sports Bureau in 1970 while still an undergraduate at Fordham, Stephen T. Hirdt has become one of the nation’s most respected sports statisticians. From 1982-2005, Hirdt was director of information for ABC-TV’s “Monday Night Football,” working over 400 telecasts, including seven Super Bowls. He worked with Howard Cosell (q.v.), Don Meredith, Frank Gifford (q.v.), O.J. Simpson, Joe Namath (q.v.), Al Michaels, Dan Dierdorf, Dan Fouts, Dennis Miller, and John Madden. Hirdt is also a contributing writer to ESPN the Magazine (since 1998). His first major television position was in 1976, when he began a 20-season run as director of information for major league baseball’s network telecasts by ABC and then CBS. Hirdt was a commentator and analyst for Yankees telecasts on the MSG Network (1989-2001). Through it all, he served as executive vice president of Elias, the premier sports statistical organization in the country, which serves as official statistician for Major League Baseball, the N.F.L., N.B.A., N.H.L., A.F.L., and M.L.S. Other senior staff at Elias includes two of Hirdt’s brothers, Peter and Tom, as well as Chris Thorn, John Carson, John and Santo Lombardo, Alex Stern, and Bob Waterman. Under long-time Elias president Seymour Siwoff (q.v.), the staff has also included the late Jay Chesler (q.v.), Bob Rosen, and the late Rocky Avakian. (The Bill Shannon Biographical Dictionary of New York Sports is an open database of sports biographies maintained by Jordan Sprechman and Marty Appel.)

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Moss H. Klein

Born: July 27, 1950, Newark, NJ

Newark sports writer;
                          Newark Star-Ledger

Moss Klein (Sportswriting. Born, Newark, N.J., July 27, 1950.) Now deputy sports editor of the Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger, Moss H. Klein was the paper’s Yankees beat writer for 17 seasons (1976-92). Klein went on the beat four years after joining The Star-Ledger and landed in the middle of a tumultuous period of Yankees history. His first season marked the reopening of the renovated Yankee Stadium and the first Yankees pennant since 1964. Previously, Klein had been primarily a basketball writer and was president of the Metropolitan Basketball Writers (1973-75). He was a columnist for The Sporting News for 10 seasons (1982-91) and served as chairman of the New York chapter of the B.B.W.A.A. in 1983-84. Klein also co-authored Damned Yankees (with Bill Madden (q.v.)) in 1990. After leaving the Yankees beat, he worked on the desk of The Star-Ledger and was named deputy sports editor in 1996. His father, Willie (q.v.) was the paper’s sports editor for over 30 years (1962-93) and his older brother, Dave (q.v.), was a sportswriter and columnist there (1961-95).---(New York Historical Society---Museum & Library)---The Bill Shannon Biographical Dictionary of New York Sports is an open database of sports biographies maintained by Jordan Sprechman and Marty Appel. We welcome public and scholarly contributions and suggestions.

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• Charles William Madden---AKA Bill Madden

Born: August 9, 1945, Teaneck, NJ

New York sports writer;
                            Graduated University of South Carolina
                            UPI, sports writer, 1969-1978
                            New York Daily News, sports writer, 1978 - present; covered New York Yankees, 1979-89, sports columnist, 1989-present.
                            Bill was voted to receive the Spink Award in 2010, the lifetime achievement award for sports writers.

Bill was born in 1946 and grew up in Oradell, New Jersey ... graduated from Bergen Catholic High School ... majored in journalism at the University of South Carolina ... was a sports writer with UPI for nine years before joining the New York Daily News in 1978 ... was the New York Yankees’ beat writer for the paper from 1980-88 and became national baseball columnist in 1989 ... has written five books on baseball ... served as a member of the Hall of Fame Screening Committee for the annual BBWAA ballot and the Historical Overview Committee that formulates the Veterans Committee ballots. Bill's father, Charlie Madden was a former Councilman in Oradell, NJ. His son, Tom is a police officer in Oradell, NJ.

Wikipedia
                            Bill Madden is an American sportswriter for the New York Daily News. A member of the Baseball Writers Association of America, he has served on the Historical Overview Committee of the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005, 2007 and 2008, helping to select candidates for the final ballots presented to the Veterans Committee. Madden grew up in New Jersey, and graduated from Bergen Catholic High School in Oradell. He was a spostwriter with UPI for nine years before he joined the Daily News in 1978, and covered the New York Yankees before becoming a columnist in 1989. He has written the books Damned Yankees: A No-Holds-Barred Account of Life With "Boss" Steinbrenner (1991, with Moss Klein), Zim - A Baseball Life (2001, with Don Zimmer), Pride of October: What it Was to Be Young and a Yankee (2003), and Bill Madden: My 25 Years Covering Baseball's Heroes, Scoundrels, Triumphs and Tragedies (2004).

Bill Madden (Sportswriter. Born, Teaneck, N.J., Aug. 9, 1945.) Starting as a general sports reporter for U.P.I. (1970-78), Charles William Madden became a leading baseball writer and then columnist with the Daily News. Madden began covering baseball at U.P.I. but became a Yankees beat writer with the Daily News and began writing a Sunday baseball column. He was among the first to recognize the news value of baseball collectibles and has written extensively about memorabilia. In this vein, Madden was also among the first to write about the vast collection of Yankees limited partner Barry Halper. For many years, he has done a rating of major league annual yearbooks. Both at U.P.I. and as a columnist and national baseball writer at the Daily News, he has covered post-season, All-Star Game, and World Series baseball. Madden has also authored or co-authored books on baseball, the Yankees in particular, one of which was Damned Yankees (1990) with Moss Klein (q.v.). He was chairman of the New York chapter of the B.B.W.A.A. in 1981-82. (New York Historical Society---Museum & Library)---The Bill Shannon Biographical Dictionary of New York Sports is an open database of sports biographies maintained by Jordan Sprechman and Marty Appel. We welcome public and scholarly contributions and suggestions.

Authored:
                            Damned Yankees: A No-Holds-Barred Account of Life With 'Boss' Steinbrenner, 1991, with Moss Klein
                            Pride of October: What it Was to Be Young and a Yankee, 2003
                            Bill Madden: My 25 Years Covering Baseball's Heroes, Scoundrels, Triumphs and Tragedies,2004

July 25, 2010 at his Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony.----------------------------2004.

Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-23-2012, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• ----------
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-04-2009, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Kenneth E. Nigro---AKA Ken Nigro

Born: October 23, 1938,

Baltimore sports writer;
                                Queens, NY, 1-year old, (April 9, 1940 census)
                                Baltimore Sun, sports writer, 1965-82
                                Graduated Colby College (Waterville, Maine), 1960 (majored in Spanish)
                                Baltimore Orioles, Public Relations, 1982, 1984.
                                New York Yankees, PR Director, 1983
                                Boston Red Sox,

Father: Victor, born New York, 1906?; Mother: Edna A., born New York, 1908?;

Ken has been with the Lindos Sueños program since its inception, and has helped in a variety of roles. Ken has been a baseball man his entire professional career. He covered the Orioles for the Baltimore Sun for many years. He has also worked as the Director of Public Relations for the Yankees, and worked with the Orioles, Padres, and Red Sox. Ken is a graduate of Colby College

article:
                                Journeyman, By Kevin Rousseau

His Boston Red Sox business card says he is “Consultant-Director, Fantasy Camp/Cruise.” But don’t let the card fool you. When it comes to Major League Baseball, Ken Nigro ’60 is plugged in.

“He completely hides how connected and influential he is,” said Charles Steinberg, former Red Sox executive vice president for public affairs, now with the Dodgers. “He’s like the wealthy woman who dresses in rags because she doesn’t want you to know she’s rich.”

Nigro’s riches have come over a long baseball career, half of it spent covering the sport as a writer for the Baltimore Sun and the second half spent working for the Baltimore Orioles and Red Sox.

“He’s been a jack of all trades in the baseball world for many years including spring training, fantasy camp, media relations, public relations,” said Larry Lucchino, Red Sox president and chief executive officer. “He’s a seasoned veteran.”

Like the old-timer in the bullpen, Nigro is the wise sage in a front office known for its youth. In fact he’s been around baseball as long as many of his Red Sox colleagues (including Galen Carr ’97 and Brian O’Halloran ’93) have been alive.

Nigro may have grown older with the game, but the game, he says, never gets old. “Every game is a little different,” he said. “I've been fortunate to be around some of the greats, like Earl Weaver, and to see players like Koufax, Mantle, and Mays.”

He’s grateful for his baseball-related career—and he’s well aware that it almost didn’t happen.

Nigro came to Colby from New Jersey as a 100-pound asthmatic freshman, hoping to benefit from Maine’s clean air. He put on 40 pounds, he recalls, and was in the minority for the time as a guy who didn’t join a fraternity (“I couldn’t have gotten a date no matter what I did,” he said, during an interview in the press box at Fenway Park. “They called us GDIs. Goddamn Independents. We were like outcasts.”).

He majored in Spanish, which still comes in handy when he works at Red Sox camps in the Dominican Republic, but back then he was unsure what to do after graduation. Ironically, a failed job interview set him on the right course.

Nigro was interviewing at an insurance company in New Jersey when the interviewer stopped him. “He said, ‘You don’t want to work here. Let me ask you something. If you could do one thing that you wanted, what would you do?’”

Nigro remembers his reply, “I have some interest in maybe becoming a sportswriter,” he said. The interviewer countered with, “Then why don’t you do it?”

He did, first at the Long Branch (N.J.) Daily Record and the Hagerstown Morning Herald before landing a job at the Baltimore Sun. He stayed for 17 years. “I was doing what I wanted to do,” Nigro said. “I would wake up every morning and couldn’t wait to get to work.”

And Nigro was a great reporter, said Boston Globe sports columnist Dan Shaughnessy, who started his career at the Sun in the 1970s. In fact, to this day, Shaughnessy credits Nigro with teaching him the core values of their craft.

“He was fearless and not afraid of the consequences of what people would think,” Shaughnessy said. “He would protect sources.” And the veteran offered his protégé valuable advice: “Never touch the players’ food, respect their space, don’t become buddies with them.”

“He taught me how to act like an adult,” Shaughnessy said. “It was helpful to me to have that sort of role model right out of the gate.”

In 1982, after a dozen years covering the Orioles, Nigro literally joined the club, in public relations. After a year with the Orioles, he went to work for George Steinbrenner as the New York Yankees’ director of public relations. In 1984, like a journeyman ballplayer, Nigro returned to the Orioles, and when Larry Lucchino and Charles Steinberg left the San Diego Padres for Boston, Nigro joined them.

“There were certain roles that he played that we thought would be useful to us,” Lucchino said. “He has a certain track record of reliability, and he’s a source of a lot of general ideas with regard to on-field and off-the-field activities because he’s been around the game for thirty-five years.”

Nigro is a baseball fixture, and the game has treated him well. “He was an old-looking young guy (then) instead of young-looking old guy (now),” Shaughnessy said. “He hasn’t aged in thirty years.”

The secret to longevity, as in life, may be finding your calling and sticking with it. “It’s what I've always done,” Nigro said, as the game got underway on the Fenway green below. “I still do enough writing for the cruise and the fantasy camp to still think I’m a newspaper guy. Next to being a newspaper guy, this is pretty good.”

With Boston Globe sports columnist Dan Shaughnessy---Ken Nigro: at Fenway Park
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-01-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X