• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Robert Pitchforth Patton---AKA Robes Patton

Born: May 21, 1959,
    Died: September 28, 1998, Boca Raton, FL, age 39,---d. at home, 18 months after a brain tumor.

Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, sports writer, 1986 - 1998
    Graduated Birmingham HS (Nan Nuys, CA),
    Graduated Brigham Young University, 1983
    Scottsboro Daily Sentinel (AL),

Father: Robert; Mother: Nancy; Wife: Kim; Son: Ian; Son: Jamel; Daughter: Adrienne;

Well they built the Titanic to be one of a kind, but many ships have ruled the seas

They built the Eiffel Tower to stand alone, but they could build another if they please
    Taj Mahal, the pyramids of Egypt, are unique I suppose

But when they built you, brother, they broke the mold
    When they built you, brother, they turned dust into gold

When they built you, brother, they broke the mold
    They say you can't take it with you, but I think that they're wrong

'Cause all I know is I woke up this morning, and something big was gone

But love is a power greater than death, just like the songs and stories told

And when they built you, brother, they broke the mold
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-03-2013, 01:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Arlen Fred Cervelli

Born: June 22, 1933,
    Died: May 29, 2013, Austin, TX, age 79,---d. at home.

Texas sports editor;
    Graduated Baylor University,
    Orange Leader, sports editor, 1962 -
    Moved Austin, 1972

Wife: Marie; Daughter: Charisa; Son: Rhett;

Fred Cervelli, 79, once a leading sports writer in Texas and former public relations director of the Texas AFLCIO passed away peacefully in his home on May 29, 2013. Fred was a 30 year resident of Orange, Texas before moving to Austin in 1972.

Cervelli was educated with honors in journalism and leadership at Baylor University. In 1962 he was named Sports Editor of The Orange Leader. He was chosen Sports Writer of the Year by the Texas High School Coaches Association in 1963.

Prior to his career in organized labor, Cervelli served as general manager of the Texas football teams that played Pennsylvania in the Big 33 All-Star Classics at Hershey, PA. in the mid 1960s. Texas won three of the four games in that series with Bobby Layne as head coach.

Before taking the journalism post for labor in 1962, Fred was an officer at Local 195 and the Gulf Coast District Counsel of Plumbers and Pipefitters.

As editor of Texas Labor's monthly magazine that had a readership of 400, 000, Cervelli won two national awards and a special achievement honor from civic groups. He and his wife were chosen to be part of a goodwill mission to Israel in 1977 where they met with Prime Minister Golda Mier and other dignitaries.

He is survived by his loving wife, Marie; his daughter, Charisa and his son Rhett all of Austin. On April 7, 2013, Fred and Marie celebrated 50 years of marriage. Marie was his constant companion and caregiver who selflessly gave her time, love and devotion throughout his life. Fred was preceded in death by his parents Opal and Barney Cervelli.

Visitation will be held at Claybar Funeral home in Orange, Texas, 409/886-4445, Saturday June 1, 2013, from 1:00-2:00pm with services at 2:00pm. Interment will follow at Forest Lawn Memorial Cemetery. Fred was known by his many friends and family to always have the perfect blessing, poem or quote. One of his favorites by Henry David Thoreau was "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    David T. Coffin

Born: June 26, 1944, Salt Lake City, UT
    Died: November 18, 2011, age 67,---d. cancer, at Community Hospital.

sports writer;
    US Air Force,
    Attended Monterey Peninsula College
    CSU Northridge

Monterey Herald (Monterey, CA), 1958 - 2013

Father: Edward; Mother: Patti;

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Jill Jackson---AKA Alice Schwartz (birth name)

Born: October 29, 1912, New Orleans, LA
    Died: September 8, 2010, New Orleans, LA, age 97,---d. in Beverly Hills, CA.

Reporter / sports writer / TV broadcaster / Syndicated Hollywood columnist;
    New Orleans, LA, 17-year old, (April 17, 1930 census)
    The Item (Sumter, SC)
    Times-Picayune (New Orleans, LA)
    Rider's Digest
    WWL Radio
    WWL-TV
    Holllywood syndicated columnist

Father: Albert F., born Louisiana, 1879?; Mother: Bella G., born Louisiana, 1890?;

WWLTV.com obituary, September 9, 2010, by Dominic Massa
    Jill Jackson, pioneering N.O. broadcaster, sports writer and Hollywood columnist, dies at 97

Jill Jackson, a reporter, pioneering female sportscaster and former WWL broadcaster whose New Orleans success led to a stint as a syndicated Hollywood columnist , died Wednesday in Beverly Hills. She was 97.

She was sidelined only recently by poor health, according to her cousin Loraine Despres, who said Ms. Jackson continued writing up until a few weeks ago. At her peak, her work for King Features Syndicate was distributed in 1,700 newspapers nationwide, including The Times-Picayune.

Ms. Jackson moved to California in 1960, after many years in local media, including stints at the Item, The Times-Picayune and Rider’s Digest, as well as announcing and hosting roles at WWL Radio and a brief stint on WWL-TV.

Her celebrity columns covered the glitz and glamour of Hollywood from an insider’s perspective, and led to her personal friendships with some of those she covered, including Joan Fontaine, Edward G. Robinson, Joan Blondell and Frances Marion, the Oscar-winning female screenwriter whom Ms. Jackson called her mentor.

A New Orleans native born Alice Schwartz, Ms. Jackson launched her broadcasting career in the 1940s, quite by accident. A talented athlete and Newcomb College graduate who played golf, tennis and several other sports, she was recruited by a Jax Beer sponsor to provide color commentary for a women’s golf tournament, alongside WWL star announcer Henry Dupre.

“I had been somewhat of a champ-about-town in golf, tennis, and ping-pong. When my back went bad and I could no longer play, Henry Dupre asked me to do the color with him on the broadcast of a women’s golf tournament,” Ms. Jackson wrote in her memoir, “Whaaaattt! And Leave Show Business!!!” published online by Tulane University’s Newcomb College for Research on Women.

She said the Jax Beer executive “heard me, liked what he heard, and put me on the air – that’s how it happened,” she wrote. The name of the sponsor – Jackson Brewing Company – also contributed her stage name, which she used for the rest of her life.

In print and on air, Ms. Jackson faced inevitable hurdles as a female in a male-dominated field.

“On my own show, I called all the shots, but when I became a member of the Sports and Special Events Staff, the boys were always assigning me to the things they didn’t want to do,” she wrote. “I was a female invading their sacred precincts. There was a preconceived notion that a woman should not broadcast news or sports. I argued that a brain has no sex, but they wouldn’t listen.”

When covering events at Tulane Stadium, Ms. Jackson said she was not even allowed in the press box, much less the locker rooms.

“I had to sit outside the press box, just below their hallowed confines, on an uncomfortable, back-less bench that was about a two-block walk to the ladies room. When it rained, there I sat, cold and wet, with papers blowing about,” she wrote.

Her cousin said that even the discrimination she encountered, Ms. Jackson never let the challenges keep her from doing what she loved.
    “I asked her recently, ‘Didn’t that make you furious?’ and she said that in spite of it all, she would have paid them for the opportunity to do what she loved,” Despres said.

She shared that sentiment with local writer Carolyn Kolb for a recent New Orleans Magazine profile.

"Don't be silly. I was having a ball. I loved every minute of it," she told Kolb, refuting any claims of her being a “feminist.”

Ms. Jackson later shifted from the sports beat to what she called “more ‘ladylike’ ventures” – shows like “Jill’s Hollywood,” a daily news and interview show featuring celebrities who visited New Orleans; “Let’s Join Jill,” a nightly interview show from Brennan’s Restaurant (where the Jackson salad was named in her honor); and “The Jill Jackson Show.”

In her memoir, Ms. Jackson recounts some favorite early celebrity interviews: Gene Kelly, Rita Hayworth, Jack Benny (whom she would accompany on art-shopping trips to the French Quarter), Liberace, Gary Cooper, Gloria Swanson, a young Elvis Presley and Harpo Marx.

Of Marx’s radio interview, she wrote, “I figured out a gimmick where I would ask Harpo a question and he could answer yes or no. One honk would be ‘yes.’ Two would be ‘no.' The broadcast went along, shall we say, honkingly.”

Ms. Jackson’s home is filled with photographs and mementoes from her long Hollywood career, said Stuart Berton, a family member who helped Ms. Jackson write her memoir.
    In time, Ms. Jackson would travel to Hollywood to interview celebrities on their own turf, recording broadcasts for WWL, beginning in 1946.

During one visit to a party at friend Frances Marion’s Hollywood home, Ms. Jackson met Hedda Hopper, the legendary Hollywood gossip columnist.

“I had always admired her, and wanted someday to be a syndicated columnist. Be careful what you wish for,” wrote Ms. Jackson, who soon became close friends and later a Hollywood colleague of Hopper.
    Ms. Jackson herself had bit parts in movies, among them "Madame X,” starring Lana Turner, and "Airport,” though her face was obscured by an oxygen mask and fellow flier.

“I have seen it at least five times in reruns. I have run the video, and stopped in spots where I thought I was -- AND I AM YET TO FIND MYSELF in Airport,” she joked in her memoir.

She had happier memories of a featured part in an episode of Jack Benny’s television show, playing – what else -- a reporter.
    Ms. Jackson is survived by three cousins, and a niece and nephew – Michael and Matt Berenson of New Orleans.
    There will be no funeral, according to Berton.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-01-2013, 03:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Dave Solomon

Born: March 24, 1952, Bronx, NY
    Died: August 6, 2011, New Haven, CT, age 59,---d. in a car crash on Intstate 91, in Middletown, NY.

Connecticut sports writer;
    Graduated University of Connecticut, 1974
    Hartford Times (CT), sports writer, November 24, 1973 - October, 1976
    New Haven Register, sports writer, October, 1976 - 2011

Wikipedia
    Dave Solomon (1952 – August 6, 2011) was a Connecticut sportswriter and newspaper columnist.

Originally from the Bronx, Solomon was graduated from the University of Connecticut in 1974. He was sports editor of the university's newspaper Daily Campus, and at the same time wrote for the Hartford Times. He moved to the New Haven Register in 1976, for which he covered sports for the next 35 years. Eventually he became a columnist, regularly contributing under the title I Was Thinking.

A member of the Pro Football Writers of America and the Baseball Writers Association of America, Solomon was honored by the Associated Press and the Society of Professional Journalists, and received the Bill Keish Award for media service to the Walter Camp Football Foundation.

Senator Joe Lieberman called Solomon a "Connecticut journalistic institution.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Michael Jay Ybarra

Born: September 28, 1966, Los Angeles, CA
    Died: June 30, 2012, Bishop, CA, age 45,---d. fell 200 to his death while solo rock-climbing Matterhorn Peak in Yosemite's Sawtooth Ridge, CA.

Journalist, author, adventurer;
    Graduated University of California, LA (UCLA), 1990, (B.A. political science)
    Los Angeles Times, 1988 - 1989
    Chicago Tribune
    Washington Post, 1990 - 1991
    Graduated University of California, Berkeley, 1992, (M.A. political science)
    New York Times, 1995 - 2004
    Wall Street Journal, extreme-sports correspondent, 2007 - 2012
    free-lance magazine articles,

Father: Eugene; Mother: Lillie Decker;

New York Daily News obituary w/photos, July 6, 2012, Friday, by Christine Roberts

Wikipedia
    Michael Jay Ybarra (September 28, 1966 – June 30, 2012) was an American journalist, author and adventurer. He was a non-fiction writer whose work appeared in various national publications. In 2004 his book Washington Gone Crazy: Senator Pat McCarran and the Great American Communist Hunt won the D.B. Hardeman Prize. It is an important historical work on McCarthyism. As the extreme sports correspondent for the Wall Street Journal, Ybarra wrote articles about outdoor adventure, providing the genre with a wider audience than it typically receives.

Life and career
    Born and raised in Los Angeles, CA Ybarra graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1990 with a B.A. in political science. It was during his undergraduate years at UCLA that he started writing professionally for the Los Angeles Times followed by the Chicago Tribune. During his brief stint at the Chicago Tribune he interviewed future President Barack Obama. After graduating from UCLA Ybarra moved to Washington, DC where he wrote for the Washington Post. He left when he decided to further his education. In 1992 he graduated from the University of California, Berkeley with a M.A. in political science.

Ybarra had a 25 year career as a journalist and author. He was a reporter for: the Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, the Washington Post, the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal. A prolific and diverse writer, he also contributed articles to The New Republic, Upside and Alpinist magazines. His story about Hurricane Katrina "The Long Road Back" for CIO Decisions magazine won a National Azbee Gold Award from ASBPE (American Society of Business Publication Editors) and a Bronze Tabbie Award for feature article. The piece he wrote for the Washington Post, "Activists Attest to Romania's Idea of Democracy" was entered into the Congressional Record at the request of Senator Ted Kennedy. Ybarra reported on a wide variety of topics and people such as: President Obama, Pulitzer-prize winning author Michael Chabon, Patagonia founder/climber Yvon Chouinard, novelist Norman Mailer, historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr, veteran climber Fred Beckey and television personality Bill Maher. He was the author of Washington Gone Crazy: Senator Pat McCarran and the Great American Communist Hunt (Steerforth Press).

In the early 1990s Ybarra began working for the Wall Street Journal as a staff reporter for the Journal's San Francisco bureau. It was during this period that Ybarra started researching and writing Washington Gone Crazy. The book was published by Steerforth in 2004 to much critical acclaim. Author, professor and CBS News commentator Douglas Brinkley wrote of the book "Esteemed scholar Michael J. Ybarra's Washington Gone Crazy-based on extensive new archival research-offers a fair-minded, and ultimately devastating, portrait of Nevada's notorious Cold Warrior. A truly landmark study." It was a finalist for The Los Angeles Times Book Prize, The New York Times Book Review listed the biography among the 100 Notable Books of the Year and was shortlisted for the Ambassador Book Award in American Studies. Washington Gone Crazy won the D.B. Hardeman Prize for the best book on Congress from the Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation. Award committee member Dr. H.W. Brands, the Dickson, Allen, Anderson Centennial Professor of History at The University of Texas at Austin, said Ybarra's work is "that rare book which has something really new to say on an old subject."

While on a trip to Peru in 2004, Ybarra took his first climbing lesson. He subsequently became an avid climber and adventurer. Ybarra traveled widely climbing and kayaking in such places as: Nepal, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Switzerland, Italy, Thailand, Mexico, Canada, Alaska, Montana, Utah and the Sierra Nevada. From 2007 until his death in 2012, Ybarra chronicled his adventures for the Wall Street Journal as its extreme sports correspondent.

Death and legacy
    Ybarra was killed on June 30, 2012 in a climbing accident on the Sawtooth Ridge in Yosemite, CA. Mr. Ybarra’s sister, Suzanne, said the family had reported him missing on Sunday after he did not return from what was supposed to be a two-day solo climb. His sudden death at the age of 45 was widely covered by the American and British Media. Upon Ybarra's death the Wall Street Journal released the following statement: "Michael Ybarra was an extraordinary journalist. In the best traditions of his profession he enlightened and engaged readers on a wide array of topics in clear, vivid prose....We mourn his passing, and send our thoughts and prayers to his family." As a writer, he left behind a large body of published work spanning more than two decades. A portion of Ybarra's personal collection of climbing books is housed at the California Institute of Technology in the Sherman Fairchild Library as "The Michael J. Ybarra Memorial Collection."
    -----------------------------------------------
    According to Marissa Christman, a climber who met Ybarra last fall and ascended Mount Whitney with the 45-year-old UCLA-UC Berkeley grad just a few days before the fatal climb at Sawtooth Ridge, he had embraced nature’s path:

Ybarra, who was unmarried and didn’t have children, was living mostly out of his car at the time of his death, traveling from area to area and writing to pay the bills, Christman said. “He was this person who sort of did what we call ‘living the dream,’” she added.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Henry W. Kozloski---AKA Hank Kozloski

Born: December 15, 1927, Plains, PA
    Died: May 21, 2013, age 85

Lorain (OH) sports writer;
    Plains, PA, 2-year old, (April 7, 1930 census)
    Reading, PA, 13-year old, (April 16, 1940 census)
    Moved Lorain, OH, 1939
    Graduated Lorain HS, 1945
    US military service,
    Graduated Ohio University (Athens, OH), 1953 (bachelor's degree in journalism)
    Morning Journal, sports editor, February 7, 1956 - 1964, beat writer, 1965 - December 31, 1991
    Cleveland Indians' beat writer, 1965 - 1982

Father: Walter, born Pennsylvania, 1897?; Mother: Mary, born Russia, 1903?;

LORAIN — Veteran Lorain sportswriter and newsman Hank Kozloski died yesterday at 85. He wrote for The Morning Journal for 35 years, serving as sports editor, Cleveland Indians and Browns beat writer and other roles before retiring in 1991. He also was among the founders of the Lorain Sports Hall of Fame.

Kozloski was probably best known as the newspaper’s Cleveland Indians beat writer from 1965 to 1982.

After leaving the Tribe beat, Kozloski also served as an official scorekeeper for the Cleveland Indians for 18 years.

Jim Ingraham, who succeeded Kozloski as Indians beat writer, said, “My lasting memory of Hank always will be how graceful and gracious he was as a person and how professional he was as a journalist. He didn’t need or seek praise or a pat on the back. For Hank, just knowing in his heart that he had done the best he could each day, that was enough. He influenced myself and many other writers who followed him into the business, and all of us will miss him greatly.”

Tom Skoch, editor of The Morning Journal, said, “We’ll miss Hank; he continued to visit The Morning Journal newsroom regularly right to the end. He was a dear friend and an inspiration to us all.”

Bob DiBiasio, senior vice president of public affairs for the Cleveland Indians, said, “When I started here in 1979, Hank was already a veteran beat writer, and he was terrific to me. He provided insight and guidance. He was one of those guys that was hard on the outside, but soft on the inside.

“He could be friends with the players, but also be very objective and walk that fine line with those guys every day. I have the utmost respect for Hank. As a young kid, he didn’t have to go out of his way to make sure this young PR guy wasn’t tripping over his own feet. We’ll miss him. He was a beautiful man,” DiBiasio said.

A tribute to Kozloski was to be shown on the Indians’ scoreboard at the Tribe’s home game with the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday evening, according to DiBiasio.

Kozloski helped found the Lorain Sports Hall of Fame in 1969 and went on to become the organization’s president in 1974, then to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame in 1996 and serve as a lifetime member of the board.

Neil Sommers, current president of the Lorain Sports Hall of Fame, said, “I’m saddened to hear of his passing Sommers added, “As a kid playing at Lorain High School, when I played ball I looked forward to reading Hank’s column on the Steelmen. He was instrumental in starting up the Sports Hall of Fame. He was one of the founding fathers, along with Jim Mahony and Paul Baumgartner.”

Steve Dury, a past president of the Lorain Sports Hall of Fame, said, “Hank was the epitome of a sportswriter. He did it all, from high school right up to the pros. He was THE guy.”

Harvey Herrmann, a Lorain Sports Hall of Fame board member, recalled, “The first time I came to town in 1964, he was a writer. I was coaching at Lorain High. I remember all the stories he could tell about Lorain sports and the people involved.”

“Five years ago, Hank was clearing things out of his house and he donated his Underwood typewriter that he’d pound away on. He also gave us an autographed picture of Bob Feller,” Herrmann said. “He was a treasure and an asset to this community for years and years.”

“Hank was definitely one of the giants of local journalism as far as sports is concerned. He certainly ranks as one of the all-time greats,” said Jim (Allen) Popiel, a local sports reporter for 43 years and a sports announcer for Elyria’s WEOL AM 930 radio. “I associate him with Jim Mahony and Paul Baumgartner. All three were very involved in their community. Hank certainly ranks as one of the all-time greats,” Popiel said.

“Hank was one of the charter members and founders of the Lorain Sports Hall of Fame and was instrumental in contributing to the organization with his background of athletic teams in the city and his experience as scorekeeper for the Indians,” said Bob Lesiecki, a board member of the Lorain Sports Hall of Fame. “Hank was chairman of our enshrinement banquet and was helpful in putting our program book together. I recall when Hank was a local sports writer for many years. He was a hands-on type guy as far as knowing teams and players, and he was an excellent writer from that standpoint. He’s been one of the rocks of our organization,” Lesiecki said.

Kozloski was highly regarded even outside the sports realm. A close friend, Karen Stipanovich, called Kozloski her “white knight.” She added, “I loved him more than anyone else except my daughter, Emma. I’ve known Hank for 30 years. He and my daughter and I went to different venues together. We were close friends. He ‘adopted’ my daughter as his granddaughter. He was my rock.”

A native of Plains, Pa., Kozloski was born Dec. 15, 1927, and moved to Lorain in 1939. At Lorain High School, he earned a varsity letter in football in 1944 and graduated in the Class of 1945-B. Kozloski enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in 1946 and served for three years, helping to train pilots to fly and navigate by instruments.

After military service, he attended Ohio University in Athens, graduating in 1953 with a bachelor’s degree in journalism. He went to work for newspapers in Lockport, N.Y., and Ashtabula. Then, on Feb. 7, 1956, Kozloski became sports editor for The Lorain Journal, later renamed The Morning Journal, where he remained in various sports and news positions until retirement in 1991.

He started covering Cleveland Indians and Browns home games in 1962. Then, in 1965, Kozloski was named the first full-time beat writer covering both the Indians and Browns for The Morning Journal and its sister newspapers, traveling with both teams on all their road games. In 1979, he transitioned to cover just the Indians. Kozloski also covered playoffs and World Series games from 1965 through 1982.

Kozloski was a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America and served as Cleveland chapter chairman four times. He once noted that in his two decades of covering the Indians, the Tribe’s managers included Birdie Tebbetts. George Strickland, Joe Adcock, Alvin Dark, John Lipon, Ken Aspromonte, Frank Robinson, Jeff Torborg and Dave Garcia.

In November of 1982, Kozloski moved from sports to general news coverage. His first non-sports story assignment was a big organized crime trial in Cleveland that lasted more than two months. He later covered news across this region, from Lorain and Elyria to Sandusky and Norwalk.

Kozloski retired Dec. 31, 1991, “after 35 years, 10 months and three weeks,” as he once wrote.

Funeral arrangements are pending.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-18-2013, 01:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Don Seeley

Born: September 24, 1950, Phoenixville, PA
    Died: June 26, 2013, age 62,---d. at Grand View Hospital

Pennsylvania sports editor;
    Pottstown Mercury (Pottstown, PA), sports editor, 1998 - February, 2013

Father: Samuel; Mother: Jane Bush;

Longtime Mercury Sports Editor Don Seeley died Wednesday morning while doing what he loved — playing golf.

He was 62 years old.
    According to friends who were with him, Seeley took ill at Lederach Golf Club and was taken by ambulance to Grand View Hospital in Sellersville.

Seeley retired as The Mercury’s sports editor in February, a post he held for 15 years. He continued to write for The Mercury, his byline appearing in Wednesday’s edition after covering the inaugural PAC-10 Senior Bowl boys lacrosse game Tuesday night.

For more than 32 years, Seeley’s coverage and perspectives on everything from wrestling to football to baseball (American Legion and otherwise) filled the pages of The Mercury.

His stories were clipped from the paper by proud parents and framed, or glued into scrapbooks while delighting, informing, inspiring and, in some cases, infuriating sports fans throughout The Mercury’s coverage area.

A native of Spring City, news of Seeley’s passing spread quickly throughout the community to which he devoted so much of his life.

Tributes and condolences crowded his recently-established Facebook page — as well as the Facebook and Twitter pages operated by The Mercury — as athletes, former athletes, sports writers, coaches and parents offered prayers and exchanged memories of a person who, most would agree, was hard to forget.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-17-2013, 07:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Walter H. Schumann, Jr.---205-20-3830

Born: August 9, 1926, Camden, NJ
    Died: May 11, 1989, Voorhees, NJ, age 62,---d. at West Jersey Hospital-Voorhees

Camden sports writer;
    Laurel Springs, NJ, 3-year old, (April 2, 1930 census)
    Merchantville, NJ, 14-year old, (April, 1940 census)
    Camden Courier-Post, sports writer,

Father: Walter H., born Pennsylvania, around 1900; Mother: Mary T., born Pennsylvania, around 1898; Wife: Lois

philly.com obituary, May 15, 1989, By Victoria K. Grigsby, Special to The Inquirer
    Walter Schumann Jr., Retired Sportswriter

Walter H. Schumann Jr., 62, of Voorhees, a sportswriter for the Courier- Post in Camden for 30 years, died Thursday at West Jersey Hospital- Voorhees.

Born in Camden, Mr. Schumann lived in Laurel Springs before moving to Merchantville, where he attended high school.

Mr. Schumann's wife, Lois, said her husband had been a sportswriter ever since high school. He continued writing while in college at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa.

Mr. Schumann wrote all kinds of sports, but the Courier-Post's sports editor, Bob Kenney, said the retired writer's real love was high school and ''off-beat" sports.

"He was a real champion of the underdog. He liked to write about sports that received little attention, like swimming, track and archery. Almost anything that came along, he found time for," Kenney said.

Mr. Schumann also liked to swim. He swam three times a week as treatment for a birth defect in his back.

Even after retiring three years ago, Mr. Schumann kept records and statistics for the newspaper. Kenney said that Mr. Schumann had an extensive collection of record books and that he did everything by hand because he distrusted computers.

"He was the ultimate conservative," Kenney said.

Mr. Schumann belonged to the Philadelphia Sportswriters Association and the New Jersey Sportswriters Association. He was inducted into the South Jersey Coaches' Hall of Fame shortly after he retired.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Schumann is survived by his sister, Doris S. Moore of Reading, Pa.; three nephews, Peter Orth of Putney, Vt., Andrew Orth of Philadelphia, Pa., and David Moore of Reading, Pa., and two nieces, Karen Iversen of Bend, Ore., and Ingrid Iversen of Berkeley, Calif.

Services will be private under the direction of the Bradley Funeral Home in Marlton.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Robert R. Black---AKA Bob Black

Born: November 11, 1944, Apollo, PA
    Died: January 7, 2012, age 67

Pennsylvania sports writer;
    Graduated Washington Township HS, 1962
    US Army, 4 years, 1962 - 1965
    University of Missouri (Columbia School of Journalism), 1968
    Pittsburgh Press, sports writer, 1968 - 1984
    Harrisburg Patriot-News (Harrisburg, PA), sports writer, 1984 - 2008 (24 years)

Former Patriot-News sportswriter Bob Black passed away suddenly Friday night at the age of 67.

Born and raised in suburban Pittsburgh, he spent five decades covering a myriad of sporting events in Pittsburgh and Harrisburg before retiring late in 2008 after 24 years with The Patriot-News.

“Bob was an eternal optimist. I met him the first day he arrived in Harrisburg from Pittsburgh as a jack-of-all trades,” said retired Patriot-News sportswriter Bob Hafer. “We old timers, joined by assistant sports editor Jim Carlson, stayed in touch through infrequent lunch dates as well as dinner dates with our wives. His former co-workers will miss his entertaining manner.”

There wasn’t much Black didn’t cover during his 40 years as a professional at the Pittsburgh Press, where he started his career in 1968 before coming to Harrisburg in 1984.

Some of Black’s fondest memories include covering Hall of Famers Tony Dorsett, Joe Montana and Dan Marino. He had the unique opportunity to cover Dorsett in high school, college and as a professional.

Black also patrolled the press box at Penn State football games for several seasons, covered the Stanley Cup in 1980, numerous bowl games and in 1993 was on hand for the Philadelphia Phillies’ quest for the World Series crown.

During his nearly quarter century with The Patriot-News, Black enjoyed educating the younger generation of writers with stories about interviewing legends such as Jesse Owens, Satchel Paige, Sonny Liston and Roberto Clemente.

“Bob had a distinguished career, first at the Pittsburgh Press and then here at The Patriot-News,” said Patriot-News Publisher and President John Kirkpatrick. “He interviewed many sports greats over the years as well as touched the lives of numerous area residents with his College Corner column.”

During his tenure at The Patriot-News, Black was instrumental in creating College Corner, which kept readers aware of how former midstate high school athletes were faring in college athletics. Black’s comprehensive coverage of local colleges led the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference in 2006 to award him the George Heaslip Media Award.

“He was a terrific journalist and an even better human being,” said former Patriot-News sports editor Nick Horvath Jr. “I think everybody he touched felt positive about knowing him. Bob was a real professional who was passionate about his craft.”

Born in Apollo in 1944, Black graduated from Washington Twp. High School in 1962, where he played football, basketball and track. He served four years in the U.S. Army before receiving an honorable discharge in 1965. It was during his military service where Black found his career passion. The last six months at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, Black was the editor of the Cadence newspaper.

After his discharge from the Army, he attended the prestigious Columbia School of Journalism at the University of Missouri. He graduated in 1968 and was almost immediately hired Pittsburgh Press Sports Editor Les Biederman to join the staff in his hometown.

“Bob was a serious guy. He liked to laugh, but only did so on certain occasions. He was serious about his work and his family. In fact, I believe his family was the most important to him. I know he was extremely proud of his son Jason, and when he married Marlene, he not only took her, but also her daughters and later a granddaughter into his heart,” said retired Patriot-News sportswriter Fred Sprunk. “Bob was able to see both sides of a story. He could cheer for the champion, but he had true empathy for the underdog too.

“He was generous to a fault. Bob would give you the shirt off his back, literally, and that was scary for those of us who had seen him shirtless. Although Bob worked at the Patriot-News for a couple decades after coming to us from Pittsburgh, we all knew he never really lost his affection for the Steel City and its sports teams.”

Black is survived by his wife Marlene, son Jason, step daughters Wendy and Renee and granddaughter Zoey.

There will be a viewing Thursday at 10 a.m. followed by an 11 a.m. service at Zimmerman-Auer Funeral Home, 4100 Jonestown Road.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Lenox D. Rawlings

Born: January 1, 1950,
    Died: Still Alive

Winston-Salem sports writer;
    Raleigh News & Observer,
    Greensboro Daily News,
    Atlanta Constitution,
    Winston-Salem Journal, sports writer, ? - December, 2012 (34 years)

It's hard to imagine anyone saying "Bleep you" to Rawlings, who retired in December after 34 years writing sports columns for the Winston-Salem Journal, where his work was must-read material for anyone remotely interested in the ACC. He previously worked in Raleigh, Greensboro and Atlanta.

A graduate of North Carolina, Rawlings never played favorites as he wrote about some of college ball's hottest rivalries, and he never shied from criticizing whoever and whatever deserved rebuke. That approach might have angered a few coaches and more than a few boosters. But Rawlings' way with words disarmed them and his honesty commanded respect. And it was just damn difficult to argue with his demeanor.

"An old-style, Southern gentleman," wrote the Salisbury Post's Mike London, who got Rawlings' style exactly right in one word: "Elegant."
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-16-2013, 09:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Mike Lopresti

Born: Indiana

USA Today sports writer; 1982 -

A national sportswriting landmark is what Lopresti's column has become in USA Today. Lopresti got his journalism start at his hometown newspaper, the Palladium-Item, while a high school student in Richmond, Ind., where he still lives. He worked for the P-I until joining the startup crew for USA Today in 1982. Atlanta will mark his 34th Final Four.

Hall of Famer and former longtime Gannett colleague Steve Wieberg tells a story that wraps Lopresti's gifts in a tight package. The Soviets had just defeated Team USA in the 1988 Olympics semifinals, their first meeting since the infamy of Munich '72. Lopresti had barely finished his game story for the news service when he was informed USA Today wanted a column from him, too – and, oh, he had 20 minutes.

Lopresti tapped out the column on his primitive laptop, then puffed up the stairs to ask Wieberg for a quick read "to make sure there's nothing in there that's stupid or wrong."

"I scrolled down ... scrolled down ... scrolled down," Wieberg says, "until I'd read through it, and then looked at him. ‘Bleep you,' I said. I couldn't have written anything half as good if I'd had hours or even days to think it through."
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-16-2013, 09:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Frank J. Bilovsky

Born: April 29, 1940

Rochester sports writer;
    Philadelphia Bulletin, sports writer,
    Rochester Democrat, sports writer, 1983 - 2006

Frank Bilovsky made his bones in the Big Five's heyday. Mike Lopresti was born and raised in Indiana, where he has spent his entire professional career. Lenox Rawlings grew up in the Tobacco Road neighborhood, worked a brief spell elsewhere and returned to become a regional icon.

It's not a requirement for USBWA Hall of Fame inductees to be rooted in the nation's most fertile hoops soil. But when great journalism talent lives among great subject matter, the resulting body of work winds up a slam dunk for election.

"That was my baptism," Bilovsky says. "My confirmation was the Big Five, when I went to La Salle."

He graduated in 1962, got hired by the late Philadelphia Bulletin a year later and was assigned to cover the Big Five. His prose told the story of those doubleheaders at the Palestra until the Bulletin's demise in 1982.

"Frank played a huge role in transforming the Big Five into a Philadelphia institution and the Palestra into a national landmark," Hall of Famer Dick "Hoops" Weiss says.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-02-2013, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    William Lyon---AKA Bill Lyon

Born: February 10, 1938

Philadelphia sports writer;
    Graduated Western Military Academy (Alton, IL), 1956
    Philadelphia Inquirer, sports columnist, 1972 - ?
    News-Gazette (Champaign-Urbana)
    Graduated University of Illinois
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-16-2013, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Clyde Edwards McBride---AKA C. E. McBride

Born: June 16, 1882, Missouri
    Died: August 19, 1967, Kansas City, MO, age 85,---d. at home in his sleep.

Kansas City sports editor;
    Marshall, MO, 17-year old, (June 4, 1900 census)
    Kansas City, MO, newspaper, reporter, (1910 census)
    Kansas City, MO, newspaper, reporter, (January 10, 1920 census)
    Kansas City, MO, newspaper, sports editor, (April 19, 1930 census)
    Mission, KS, Daily newspaper, sports editor, (May 9, 1940 census)
    Saline County Index (Marshall, MO)
    Kansas City Star, sports writer, 1907 - 1950 (43 years)(sports editor, 1915 - 1950)
    Newspaper editorial, Kansas City Star, (September 12, 1918, WWI Civilian Draft Registration)

Father: Uriah, born Kentucky, May, 1851; Mother: Rosalie May, born Missouri, March, 1870, died October 25, 1940; Wife: Helen R., born Missouri, around 1886; Son: John A., born Missouri, around 1914; Son: Clyde E., Jr., born Missouri, around 1916; Daughter: Mary M., born Missouri, around 1912;

-------------At his retirement party, 1950.-------------------------------------------------Salina Journal obituary (Salina, KS),---Fort Scott Tribune obituary (Fort Scott, KS), Monday, August 21, 1967.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sunday, August 20, 1967, pp. 12.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-16-2013, 02:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X