No announcement yet.

Meet The Sports Writers

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Harold Joseph Tuthill

    Born: February 4, 1906, St. Louis, MO
    Died: June 14, 1988, St. Louis, MO, age 82,---d. heart ailment

    St. Louis sports writer;
    St. Louis, MO, 4-year old, (April 16, 1910 census)
    St. Louis, MO, 13-year old, (January 30, 1920 census)
    St. Louis, MO, newspaper, reporter, (April 5, 1930 census)
    St. Louis, MO, newspaper, sports writer, (April 17, 1940 census)
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch, sports writer, 1924 - 1971, (47 years)

    Father: Joseph Harold Tuthill, born Chicago, IL, May 10, 1885, died January 25, 1957; Mother: Ethel M., born Massachusetts, around 1890; Wife: Lily, born Ireland, around 1908; Daughter: Carol, born Missouri, around 1936;

    His father, Harry Joseph Tuthill, was an well-known cartoonist, best known for his comic strip, The Bungle Family. He was born Joseph Harold Tuthill in Chicago, IL, May 10, 1885, and died January 25, 1957.

    Joseph Harold Tuthill---AKA Harry J. Tuthill

    Born: May 10, 1885, Chicago, IL
    Died: January 25, 1957, St. Louis, MO, age 71,---d. heart ailment at St. Joseph Hospital (St. Louis, MO)

    St. Louis cartoonist;
    Chicago, IL, 15-year old, (June 9, 1900 census)
    St. Louis, MO, Dairy worker on Dairy, (April 16, 1910 census)(listed Jos H Tuthill)
    St. Louis, MO, St. Louis Star (newspaper), cartoonist, (September 12, 1918, WWI Civilian Draft Registration)(listed Harry Joseph Tuthill)
    St. Louis, MO, newspaper cartoonist, (January 30, 1920 census)(listed Harry J Tuthill)
    St. Louis, MO, newspaper, cartoonist, (April 5, 1930 census)(Harry J. Tutshill)
    Ferguson, MO, News Syndicate, cartoonist, (April 8, 1940 census)
    St. Louis Star, cartoonist, 1918
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch, cartoonist, ? - 1945

    Father: born New York; Mother: Mary, born Louisiana, October, 1861; Wife: Ethel M., born Massachusetts, around 1887; Son: Harold Joseph, born St. Louis, MO, February 4, 1906, died June 14, 1988, St. Louis, MO;

    Harry J. Tuthill (1886–1957) was an American cartoonist best known for his comic strip The Bungle Family.
    Born in Chicago, Illinois, he grew up in the tenements and worked as a newsboy, quitting when a tough guy muscled in on his corner. At age 15, he traveled the midwest, finding employment with a foot surgeon, selling baking powder, patented eggbeaters and pictures, plus working as a medicine show barker in a street carnival. As he recalled, he left "to work on and at such things as selling enlarged pictures, soliciting for a corn doctor, and for one delirious season carrying on with a medicine show. I would not mention these things except that I feel what may be a pardonable pride in their diversity."

    During his late teens, he settled in St. Louis, Missouri, where he was employed for $10 a week as a foreman at the St. Louis Dairy, where he washed milk cans for seven years.

    By the age of 30, he still had not sold any cartoons. Finding encouragement on his artwork from Bob Grable of World Color Printing, he worked for the St. Louis Star and then moved to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He took night classes at Washington University, studying engineering and art, and signed on as a full-time cartoonist with the St. Louis Star during World War I, doing a strip titled Lafe about a lazy handyman, and attracting national attention for his editorial cartoons.

    Comic strips
    In 1918, Tuthill launched Home Sweet Home, a strip about apartment life, in the New York Evening Mail. During the six-year run, it introduced George and Josephine Bungle, and he retitled it as The Bungle Family in 1924. Distributed initially by the McClure Syndicate and later by the McNaught Syndicate, the strip was carried by 120 newspapers. Comics historian Rick Marschall praised Tuthill's work, "Seldom has there been a strip (Moon Mullins comes to mind) registering a sustained, masterful indictment of petite-bourgeois sensibilities and preoccupations as did The Bungle Family."

    He also drew Alice and Her Bothersome Little Brother and Napoleon Blunder during the 1920s. Little Brother ran as a topper strip to The Bungle Family. Tuthill’s strips from 1919 to 1926 were created in his home studio at 4537 Tower Grove Place in St. Louis, eventually moving to Ferguson, Missouri outside St. Louis. His sister, Irene Morrisson, also lived in the St. Louis area.

    Tuthill continued to draw The Bungle Family for McNaught until he had a dispute with the syndicate in 1939, which no longer carried the strip in 1942. After a hiatus, the strip returned May 16, 1943, with newspapers running a promotional banner, "The Bungles Are Back!" The final two years were syndicated by Tuthill himself until 1945 when he retired. He died of heart disease in 1957.

    His son, Harold Tuthill, who worked for 47 years as a St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports writer, died of a heart ailment in 1988 at the age of 82.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary, February 6, 1957, pp. 30.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-29-2013, 09:55 AM.


    • Ralph Augustus Graves, Jr.---AKA Ralph Graves

      Born: October 17, 1924, Washington, DC
      Died: June 10, 2013, Manhattan, NY, age 88,---d. at home of kidney failure.

      Washington, DC, managing editor;
      Washington, DC, 5-year old, (April 24, 1930 census)
      Attended Williams College,
      WWII, Army Air Force,
      Attended Harvard University,
      Time, Inc., 1948 - (researcher for Life,
      Time-Life, news bureau (San Francisco office),
      Life (Chicago office), bureau chief, senior editor of all Time Inc.'s magazines

      Father: Ralph Augustus, Sr., born Georgia, around 1883 (National Geographic magazine, editor); Mother: Elizabeth Evans, born Michigan, around 1896; Wife 1: Patricia Monser; Wife: Eleanor MacKenzie Parish; Daughter: Sara Savage; Daughter: Katherine Venooker; Son: William; Son: Andrew;

      New York Times' obituary, June 15, 2013
      Ralph Graves, a former writer, editor and executive at Time Inc. who as the last managing editor of the weekly Life magazine strove to keep an American institution afloat in its turbulent final years, died on Monday at his home in Manhattan. He was 88.

      The cause was kidney failure, said his wife, Eleanor.

      Mr. Graves joined Time Inc. in 1948, as a researcher for Life, and his career there described a steady upward arc. Among other posts he was a reporter in the Time-Life news bureau in San Francisco, Life’s Chicago bureau chief and a senior editor for all of Time Inc.’s magazines.

      He became Life’s managing editor, taking over its daily operations, in May 1969. Life, which Time began publishing in 1936, was one of a number of general-interest magazines — among the others were Look and The Saturday Evening Post — that both informed and entertained large numbers of Americans throughout the 1940s and ’50s. Life, in particular, with its emphasis on photography, was said to be the country’s chief source for learning what the world looked like.

      But by the late 1960s general-interest magazines, squeezed by television on the one hand and specialty publications on the other, were an endangered species. Life’s circulation was 8.5 million when Mr. Graves took over; a year and a half later it was 5.5 million, despite a strong run of journalism.

      Within weeks of becoming managing editor, Mr. Graves supervised a controversial issue whose cover article, under the headline “The Faces of the American Dead in Vietnam: One Week’s Toll,” showed photographs of more than 200 American soldiers killed in the Vietnam War from May 28 through June 3.

      The article was especially startling appearing in Life, which had a history of supporting the war, and it drew a passionate reaction, both from those who found that it exploited the country’s grief and from those who found it courageous and moving. As a journalistic device, it has since been used by many publications, including The New York Times.

      That same year, 1969, Life covered Woodstock, the moon landing (with a more than 20,000-word article by Norman Mailer) and the unlikely success of the Mets. The next year, Life published unauthorized reminiscences by the former Soviet premier Nikita S. Khrushchev that the Soviet government newspaper said were fraudulent. Experts on Khrushchev consulted by the magazine declared the manuscript legitimate.

      In 1971, Mr. Graves and Life were victims of a genuine fraud after Clifford Irving, a relatively unknown writer, with the aid of a researcher, created a phony memoir of the reclusive industrialist Howard Hughes and sold it to McGraw-Hill. Life bought serial rights and was set to publish three 10,000-word installments when the hoax came to light. In 1972, Life published an account by Mr. Graves of the whole embarrassing affair.

      “I was an active participant in everything that happened,” he wrote in a 2010 memoir, “The LIFE I Led.” “I spent substantial time with Clifford Irving himself, some of it at crucial moments. I was also the biggest single fool in the shipload of fools at McGraw-Hill and Time Inc.”

      Ralph Augustus Graves was born on Oct. 17, 1924, in Washington. His father, Ralph, who died when his namesake son was a boy, was an editor for National Geographic. His mother, the former Elizabeth Evans, later married F. B. Sayre, who became an American official in the Philippines, and young Ralph spent part of his childhood there.

      Mr. Graves attended Williams College for a year before serving as a cryptographer for the Army Air Forces during World War II. After the war, he went to Harvard and joined Time Inc. after graduating.

      Mr. Graves was the author of several books, both nonfiction and fiction, including the novel “Orion: The Story of a Rape” (1993), which was based on the rape of his daughter Sara in 1983. The novel tells of the crime and the victim’s participation, with the police, in tracking down her assailants.

      Mr. Graves’s first marriage, to Patricia Monser, ended in divorce. He married Eleanor MacKenzie Parish, an editor at Life, in 1958. She survives him, along with his daughters, Sara Savage and Katherine Venooker; two sons, William and Andrew; two stepsons, William and Alexander Parish; and 11 grandchildren and step-grandchildren.

      By the time Life published its final issue on Dec. 29, 1972, it had lost a reported $30 million in four years, though inside the company Mr. Graves remained an admired figure. After the weekly Life ceased publication, he held jobs in Time Inc.’s magazine and television divisions. Life continued to appear in special issues and was subsequently revived for a time as a monthly and later as a Web site.

      “The wreck had been inevitable before he took the wheel, possibly long before,” Loudon Wainwright wrote in his 1986 history of Life, “The Great American Magazine.” He added: “Most people who knew the situation would have agreed that Graves, in fact, did better under rotten conditions than any other plausible candidate would have done. He had been courageous, honest, hardworking and very steady.”

      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------With Vineyard Gazette artist, Ray Ellis.

      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------with wife, Eleanor.
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-03-2013, 07:36 PM.


      • Richard Clair Clarkson---AKA Rich Clarkson

        Born: August 11, 1932, Lawrence, KS
        Died: Still alive

        Midwest Photo-Journalist;
        Coffeyville, KS, 9-year old, (April 12, 1940 census)
        Topeka Capitol-Journal (KS), director of photography, 1956 - 1981
        National Geographic magazine, Director of Photography, 1985 - 1988
        Denver Post (CO),
        Rich Clarkson and Asociates LLC, Denver, CO, (his own company), 1988 - present

        Father: Chester C., born Missouri, around 1888; Mother: Anna, born Missouri, around 1886;

        Rich Clarkson is a Denver, Colorado-based photographer. Rich owns the photography and publishing company Rich Clarkson and Associates, LLC. Clarkson is a former Director of Photography at the National Geographic magazine and was a contract photographer for Sports Illustrated magazine for several decades starting in the 1970s through the 1990s. His photographs have appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated over 30 times. He hired and mentored several photographers who have gone on the achieve world renown. Clarkson has organized the top-tier Summit series of photography workshops for over 20 years. His company handles all championship photography for the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association). In 2007 the journalism school at the University of Kansas awarded the William Allen White Medal to Clarkson for his lifetime achievements.

        Rich's initial claim to fame was his great sports photography. His specialty has always been sports photojournalism. He got started very early in life. By the time American runner, Jim Ryun, came along, Rich was ready with his camera. Since Jim came from the same Kansas town as Rich did, Lawrence, KS, it was a natural alliance. Rich was all over Jim's career. When Track and Field senior editor, Cordner Nelson wrote Jim's biography in 1967, Rich provided all the tons of fantastic photos, and is credited on the cover. Rich was such an inspiration to Jim, that he studied photojournalism at the University of Kansas, largely due to Rich's influence.

        Known mostly for his pioneering sports shooting, our Photography Person of the Year also has spent half a century as a photojournalist, an editor and a mentor for the next generation of aspiring photographers.
        By his own admission, he's no athlete, but Rich Clarkson holds a sports record unlikely to be broken soon: he has just photographed his 50th NCAA college basketball championship. He shot his first back in 1952, and hasn't missed one since 1960. Along the way, Clarkson's pictures have helped redefine the way we look at sports.

        The Final Four is just one facet of a remarkable career with roots reaching back to the 1940s and still running full-throttle today. At 72, Clarkson is a photography dynamo, busy with a demanding shooting and teaching schedule. He also runs Rich Clarkson and Associates (, his Denver-based company that handles book publishing, manages the photo duties of the NCAA championships and two national sports franchises, and mounts a series of highly regarded photography workshops every year. As both a mentor and a colleague, Clarkson has exerted a powerful influence on many of the top professionals working today.

        Over his career, Clarkson also has photographed several Super Bowls, nine Olympiads, and innumerable other events. However, he's convinced that the best pictures don't happen only at the big pro games. "There are so many sports photographers today that would give their left arm to be on the sidelines at the Super Bowl," he says. "Well, that won't necessarily ensure that there's going to be any great pictures that come from it."One of the workshops that Clarkson and his company stage every year is on sports photography. "You're going to get better pictures and going to learn more, by going to a sandlot baseball game or a high school basketball game, because you'll have access," he tells his participants, often young, early-career photographers.

        Each year, PhotoMedia recognizes a person in the industry who has best demonstrated "exceptional artistic and business accomplishments, photographic passion, devotion to the industry, inspiration to colleagues and humanitarian achievements in the community." For his dedication to the above ideals and his commitment to photographic education through his workshops, PhotoMedia is proud to honor Rich Clarkson as our 2005 Photography Person of the Year.

        Right place, right time
        Born in Lawrence, Kan., in 1932, Clarkson recalls that his first passion was airplanes. At the age of 10, with a box camera borrowed from his mother, Clarkson took aerial photos from the passenger seat of a Piper Cub. He reproduced those pictures in a mimeographed aviation newsletter he published on an ongoing basis with a few like-minded friends. In an entrepreneurial effort extraordinary in one so young, Clarkson solicited editorial contributions from a "Who's Who" of the aviation industry, including World War I ace Eddie Rickenbacker, at the time president of Eastern Airlines. He also met and interviewed Orville Wright. Clarkson kept the publication going for two and a half years, with some 40 subscribers. It was an endeavor that seemed to uncannily predict some of his ventures half a century later.

        In high school, Clarkson's interest in photography grew, and he eventually became the school's in-demand photographer. Because the town was the home of the University of Kansas, the big events in Lawrence were college sports. "By the time I was a senior in high school," Clarkson says, "I was photographing the KU basketball games for the Kansas City Star, the Topeka Daily Capital and the Lawrence Journal-World." He continued as a stringer through his own years at KU, where he majored in journalism.

        Although he says that he was terrible at sports himself, Clarkson was drawn to the spectacle of athletics. "It's one of the great places that you can photograph drama and see the human culture and people questing for excellence," he observes. "And, you know, it's a lot less fatal than covering wars."

        In 1952, he asked Kansas coach Forrest C. "Phog" Allen if he could ride to away games on the Jayhawks bus, and Allen agreed. Soon, Clarkson was accompanying the players not only on the bus but on planes and trains, traveling and rooming like a member of the team.

        As luck would have it, that year Kansas made it to the NCAA national championships (not yet known as the Final Four). In Seattle that spring, they bested St. John's to win it all. It was the school's first NCAA title, and Clarkson was there to capture the moment. Later that evening, as the other press photographers were busy developing their pictures under deadline, his was the lone camera around to record NCAA executive director Walter Byers presenting the trophy to Coach Allen, who kissed it in gratitude.

        Clarkson discounts the chance aspects of such events. "As they say, you make your own luck," he observes laconically, in a voice that still reveals his heartland roots.

        A different kind of picture
        Although he undeniably has taken his share, Clarkson deflects attempts to distill in words what makes a great sports picture, pointing out that it's a multifaceted category. "Sports entails everything from portraiture, to reportage, to great action pictures, to very stylized approaches, to essays," he notes. "It's all different kinds of things. So there is no one thing that makes a great sports picture because there are 14 varieties of great sports pictures."

        Over the years, Clarkson has proved to be a master of them all. In fact, it can be argued that he invented a few. In 1956, while still a student at the University of Kansas, Clarkson photographed the 7-foot-1 Wilt Chamberlain shooting, dunking, rebounding — every pose he could think of to visually convey the KU rookie's dominating height. Unsatisfied with the results, Clarkson finally sat Chamberlain in a folding chair, bending to tie his shoe.

        Shot from a low angle, the portrait in chiaroscuro black-and-white revealed the future star's outsized proportions better than any action picture could. Clarkson hopefully mailed off a few prints to a new magazine he'd heard about. Sports Illustrated snapped them up, inaugurating a long and fruitful relationship.

        A few years later, at the 1964 NCAA championship, Clarkson sold Sports Illustrated a photo that, in a way, helped modernize the technique and look of sports photography. Instead of strobes, he used a telephoto lens and Tri-X film pushed to 1200 to utilize the available light and capture UCLA's Walt Hazzard threading his way through a thicket of Duke defenders. The magazine chose the resulting image for its cover, Clarkson's first.

        Although the approach would become common practice in time, Clarkson knew that he was onto something exciting. "No one was much doing that at the time. This was the kind of transition out of the Speed Graphic and Rolleiflex era into 35mm," he says. "Most everyone just kind of gave up on what was going on at the other end of the court."
        Since then, Clarkson estimates that he's shot more than 50 Sports Illustrated covers, but has lost the exact count.

        Then, there's the rarefied kind of sports picture that transcends the genre. For the 1966 Final Four, Clarkson captured a glimpse of college sports, and America, in transition. Number three Texas Western squared off against the top-ranked University of Kentucky Wildcats. The meeting was especially significant in that the Texas Western squad started five black players; the Wildcats, coached by Adolph Rupp, were strictly white. Texas Western triumphed that day, 72-65, but the image that's most remembered is not of the jubilant victors. Rather, it's Clarkson's stark tableau of the dejected Kentucky bench — players, cheerleaders and coaches — looking stunned in defeat that endures.

        Knowing the story behind it, it's hard for a viewer not to read into the picture more than just the loss of a basketball championship. Clarkson has described the moment as "the basketball equivalent of Brown vs. Board of Education."

        More than just sports
        Impressive as his sports-related achievements are, Clarkson points out that there's much more. "Sports is one-twentieth of what I've done in my career," he explains. "It's what people know me more for, but that's not the main thing I've done in photography." He's equally proud of his work editing, managing and teaching. Clarkson has worked for the Denver Post and spent 23 years at the Topeka Capital-Journal managing the photography department, work that he found greatly satisfying. He also has freelanced steadily for Time, Life and other magazines. For seven years, he served on the adjunct faculty of the University of Kansas School of Journalism.

        While managing the photo department at the Lawrence Journal-World, Clarkson hired a high school senior named Bill Snead as an assistant, in 1954. Snead started out by mixing chemicals in the lab, honing his craft under Clarkson's demanding tutelage.

        "He was tough," Snead recalls. "A son-of-a-gun to work for. With Clarkson, you learned by watching him. He might tell you later, ‘You should've moved that light closer, or you could've tried this,' but he wouldn't tell you more than one time."

        The two would work together for several years, moving on at the same time to the Topeka Capital-Journal, where Snead credits Clarkson for cultivating a photo team reckoned among the top 10 in the country. Snead's own career would later take him to the Washington Post, National Geographic and other postings. Now the senior editor back at the Journal-World, he is still in contact regularly with his mentor. "Anything that I've ever achieved," Snead says, "it all goes back to him."

        National Geographic hired Clarkson in the mid-1980s as its director of photography. Among photo jobs, many consider this the world's sweetest plum, but Clarkson found himself bogged down with managerial duties and isolated from most hands-on involvement with picture-taking and photographers.

        Then, in 1987, Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Brian Lanker approached Clarkson with a compelling proposal: help him produce a series of photo portraits celebrating black American women — the influential, the famous and the unsung — each accompanied by a brief essay and biographical information.

        Clarkson had worked with Lanker at the Topeka Capital-Journal and considers him "one of the genius photographers in America." He was delighted to collaborate, and set about securing funding and coordinating other resources.

        The project, I Dream a World: Portraits of Black Women Who Changed America, blended history, art, literature and social commentary. "We conceived it at the very start as being an exhibition of pictures for major art museums, and not just a book," Clarkson remembers. "We had an amazing opening at the Corcoran [Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.], in which we had 72 of the 75 women in the book there for the opening. We had everyone from Odetta to Oprah. Everyone in Washington still talks about that opening."

        "I Dream a World" hit a home run, spawning not one but two exhibits in Washington and two traveling versions that ran for six years. The book itself has gone through 17 printings, with sales of some 550,000 copies, making it one of the best-selling trade coffee table books ever.

        The experience reinvigorated Clarkson. "Managing that whole project and making all of those things happen, I said, ‘Gee, I think I'll leave National Geographic to do that.'" Friends and colleagues were surprised, to say the least, but Clarkson's response was, "Well, would you like to sit at my desk for a week?" He was much happier to be working directly with pictures and photographers again.

        At about the same time, the NCAA invited Clarkson to help produce a book and series of exhibitions on the Final Four. It was then that he began to realize the potential for a business producing high-quality photo books and related exhibits, and formed Rich Clarkson and Associates in Denver.

        Now employing a staff of 10, the firm continues its book-packaging and publishing activities, and, among other clients, exclusively handles photography and publishing for the Colorado Rockies baseball team, the Denver Broncos football team and all of the NCAA's 93 national championship events.

        Learning from the best
        Clarkson also is the prime mover behind a series of prestigious photography workshops. The spring and fall Digital Photography at the Summit workshops in Jackson, Wyo., and the summer Sports Photography Workshop in Colorado Springs, Colo., harness the teaching expertise of the cream of modern photography. In addition to Clarkson, faculty have included Life and Sports Illustrated veteran Bill Eppridge, New York Times sports picture editor Brad Smith, International Wildlife Photographer of the Year Tom Mangelson, Time magazine picture editor MaryAnne Golon and former National Geographic editor-in-chief William L. Allen.

        For working professionals and serious aspirants, the quality of instruction at the workshops is impossible to beat. More important, says Clarkson, is the opportunity to network. "These are the people who actually commission photography, who are looking for talent," he notes, and he's proud to describe a number of book contracts, exhibitions and assignments that were conceived and incubated at the workshops.

        A further attraction at the workshops is the participation of sponsor representatives, including those from Nikon, Apple, Epson and Adobe, who offer technical advice and provide workshop students with the opportunity to try out their very latest equipment and software.

        Peer review and critiques from the teaching teams offer participants valuable feedback. At the conclusion of each Spring Summit, too, a selection of student photos is printed, matted and framed, to be showcased at a public opening in one of the local galleries. "The work is always astounding," Clarkson says. "Just beautiful."

        Recently, Clarkson also launched a pair of workshops, called Capture the Season, in the spring and fall. Conducted at and around the Four Seasons Resort Jackson Hole, these weeklong conclaves — designed for dedicated, and well-heeled, amateurs — are as much about cosseted relaxation as they are about photography, although the instruction and the digital equipment provided are nothing less than top-notch. Indeed, Clarkson notes, the very best teachers in the world eagerly vie for the chance to share their knowledge while roughing it at the Four Seasons.

        More to come
        An early adopter of digital technology, Clarkson nevertheless retains a loyalty to film. "There is no one lens, or piece of equipment, that's right for everything," he says. "For the past couple of years, I've probably used the digital Nikons more than any other piece of equipment. I have been using a D100, and have a D70 now, and got a new D2X," but he still occasionally reaches for his Leica or Hasselblad.

        These days, pursuing his passion with the zeal and vigor of a man one-third his age, Rich Clarkson betrays no hint of intending to slow down. At a point in his career when one might reasonably sit back and take a deep breath, Clarkson's to-do list is jaw-dropping: new books, exhibits and other projects that incorporate photography in innovative ways. He describes each upcoming venture with such enthusiasm that you'd think it was his first big assignment.

        Brian Lanker doesn't expect Clarkson to slow down. "I think it's his innate interest in storytelling. I don't think he'll ever really get tired of telling stories. He's always motivated by what's happening in the world and in the news, and I think that I've taken a little piece of that from him. He's continually stimulated, and he'll be going at it hammer and tongs till he's dead. It's not something that goes away; it's so innate and so important to him."Bill Snead puts it even more succinctly: "A simple way of saying it is that it's his life."

        Clarkson worked as director of photography for 25-years at the Topeka Capital-Journal where he started the careers of such noted photographers and editors as Brian Lanker, Chris Johns, David Alan Harvey, Sarah Leen, Jim Richardson, Susan Biddle, Mark Godfrey, and David Griffin. He also was a contract photographer for Sports Illustrated for 25 years, assistant managing editor of The Denver Post, and president of the National Press Photographers Association.

        Some examples of Rich's superior quality work. Three of Jim Ryun, one of champion diver, Greg Louganis.

        Rich and Jim Ryun in 1967. Along with Jim's coach, Bob Timmons, Rich was one of the shaping influences for young Jim.
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-27-2014, 08:30 AM.


        • Robert S. Lyons, Jr.---AKA Bob Lyons

          Born: June 29, 1939, Philadelphia, PA
          Died: June 5, 2013, Upper Southampton, PA, age 73,---d. heart disease

          Associated Press sports writer;
          Philadelphia, PA, 9-months old, (April 2, 1940 census)
          Graduated La Salle University, 1961
          La Salle University information director, 1962
          Associated Press, sports correspondent, 1976 - 2011
          President of own editorial-services / public relaions, 1995 - 2013

          Father: Robert J., born Pennsylvania, around 1917; Mother: Catharine, born Pennsylvania, around 1917; Wife: Joan Lang; Daughter: Joanne; Son Robert P.; Son: Dave; Son: Greg;

 obituary, June 11, 2013, BY JOHN F. MORRISON, Daily News Staff Writer
          Robert S. Lyons Jr., 73, sportswriter, author, public relations consultant, La Salle University official.

          BILL FLEISCHMAN might have put it best: "Bobby Lyons was a genuine Philly sports guy."

          Like many Philadelphia sportswriters, past and present, Bill Fleischman, longtime Daily News sports correspondent and auto-racing reporter, knew and respected Bobby Lyons as a consummate professional, yet one who never called much attention to himself.

          He was a sports reporter for the Associated Press and the old Evening Bulletin, author of several highly regarded books on different aspects of sports, former sports-information officer for La Salle University, head of its news bureau and operator of his own public-relations company.

          Sometimes, the swirl of events that every sportswriter has to deal with threatened to engulf those assigned to deal with it, but there was Bobby Lyons in the midst of it all, a sea of calm.

          Robert S. Lyons Jr., whose genuine concern for friends, family and the young people whom he mentored charmed all who came in contact with him by his gentlemanly conduct, died Wednesday of heart disease. He was 73 and lived in Upper Southampton, Bucks County.

          "He was a class act and consummate professional," said Drew McQuade, Daily News assistant sports editor. "Bob was the righthand man for the AP's Ralph Bernstein at Eagles games for decades, and in the middle of the chaos that followed those deadline adventures, Bob was always the calm one.

          "Besides that, he was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet."

          "He was an old-time gentleman, a professional and a real good guy," said Daily News sportswriter Mike Kern. "You will never hear anybody say a bad word about him. In the sportswriting fraternity, we're really going to miss him. He was as much a friend as a colleague."

          Jim DeStefano, Daily News sports copy editor, got to know Bobby when Jim was a senior at La Salle and Bob was director of the news bureau and teaching courses in journalism, public relations and advertising.

          "He took the kids under his wing," Jim said. "He always had time for the kids. He really cared about what he did."

          And Jim, who donated a lot of work hours helping out at the news bureau, is grateful for the fact that Bob helped get him a full scholarship for his final semester.

          "He loved Philadelphia," said Bob's son Rick Lyons. "He loved the sports teams. He was a great father. He led us; he didn't push us. He was always fair and even-keeled. Family came first with him."

          Jack Scheuer, longtime Associated Press sportswriter, agreed. "I've known him for 40 years," he said. "An even-keeled, all-around nice person. Got along with everybody. Was very conscientious about his work, and loved sports and his family."

          Bob was the author or co-author of some well-received books. He wrote Palestra Pandemonium: A History of the Big 5, and On Any Given Sunday: A Life of Bert Bell.

          He worked with Ray Didinger, Comcast SportsNet football analyst and former Daily News and Evening Bulletin sportswriter, on the highly regarded book The Eagles Encyclopedia, published by Temple University Press in 2005.

          Ray said Temple approached him about doing the Encyclopedia, but he said he would need a collaborator, and that was when Bob Lyons was suggested. Ray knew Bob and was enthusiastic about the partnership.

          "It would never have gotten done without Bob," Ray said. "He immersed himself in the Encyclopedia. He was excited about it. He was so reliable that if he said he would have a chapter done by 9 a.m., I would turn on my computer at 9 a.m. and there it would be.

          "Bob was just a total gentleman," Ray said. "He was a delightful guy."

          While researching the Encyclopedia, Bob became fascinated by the life of Bert Bell, National Football League commissioner from 1945 to his death in 1959, and co-founder and co-owner of the Eagles.

          Bob wrote a chapter in the Encyclopedia about Bell, then expanded it to the book. Bell's son, Upton Bell, onetime executive with the Baltimore Colts and now a talk-show host on WCRN in Worcester, Mass., said, "For two long years, Bob Lyons, the detective, the great researcher, would work with tireless fury to find out everything he could about Bert Bell and bring it to life.

          "Bob Lyons was part of a generation that got up every day and did the job and never complained," Bell said.

          Bob was born in Philadelphia, the son of Robert and Catharine Lyons. He graduated from Northeast Catholic High School in 1957 and La Salle University in 1961. He went to work for La Salle the next year as its first sports-information director.

          Bob was public-relations consultant for Abington Township for a time, and was a Democratic committeeman in the 23rd Division of the 50th Ward in Philadelphia from 1964 to 1971.

          He was a sports correspondent for the AP for more than 35 years, retiring in 2011.

          Bob had been president of his own editorial-services and public-relations firm since 1995, providing professional services to a variety of organizations, including the AP, La Salle, Brandywine Global Investment Management, Merrill Lynch, Princeton University and WHYY-TV, among others.

          Besides his son, he is survived by his wife, the former Joan Lang; a daughter, Joanne Jenkins; three other sons, Robert, Dave and Greg; and 11 grandchildren.

          Services: Funeral Mass 10 a.m. tomorrow at Our Lady of Good Counsel in Southampton. Friends may call at 9 a.m. Burial will be in St. John Neumann Cemetery, Chalfont.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-03-2013, 07:08 PM.


          • Dr. Malcolm Brodie

            Born: September 27, 1926, Glasgow, Scotland
            Died: January 29, 2013, Belfast, Northern Ireland, age 86

            Northern Ireland sports writer;
            Portadown Times,
            Belfast Telegraph, sports writer, 1943 - 1950, sports editor, 1950 - 1991

            Malcolm Brodie MBE, (27 September 1926 – 29 January 2013) was a Scottish-born journalist.

            Brodie spent his working life in Northern Ireland, after being evacuated to Portadown, County Armagh at the onset of World War II. He began his career at the Portadown Times before moving to the Belfast Telegraph in 1943, where, in 1950, he set up the newspaper's first sports department, with himself as editor. This was a role he held for 41 years, during which time he reported from a record 14 FIFA World Cups; a feat which was recognised by FIFA in 2004 as they awarded him the Jules Rimet award. As well as his position at the Belfast Telegraph, Brodie also wrote for the Daily Telegraph, the News of the World and the Sun. He authored several histories of Irish League clubs, a history of the Irish League itself and the official history of the Irish Football Association. Despite retiring as sports editor of the Belfast Telegraph in 1991, he continued to write a column called 'Down Memory Lane' and remained an honorary life employee of the newspaper.

            Brodie received many accolades in recognition of his work, among them an honorary doctorate from the University of Ulster, induction into the Belfast Sports Hall of Fame, the inaugural Doug Gardner Memorial Award in 1990 from the Sports Journalists' Association for services to the profession and an All-Ireland Journalists' Association lifetime achievement award. He received an MBE for services to journalism in 1979.

            Brodie died, aged 86, on 29 January 2013. His funeral was held at Cregagh Presbyterian Church, Belfast. A minute's silence, followed by a minute of applause, was held at all Irish League grounds on the weekend following his death and the Northern Ireland national team wore black armbands as a mark of respect during their next international match. It is intended that the press box at the re-developed Windsor Park will be named in his honour.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM.


            • Peter P. Conrad---AKA Pete Conrad

              Born: March 22, 1956, Hamilton, OH
              Died: March 4, 2013, Hamilton, OH, age 56,---d. University Hospital (Cincinnati, OH)

              Cincinnati sports writer;
              Graduated Talawanda HS, 1974
              Graduated Miami University, 1978
              Mason Pulse Journal,
              Hamilton Journal, sports writer / sports editor,
              Oxford Press, editor, February, 2012 -
              Miami University, sports reporter,

              Father: Charles; Mother: Mildred Williams;

              Pete Conrad, long-time sports journalist, dies at 56
              By Richard Jones, Staff Writer, Tuesday, March 5, 2013
              Pete Conrad will be remembered as a “gentle giant,” a kind, softspoken man and a journalist who always gave everyone a fair shake.

              Conrad, editor of The Oxford Press and longtime Miami University sports reporter, died March 4 at University Hospital in Cincinnati.

              Born March 22, 1956, in Hamilton, Conrad was a life-long resident of Reily Twp. He graduated from Talawanda High School in 1974 and Miami University in 1978.

              Pat Diangelo, founder and publisher of the Mason and West Chester Pulse-Journal, gave Conrad his first job when he graduated from Miami University. “He was the first sportswriter I hired for the paper,” Diangelo said. “To me, he was like a son, and a big teddy bear who couldn’t hurt a soul.”

              “He was a dedicated writer and never did anything that would upset anybody,” he said, “but was not the type of person who would get upset if someone didn’t like what he had put in the paper.”

              Diangelo recalled an incident in which a large man came into the newspaper’s to complain about a story Conrad did about Moeller High School athletes praying to statues before a big game.

              “They were both really big guys and I thought they would tear the place up,” Diangelo said. “Pete didn’t shrink from him, but stood up and explained how he wrote the story, and when the guy left they were like old friends.”

              “He taught me how to have patience because I was always the type to always be jumping here and jumping there,” he said. “Pete taught me how to settle down. He was the type of guy who could smooth you out and relax you.”

              Mike O’Connor, a Pulse-Journal consulting editor when Conrad started working there, concurred that he was a peaceful guy in spite of his large presence.

              “I can’t say that I ever saw him angry about anything,” O’Connor said. “I don’t think I’d want to see him angry.”

              “He was an effortless writer,” O’Connor said. “He was never a show-off, never a hot dog. His work was as unassuming as he was.”

              “It just came naturally for Pete to give his all to whatever he did,” said Lois Cockerham of Liberty Twp., who was editor of The Pulse-Journal when Conrad was sports editor.

              That character trait carried over to all aspects of his life, Cockerham said, from caring for his mother as she aged, to most recently, doting on his two young daughters, whom he adored.

              “If you attended a Butler County Fair in the last few years and encountered this big bear of a guy with a beard proudly pushing two small children in a stroller, that was Pete as a dad,” she said.
              After leaving The Pulse Journal for the Hamilton JournalNews, Conrad covered Miami University sports for 29 years.

              “Whenever Miami was looking for a new head coach, Pete was the one reporter who would never pressure me about clandestine meetings or inside information,” said Jo Anne Bogard, long-time administrative assistant to the athletic director. “He was always so caring, laid-back and low key and a delight to be around.”

              “He was always good about paying attention to the non-revenue sports,” she said. “He always hit the nail on the head, always attentive to the details and a very thorough writer.”
              In February 2012, Conrad was named editor of The Oxford Press.

              Conrad had been hospitalized since December with Guillain-Barre syndrome, a disorder that causes muscle weakness and other symptoms.

              Even though the disorder left him debilitated, long-time friend and former co-worker Becky Chambers said he never lost his resolve.

              “He was always an adventurous spirit,” she said. “Although he could not move, he could indicate yes and no, and he was determined to keep going and get well.”

              Conrad is survived by two daughters, Jasmin, 5, and Carmella, 4, and David, a young man he considered to be a son.

              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 11-23-2013, 12:50 PM.


              • Dennis J. Barnidge

                Born: October 2, 1951
                Died: October 20, 2012, Mehlville, MO, age 61,---d. esophageal cancer

                St. Louis sports writer;
                Graduated Vianney HS, 1970
                Graduated University of Missouri, 1976
                Daily News Democrat, sports editor,
                Jefferson County Suburban Journal, editor, ? - 2011

                Father: Sid; Mother: Virginia; Wife Margaret Irwin; Daughter: Maggie; Daughter: Tess; Daughter: Sarah;

                St. Louis Post-Dispatch obituary, October 23, 2012, By David Kvidahl —

                Longtime Jefferson County sportswriter Barnidge dies

                Longtime Jefferson County Journal sports editor Dennis Barnidge died of complications from esophageal cancer Saturday night. He was 61.

                Barnidge began his journalism career out of the University of Missouri in 1976, when he was hired as the sports editor of the Daily News Democrat in Jefferson County. He filled that slot for three years before being hired to write about news by the competing Courier Journal. His foray into the news side was short-lived.

                Barnidge returned to the sports department, where he remained for the rest of his career. He was the editor for the various incarnations of the Jefferson County Suburban Journal sports sections until they ceased publication in 2011. He was a senior writer and editor at for the past year, during which he focused on coverage of track, cross country and wrestling.

                Barnidge grew up in South St. Louis County. The son of Sid and Virginia Barnidge, he graduated from Vianney High in 1970 and earned a degree in political science from Mizzou in 1975. A year later he graduated with his journalism degree.

                Barnidge was known for his adept story telling and clear voice. His stories were filled with vivid images, details and humor.

                "I thought Dennis was a conscientious sportswriter, conscientious but fun," retired Seckman High athletics director and baseball coach Kevin Bowers said. "He was a thinker. He didn't write the regular story. He'd go a little deeper."

                Barnidge covered Jefferson County unlike anyone before or since. From Jefferson College, the I-55 Raceway, American Legion, SLABA, youth and high school sports, Barnidge believed the community newspaper's sports section should reflect its community.

                He won innumerable awards for his writing, page design and editing, most recently in the 2012 Missouri Press Association contests. He won first and second place for best news story for weekly papers.

                Barnidge had a passion for people. He loved telling stories and did it in a way that was all his own.

                "He was an amazingly talented writer, a natural writer," said Pat Martin, a friend, co-worker and then competitor at the Jefferson County Leader. "You combine that with his sense of humor and it was a treat for readers and co-workers and friends. He was a one-of-a-kind person, a one-of-a-kind talent, really."

                Barnidge is survived by his wife of 35 years, Margo, and children Maggie Barnidge, 31, Tess Moulder, 29, and Sarah Barnidge, 27.

                A funeral Mass is set for 10 a.m. today at Assumption Catholic Church, 4725 Mattis Road in South County.
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-03-2013, 07:16 AM.


                • Joseph B. Fosko---AKA Joey Fosko

                  Born: September 20, 1943,
                  Died: June 17, 2013, Paducah, KY, age 69,---d. heart attack at Jackson Purchase Medical Center

                  Kentucky sports writer;
                  Graduated Lone Oak HS
                  Paducah Sun (KY), sports writer, 1986

                  Father: Joseph B.; Mother: Janice Garrett;
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-03-2013, 07:20 AM.


                  • John F. Beckett

                    Born: May 19, 1950, Ohio
                    Died: October 6, 2009, age 59,

                    Ann Arbor sports writer;

                    Ann obituary, Friday, October 9, 2009, By JIM KNIGHT
                    John Beckett, longtime Ann Arbor News sports writer, dies at 59,

                    John Beckett, an Ann Arbor News sports writer who covered the University of Michigan’s 1989 NCAA basketball championship team and the Fab Five years in the early 1990s, died Tuesday. He was 59.

                    “He was a very talented and quick writer,” said Geoff Larcom, a former sports editor at The News and now the executive director of media relations at Eastern Michigan University. “He could synthesize stories very quickly, and he loved being out in the fray of events.

                    “He could take complex issues and topics and really make them clear and report on them in a meaningful fashion.”

                    Beckett started at The News as a copy editor in 1979 and then moved into sports writing. Prior to The News, he worked at the Brighton Argus for eight years and in radio. He was active as a youth sports coach and in recent years he wrote on his blog.

                    Jason Whitlock, an award-winning columnist for the Kansas City Star since 1994, worked at The News from 1992-94 and said Beckett helped him.

                    "I was pretty young, 24, 25 years old, and John was one of the most helpful people on the staff," Whitlock said. "Beckett was the guy who got along with everybody on the staff."

                    Beckett is survived by his wife of 35 years, Jean; a daughter, Jessica Jones of Royal Oak; sons Josh Beckett of Chicago and Jacob Beckett of Ann Arbor and a granddaughter, Kayla.

                    Visitation is today from 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. and Keehn Funeral Home in Brighton. Services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday at the Brighton First United Methodist Church following a one-hour visitation.
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-08-2013, 01:50 AM.


                    • Richard D. Gibson---AKA Hoot Gibson

                      Born: August 22, 1952
                      Died: July 3, 2013, Saint Clairsville, OH, age 60,---d. Wheeling Hospital of Lymphoma.

                      Ohio sports writer;
                      Graduated St. Clairsville HS (St. Clairsville, OH), 1970
                      Attended Harding University (Searcy, AR),
                      US Navy, 1976 - 1978
                      Times Leader (Martins Ferry, OH), sports writer, 1981 - 2013

                      THE OHIO Valley has seen the passing of a journalistic icon.

                      Longtime Times Leader scribe Richard "Hoot" Gibson died this morning at Wheeling Hospital. Gibson, 60, lost a courageous and nearly year-long battle against lymphoma.

                      "Hoot was an exceptional and versatile writer. His sports columns and features were second to none," said longtime associate and Times Leader Managing Editor Robert "Bubba" Kapral. "Hoot loved to travel and consequently there wasn't a national sporting event that he did not cover multiple times. He rubbed elbows with many of the elite professional and collegiate athletes and coaches.

                      "He was far more than a sports writer. Hoot was very broad-based in his journalistic offerings. He did everything in our business from penning his popular "Left Lane" music column to covering elections," Kapral said. "His quality of work and dedication to the industry were reflected on Hoot being selected to enter this year's OVAC Hall of Fame Class in the media category. Hoot was a well-loved individual by all those who knew him. He had a quick wit and a genuine caring for the people in his life. Hoot was a special individual in all aspects."

                      "Rich will be greatly missed on and off the field. He was more than just a writer, he was always full of life and stories," said Times Leader Publisher Lori Figurski. "I will truly miss our conversations on the Indians, Pirates and sports in general. Hoot never met a stranger - he was a fast friend to all. I will forever miss our Rich."

                      The St. Clairsville High graduate began his career in the local media in 1981 and spent 32 years on the staff at The Times Leader, serving as a sports writer and for a brief time as sports editor and also as area news editor.

                      Gibson has written countless columns covering high school, college and professional sports and instituted the All-Times Leader teams in all high school sports.

                      He has covered OVAC contests in nearly every sport and at most conference schools over the years, including OVAC all-star games in every sport.

                      Gibson has been seen at countless sporting events not only locally, but around the country. He's covered several NCAA men's basketball "Final Four" games, many World Series and MLB All-Star Games, 10 Super Bowls and 18 college football bowl games. He's also authored countless stories on the Ohio State Buckeyes and the West Virginia Mountaineers and served one year as the beat writer for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

                      "I grew up reading Hoot's columns and articles, and I remember always thinking that if Hoot was covering the game, it had to be one of the biggest on the card that night," said T-L Sports Editor Seth Staskey. "Rich had the opportunity to cover things that many only dream of in this profession. His passing not only leaves a void at this paper, but certainly in the realm of Ohio Valley sports journalism. I know Rich will be missed greatly by all those who knew him, but he'll never be forgotten."

                      He received the OHSAA Media Service Award for the Eastern District in 2000 and has won several Ohio Prep Sports Writers Association awards over the years.

                      Gibson was also a freelance writer for several years for Basketball Weekly magazine based out of Detroit, Mich.

                      Gibson, who attended Harding University in Arkansas, also spent several years as a local baseball, basketball and volleyball official and served as manager of the Fairpoint-Neffs ballclub of the Ohio Valley Baseball League.

                      He served three years in the United States Navy (1976-78), working in communications for Command 6th Fleet Europe while stationed in Italy and touring both Europe and northern Africa.

                      He is survived by a sister, Joy Pempek. She resides in Lexington, Ky.


                      • Eddie Giles

                        Born: 1928?, Cheltenham, England
                        Died: December 27, 2012, Essex, England, age 84,---d. prostate cancer

                        British sports writer;
                        Derby Evening Telegraph, 1944 - 1956
                        Bristol Evening Post, deputy sports editor, 1956 - 1970
                        Manchester Daily Telegraph, sports writer, 1970 - 1987, Northern sports editor, 1985 - 1993

                        Wife: Joan;

                        Eddie Giles, a former northern sports editor of the Daily Telegraph, has died at his Essex home, aged 84.

                        Eddie Giles: much liked and respected sports journalist
                        Giles, who was born in Cheltenham but whose family moved to Derbyshire when he was two, began his career with the Derby Evening Telegraph, which he joined in 1944 after leaving Loughborough Grammar School.

                        He remained with the Derby paper until 1956 – interrupted when he did his National Service in the RAF – when he moved to the Bristol Evening Post as chief sports sub-editor and then deputy sports editor.
                        In 1970 he moved to Manchester, where he worked at the Daily Telegraph until 1987 before switching to the London office.

                        For the last eight years of his career, until he retired in 1993, he was the broadsheet’s northern sports editor. He continued writing, producing books on Derby County, Nottingham Forest, Notts County and both Bristol clubs.

                        He died just after Christmas, from prostate cancer from which he had suffered for a number of years. He leaves a widow, Joan, two children and four grandchildren.

                        “Eddie Giles was an old-style newspaperman, a good operator. He was also one of the nicest people you could ever wished to have met,” SJA member Anton Rippon, who worked with Giles over many years, said.

                        The funeral will be held at St Giles and All Saints, Orsett, Essex, at 11.15am on January 15.


                        • Dicky Jamshed Rutnagur---AKA Dicky Rutnagur

                          Born: February 26, 1931, Bandra, India
                          Died: June 20, 2013, London, England, age 82,

                          Indian sports writer;
                          Hindustan Times, cricket correspondent, 1958 - 1966
                          Daily Telegraph, sports writer, 1966 - 2005

                          Son: Richard Sohrab Ruthagur;

                          D.J. "Dicky" Rutnagur (February 28, 1931 - June 20, 2013) was an Indian sports journalist. He was cricket correspondent for the Hindustan Times from 1958 to 1966, when he became a freelance based in the UK. He covered cricket, squash and badminton for The Daily Telegraph from 1966 to 2005.

                          With Anandji Dossa, he co-edited The Indian Cricket-Field Annual throughout its life from 1957-8 to 1965-6. He first wrote for Wisden Cricketers' Almanack in 1963, and his most recent piece appeared in the 2007 edition. He wrote two books, including a biography of squash legend Jahangir Khan. The duo of Dickie as commentator and Vijay Merchant as expert is remembered by millions of Indian cricket fans.

                          He sometimes wrote for two national newspapers at the same time, using the pen-name Dileep Rao when he wrote for The Guardian and his own when writing for The Daily Telegraph.

                          He was the only person to witness both of two great cricketing feats. He was present when Garry Sobers hit six sixes in an over from Malcolm Nash in a County Championship match in Swansea in 1968 and, more than 16 years later, he also witnessed Ravi Shastri do likewise, off Baroda slow left-armer Tilak Raj in a Ranji Trophy game in Bombay.

                          He died on June 20, 2013 in London after a prolonged illness. He was 82 and is survived by his son Richard Sohrab Rutnagur.


                          • Don F. Lindner

                            Born: February 23, 1931, Watertown, SD
                            Died: May 14, 2013, Rapid City, SD, age 82,---d. at Rapid City Regional Hospital (SD).

                            Rapid City (SD) sports writer;
                            Kranzburg, SD, 9-year old, (April 3, 1940 census)
                            SoDak Sports magazine (Sioux Falls, SD),
                            Madison Daily Leader (SD), news editor,
                            Watertown Public Opinion (Watertown, SD),
                            Rapid City Journal (SD), sports editor, 1959 - 1996

                            Father: Tom, born South Dakota, around 1903; Mother: Agnes, born South Dakota, around 1909; Wife: Donna, died 2009; Daughter: Suzanne Louise; Son: Mark; Daughter: Lisa Sweeney-Nicol;

                            RAPID CITY- Don F. Lindner, 82, died Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at Rapid City Regional Hospital.

                            He was born February 23, 1931, in Watrtown, grew up in the Kranzburg area, graduated from Goodwin High School in 1949, South Dakota State College in 1954, and lived in Rapid City since 1959.

                            Don got his professional start in journalism by working for Al Neuharth and his SoDak Sports magazine in Sioux Falls. Neuharth later founded the nationally acclaimed USA Today publication.

                            When the South Dakota magazine folded, Don joined the Madison Daily Leader as the news editor. He began his sports editor career at the Watertown Public Opinion, and in 1959 moved the to the Rapid City Journal where he was the paper’s sports editor for the next 37 years before retiring in 1996.

                            Don was named South Dakota Sportswriter of the Year by the National Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association 11 times. The South Dakota High School Activities Association awarded him its Distinguished Service Award and he twice received the South Dakota Coaches Association Sportswriter of the Year Award, the only one to be twice honored.

                            He was a member of the South Dakota Sports, South Dakota Amateur Basketball, South Dakota Intercollegiate Conference and Rapid City Halls of Fame.

                            He was preceded in death by his wife, Donna in 2009, daughter Suzanne Louise, his parents, Agnes and Tom Lindner, and brothers, David Lindner and Ron Lindner.

                            Don is survived by son, Mark, Rapid City; daughter, Lisa Sweeney-Nicol, Rapid City; three grandchildren: Alyson Sweeney, Andrew Sweeney, and Chelsey Nicol; sister, Armella (Donald) Ries, Kranzburg; and many nephews and nieces.

                            Visitation will be on Monday, May 20, 2013 from 5:00-7:00 p.m. at Osheim & Schmidt Funeral Home with a Christian Wake Service & Rosary starting at 7:00 p.m.

                            Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at Blessed Sacrament Church with Rev. Janusz Korban presiding.

                            Interment with full military honors provided by the Rushmore VFW Post 1273 and the South Dakota Army National Guard will follow at Black Hills National Cemetery near Sturgis.

                            A memorial has been established to Blessed Sacrament Church in Rapid City.
                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-15-2013, 07:00 PM.


                            • Chuck Carree

                              Born: February 17, 1955, Spartanburg, SC
                              Died: Still Alive

                              North Carolina sports writer;
                              Graduated Spartanburg Methodist College, 1975
                              Attended University of South Carolina, Journalism degree, 1977
                              StarNews (Wilmington, NC), sports writer, February 1978 - 2013 (35 years)


                              • Kirby Arnold

                                Born: June 8, 1954
                                Died: Still Alive

                                Everett Herald (Everett, WA)

                                Kirby Arnold was a writer and editor for 42 years, including 27 years at The Herald in Everett, Wash., where he covered the Seattle Mariners from 1999-2011.
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-16-2013, 03:27 PM.


                                Ad Widget