No announcement yet.

Meet The Sports Writers

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Orville Monroe Henry, Jr.

    Born: February 19, 1925, Little Rock, AR
    Died: March 16, 2002, Malvern, AR, age 77,---d. pancreatic cancer

    Arkansas sports editor;
    Big Rock, AR, 5-year old, (April 3, 1930 census)
    Arkansas Gazette, sports writer, 1942 - 1943, sports editor, 1943 - 1989
    Arkansas Democrat, sports writer, 1989 - 1996
    Donrey Media, sports writer, 1996 - ?

    Father: Orville Monroe, Sr., born Illinois, around 1894; Mother: Fredda, born Missouri, around 1896; obituary, March 17, 2002, biographical sketch prepared by Jim Bailey
    Legendary Sportswriter Orville Henry Dies

    Orville Henry died Saturday evening March 16th at his home in Malvern. He was 77. He had battled pancreatic cancer for the past 25 months.

    Henry was a columnist for the Morning News of Northwest Arkansas after spending 60 years writing sports for the Arkansas Gazette, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and Donrey Media. He was the sports editor of the Arkansas Gazette for many years, gaining fame for his coverage of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

    Here is a biographical sketch supplied by longtime friend Jim Bailey, his colleague at the Gazette and now a reporter for the Democrat-Gazette:

    Orville Henry, born Feb. 19, 1925, died March 16, 2002.

    Joined the Gazette staff as a beginner in the sports department, at 17 in February or early March of 1942.

    Became Gazette sports editor on an interim basis in September of 1943, at 18, after sports editor Ben Epstein was hired by the New York Daily Mirror. (Epstein soon distinguished himself as New York Yankees beat writer.) In a few months, Orville was told by managing editor Clyde Drew that he had the sports editor's job on a permanant basis. World War II was going full blast, and Orville was physically exempt from military service because he was underweight.

    In those days, the Gazette (and the Democrat) sports sections rarely had more than 10 columns of space daily and about 3 or 4 pages on Sundays. After the war, Orville gradually built a sports staff. By 1950, he had added Wilbur "Bill" Bentley, a wandering veteran who had served previous hitches with the Gazette in the 1920s and early 1930s -- he had been sports editor immediately before Epstein, who took over about 1935. Bentley served OH's staff as a desk man, columnist, and occasional reporter. Charles "Chuck" Miller came in from a Beaumont paper as a desk man (primarily) in 1951. But Orville's early staffs always had two or three young "part-timers" -- part-time in payroll status but not in hours worked.

    He'd find likely prospects coming out of high school, employ them while they attended Little Rock Junior College (now UA-Little Rock) and send some of them on to UA-Fayetteville to work as correspondents while they finished college. This system, which functioned to some extrent from the 1940s to the beginning of the 1970s, produced at least five future Associated Press reporters -- Adrian Cooper, the late Tom Dygard, Bill Simmons, Robert Shaw, Harry King. Dygard, Simmons and Shaw became AP bureau chiefs. Several others -- Pat Hogan, Eddie Best, Ron Robinson, Brenda Sisson, James Thompson -- went on to successful careers in public relations or advertising. Jerry Dhonau eventually became a Gazette editorial writer; Jim Standard was later a Daily Oklahoman investigative reporter and editor. All came out of OH's on-the-job development program.

    Orville was with the Gazette 47 years, 1942-1989; with the Democrat (and Democrat-Gazette), 1989-96; with Donrey Media from 1996 until the time of his death. That was 60 years total.

    He was elected to the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in 2001, the first print journalist honored, after receiving an earlier meritorious service award from the Hall of Fame organization. In votes conducted by the National Sportscasters and Sportwriters Association, he was elected Arkansas sportswriter of the year eight times: 1959-60-62-63-64-65, '69. He was recently named recipient of the Ernie Dean Award for journalistic contributions, and named the Arkansas Alumni Association's Honorary Distinguished Alumni of the Year. He was a past president of the American Football Writers Association.

    Starting with the Jan. 1, 1955 Cotton Bowl game, Arkansas vs. Georgia Tech, he covered every Razorback football game except two until illness forced him to miss some in the 2000 season. The game that broke the string was the Georgia game in Fayetteville. The two he missed in that 45-year stretch were the final two regular season games of 1964, SMU and Texas Tech, when he was hospitalized while Arkansas completed its first perfect regular season since 1909. He was back in action for the Cotton Bowl game against Nebraska that made Arkansas 11-0 and won it some citations as national champion.

    He always claimed golf as his favorite sport. Many people considered him the best golf writer in the country, although of course his enduring public image was of the man who wrote thousands of words about the Razorbacks each week -- especially weeks in which they played a game.

    In Frank Broyles' autobiography, published in 1979, Broyles wrote that Orville "understood game strategy and players' psychology and fans' psychology in a way that was almost unique for a sportswriter." In the book, he also answered critics who complained Orville had a "special pipeline" into the Razorbacks' operation.

    "He did; it was called a telephone," Broyles wrote. "He called and asked and I told him. He worked hard at staying on top of his job."

    Paul "Bear" Bryant once remarked that Orville covered Arkansas more completely "from 200 miles away" in Little Rock than most writers could on campus. Eventually, Orville did move to Fayetteville in 1983, and later moved to Malvern in 1993.

    Beano Cook of ABC-TV and now ESPN said years ago that Orville had written more about the Razorbacks than "Carl Sandburg did on Abe Lincoln."

    Orville grew up on the western edge of Little Rock "when it was still out in the country;" the family home was approximately where part of Park Plaza Mall is now. He caddied at Fair Park (War Memorial) and occasionally worked in concessions at what is now called Ray Winder Field.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-29-2013, 03:40 PM.


    • David Miller


      David Miller is a British writer and journalist based in Wimbledon, London.

      David Miller has contributed to many publications including the magazines Film Review, TV Zone and Starburst (where his work includes interviews with Sir Ian McKellen, Tom Baker and Ray Harryhausen).

      Until 2007 he was editor of the UK-based horror genre magazine Shivers. He then became editor for the last few issues of The Poirot Collection, a partwork which presented the Agatha Christie's Poirot television episodes. He is currently editor of The Agatha Christie Collection partwork for Chorion, which brings together and presents the newer episodes of Poirot and Marple; the 1983 series Partners in Crime, and Agatha Christie film adaptations such as the Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple films and the all-star adaptations of The Mirror Crack'd, and Murder On The Orient Express.

      David Miller co-wrote the book They Came From Outer Space! with Mark Gatiss (of The League of Gentlemen), and is author of The Complete Peter Cushing; an overview of the life and works of the actor Peter Cushing. This was originally published as The Peter Cushing Companion.
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-22-2013, 07:14 PM.


      • William Louis Nack---AKA Bill Nack

        Born: February 4, 1941, Chicago, IL
        Died: Still Alive

        Illinois sports writer;
        Attended University of Illinois


        BILL NACK (sports writer)
        William Nack, a Skokie native, attended the University of Illinois as an undergraduate from 1959 through 1964, graduating with a BS from the College of Communications. His senior year, he served as sports editor of the Daily Illini under editor-in-chief Roger Ebert. The following school year, he served as the DI's editor-in-chief while a graduate student.

        Nack left Illinois in 1966 to join the US Army, where he served as assistant editor of Infantry Magazine at Fort Benning in Columbus, GA, then on the staff of Gen. William C. Westmoreland in Vietnam. He rotated home in the spring of 1966.

        Nack then worked as a reporter at Newsday newspaper on Long Island, where he covered politics, government and the environment. In the Spring of 1972, he jumped to covering thoroughbred horse racing---his hobby and passion since working around horses as a kid---and later wrote the biography of 1973 Triple Crown winner Secretariat. Disney Studios will begin producing a movie based upon it later this summer. Nack will be a consultant on the project. He also wrote a biography of the brilliant and ill-starred filly Ruffian, who died of injuries suffered in a 1975 match race. An award-winning ESPN movie about her life made its ABC-TV debut a year ago. He was also the consulting producer of that film.

        In 1979, after 11 years at Newsday, Nack began a 23-year career at Sports Illustrated Magazine, covering a wide variety of sports and subjects. Since his retirement as a senior writer at Sports Illustrated, Nack has done freelance work for Time Magazine, GQ, S.I., and Aside from consulting on film, he has worked as a writer and on-camera host and narrator for the pilot of proposed series "Unsettled Scores." The pilot, which debuted last summer, has been nominated for an Emmy Award®. Nack has also worked to write profiles of major sporting figures for use on ESPN television, serving as on-camera narrator and host, upon their demise. These also run, in expanded form, on

        Nack has won seven Eclipse Awards, the racing industry's equivalent of the Oscars®, for excellence in turf-writing, as well as the A.J. Liebling Award, given by the Boxing Writers Association of America, for general excellence in his coverage of that sport.
        Most recently, Nack has just finished serving as guest editor for Houghton-Mifflin's annual sports anthology, "Best American Sports Writing 2008."

        He is married to educator Carolyne Starek and lives with her and Milton, the millennium cat, in Washington, DC.
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-23-2013, 08:58 PM.


        • Paddy Downey

          Born: August 29, 1929, Goleen, Ireland
          Died: March 4, 2013, Ireland, age 83

          Irish sports writer;
          Gaelic Echo, editor, (1950's)
          Irish Times, deputy sports editor, (Sunday Review), November, 1957
          Gaelic Games, correspondent, 1962 - 1994

          Father: Patrick; Mother: Johanna Walsh;

          Paddy Downey:The death last Monday of Paddy Downey breaks perhaps the final link with the generation that pioneered modern newspaper coverage of Gaelic games in the 1960s. Widely respected for the quality of his writing and his scrupulous fairness, he was also personally popular because of his charm, courtesy and conviviality.

          His passing also marks the final departure of the journalists who established the annual All Stars awards scheme for football and hurling in 1971.

          Within The Irish Times he was an important figure as the person who, encouraged by amongst others Douglas Gageby and his great friend Donal Foley, brought about radically improved coverage of the GAA at a time when the newspaper was moving more into the mainstream of Irish life and building circulation.

          He also had a wide interest in other areas, including arts and politics, and was regarded as an authority on the works of Patrick Kavanagh, whose poem In Memory of My Mother was read at his funeral.

          A supporter of Dr Noel Browne, Paddy Downey was canvassed to stand for Browne’s party of the late 1950s and early 60s, the National Progressive Democrats. Unable to raise the £100 deposit, his career maintained its by then established trajectory in sports journalism.

          Born on August 29th, 1929, to Patrick and Johanna (née Walsh), Paddy Downey spent his childhood in Toormore, a townland near Schull in west Cork. By his early teens he was big enough, more than 6ft tall, to enlist with the LDF, the forerunner of the FCA, even though well below the age limit. But his ambitions to make a military career – his father had been in the RIC – were shattered when at the age of 14 he was struck down by polio.

          Formal education became impossible but long periods spent in hospital made him an avid reader, while a broad interest in sport – he was a cricket enthusiast having been introduced to the game by his mother’s family, who were from Inistioge in Kilkenny – gave him a particular fondness for sports writing.

          He came to Dublin as a young man in the early 1950s and loved the city. In later years he would always dispute the stereotype of the decade as dreary and dull, as he had found life there thoroughly enjoyable, socialising in the journalists’ pubs and artistic haunts of the time.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-07-2013, 05:04 PM.


          • Lewis Edwin Marsh---AKA Lou Marsh

            Born: February 17, 1879, Campbellford, Ontario, Canada
            Died: March 4, 1936, age 57,---d. cerebral hemorrhage.

            Toronto sports writer;
            Toronto Star, 1894 - 1936, (copyboy, junior reporter, reporter, columnist, assistant sports editor, sports editor (1931 - 1936] )

            Lewis Edwin "Lou" Marsh (February 17, 1879 – March 4, 1936) was a Canadian athlete and referee, and one of the pioneers of sports journalism in Canada, working at the Toronto Star for 43 years.

            Marsh was born in Campbellford, Ontario and lived there until the age of nine, when he moved with his family to Toronto. At 14, in the first year after the launch of the Toronto Star, Marsh walked into the newspaper's office responding to a want ad and was hired as a copyboy. He rose to junior reporter, reporter, columnist (With Pick and Shovel was the name of his long-running column), assistant sports editor under W. A. Hewitt, and finally, in 1931, sports editor. He held that position until his death in 1936.

            As an athlete, Marsh's first love was sailing, and through his life he played a wide variety of sports. At the age of 21 he became interested in rugby, and played with some of the top teams in Toronto, including the Toronto Argonauts.

            Marsh was said to be a top-notch sprinter, once defeating Canadian and Olympic champion Robert Kerr in a 120-yard hurdle race. He became a supporter of Tom Longboat and accompanied him to the 1908 Summer Olympics in London.

            In May 1914, Marsh was aboard the first passenger airplane flight out of Toronto, taking off from Toronto and flying to Hamilton, Ontario and back. Around this time, he is said to have swum across the Niagara River from Lewiston, New York to Queenston, Ontario.

            Marsh was one of the top boxing and hockey referees of his era. He also worked as a referee in professional wrestling. During a match in Toronto in 1921, Marsh surprised the wrestlers after 30 minutes of showmanship by telling them that it was time to stop their exhibition and wrestle a real contest. He brought a similar attitude to his work as a boxing referee where, over the course of thousands of bouts, Marsh wasn't reluctant to demand action from the fighters. He was a referee in the National Hockey League, and saw action in Stanley Cup playoff games.

            During World War I, Marsh was an officer in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, enlisting with the 180th (Sportsmen) Battalion, CEF in 1916. He briefly served in France before being sent back to Canada after being diagnosed with heart problems. He rose to the rank of major while serving in the military.

            While in his 40s he was advised by doctors to stop working as a referee. Marsh's final appearance in the NHL was in the 1929 playoffs. In the late 1920s, he developed an interest in racing small outboard hydroplanes, which he called sea fleas. One of the most successful sea flea racers in Toronto was future Toronto Maple Leafs owner Harold Ballard.

            When professional wrestling started coming to Toronto on a weekly basis in 1929, Marsh told readers right from the start that the matches were exhibitions and not real contests. In 1935, he coined the term sportive entertainment to describe professional wrestling—a term that in a slightly modified form would come to prominence fifty years later. One of his closest friends was Toronto wrestling and boxing promoter Jack Corcoran.

            In 1931, he succeeded Hewitt as the Star's sports editor after Hewitt accepted a job as the first attractions manager of the new Maple Leaf Gardens. Marsh became an avid fisherman and hunter in his 50s, and made a return to officiating as a hockey referee at the 1932 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York.

            Marsh died unexpectedly at the age of 57 in 1936 of a cerebral hemorrhage. The following day, the Star devoted 11 pages to coverage of his life and accomplishments, starting with a banner headline on page one. Before the end of the year, the Lou Marsh Trophy was created and named in his honour. It has been presented to Canada's top athlete each year since then. He is buried at Park Lawn Cemetery in Toronto.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-03-2013, 12:15 AM.


            • John Rafferty


              British sports writer;

              Staffordshire University,

              John Rafferty has more than 30 years experience in journalism and allied trades covering a wide range of specialist interests, including sport. He champions the reporter in practice, in his research and in his teaching focus.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-23-2013, 01:05 PM.


              • Zander Hollander

                Born: July 29, 1931,
                Died: October 3, 2006, Washington, DC, age 75,---d. respiratory failure at Sibley Memorial Hospital. Buried: Oak Hill Cemetery, Washington, DC.

                Washington, DC, sports writer;
                Attended City College,
                Attended Queens College,
                Graduated University of Michigan, 1953
                WWII, Army Air Force correspondent
                New York Wolrd-Telegram & Sun, sports writer,
                Washington Post, sports writer, April 23, 1962? - January 21, 1973

                Father: Herman; Wife: Phyllis Rosen; Daughter: Susan Leigh;

                He lived in the District of Columbia from 1993-2002, as well as Millerton, NY, Arlington, VA. He had earlier lived in New York City and Baltimore, MD.

                Washington Post obituary,
                Zan Hollander; Covered European Cities for UPI
                Zander "Zan" Hollander, 75, a former reporter with United Press International and an export control specialist with the U.S. Department of Energy, died Oct. 3 of respiratory failure at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He was a resident of the District and had been hospitalized for a hip fracture. He had co-authored sports publications with his wife, Phyllis.

                ----------------------------New York Times, May 27, 1951, pp. 60.
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-07-2013, 10:38 AM.


                • Richard Jay Schaap---AKA Dick Schaap

                  Born: September 27, 1934, Brooklyn, NY
                  Died: December 21, 2001, New York, NY, age 67,---d. complications following hip replacement surgery

                  Sports announcer / writer / author;
                  Freeport Leader (NY), sports writer,
                  Nassau Daily Review-Star (NY), sports writer,
                  Attended Cornell University (Ithaca, NY),
                  Newsweek, assistant sports editor,
                  Sport magazine, editor, 1973 -

                  Richard Jay Schaap (September 27, 1934, in Brooklyn, New York – December 21, 2001, in New York City, New York) was an American sportswriter, broadcaster, and author.

                  Early life and education
                  Born to a Jewish family and raised in Freeport, New York, on Long Island, Schaap began writing a sports column at age 14 for the weekly Freeport Leader, but the following year he moved to the Nassau Daily Review-Star daily under Jimmy Breslin. He would later follow Breslin to the Long Island Press and New York Herald Tribune.

                  He attended Cornell University and was editor-in-chief of the student paper, the Cornell Daily Sun, during which time he defended a professor before the House Un-American Activities Committee. He lettered in varsity lacrosse playing goaltender. During his last year at Cornell, Schaap was elected to the Sphinx Head Society. After graduating in 1955 he received a Grantland Rice fellowship at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and authored his thesis on the recruitment of basketball players.

                  Schaap is the cousin of Phil Schaap and father of author Rosie Schaap and sports/news journalist Jeremy Schaap.

                  Schaap began work as assistant sports editor of Newsweek. In 1964, he began a thrice-weekly column covering current events. He became editor of SPORT magazine in 1973. It was there that he masterminded the inspiration for the eccentricities that surround Media Day at the Super Bowl. Fed up with the grandiose and self-important nature of the National Football League's championship match, he hired two Los Angeles Rams players, Fred Dryer and Lance Rentzel, to cover Super Bowl IX. Donning costumes inspired by The Front Page, "Scoops Brannigan" (Dryer) and "Cubby O'Switzer" (Rentzel) peppered players and coaches from both the Pittsburgh Steelers and Minnesota Vikings with questions that ranged from clichéd to downright absurd. Schaap was also a theatre critic, leading him to quip that he was the only person ever to vote for both the Tony Awards and the Heisman Trophy. He interviewed non-sports figures such as Matthew Broderick and produced cultural features for ABC's overnight news program World News Now.

                  After spending the 1970s with NBC as an NBC Nightly News and Today Show correspondent, he moved to ABC World News Tonight and 20/20 at ABC in the 1980s. He earned five Emmy Awards, for profiles of Sid Caesar and Tom Waddell, two for reporting, and for writing. In 1988 he began hosting The Sports Reporters on ESPN cable television, which in later years often featured son Jeremy as a correspondent. He also hosted Schaap One on One on ESPN Classic and a syndicated ESPN Radio show called The Sporting Life with Dick Schaap, in which he discussed the week's developments in sports with Jeremy.

                  He wrote the 1968 best-seller Instant Replay, co-authored with Jerry Kramer of the Green Bay Packers, and I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow... 'Cause I Get Better-Looking Every Day, the 1969 autobiography of New York Jet Joe Namath. These led to a stint as co-host of The Joe Namath Show, which in turn led to his hiring as sports anchor for WNBC-TV. Other books included a biography of Robert F. Kennedy; .44 (with Jimmy Breslin), a fictionalized account of the hunt for Son of Sam killer David Berkowitz; Turned On, about upper middle-class drug abuse; An Illustrated History of the Olympics, a coffee-table book on the history of the modern Olympic Games; The Perfect Jump, on the world record-breaking long jump by Bob Beamon in the 1968 Summer Olympics; My Aces, My Faults with Nick Bollettieri; Steinbrenner!, a biography of mercurial New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner; and Bo Knows Bo with Bo Jackson. His autobiography, Flashing Before My Eyes: 50 Years of Headlines, Deadlines & Punchlines, was reissued under Schaap's original title "Dick Schaap as Told to Dick Schaap: 50 years of Headlines, Deadlines and Punchlines."

                  Schaap died on December 21, 2001 in New York City of complications following hip replacement surgery that September. Schaap's final regular TV appearance was on the September 16, 2001 broadcast of The Sports Reporters on the Sunday following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C. That weekend all major American college and professional sporting events had been cancelled, and Schaap and his panelists discussed the diminished role of sports in the wake of the tragedy.

                  In 2002, Schaap was posthumously honored by the Associated Press Sports Editors, who awarded him the Red Smith Award. Also in 2002, he was inducted into the Nassau County Sports Hall of Fame, which created the Dick Schaap Award for Outstanding Journalism.

                  Bobby Fischer
                  Around 1955, Schaap befriended Bobby Fischer, who was at the time a twelve-year-old chess prodigy, and would later became a world chess champion. In 2005, prompted by questions posed by Schaap's son, Jeremy Schaap, Fischer acknowledged that the relationship was significant and that the elder Schaap had been a "father figure" to him. Fischer was still pointedly resentful that Dick Schaap had later written, among many other comments, that Fischer "did not have a sane bone left in his body".

                  The Sports Emmy division of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences renamed their writing category "The Dick Schaap Outstanding Writing Award." The 2005 Emmy in this category was won by Jeremy for a SportsCenter piece called “Finding Bobby Fischer.”
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-02-2013, 04:50 PM.


                  • Scott Young

                    Born: April 14, 1918, Cypress River, Manitoba, Canada
                    Died: June 15, 2005, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, age 87

                    Toronto sports writer;
                    Toronto Globe and Mail, columnist
                    Toronto Telegram, sports editor,

                    In his autobiography, Scott Young explained he became a sports writer purely by chance. “Lucky chance, I’ve always thought.”
                    Lucky indeed. Lucky for everyone.

                    It was December 1936.
                    From a copy boy in Winnipeg to a national columnist and popular author, Young covered everything from the 1937 Winnipeg Maroons in baseball’s Class D Northern League to Canada-Russia hockey in 1974.

                    A lot happend in between. And a lot like life, sports was just a part of it.
                    Journalism took Young into the Second World War where he was a correspondent for The Canadian Press. He covered the Kennedy assassinations and Winston Churchill’s funeral. Royal visits, politics. Young has done it all.
                    Several generations of Canadians have grown up reading Scott Young. Reading his books, reading his columns, and reading more of his books. Three of his books popular with youngsters are still available from McClelland and Stewart in $3.95 paperbacks: Scrubs on Skates, Boy on Defence and A Boy at the Leafs’ Camp.

                    He has made hockey come alive for young and old readers. A member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, one wishes he was still writing about the NHL. He probably would have some interesting things to say today.
                    Thanks to his Hockey Night in Canada work, he became synonymous with hockey. He has been honoured for that by being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

                    Born April 14, 1918, in Cypress River, Manitoba, Young began his journalism career at the Winnipeg Free Press.

                    “Reporters today, with degrees in everything from journalism to law, wouldn’t recognize the way into journalism that shaped my life and the lives of others,” he wrote in his autobiography A Writer’s Life. “I worked six nights a week from six till two in the morning.

                    “If anyone wanted a paste pot cleaned, or a page of a story rushed to the city desk or a sandwich from across the street at the Spoon Luincheonette, he (it was always a ‘he’ in those days) simply called ‘Boy’ and I ran.”
                    Told the only way he would ever get published was to go find stories, Young did exactly that. And he has yet to stop.

                    He was a columnist with the Toronto Globe and Mail and sports editor for the Toronto Telegram.

                    His work spans seven decades, earning honours ranging from a National Newspaper Award and Eclipse Award for thoroughbred writing to an honorary doctorate. A school is named after him in his hometown of Omemee, Ontario.

                    His career took him to the Olympic Games, the Kentucky Derby, the Grey Cup and the World Series. He has chronicled Cassius Clay, Conn Smythe, Punch Imlach and Leo Cahill, to name a few.
                    He is a fast writier. He credits the national wire service for that.

                    Young once quit The Canadian Press when the Toronto Star doubled his salary, offering him $47.50 a week. He found the work dull, however, and asked to return to CP.
                    The wire took him back, at $37.50. Another CP bargain.

                    His words literally speak volumes. And they usually tell a good tale. They are always well-chosen.

                    He called the late CP general manager Gil Purcell a “master of the one-two punch, a whack in the teeth followed by a pat on the back.”

                    When long-serving Toronto Maple Leafs publicist Stan Obodiac died, Young recalled how he served during the tumultuous times at the Gardens.
                    “He was never guilty, as some of us were, of throwing gasoline on the flames. Both sides were his friends and he served the institution with intense loyalty.”
                    Neil Young, Scott’s son, has made his own name. Asked once to name his favourite writer, he replied simply: “My father.”
                    Many would agree. (Neil Young was a member of the rock bands, Buffalo Springfield & 'Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young'. Some of their hits were: Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Teach Your Children, Our House.)
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM.


                    • James Thomas Kelley, Jr.---AKA Jim Kelley

                      Born: October 26, 1949,
                      Died: November 30, 2010, Erie, NY, age 61,---d. pancreatic cancer at Buffalo General Hospital (NY).

                      Buffalo (NY) sports writer;

                      James Thomas "Jim" Kelley, Jr. (October 26, 1949 – November 30, 2010) was a professional sports news columnist from South Buffalo. His 30-year career focused primarily on the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League, and the greater Buffalo area. He started covering the Sabres in 1981 for The Buffalo News, and also went on to cover the Stanley Cup Finals for 23 straight years. He pursued other media besides newspaper writing. He originated the weekly "Hockey Night in Buffalo", as well as "Sharpshooters" on WNSA with partner Mike Robitaille. From time to time he continued to contribute various hockey articles to and His experience and knowledge of hockey led The Hockey News to proclaim him in 2002–03 as one of the "100 People of Power and Influence in Hockey."
                      Kelley was a regular co-host on Prime Time Sports, a columnist for Sports Illustrated,[4] and wrote a hockey column for; he continued writing columns for Sportsnet up until his death, with his final column being published the day of his death.

                      Kelley was a three-time president of the Professional Hockey Writers Association. He also won the 1994–95 New York State Publisher's Award for Sports Writing Excellence, and was named one of the top five hockey writers in North America by ESPN. He was chosen as a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame Media Selection Committee, and a Staff Consultant to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan. In 2004, Kelley earned one of hockey's highest honors, receiving the Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award, and induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame. One year later, he was inducted into the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame.He will also be inducted into the Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame on January 1, 2011.

                      Hašek incident
                      One of the most notorious moments of Kelley's career came in the 1996–97 NHL season, while he was covering the Buffalo Sabres' first round playoff series against the Ottawa Senators. After Sabres goaltender Dominik Hašek claimed to be injured with a knee pop in Game Three of the series, Kelley wrote a column the next day that accused Hašek of having "poor mental toughness." After Game Five of the series, Kelley approached Hašek for an interview. When he saw Kelley, Hašek unexpectedly yelled at him, pushed him and subsequently ripped his shirt off. He later issued a formal apology to Kelley, and was suspended three games and fined $10,000 for his actions.

                      Battle with cancer
                      In his column on Christmas Eve 2009, Kelley revealed that he was battling pancreatic cancer. He died at age 61 at Buffalo General Hospital on November 30, 2010. Earlier that morning at 1:30 a.m. (EST), he filed his final column for The subject was the Toronto Maple Leafs' status on the two-year anniversary of the hiring of Brian Burke as its general manager.
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-24-2013, 09:09 AM.


                      • Ines Sainz Gallo de Perez---AKA Ines Sainz

                        Born: March 18, 1978, Queretaro, Mexico
                        Died: Still Alive

                        Mexican sports writer;

                        Inés Sainz Gallo de Pérez (March 18, 1978) is a Mexican journalist for CNN en Español also for Azteca Deportes, hosting the Spanish-language sports interview program DxTips (or, Deportips). Sainz and her husband, who reside in Mexico, own the production company that created the show. Sainz works in the English language as a boxing match hostess.

                        Sainz grew up in a family of three siblings in Mexico City, Mexico, all of them brothers, one her twin. Although Sainz was an athletic tomboy active in a number of sports (she became a black belt in taekwondo at the age of 14, competing in national competitions) Sainz's mother, a homemaker, wanted her to be more feminine, and encouraged her to enter professional modeling, which she did, shooting commercials for such companies as Bacardi, Hoteles Misión, and Telcel.

                        Sainz graduated with a licenciatura en derecho ("bachelor in law") degree from the Universidad del Valle de Mexico in Querétaro and a masters in tax law from the Universidad Autónoma de Querétaro. Her father was likewise a lawyer. Additionally, Sainz obtained a graduate degree in sports business administration. Moving from modeling to television sports reporting, Sainz married Mexican television producer Héctor Pérez Rojano and they have three children, María Inés, Eduardo and Hector. Sainz remained an active participant herself in such sports as football, swimming, volleyball, basketball and tennis.


                        Public image
                        In 2010, TV Azteca's website's featured photo galleries of her as well as an article in its "Bad Girls" section extolling her as a woman of intelligence and humor, illustrated by a photo of her modeling a swimsuit. Likewise, during the 2000s, Sainz appeared on the cover of such Spanish-language magazines as Revista Gente y la Actualidad, H Para Hombres, Maxim, and Esquire Mexico. Prior and during the 2010 World Cup, pictures of Sainz were featured on such places as Bleacher Report and the websites run by Sports Illustrated and Men's Health. Sainz was chosen by the magazine FHM as the fifth sexiest woman sports reporter in the world in August 2009.

                        Sports reporting
                        Sainz has interviewed, among others, tennis players Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, basketball players Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal, baseball players Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez and association football players Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Zinedine Zidane, and Lionel Messi. By July 2006, Sainz had covered three Champions League tournaments and four NBA Finals, the 2004 Athens Olympics and the 2006 World Cup. As of 2009, Sainz had covered six Super Bowls, the first, Super Bowl XXXVI in 2002. In January 2009, promoting American football stars to a Mexican audience, Sainz ran an informal biceps competition during the Super Bowl XLIII "media day," awarding her "Strongest Right Arm" award to the Arizona Cardinals' defensive end Antonio Smith. According to the Palm Beach Post, at the 2007 Super Bowl's "media day," Sainz was photographed as often as Peyton Manning; and according to The Daily Telegraph, she was "besides Manning, the single-most popular person on the premises." During a period when Terrell Owens was not speaking with the press in 2008, it was only Sainz who was able to gain an exclusive interview with the wide receiver.

                        Boxing promotion company Top Rank hired Sainz to conduct pre-event reports and interviews and offer ringside commentary for the Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito World Super Welterweight Championship bout in Arlington, Texas on November 13, 2010. Sainz co-hosted broadcast commentary for the March 12, 2011 Miguel Cotto vs. Ricardo Mayorga bout.

                        In 2010 the TV Azteca reporter sought an interview with NY Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez, and she had been standing on the sidelines during practice when Jets players and coaches appeared to throw footballs in her direction. Later, as she waited in the locker room to conduct an interview with Sanchez, she was reportedly the target of lewd comments from players and staff. She tweeted in Spanish: "I'm so uncomfortable! I'm in the Jets locker room waiting for Mark Sanchez and trying not to look around me." And a few moments later, she wrote, "I want to cover my ears." Media persons reported that team members made "catcalls and rude comments". According to Sainz, it was "the rest of the media start to hear the different kind of things that I didn't hear." She accepted a personal apology from Jets owner Woody Johnson when those incidents became known to him.

                        In the immediate aftermath of the incident, Sainz lost a contract to be the spokesperson for a Mexican bank, which she said was "very painful" for her; however, she said that the publicity resulting from the event also led her to become "the most popular journalist right now in Mexico and Latin America."
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-27-2014, 08:20 AM.


                        • Harold Joseph Tuthill

                          Born: February 4, 1906, St. Louis, MO
                          Died: June 14, 1988, St. Louis, MO, age 82,---d. heart ailment

                          St. Louis sports writer;
                          St. Louis, MO, 4-year old, (April 16, 1910 census)
                          St. Louis, MO, 13-year old, (January 30, 1920 census)
                          St. Louis, MO, newspaper, reporter, (April 5, 1930 census)
                          St. Louis, MO, newspaper, sports writer, (April 17, 1940 census)
                          St. Louis Post-Dispatch, sports writer, 1924 - 1971, (47 years)

                          Father: Joseph Harold Tuthill, born Chicago, IL, May 10, 1885, died January 25, 1957; Mother: Ethel M., born Massachusetts, around 1890; Wife: Lily, born Ireland, around 1908; Daughter: Carol, born Missouri, around 1936;

                          His father, Harry Joseph Tuthill, was an well-known cartoonist, best known for his comic strip, The Bungle Family. He was born Joseph Harold Tuthill in Chicago, IL, May 10, 1885, and died January 25, 1957.

                          Joseph Harold Tuthill---AKA Harry J. Tuthill

                          Born: May 10, 1885, Chicago, IL
                          Died: January 25, 1957, St. Louis, MO, age 71,---d. heart ailment at St. Joseph Hospital (St. Louis, MO)

                          St. Louis cartoonist;
                          Chicago, IL, 15-year old, (June 9, 1900 census)
                          St. Louis, MO, Dairy worker on Dairy, (April 16, 1910 census)(listed Jos H Tuthill)
                          St. Louis, MO, St. Louis Star (newspaper), cartoonist, (September 12, 1918, WWI Civilian Draft Registration)(listed Harry Joseph Tuthill)
                          St. Louis, MO, newspaper cartoonist, (January 30, 1920 census)(listed Harry J Tuthill)
                          St. Louis, MO, newspaper, cartoonist, (April 5, 1930 census)(Harry J. Tutshill)
                          Ferguson, MO, News Syndicate, cartoonist, (April 8, 1940 census)
                          St. Louis Star, cartoonist, 1918
                          St. Louis Post-Dispatch, cartoonist, ? - 1945

                          Father: born New York; Mother: Mary, born Louisiana, October, 1861; Wife: Ethel M., born Massachusetts, around 1887; Son: Harold Joseph, born St. Louis, MO, February 4, 1906, died June 14, 1988, St. Louis, MO;

                          Harry J. Tuthill (1886–1957) was an American cartoonist best known for his comic strip The Bungle Family.
                          Born in Chicago, Illinois, he grew up in the tenements and worked as a newsboy, quitting when a tough guy muscled in on his corner. At age 15, he traveled the midwest, finding employment with a foot surgeon, selling baking powder, patented eggbeaters and pictures, plus working as a medicine show barker in a street carnival. As he recalled, he left "to work on and at such things as selling enlarged pictures, soliciting for a corn doctor, and for one delirious season carrying on with a medicine show. I would not mention these things except that I feel what may be a pardonable pride in their diversity."

                          During his late teens, he settled in St. Louis, Missouri, where he was employed for $10 a week as a foreman at the St. Louis Dairy, where he washed milk cans for seven years.

                          By the age of 30, he still had not sold any cartoons. Finding encouragement on his artwork from Bob Grable of World Color Printing, he worked for the St. Louis Star and then moved to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He took night classes at Washington University, studying engineering and art, and signed on as a full-time cartoonist with the St. Louis Star during World War I, doing a strip titled Lafe about a lazy handyman, and attracting national attention for his editorial cartoons.

                          Comic strips
                          In 1918, Tuthill launched Home Sweet Home, a strip about apartment life, in the New York Evening Mail. During the six-year run, it introduced George and Josephine Bungle, and he retitled it as The Bungle Family in 1924. Distributed initially by the McClure Syndicate and later by the McNaught Syndicate, the strip was carried by 120 newspapers. Comics historian Rick Marschall praised Tuthill's work, "Seldom has there been a strip (Moon Mullins comes to mind) registering a sustained, masterful indictment of petite-bourgeois sensibilities and preoccupations as did The Bungle Family."

                          He also drew Alice and Her Bothersome Little Brother and Napoleon Blunder during the 1920s. Little Brother ran as a topper strip to The Bungle Family. Tuthill’s strips from 1919 to 1926 were created in his home studio at 4537 Tower Grove Place in St. Louis, eventually moving to Ferguson, Missouri outside St. Louis. His sister, Irene Morrisson, also lived in the St. Louis area.

                          Tuthill continued to draw The Bungle Family for McNaught until he had a dispute with the syndicate in 1939, which no longer carried the strip in 1942. After a hiatus, the strip returned May 16, 1943, with newspapers running a promotional banner, "The Bungles Are Back!" The final two years were syndicated by Tuthill himself until 1945 when he retired. He died of heart disease in 1957.

                          His son, Harold Tuthill, who worked for 47 years as a St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports writer, died of a heart ailment in 1988 at the age of 82.

                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary, February 6, 1957, pp. 30.
                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-29-2013, 09:55 AM.


                          • Ralph Augustus Graves, Jr.---AKA Ralph Graves

                            Born: October 17, 1924, Washington, DC
                            Died: June 10, 2013, Manhattan, NY, age 88,---d. at home of kidney failure.

                            Washington, DC, managing editor;
                            Washington, DC, 5-year old, (April 24, 1930 census)
                            Attended Williams College,
                            WWII, Army Air Force,
                            Attended Harvard University,
                            Time, Inc., 1948 - (researcher for Life,
                            Time-Life, news bureau (San Francisco office),
                            Life (Chicago office), bureau chief, senior editor of all Time Inc.'s magazines

                            Father: Ralph Augustus, Sr., born Georgia, around 1883 (National Geographic magazine, editor); Mother: Elizabeth Evans, born Michigan, around 1896; Wife 1: Patricia Monser; Wife: Eleanor MacKenzie Parish; Daughter: Sara Savage; Daughter: Katherine Venooker; Son: William; Son: Andrew;

                            New York Times' obituary, June 15, 2013
                            Ralph Graves, a former writer, editor and executive at Time Inc. who as the last managing editor of the weekly Life magazine strove to keep an American institution afloat in its turbulent final years, died on Monday at his home in Manhattan. He was 88.

                            The cause was kidney failure, said his wife, Eleanor.

                            Mr. Graves joined Time Inc. in 1948, as a researcher for Life, and his career there described a steady upward arc. Among other posts he was a reporter in the Time-Life news bureau in San Francisco, Life’s Chicago bureau chief and a senior editor for all of Time Inc.’s magazines.

                            He became Life’s managing editor, taking over its daily operations, in May 1969. Life, which Time began publishing in 1936, was one of a number of general-interest magazines — among the others were Look and The Saturday Evening Post — that both informed and entertained large numbers of Americans throughout the 1940s and ’50s. Life, in particular, with its emphasis on photography, was said to be the country’s chief source for learning what the world looked like.

                            But by the late 1960s general-interest magazines, squeezed by television on the one hand and specialty publications on the other, were an endangered species. Life’s circulation was 8.5 million when Mr. Graves took over; a year and a half later it was 5.5 million, despite a strong run of journalism.

                            Within weeks of becoming managing editor, Mr. Graves supervised a controversial issue whose cover article, under the headline “The Faces of the American Dead in Vietnam: One Week’s Toll,” showed photographs of more than 200 American soldiers killed in the Vietnam War from May 28 through June 3.

                            The article was especially startling appearing in Life, which had a history of supporting the war, and it drew a passionate reaction, both from those who found that it exploited the country’s grief and from those who found it courageous and moving. As a journalistic device, it has since been used by many publications, including The New York Times.

                            That same year, 1969, Life covered Woodstock, the moon landing (with a more than 20,000-word article by Norman Mailer) and the unlikely success of the Mets. The next year, Life published unauthorized reminiscences by the former Soviet premier Nikita S. Khrushchev that the Soviet government newspaper said were fraudulent. Experts on Khrushchev consulted by the magazine declared the manuscript legitimate.

                            In 1971, Mr. Graves and Life were victims of a genuine fraud after Clifford Irving, a relatively unknown writer, with the aid of a researcher, created a phony memoir of the reclusive industrialist Howard Hughes and sold it to McGraw-Hill. Life bought serial rights and was set to publish three 10,000-word installments when the hoax came to light. In 1972, Life published an account by Mr. Graves of the whole embarrassing affair.

                            “I was an active participant in everything that happened,” he wrote in a 2010 memoir, “The LIFE I Led.” “I spent substantial time with Clifford Irving himself, some of it at crucial moments. I was also the biggest single fool in the shipload of fools at McGraw-Hill and Time Inc.”

                            Ralph Augustus Graves was born on Oct. 17, 1924, in Washington. His father, Ralph, who died when his namesake son was a boy, was an editor for National Geographic. His mother, the former Elizabeth Evans, later married F. B. Sayre, who became an American official in the Philippines, and young Ralph spent part of his childhood there.

                            Mr. Graves attended Williams College for a year before serving as a cryptographer for the Army Air Forces during World War II. After the war, he went to Harvard and joined Time Inc. after graduating.

                            Mr. Graves was the author of several books, both nonfiction and fiction, including the novel “Orion: The Story of a Rape” (1993), which was based on the rape of his daughter Sara in 1983. The novel tells of the crime and the victim’s participation, with the police, in tracking down her assailants.

                            Mr. Graves’s first marriage, to Patricia Monser, ended in divorce. He married Eleanor MacKenzie Parish, an editor at Life, in 1958. She survives him, along with his daughters, Sara Savage and Katherine Venooker; two sons, William and Andrew; two stepsons, William and Alexander Parish; and 11 grandchildren and step-grandchildren.

                            By the time Life published its final issue on Dec. 29, 1972, it had lost a reported $30 million in four years, though inside the company Mr. Graves remained an admired figure. After the weekly Life ceased publication, he held jobs in Time Inc.’s magazine and television divisions. Life continued to appear in special issues and was subsequently revived for a time as a monthly and later as a Web site.

                            “The wreck had been inevitable before he took the wheel, possibly long before,” Loudon Wainwright wrote in his 1986 history of Life, “The Great American Magazine.” He added: “Most people who knew the situation would have agreed that Graves, in fact, did better under rotten conditions than any other plausible candidate would have done. He had been courageous, honest, hardworking and very steady.”

                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------With Vineyard Gazette artist, Ray Ellis.

                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------with wife, Eleanor.
                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-03-2013, 07:36 PM.


                            • Richard Clair Clarkson---AKA Rich Clarkson

                              Born: August 11, 1932, Lawrence, KS
                              Died: Still alive

                              Midwest Photo-Journalist;
                              Coffeyville, KS, 9-year old, (April 12, 1940 census)
                              Topeka Capitol-Journal (KS), director of photography, 1956 - 1981
                              National Geographic magazine, Director of Photography, 1985 - 1988
                              Denver Post (CO),
                              Rich Clarkson and Asociates LLC, Denver, CO, (his own company), 1988 - present

                              Father: Chester C., born Missouri, around 1888; Mother: Anna, born Missouri, around 1886;

                              Rich Clarkson is a Denver, Colorado-based photographer. Rich owns the photography and publishing company Rich Clarkson and Associates, LLC. Clarkson is a former Director of Photography at the National Geographic magazine and was a contract photographer for Sports Illustrated magazine for several decades starting in the 1970s through the 1990s. His photographs have appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated over 30 times. He hired and mentored several photographers who have gone on the achieve world renown. Clarkson has organized the top-tier Summit series of photography workshops for over 20 years. His company handles all championship photography for the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association). In 2007 the journalism school at the University of Kansas awarded the William Allen White Medal to Clarkson for his lifetime achievements.

                              Rich's initial claim to fame was his great sports photography. His specialty has always been sports photojournalism. He got started very early in life. By the time American runner, Jim Ryun, came along, Rich was ready with his camera. Since Jim came from the same Kansas town as Rich did, Lawrence, KS, it was a natural alliance. Rich was all over Jim's career. When Track and Field senior editor, Cordner Nelson wrote Jim's biography in 1967, Rich provided all the tons of fantastic photos, and is credited on the cover. Rich was such an inspiration to Jim, that he studied photojournalism at the University of Kansas, largely due to Rich's influence.

                              Known mostly for his pioneering sports shooting, our Photography Person of the Year also has spent half a century as a photojournalist, an editor and a mentor for the next generation of aspiring photographers.
                              By his own admission, he's no athlete, but Rich Clarkson holds a sports record unlikely to be broken soon: he has just photographed his 50th NCAA college basketball championship. He shot his first back in 1952, and hasn't missed one since 1960. Along the way, Clarkson's pictures have helped redefine the way we look at sports.

                              The Final Four is just one facet of a remarkable career with roots reaching back to the 1940s and still running full-throttle today. At 72, Clarkson is a photography dynamo, busy with a demanding shooting and teaching schedule. He also runs Rich Clarkson and Associates (, his Denver-based company that handles book publishing, manages the photo duties of the NCAA championships and two national sports franchises, and mounts a series of highly regarded photography workshops every year. As both a mentor and a colleague, Clarkson has exerted a powerful influence on many of the top professionals working today.

                              Over his career, Clarkson also has photographed several Super Bowls, nine Olympiads, and innumerable other events. However, he's convinced that the best pictures don't happen only at the big pro games. "There are so many sports photographers today that would give their left arm to be on the sidelines at the Super Bowl," he says. "Well, that won't necessarily ensure that there's going to be any great pictures that come from it."One of the workshops that Clarkson and his company stage every year is on sports photography. "You're going to get better pictures and going to learn more, by going to a sandlot baseball game or a high school basketball game, because you'll have access," he tells his participants, often young, early-career photographers.

                              Each year, PhotoMedia recognizes a person in the industry who has best demonstrated "exceptional artistic and business accomplishments, photographic passion, devotion to the industry, inspiration to colleagues and humanitarian achievements in the community." For his dedication to the above ideals and his commitment to photographic education through his workshops, PhotoMedia is proud to honor Rich Clarkson as our 2005 Photography Person of the Year.

                              Right place, right time
                              Born in Lawrence, Kan., in 1932, Clarkson recalls that his first passion was airplanes. At the age of 10, with a box camera borrowed from his mother, Clarkson took aerial photos from the passenger seat of a Piper Cub. He reproduced those pictures in a mimeographed aviation newsletter he published on an ongoing basis with a few like-minded friends. In an entrepreneurial effort extraordinary in one so young, Clarkson solicited editorial contributions from a "Who's Who" of the aviation industry, including World War I ace Eddie Rickenbacker, at the time president of Eastern Airlines. He also met and interviewed Orville Wright. Clarkson kept the publication going for two and a half years, with some 40 subscribers. It was an endeavor that seemed to uncannily predict some of his ventures half a century later.

                              In high school, Clarkson's interest in photography grew, and he eventually became the school's in-demand photographer. Because the town was the home of the University of Kansas, the big events in Lawrence were college sports. "By the time I was a senior in high school," Clarkson says, "I was photographing the KU basketball games for the Kansas City Star, the Topeka Daily Capital and the Lawrence Journal-World." He continued as a stringer through his own years at KU, where he majored in journalism.

                              Although he says that he was terrible at sports himself, Clarkson was drawn to the spectacle of athletics. "It's one of the great places that you can photograph drama and see the human culture and people questing for excellence," he observes. "And, you know, it's a lot less fatal than covering wars."

                              In 1952, he asked Kansas coach Forrest C. "Phog" Allen if he could ride to away games on the Jayhawks bus, and Allen agreed. Soon, Clarkson was accompanying the players not only on the bus but on planes and trains, traveling and rooming like a member of the team.

                              As luck would have it, that year Kansas made it to the NCAA national championships (not yet known as the Final Four). In Seattle that spring, they bested St. John's to win it all. It was the school's first NCAA title, and Clarkson was there to capture the moment. Later that evening, as the other press photographers were busy developing their pictures under deadline, his was the lone camera around to record NCAA executive director Walter Byers presenting the trophy to Coach Allen, who kissed it in gratitude.

                              Clarkson discounts the chance aspects of such events. "As they say, you make your own luck," he observes laconically, in a voice that still reveals his heartland roots.

                              A different kind of picture
                              Although he undeniably has taken his share, Clarkson deflects attempts to distill in words what makes a great sports picture, pointing out that it's a multifaceted category. "Sports entails everything from portraiture, to reportage, to great action pictures, to very stylized approaches, to essays," he notes. "It's all different kinds of things. So there is no one thing that makes a great sports picture because there are 14 varieties of great sports pictures."

                              Over the years, Clarkson has proved to be a master of them all. In fact, it can be argued that he invented a few. In 1956, while still a student at the University of Kansas, Clarkson photographed the 7-foot-1 Wilt Chamberlain shooting, dunking, rebounding — every pose he could think of to visually convey the KU rookie's dominating height. Unsatisfied with the results, Clarkson finally sat Chamberlain in a folding chair, bending to tie his shoe.

                              Shot from a low angle, the portrait in chiaroscuro black-and-white revealed the future star's outsized proportions better than any action picture could. Clarkson hopefully mailed off a few prints to a new magazine he'd heard about. Sports Illustrated snapped them up, inaugurating a long and fruitful relationship.

                              A few years later, at the 1964 NCAA championship, Clarkson sold Sports Illustrated a photo that, in a way, helped modernize the technique and look of sports photography. Instead of strobes, he used a telephoto lens and Tri-X film pushed to 1200 to utilize the available light and capture UCLA's Walt Hazzard threading his way through a thicket of Duke defenders. The magazine chose the resulting image for its cover, Clarkson's first.

                              Although the approach would become common practice in time, Clarkson knew that he was onto something exciting. "No one was much doing that at the time. This was the kind of transition out of the Speed Graphic and Rolleiflex era into 35mm," he says. "Most everyone just kind of gave up on what was going on at the other end of the court."
                              Since then, Clarkson estimates that he's shot more than 50 Sports Illustrated covers, but has lost the exact count.

                              Then, there's the rarefied kind of sports picture that transcends the genre. For the 1966 Final Four, Clarkson captured a glimpse of college sports, and America, in transition. Number three Texas Western squared off against the top-ranked University of Kentucky Wildcats. The meeting was especially significant in that the Texas Western squad started five black players; the Wildcats, coached by Adolph Rupp, were strictly white. Texas Western triumphed that day, 72-65, but the image that's most remembered is not of the jubilant victors. Rather, it's Clarkson's stark tableau of the dejected Kentucky bench — players, cheerleaders and coaches — looking stunned in defeat that endures.

                              Knowing the story behind it, it's hard for a viewer not to read into the picture more than just the loss of a basketball championship. Clarkson has described the moment as "the basketball equivalent of Brown vs. Board of Education."

                              More than just sports
                              Impressive as his sports-related achievements are, Clarkson points out that there's much more. "Sports is one-twentieth of what I've done in my career," he explains. "It's what people know me more for, but that's not the main thing I've done in photography." He's equally proud of his work editing, managing and teaching. Clarkson has worked for the Denver Post and spent 23 years at the Topeka Capital-Journal managing the photography department, work that he found greatly satisfying. He also has freelanced steadily for Time, Life and other magazines. For seven years, he served on the adjunct faculty of the University of Kansas School of Journalism.

                              While managing the photo department at the Lawrence Journal-World, Clarkson hired a high school senior named Bill Snead as an assistant, in 1954. Snead started out by mixing chemicals in the lab, honing his craft under Clarkson's demanding tutelage.

                              "He was tough," Snead recalls. "A son-of-a-gun to work for. With Clarkson, you learned by watching him. He might tell you later, ‘You should've moved that light closer, or you could've tried this,' but he wouldn't tell you more than one time."

                              The two would work together for several years, moving on at the same time to the Topeka Capital-Journal, where Snead credits Clarkson for cultivating a photo team reckoned among the top 10 in the country. Snead's own career would later take him to the Washington Post, National Geographic and other postings. Now the senior editor back at the Journal-World, he is still in contact regularly with his mentor. "Anything that I've ever achieved," Snead says, "it all goes back to him."

                              National Geographic hired Clarkson in the mid-1980s as its director of photography. Among photo jobs, many consider this the world's sweetest plum, but Clarkson found himself bogged down with managerial duties and isolated from most hands-on involvement with picture-taking and photographers.

                              Then, in 1987, Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Brian Lanker approached Clarkson with a compelling proposal: help him produce a series of photo portraits celebrating black American women — the influential, the famous and the unsung — each accompanied by a brief essay and biographical information.

                              Clarkson had worked with Lanker at the Topeka Capital-Journal and considers him "one of the genius photographers in America." He was delighted to collaborate, and set about securing funding and coordinating other resources.

                              The project, I Dream a World: Portraits of Black Women Who Changed America, blended history, art, literature and social commentary. "We conceived it at the very start as being an exhibition of pictures for major art museums, and not just a book," Clarkson remembers. "We had an amazing opening at the Corcoran [Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.], in which we had 72 of the 75 women in the book there for the opening. We had everyone from Odetta to Oprah. Everyone in Washington still talks about that opening."

                              "I Dream a World" hit a home run, spawning not one but two exhibits in Washington and two traveling versions that ran for six years. The book itself has gone through 17 printings, with sales of some 550,000 copies, making it one of the best-selling trade coffee table books ever.

                              The experience reinvigorated Clarkson. "Managing that whole project and making all of those things happen, I said, ‘Gee, I think I'll leave National Geographic to do that.'" Friends and colleagues were surprised, to say the least, but Clarkson's response was, "Well, would you like to sit at my desk for a week?" He was much happier to be working directly with pictures and photographers again.

                              At about the same time, the NCAA invited Clarkson to help produce a book and series of exhibitions on the Final Four. It was then that he began to realize the potential for a business producing high-quality photo books and related exhibits, and formed Rich Clarkson and Associates in Denver.

                              Now employing a staff of 10, the firm continues its book-packaging and publishing activities, and, among other clients, exclusively handles photography and publishing for the Colorado Rockies baseball team, the Denver Broncos football team and all of the NCAA's 93 national championship events.

                              Learning from the best
                              Clarkson also is the prime mover behind a series of prestigious photography workshops. The spring and fall Digital Photography at the Summit workshops in Jackson, Wyo., and the summer Sports Photography Workshop in Colorado Springs, Colo., harness the teaching expertise of the cream of modern photography. In addition to Clarkson, faculty have included Life and Sports Illustrated veteran Bill Eppridge, New York Times sports picture editor Brad Smith, International Wildlife Photographer of the Year Tom Mangelson, Time magazine picture editor MaryAnne Golon and former National Geographic editor-in-chief William L. Allen.

                              For working professionals and serious aspirants, the quality of instruction at the workshops is impossible to beat. More important, says Clarkson, is the opportunity to network. "These are the people who actually commission photography, who are looking for talent," he notes, and he's proud to describe a number of book contracts, exhibitions and assignments that were conceived and incubated at the workshops.

                              A further attraction at the workshops is the participation of sponsor representatives, including those from Nikon, Apple, Epson and Adobe, who offer technical advice and provide workshop students with the opportunity to try out their very latest equipment and software.

                              Peer review and critiques from the teaching teams offer participants valuable feedback. At the conclusion of each Spring Summit, too, a selection of student photos is printed, matted and framed, to be showcased at a public opening in one of the local galleries. "The work is always astounding," Clarkson says. "Just beautiful."

                              Recently, Clarkson also launched a pair of workshops, called Capture the Season, in the spring and fall. Conducted at and around the Four Seasons Resort Jackson Hole, these weeklong conclaves — designed for dedicated, and well-heeled, amateurs — are as much about cosseted relaxation as they are about photography, although the instruction and the digital equipment provided are nothing less than top-notch. Indeed, Clarkson notes, the very best teachers in the world eagerly vie for the chance to share their knowledge while roughing it at the Four Seasons.

                              More to come
                              An early adopter of digital technology, Clarkson nevertheless retains a loyalty to film. "There is no one lens, or piece of equipment, that's right for everything," he says. "For the past couple of years, I've probably used the digital Nikons more than any other piece of equipment. I have been using a D100, and have a D70 now, and got a new D2X," but he still occasionally reaches for his Leica or Hasselblad.

                              These days, pursuing his passion with the zeal and vigor of a man one-third his age, Rich Clarkson betrays no hint of intending to slow down. At a point in his career when one might reasonably sit back and take a deep breath, Clarkson's to-do list is jaw-dropping: new books, exhibits and other projects that incorporate photography in innovative ways. He describes each upcoming venture with such enthusiasm that you'd think it was his first big assignment.

                              Brian Lanker doesn't expect Clarkson to slow down. "I think it's his innate interest in storytelling. I don't think he'll ever really get tired of telling stories. He's always motivated by what's happening in the world and in the news, and I think that I've taken a little piece of that from him. He's continually stimulated, and he'll be going at it hammer and tongs till he's dead. It's not something that goes away; it's so innate and so important to him."Bill Snead puts it even more succinctly: "A simple way of saying it is that it's his life."

                              Clarkson worked as director of photography for 25-years at the Topeka Capital-Journal where he started the careers of such noted photographers and editors as Brian Lanker, Chris Johns, David Alan Harvey, Sarah Leen, Jim Richardson, Susan Biddle, Mark Godfrey, and David Griffin. He also was a contract photographer for Sports Illustrated for 25 years, assistant managing editor of The Denver Post, and president of the National Press Photographers Association.

                              Some examples of Rich's superior quality work. Three of Jim Ryun, one of champion diver, Greg Louganis.

                              Rich and Jim Ryun in 1967. Along with Jim's coach, Bob Timmons, Rich was one of the shaping influences for young Jim.
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-27-2014, 08:30 AM.


                              • Robert S. Lyons, Jr.---AKA Bob Lyons

                                Born: June 29, 1939, Philadelphia, PA
                                Died: June 5, 2013, Upper Southampton, PA, age 73,---d. heart disease

                                Associated Press sports writer;
                                Philadelphia, PA, 9-months old, (April 2, 1940 census)
                                Graduated La Salle University, 1961
                                La Salle University information director, 1962
                                Associated Press, sports correspondent, 1976 - 2011
                                President of own editorial-services / public relaions, 1995 - 2013

                                Father: Robert J., born Pennsylvania, around 1917; Mother: Catharine, born Pennsylvania, around 1917; Wife: Joan Lang; Daughter: Joanne; Son Robert P.; Son: Dave; Son: Greg;

                       obituary, June 11, 2013, BY JOHN F. MORRISON, Daily News Staff Writer
                                Robert S. Lyons Jr., 73, sportswriter, author, public relations consultant, La Salle University official.

                                BILL FLEISCHMAN might have put it best: "Bobby Lyons was a genuine Philly sports guy."

                                Like many Philadelphia sportswriters, past and present, Bill Fleischman, longtime Daily News sports correspondent and auto-racing reporter, knew and respected Bobby Lyons as a consummate professional, yet one who never called much attention to himself.

                                He was a sports reporter for the Associated Press and the old Evening Bulletin, author of several highly regarded books on different aspects of sports, former sports-information officer for La Salle University, head of its news bureau and operator of his own public-relations company.

                                Sometimes, the swirl of events that every sportswriter has to deal with threatened to engulf those assigned to deal with it, but there was Bobby Lyons in the midst of it all, a sea of calm.

                                Robert S. Lyons Jr., whose genuine concern for friends, family and the young people whom he mentored charmed all who came in contact with him by his gentlemanly conduct, died Wednesday of heart disease. He was 73 and lived in Upper Southampton, Bucks County.

                                "He was a class act and consummate professional," said Drew McQuade, Daily News assistant sports editor. "Bob was the righthand man for the AP's Ralph Bernstein at Eagles games for decades, and in the middle of the chaos that followed those deadline adventures, Bob was always the calm one.

                                "Besides that, he was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet."

                                "He was an old-time gentleman, a professional and a real good guy," said Daily News sportswriter Mike Kern. "You will never hear anybody say a bad word about him. In the sportswriting fraternity, we're really going to miss him. He was as much a friend as a colleague."

                                Jim DeStefano, Daily News sports copy editor, got to know Bobby when Jim was a senior at La Salle and Bob was director of the news bureau and teaching courses in journalism, public relations and advertising.

                                "He took the kids under his wing," Jim said. "He always had time for the kids. He really cared about what he did."

                                And Jim, who donated a lot of work hours helping out at the news bureau, is grateful for the fact that Bob helped get him a full scholarship for his final semester.

                                "He loved Philadelphia," said Bob's son Rick Lyons. "He loved the sports teams. He was a great father. He led us; he didn't push us. He was always fair and even-keeled. Family came first with him."

                                Jack Scheuer, longtime Associated Press sportswriter, agreed. "I've known him for 40 years," he said. "An even-keeled, all-around nice person. Got along with everybody. Was very conscientious about his work, and loved sports and his family."

                                Bob was the author or co-author of some well-received books. He wrote Palestra Pandemonium: A History of the Big 5, and On Any Given Sunday: A Life of Bert Bell.

                                He worked with Ray Didinger, Comcast SportsNet football analyst and former Daily News and Evening Bulletin sportswriter, on the highly regarded book The Eagles Encyclopedia, published by Temple University Press in 2005.

                                Ray said Temple approached him about doing the Encyclopedia, but he said he would need a collaborator, and that was when Bob Lyons was suggested. Ray knew Bob and was enthusiastic about the partnership.

                                "It would never have gotten done without Bob," Ray said. "He immersed himself in the Encyclopedia. He was excited about it. He was so reliable that if he said he would have a chapter done by 9 a.m., I would turn on my computer at 9 a.m. and there it would be.

                                "Bob was just a total gentleman," Ray said. "He was a delightful guy."

                                While researching the Encyclopedia, Bob became fascinated by the life of Bert Bell, National Football League commissioner from 1945 to his death in 1959, and co-founder and co-owner of the Eagles.

                                Bob wrote a chapter in the Encyclopedia about Bell, then expanded it to the book. Bell's son, Upton Bell, onetime executive with the Baltimore Colts and now a talk-show host on WCRN in Worcester, Mass., said, "For two long years, Bob Lyons, the detective, the great researcher, would work with tireless fury to find out everything he could about Bert Bell and bring it to life.

                                "Bob Lyons was part of a generation that got up every day and did the job and never complained," Bell said.

                                Bob was born in Philadelphia, the son of Robert and Catharine Lyons. He graduated from Northeast Catholic High School in 1957 and La Salle University in 1961. He went to work for La Salle the next year as its first sports-information director.

                                Bob was public-relations consultant for Abington Township for a time, and was a Democratic committeeman in the 23rd Division of the 50th Ward in Philadelphia from 1964 to 1971.

                                He was a sports correspondent for the AP for more than 35 years, retiring in 2011.

                                Bob had been president of his own editorial-services and public-relations firm since 1995, providing professional services to a variety of organizations, including the AP, La Salle, Brandywine Global Investment Management, Merrill Lynch, Princeton University and WHYY-TV, among others.

                                Besides his son, he is survived by his wife, the former Joan Lang; a daughter, Joanne Jenkins; three other sons, Robert, Dave and Greg; and 11 grandchildren.

                                Services: Funeral Mass 10 a.m. tomorrow at Our Lady of Good Counsel in Southampton. Friends may call at 9 a.m. Burial will be in St. John Neumann Cemetery, Chalfont.
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-03-2013, 07:08 PM.


                                Ad Widget