No announcement yet.

Meet The Sports Writers

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Earl J. Hilligan

    Born: October 17, 1906, Bessemer, MI
    Died: March 18, 1986, Elmhurst, IL, age 79,---d. Elmhusrt Memorial Hospital.

    Chicago sports writer;
    Attended University of Minnesota,
    Graduated University of Michigan, 1930
    Bessemer, MI, 3-year old, (April 16, 1910 census)
    Bessemer, MI, 13-year old, (February 16, 1920 census)
    Ann Arbor, MI newspaper reporter (Ann Arbor Daily News), (April 2, 1930 census)
    (Chicago, IL, news service, sports writer (April 6, 1940 census)
    Associated Press bureau (Detroit Office), 1933
    Associated Press (Chicago Office), sports writer, September 15, 1936? 1937; Assistant sports editor, 1937 - 1941
    American League Service Bureau, press bureau (Chicago Office), 1941 - 1957

    Father: James C., born Wisconsin around 1866; Mother: Jane Elizabeth Ryan, born Wisconsin, around 1870; Wife Margaret, born Michigan, around 1911; Son: Thomas J., born Michigan, around 1936; Daughter: Kathy;

    December 23, 1946: Chicago sports writers: L-R: John Hoffman, Dan Desmond, Herb Simons, John Carmichael, Jack Ryan, Earl Hilligan, Howard Roberts, Edgar Munzel, Chuck Chamberlain.

    July 23, 1951: L-R: Ford Frick, Earl Hilligan, Jimmy Foxx, Tommy Richardson. At Jimmy Foxx' Hall of Fame induction ceremony, Cooperstown, NY.

    Chicago Tribune obituary, March 18, 1986, pp. A7.

    1956: Will Harridge / Earl Hilligan.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 10-26-2013, 03:16 PM.


    • Hunt Stromberg

      Born: July 12, 1894, Louisville, KY
      Died: August 23, 1968, Santa Monica, CA, age 74,---d.

      St. Louis sports writer;
      St. Louis, MO, 5-year old, (June 7, 1900 census)
      Los Angeles, CA, Publicity for moving picture Corp., (January 7, 1920 census)
      Beverly Hills, CA, Motion Pictures producer, (April 7, 1930 census)
      Los Angeles, CA, Producer, Motion Pictures, (April 2, 1940 census)
      Oklahoma, OK, advertising copy writer, (June 5, 1917, WWI Civilian Draft Registration)
      St. Louis Times,
      St. Louis Sporting News, stafff writer, 1913 - 1918

      Father: Ben, born Ohio, September, 1861; Mother: Fanny, born Kentucky, August, 1863; Wife: Catherine, born Missouri around 1895.

      Hunt was a Sporting News staff writer who quit in 1918 to work in the publicity department in New York for Samuel Goldwyn. He became rich.
      Hunt Stromberg (July 12, 1894 - August 23, 1968) was a film producer during Hollywood's Golden Age. In a prolific 30-year career beginning in 1921, Stromberg produced, wrote, and directed some of Hollywood's most profitable and enduring films, including The Thin Man series, the Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald operettas, The Women, and The Great Ziegfeld, which won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1936.

      Early career
      Hunt Stromberg was born in Louisville, Kentucky in 1894. Leaving a career as a newspaper reporter and sports writer for the St. Louis Times, he followed an advertising friend into the motion picture industry prior to World War I, becoming publicity director for the Goldwyn Pictures Corporation in New York around 1918.

      In 1918 the company sent Stromberg to California, where he developed an interest in filmmaking; by 1919 he had become the personal representative of industry pioneer Thomas H. Ince, and by 1921 he had written, produced and directed his first film. He promptly resigned from Ince's staff to form Hunt Stromberg Productions.

      Independent producer
      From his first independent film, The Foolish Age (1921), Stromberg quickly made his mark by turning out independent, low budget films in increasing quantity and quality.

      In 1922 Stromberg signed Bull Montana, a popular matinee idol, to a long-term contract to star in short comedies, and hired comedy director Mal St. Clair, who had worked with Mack Sennett and Buster Keaton. When Sid Grauman saw a rough cut of the resulting A Ladies' Man (1922), he immediately booked the film to premiere at his Million Dollar Theater in Los Angeles on April 30, 1922. Stromberg continued his string of successes with Breaking Into Society (1923), which he wrote, produced and directed.

      Stromberg joined newly-formed Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1925 and became one of its key executives, listed as one of the studio's "Big Four" with Louis B. Mayer, Irving Thalberg, and Harry Rapf—later with Thalberg, David O. Selznick, and Walter Wanger.

      He was the first production supervisor to get a "produced by" credit on-screen, well deserved considering his achievements. He produced:
      all of Jean Harlow's films
      Joan Crawford's breakthrough films
      Greta Garbo's first American film, Torrent (1926)
      the Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald operetta cycle
      the William Powell/Myrna Loy "Thin Man" series
      as well as such prestige milestones as Academy Award winning The Great Ziegfeld (1936), Marie Antoinette (1938), The Women (1939), and Pride and Prejudice (1940). (See "Selected filmography" below.) At the height of his career, MGM was producing 52 films a year, or an average of one film a week, staying in the black despite the Great Depression.

      Stromberg was one of the top ranked money makers of Hollywood, with a salary to match: US $8,000 a week, guaranteed. In 1937, he was included in management's inner circle and received an additional 1.5% of Loews Theaters profits. The Treasury Department listed Stromberg as one of the ten highest paid executives in the United States.

      But there were substantial changes in those years. Thalberg died in 1936, while Selznick and Wanger left MGM in 1937, leaving Mayer in sole, hands-on control. There are conflicting interpretations of what caused the rift, but by the end of 1941 it was over: after 18 years Stromberg walked away from a contract worth millions, and Mayer let him go on February 10, 1942.

      Independent again
      "Hunt Stromberg was the first producer added to the Society of Independent Motion Picture Producers in 1942 after the group had been formed by Charlie Chaplin, Walt Disney, Samuel Goldwyn, Alexander Korda, Mary Pickford, David O. Selznick, Walter Wanger, and Orson Welles."

      Confounding industry expectations, Stromberg launched his own independent production company in 1943 with the smash hit Lady of Burlesque, starring Barbara Stanwyck, which grossed $1.85 million.

      His subsequent films were not as successful and he finally retired in 1951, in the same year his wife, Katherine Kerwin, died. An avid horseman and a shrewd businessman, Stromberg was independently wealthy by this time as well as a founding investor in Santa Anita Park and Hollywood Park Racetracks.

      Stromberg died on August 23, 1968. He was survived by his son Hunt Stromberg Jr., a Broadway and television producer in his own right.

      As director or screenwriter
      Roaring Rails (1924), screenwriter
      Soft Shoes (1925), screenwriter
      The White Sister (1933), director

      With his wife.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary, September 14, 1968, pp. 32.
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-04-2013, 11:33 AM.


      • Stanley P. Isaacs---AKA Stan Isaacs

        Born: April 22, 1929, Brooklyn, NY
        Died:April 2, 2013, Haverford, PA, age 83,---d. at an assisted living facility.

        New York sports writer; Jewish
        Brooklyn, NY, 11-year old, (April 4, 1940 census)
        Graduated Brooklyn College, 1950
        Newsday, 1954 - 1994 (sports writer, feature columnist, sports media columnist

        Father: Abraham, born New York, around 1907; Mother: Lillian, born New York, around 1908; Wife: Natalie Bobrove, died January, 2012; Daughter: Ellen; Daughter: Nancy Isaacs; Daughter: Ann Basch;

        Stan Isaacs is a former Newsday sports columnist. He wrote the popular column “Out of Left Field” which won a National Headliners award. He collaborated with Marty Glickman on the Glickman autobiography, “The Fastest Kid on the Block.” He currently writes a column for the ESPNZone page on the internet. His acclaimed Isaacs Esoteric Ratings of Distinction (which include the famed Chocolate Ice Cream evaluations) appear every April in the Viewpoints section of Newsday. He is an Eastern District HS and Brooklyn College `50 alumnus. He had a one year National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship at Stanford U.

        He reported on the pioneer Mets; was at ringside when Muhammad Ali won the heavyweight championship from Sonny Liston; covered the 1972 Olympics at Munich, his “worst experience in sports.” He instituted the first TV Sports column in New York. His reminiscences include stories about Jackie Robinson, Casey Stengel, Bill Veeck, Arthur Ashe, Jim Bouton, Yogi Berra, John Madden, Marv Albert and newspaper colleagues.

        He lives in Roslyn Heights, N.Y., is married to Natalie Bobrove, a retired social worker, and has three daughters and four grandchildren.
        Stan Isaacs (Sportswriter. Born, Brooklyn, Apr. 22, 1929.) As a sportswriter, columnist, sports editor, and observer of the world scene, Stan Isaacs consistently brought a sense of irreverence coupled with keen observation to his work. Isaacs started as a copy boy at the New York Star in 1949 while a student at Brooklyn College. He then moved to its successor, the Daily Compass (1950-52), where he began to cover the Yankees, Giants, Dodgers, Knicks, boxing, and other events. Isaacs went to Newsday as a sportswriter in 1954 and remained there in a variety of roles for 38 years. He became a columnist, sports editor (1971-72), feature columnist and sports media columnist.

        Isaacs, along with Post writers Leonard Schechter and Larry Merchant (q.v.), was among the first of the so-called “chipmunk” school of writers who broke the hidebound conventions of sports coverage. Among his more humorous writings is the rating of just about everything in a column that always includes a world ranking of chocolate ice cream sodas. That column has continued to appear annually in Newsday even though Isaacs retired in 1994. In addition to numerous magazine pieces, Isaacs has done three books, including tomes with football great Jimmy Brown and broadcasting legend Marty Glickman. (The Bill Shannon Biographical Dictionary of New York Sports is an open database of sports biographies maintained by Jordan Sprechman and Marty Appel.)

        JIM BROWN: The Golden Year 1964---1970
        The Fastest Kid on the Block: The Marty Glickman Story, 1996
        The Pages of My Mind, 2003
        Ten Moments That Shook the Sports World: One Sportswriter's Eyewitness Accounts of the Most Incredible Sporting Events of the Past Fifty Years, 2008

        March 4, 1959: New York sports writers in St. Petersburg, FL.
        Top Row, L-R: Stan Isaacs, Dan Daniel, Tommy Holmes, Bill Dougerty, Len Schecter, Jim Ogle.

        Bottom Row, L-R: John Drebinger, Jack Lang, Casey Stengel, Joe Trimble, Ken Smith, Til Ferdenzi.

        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-04-2013, 11:14 AM.


        • Leonard Schecter---AKA Len Schecter

          Born: September 5, 1926, Bronx, NY
          Died: January 19, 1974, New York, age 47,---d. Roosevelt Hospital of leukemia.

          New York sports writer;
          Bronx, NY, 3-year old, (April 5, 1930 census)
          Bronx, NY, 13-year old, (April 9, 1940 census)
          Graduated New York University,
          New York Post, sports writer, ? - 1968 (copy boy, copy editor, night editor, general columnist, sports reporter, sports columnist)
          freelance writer
          Look magazine,

          Father: Joseph, born Poland, around 1885; Mother: Dora, born Russia, around 1889; Wife: Virginia, born January 22, 1928, died November 12, 2007.

          Leonard Schecter is probably most famous for editing Jim Bouton's book Ball Four. He also edited Bouton's second book I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally. Schecter was a sportswriter for the New York Post in the '60's when Bouton came up and wrote Roger Maris, a biography, and Once Upon the Polo Grounds, about the first two years of the New York Mets.

          The Jocks: An Iconoclastic View of Sports in America,
          Ball Four, by Jim Bouton, 1970
          I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally, by Jim Bouton, 1971
          Roger Maris: A Biography,
          Once Upon the Polo Grounds: The Mets That Were, 1970
          Love of All, 1964
          On The Pad, by William Phillips, 1973

          March 4, 1959: New York sports writers in St. Petersburg, FL.
          Top Row, L-R: Stan Isaacs, Dan Daniel, Tommy Holmes, Bill Dougerty, Len Schecter, Jim Ogle.

          Bottom Row, L-R: John Drebinger, Jack Lang, Casey Stengel, Joe Trimble, Ken Smith, Til Ferdenzi.

          New York Times' obituary, January 20, 1974, pp. 56.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-04-2013, 10:47 AM.


          • Robert Fulton Kelley

            Born: September 15, 1900, New Jersey
            Died: December 14, 1975, Huntington, NY, age 75,---d. at Huntington Nursing Home (Long Island)

            New York sports writer;
            Plandome, NY, daily newspaper, sports writer, (April 9, 1930 census)
            New York Post, 1920 -
            New York Times, sports staff, 1926 - February, 1944
            Metropolitan race track, publicity relations, 1945 - 1959

            Father: born Massachusetts; Mother: born Ohio; Wife: Evelyn Chard, born New York, around 1900; Son: Robert F., Jr., born New Jersey, around 1924; Son: George C., born New Jersey, around 1925; Son: Michael.

            Robert F. Kelley (Sportswriter. Born, Narragansett Pier, R.I., Sept. 15, 1900; died, Huntington, N.Y., Dec. 14, 1975.) Emerging as a man for many seasons, Robert Fulton Paul Anthony Kelley began his career at the New York Evening Post in 1920. Kelley covered horse racing, a little baseball, polo, yachting, and even the occasional football game. His knowledge of these wide-ranging events made him a valuable member of the staff. In 1926, he switched to The Times, starting an 18-year stint on West 43rd Street, during which he became more of a racing writer. Kelley became the publicist for the metropolitan area race tracks (Empire City, Belmont, Aqueduct, and Sarasota) in 1944. Two years later, when the tracks formally organized into a group, he was in charge of their public relations. This group became the New York Racing Association in 1955. Kelley was the first publicity director for the fledgling International Soccer League at the Polo Grounds in 1960 and spent part of the 1961 season with the A.F.L. Titans. In the final years of his working career, he was with the Thomas J. Deegan public relations firm in Rockefeller Center (1962-70). Among his tasks at Deegan was handling N.Y.R.A. assignments and getting the City to name the new municipal stadium in Corona for New York attorney William A. Shea. (The Bill Shannon Biographical Dictionary of New York Sports is an open database of sports biographies maintained by Jordan Sprechman and Marty Appel.)

            New York Times' obituary, December 15, 1975, pp. 34.------------------------------Sporting News' obituary, January 3, 1976, pp. 47.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-04-2013, 10:20 AM.


            • Ralph Harrison Ray, Jr.

              Born: December 5, 1920, Fairview, IL
              Died: March 16, 2002, St. Louis, MO, age 81,---d. heart attack

              Sports writer / editor;
              Fairview Village, IL, 9-year old, (April 25, 1930 census)
              Fairview, IL, 19-year old, (April 19, 1940 census)
              Graduated Knox College (Galesburg, IL), 1942
              US Army, WWII
              Decatur (IL), Herald & Review,
              Chicago Tribune, city desk,
              Buffalo Evening News,
              Sporting News, editor, 1958 - 1986
              123 Club, President, 1999 - 2000

              Father: Ralph Harrison Ray, born Douglas, IL, June 2, 1891; Mother: Esther R. Ten Eyok, born Fairview, IL, March 22, 1897, died Fairview, IL, July, 1984; Wife: Mary Jane Ross; Son: Leonard Dent Smith; Daughter: Barbara Diane Assadi; Daughter: Jennifer Kathleen.

              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-04-2013, 09:30 AM.


              • Sabath Anthony Mele---AKA Sam Mele

                Born: January 21, 1922, Astoria (Queens), NY
                Died: Still Alive

                Baseball player / manager / writer;
                Queens, NY, 8-year old, (April 8, 1930 census)(listed Savath)
                Queens, NY, 18-year old, (April 16, 1940 census)
                US Navy, WWII, 1942
                ML Player: 1947 - 1956 (mostly out-fielder/1B)
                Minnesota Twins, manager, 1961 - 1967
                Boston Red Sox, scouting/PR, December 15, 1967 - 1992

                Father: Antonio, born Italy, around 1882; Mother: Anna, born Italy, around 1893; Antonio came US, 1910; Anna came US, 1900.

                Sabath Anthony "Sam" Mele (born January 21, 1922 in Astoria, New York) is a former right fielder, manager, coach and scout in Major League Baseball. As a manager, he led the Minnesota Twins to their first American League championship in 1965.

                Ten-year MLB playing career
                Mele was the nephew of major league baseball players Tony and Al Cuccinello, but did not play baseball until he attended William Cullen Bryant High School. The high school gave up baseball after his freshman year, but Mele played with other local baseball teams. Mentored by his uncle Tony, Mele gained major league attention and worked out with several teams while still in high school.

                After high school, Mele attended New York University. In 1940, he broke his leg sliding into third base but, in 1941, he posted a batting average of .405, and in 1942, he hit .369. He also excelled as a basketball player. NYU basketball head coach Howard Cann called Mele one of the finest players he ever coached. In the summer of 1941, Mele also played baseball for the Burlington, Vermont team of the Northern League where he made contact with the Boston Red Sox and signed a five-figure contract.

                But before he could join the Sox, he first signed up for the United States Marine Corps in 1942 and was called in July 1943. As part of the V-12 Navy College Training Program, Mele played baseball for Red Rolfe at Yale University. He was sent to the Pacific Ocean where he was able to play baseball with Joe DiMaggio and others. Mele led the Navy league with a .358 average in 1944. In 1946, after the Marines, Mele joined the Red Sox in Sarasota, Florida before being sent to the Louisville Colonels and, later, the Eastern League Scranton Red Sox. Mele won the Eastern League Most Valuable Player award, leading the league in average (.342), total bases and triples. The following year, the Boston Red Sox went into spring with uncertainty at the right field position, but Mele won the job with a 5-for-5 performance, and hit .302 for the season. He also substituted well in center field when Dom DiMaggio was injured.

                During his playing days (1947–56), Mele saw duty with six major league clubs: the Boston Red Sox, Washington Senators, Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles, Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians, batting .267 with 80 home runs in 1,046 games. He batted and threw right-handed. Along the way, he acquired the nickname "Sam" from his initials

                Manager of the Twins
                Mele became pilot of the Twins on June 23, 1961, the team's first season in Minnesota after moving from Washington. He had been a coach for the Senators in 1959 and 1960 under Cookie Lavagetto. With the '61 Twins struggling, Mele filled in as manager while Lavagetto took a seven-game leave of absence in early June. He then formally succeeded to the job later in the month. The Twins moved up two places in the standings under Mele, finishing seventh.

                But fortified by young players such as Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew, Jim Kaat, Zoilo Versalles and Bob Allison, the Twins challenged the powerful New York Yankees in 1962 before placing second. After finishing third in 1963, the team suffered through a poor season in 1964, leading to speculation that Mele would be replaced by his new third base coach, Billy Martin.

                1965 AL championship
                However, the 1965 Twins broke the Yankees' stranglehold on the AL pennant. Led by Versalles, who was named the American League's Most Valuable Player, batting champion Tony Oliva, and pitcher Mudcat Grant, who won 21 games, Minnesota won 102 games and coasted to the league title. (The Yankees finished sixth.) Minnesota took a two-game lead in the 1965 World Series, but the superior pitching of the Los Angeles Dodgers' Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale and Claude Osteen took its toll, and Los Angeles won in seven games.

                The 1966 Twins won 13 fewer games, and ended up as runners-up to the Baltimore Orioles. Mele also became embroiled in a clash between two of his coaches, pitching tutor Johnny Sain and future manager Billy Martin. His action (or inaction) alienated him from some of the players. The club swung a major trade for pitcher Dean Chance during the offseason and unveiled star rookie Rod Carew in 1967. Hopes and expectations were high in Minnesota, but when the Twins were only .500 after 50 games, Mele was fired. His successor was not Martin, as had been anticipated, but longtime minor league manager Cal Ermer.

                Mele's record as a manager was 524-436 (.546). He never managed again, but returned to the Red Sox as a scout for 25 years.
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-04-2013, 08:49 AM.


                • James Anton Burchard---AKA Jim Burchard

                  Born: 1904, Denton, MD
                  Died: May 29, 1960, Fort Lauderdale, FL, age 56,---d. heart attack at home.

                  New York sports editor;
                  Cleveland, OH, 5-year old, (April 22, 1910 census)
                  Cleveland, OH, 15-year old, (January 30, 1920 census)
                  Graduated Syracuse University, 1923
                  New York World-Telegram, 1928 - March 20, 1960, retired.
                  New York Sun
                  US Army, WWII (Captain)

                  Father: Anton, born Washington, DC, around 1873; Mother: Jessie Kerr: born Maryland, around 1876; Wife: Catherine P. Miller (Kay), born Cleveland, OH; Father Anton married Jessie around 1901. James married Catherine P. Miller on December 31, 1927.

                  Mr. Burchard had been President of the United States Lawn Tennis & New York Hockey Writers Association. He had been a 6' athlete. He had covered North Africa for the Army newspaper, the Stars & Stripes.

                  --------------------------New York Times' obituary, May 30, 1960, pp. 17.
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-03-2013, 08:56 PM.


                  • Axford Cleveland Buck---AKA Al Buck

                    Born: January 2, 1903, Roxbury, MA
                    Died: June 22, 1967, New York, NY, age 64,---d. died at home of cancer after a long fight.

                    New York sports writer;
                    Boston, MA, 7-year old, (April 20, 1910 census)
                    Attended Boston University,
                    Portland Evening News (ME), reporter, 1927
                    WWII, Pacific sector (Ranger), Norfolk, MA,
                    New York Post, sports writer / columnist, 1934 - 1967

                    Father: Samuel P., born Maine, December, 1869; Mother: Ethel, born New Jersey, around 1876; Wife: Dorothy O'Brien. Al married Dorothy in 1943.

                    Al specialized in football, boxing, & thoroughbred racing writing. His column was called "Buckshot".

                    New York Times' obituary, June 24, 1967, pp. 23.----------------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary,
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------July 8, 1967, pp. 40.

                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-30-2013, 06:13 PM.


                    • Frank H. Eck

                      Born: July 15, 1911, Brooklyn, NY
                      Died: October 16, 1987, Huntington, NY, age 76,---d. heart attack.

                      New York sports writer;
                      Queens, NY, 9-year old, (January 13, 1920 census)(listed Frances)
                      Queens, NY, 18-year old, (April 7, 1930 census)
                      Queens, NY, salesman, retail monuments, (April, 1940 census)
                      Queens Avenue News, sports editor, 1928
                      New York Times, sports reporter, 1933 - 1937
                      Long Island Daily Advocate, sports editor, 1930's
                      Associated Press, reporter, editor, sports features, 1943 - August, 1976, retired.
                      Long Islander, weekly column

                      Father: Jacob F., born New York, around 1887; Mother: Lillian R., born New York, around 1892; Wife: Violet, born New York, March 8, 1913, died Colrain, MA, September 29, 1997; Daughter: Adrieme, born New York, around 1937;

                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-30-2013, 05:11 PM.


                      • William Henry Irwin

                        Born: September 14, 1873, Oneida, NY
                        Died: February 24, 1948, NYC, age 74,---d. cerebral occlusion in St. Vincent's Hospital, NYC.

                        New York sports writer;
                        Leadville, CO, 6-year old, (June 9, 1880 census)
                        San Francisco, CA, journalist, (June, 1900 census)
                        New York, NY, author, books, (April 7, 1930 census)(listed Will)
                        New York, NY, auditor, owner, (April 25, 1940 census)(listed Will)
                        San Francisco, 1899 - ?
                        New York Sun, 1904 - 1906
                        McClure magazine, managing editor, 1906 - 1908
                        NYC journalist, (September 12, 1818 WWI Civilian Draft Registration)
                        Free-lance author of magazine articles, novels, 1908 - 1948

                        Father: David S., born New York, around 1845; Mother: Edith E., born New York, around 1849; Wife 1: Harriet Hyde--They married in 1901; Wife 2: Inez Haynes Gillmore, born Brazil, March 2, 1873, died September 25, 1970, Norwell, MA--They married in 1916; Son: William Hyde, born Maryland, around 1915; Son: Robert, born Maryland, around 1918; Norman, born Delaware, around 1919; Wilson, born Maryland, around 1921; ;

                        William Henry Irwin (Will) (September 14, 1873 - February 24, 1948) was a U.S. author, writer, journalist, reporter, lecturer, World War I correspondent, biographer of Herbert Hoover and baseball historian. He is associated with the muckrakers. He wrote about 30 books of fiction and non-fiction. He had served as president of the Authors' Guild.

                        Irwin was born in Oneida, New York. In his early childhood the Irwin family moved to Clayville, NJ, a farming and mining center south of Utica. In about 1878 his father moved to Leadville, Colorado, establishing himself in the lumber business, and brought his family out. When his business failed Irwin's father moved the family to Twin Lakes, Colorado. A hotel business there failed too, and the family moved back to Leadville, to a bungalow at 125 West Twelfth Street. In 1889 they moved to Denver, where he graduated from high school. He cured himself of a diagnosed bout of tuberculosis by "roughing it" for a year as a cowboy.

                        Life at Stanford University
                        With a loan from his high school teacher Irwin entered Stanford University in September 1894. According to journalism historians Clifford Weigle and David Clark in their biographical sketch of Irwin,
                        "During four riotous years at Stanford, Irwin 'specialized' in campus politics, undergraduate theatricals and writing, and beer drinking and inventive pranks. Expelled three weeks before he was to have received the B.A. degree in 1898, he got the degree a year later after final, solemn consideration by a somewhat reluctant faculty committee on student affairs."

                        Irwin was forced to withdraw for disciplinary reasons but was readmitted and graduated Wednesday, May 24, 1899.

                        In 1901 Irwin got a job as a reporter on the San Francisco Chronicle, eventually becoming Sunday editor. For the San Francisco-based Bohemian Club, he wrote the Grove Play The Hamadryads in 1904. That same year he moved to New York City to take a reporter's position at The New York Sun, then in its heyday under the editorship of Chester Lord and Selah M. Clark.

                        Irwin arrived in New York City the same day as a major disaster—the sinking of the General Slocum. A new reporter on The Sun, he was assigned to work the Bellevue morgue, where the more than 1,000 bodies of the victims of fire and drowning were taken.

                        The City That Was
                        Will Irwin, photo published in San Francisco Call December 9, 1910. page 6, to accompany story by Mary Ashe Miller, "Will Irwin Weaves 'The City That Was' Into Strong Novel."

                        First installment of Irwin's series "The City That Was" as it appeared in The New York Sun Saturday, April 21, 1906, page 5.

                        Irwin's biggest story and the feat that made him a professional writer was his absentee coverage for the Sun of the San Francisco earthquake of April 18, 1906 and subsequent days. Weigle and Clark describe his activities as follows:
                        "Because he knew the city so well, he was assigned to write -- mostly from memory, supplemented by scant telegraphic bulletins -- the story of the quake. Before the last-edition deadline on the first day, April 18, 1906, he wrote fourteen columns of copy. and he kept writing, eight columns or more a day, for the next seven days, as fire swept the ruined city. The booklet, for which Irwin is most widely known, resulted from six or seven columns of general description of pre-earthquake San Francisco that he wrote on the afternoon of the third day of the story."

                        Irwin was hired by S.S. McClure in 1906 as managing editor of McClure's Magazine. He rose to the position of editor but disliked the work and then moved to Collier's, edited by Norman Hapgood. He wrote investigative stories on the movement for Prohibition and a study of fake spiritual mediums.

                        Back on the Pacific coast in 1906-1907 to research a story on anti-Japanese racism Irwin returned to San Francisco and found it flourishing. For the San Francisco Call several years later he wrote an article on the city's rebirth entitled "The City That Is". He concluded
                        "It is a larger city, a more convenient city, and since it is also a more beautiful and more distinctive city I announce myself a complete convert. This city that was business is the old stuff."

                        Irwin's series on anti-Japanese discrimination appeared in Collier's in September–October 1907 and Pearson's in 1909.

                        "The American Newspaper"
                        Then came the series "The American Newspaper."
                        Cover of Collier's January 21, 1911, the first installment of Irwin's series "The American Newspaper."
                        In 1911 Irwin published one of the most famous critical analyses of American journalism ever written. The series titled "The American Newspaper" was researched from September 23, 1909 till late June 1910 and published in Colliers magazine from January to June, 1911.

                        World War I
                        Irwin continued to write articles, some in the muckraking style, until the outbreak of World War I. He sailed to Europe in August 1914 as one of the first American correspondents.

                        According to media historians Edwin and Michael Emery,
                        "[Irwin's] beats on the battles of Ypres and the first German use of poison gas were also printed in the Tribune. Irwin was one of several correspondents who represented American magazines in Europe; he first wrote for Collier's and then for the Saturday Evening Post. Irwin's article appeared on the front page of The New York Tribune on April 27, 1915.

                        Irwin served on the executive committee of Herbert Hoover's Commission for Relief in Belgium in 1914-1915 and was chief of the foreign department of George Creel's Committee on Public Information in 1918.

                        Later life
                        During and after the war Irwin wrote 17 more books, including a biography of Herbert Hoover, a history of Paramount Pictures and its founder Adolf Zukor, The House That Shadows Built (1928), and his autobiography, The Making of a Reporter (1942). He also wrote two plays continued magazine writing.

                        He was married to the feminist author Inez Haynes Irwin, who published under the name Inez Haynes Gilmore, author of The Californiacs.

                        Will Irwin died on February 24, 1948 at the age of 74.

                        Above left photo published in San Francisco Call December 9, 1910. page 6, to accompany story -----------------------------------------------------------------Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, obituary, February 25, 1948.

                        New York Times' obituary, February 25, 1948, pp. 23.
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-30-2013, 04:58 PM.


                        • Davis Edward Marshall

                          Born: March 31, 1870, Enfield Center, Tioga County, NY
                          Died: February 24, 1933, NYC, age 62,---d. lobar pneumonia at Middlesex General Hospital, New Brunswick, NJ.

                          New York sports writer;
                          Greece, NY, 12-year old, (June 16, 1880 census)
                          New York, NY, newspaper journalist, (April 20, 1910 census)
                          New York, NY, newspaper Journalist, (March 8, 1920 census)(listed as Edward)
                          American Press Association, news editor, 1885 - 1889
                          New York Press, Sunday editor, 1890 - 1895
                          Rochester (NY) newpapers, reporter, early 1880's
                          Bachellor and Johnson Newspaper Syndicate, European correspondent, 1896 - ?
                          New York Morning Journal, Sunday editor, war correspondent
                          McClure's Newspaper Syndicate, European correspondent, 1901 - ?
                          New York Times, 1911 - 1914, special articles,
                          Edward Marshal Newspaper Syndicate, Inc.,

                          Father: Davis Chester Marshall, born Pennsylvania (clergyman); Mother: Algiana R. Osborn, born New York; Wife: Margret, born California, around 1881;

                          Mr. Marshall led an extraordinarily active life. He was a journalist, reporter, war correspondent, author, editor, head of the Edward Marshall Newspaper Syndicate, Inc. During WWI, the ship he was traveling on was torpedoed and sunk. He had to cling to bits of wreckage for hours until he was rescued. He had an amputated leg and could not swim and was paralyzed from the waist down. He was in 3 train wrecks, a lake steamer wreck and 2 hotel fires.

                          Despite his amputated leg and paralysis, he learned to walk with crutches and then a cane. He was usually cheerful and smiling.

                          New York Times' obituary, February 26, 1933, pp. F26.

                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-30-2013, 02:45 PM.


                          • Frank B. Hutchinson

                            Born: January 17, 1903, Virginia
                            Died: January 20, 1971, Orlando, FL, age 68,---d. heart attack at Orlando, FL hospital.

                            New Jersey newspaper editor / Press secretary;
                            Hamilton, TN, 7-year old, (April 21, 1910 census)
                            Union, WV, 16-year old, (January 14, 1920 census)
                            Piscataway, NJ, college professor, (April 16, 1940 census)
                            New Jersey Press Association, Field Secretary, October 3, 1939? - February 1, 1940; Executive Secretary, February 1, 1940 - August 7, 1947.
                            New York Press Association, manager
                            Syracuse University, business manager, purchasing agent, financial adviser, November 27, 1938.
                            Rutgers University (New Brunswick, NJ), Professor of Journalism, February 1, 1940 - March 9, 1943?
                            Columbia University, (taught at graduate school of journalism)
                            New Brunswick, treasurer, March 18, 1940
                            Community Research Bureau, May 24, 1947? - January 13, 1955?
                            Nassau Morning Guardian (Bahamas), editor, general manager (before 1959)
                            Ridgewood Herald News (NJ), Managing Editor, executive editor, (before 1959)
                            St. Petersburg Evening Independent (FL), associate editor, editorial writer, columnist, April 21, 1959? - March 26, 1961?
                            Orlando Evening Star, editorial page editor, 1961 - May 1, 1970

                            Father: Emmanuel Grant, born Virginia, around 1867; Mother: Sarah Jane Greer, born Virginia, around 1872; Wife 1: Margaret, born West Virginia, around 1907; Wife: Sara; Daughter: Emma Jane, born West Virginia, around 1932;

                            Mr. Hutchinson served the New Jersey Press Association, as field secretary and executive secretary from at least 1939 to at least August 7, 1947. He was elected Secretary July 30, 1940 and Executive Secretary March 5, 1943. He lived in New Brunswick, New Jersey at that time.

                            Community Research Bureau of Glen Rock, NJ, was operated under the control and direction of Frank B. Hutchinson. Having managed and edited several weekly newspapers, Mr. Hutchinson has served as professor of journalsism at Syracuse and Rutgers Universities and managed the News York Press Association and the New Jersey Press Association over a period of a dozen years before setting up his own newspaper research organization. In addition to his many duties, Mr. Hutchinson is presently an associate professor at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. (January 13, 1955)

                            Milford Mail (Milford, IA), January 13, 1955--------St. Petersburg Evening Independent, April 21, 1959------Chicago Tribune obituary, January 21, 1971

                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 10-23-2013, 04:27 PM.


                            • Jose Massaguer---AKA Joe Massaguer

                              Born: 1885?, Cardenas, Cuba
                              Died: December 3, 1932, Havana, Cuba, age 47,---d. cancer; Buried: Colon Cemetery.

                              Cuban sports editor;
                              Mexico City (Mexico),
                              El Mundo (Cuba), sports editor, 1918 - 1932

                              --------------------------------Hartford Courant obituary, December 4, 1932, pp. 12.---New York Times' obituary, December 4, 1932, pp. 32.
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-06-2012, 12:34 AM.


                              • Edward Michael Keating---AKA Edward M. Keating

                                Born: April 17, 1925, Plainsfield, NJ
                                Died: April 2, 2003, Mt. View, CA, age 77,---d. Standford Hospital, Stanford, CA, of pneumonia

                                Literary writer;
                                Gloucester, NJ, 4-year old, (April 11, 1930 census)
                                Blackwood, NJ, 15-year old, (April, 1940 census)

                                Father: William, born Pennsylvania, around 1899; Mother: Helen E., born New Jersey, around 1900;

                                PALO ALTO, Calif., April 11 — Edward Keating, who founded the liberal Catholic magazine Ramparts in 1962, died here on April 2. He was 77.

                                The cause was pneumonia, his family said.

                                Mr. Keating, a native of New Jersey, used his family's money to finance Ramparts and to fight what he saw as hypocrisy in the Roman Catholic Church. Ramparts eventually had a circulation of 400,000, and took on other centers of power, particularly the federal government.

                                Mr. Keating was also a member of the defense team that defended the Black Panther leader Huey P. Newton and led West Coast opposition to the war in Vietnam.

                                Two years after starting the magazine, Mr. Keating hired Warren Hinckle as its editor. Mr. Hinckle turned the magazine into a monthly, from a quarterly, and Ramparts grew more political. In 1967, Mr. Hinckle took over the magazine from Mr. Keating, who spent his last years practicing law, teaching and writing. The magazine's popularity eventually dwindled, and it closed in 1975.

                                Mr. Keating ran for a California Congressional seat in 1967 on a peace platform, but lost to Pete McCloskey, the Republican candidate.

                                His writing style was dry as a martini, in the most approved Robert Benchley style. He was also a huge admirer of writer, William Faulkner.

                                The rise and fall of the American radical magazine Ramparts involved only a few years of the life of its founder, Edward Keating, who has died aged 77, but it changed his life and his faith.

                                A lawyer and businessman who became a devout Roman Catholic in his late 20s, Keating launched Ramparts in 1962 in Menlo Park, California (now part of Silicon Valley), as a quarterly literary forum for Catholic intellectuals. But it quickly took on a life of its own as he began to receive letters and ideas from black priests involved in the civil rights movement.

                                Keating realised this was the premier moral question of the day and he started printing articles on both race and the growing protest against the war in Vietnam. The magazine became a monthly and developed a secular approach and an editorial stance that unequivocally supported both causes, while maintaining a crisp and credible appearance.

                                On its own this might not have made much impact, but Keating was also a natural journalist and under his guidance Ramparts became the most important American alternative publication of its era. He published articles on topics that mainstream publications were ignoring, and also encouraged talented new young writers of the left, including Susan Sontag, the investigative reporter Seymour Hersh (now with the New Yorker), the radical journalist Robert Scheer (later an editor of Ramparts) and John Howard Griffin (author of the bestselling Black Like Me, 1961).

                                Events that Keating seized upon included early reports of the murder of three civil rights workers in Mississippi, and the CIA's secret financing of the National Students Association so that it could vet students who travelled abroad and met communists. One Ramparts issue displayed dozens of photographs of wounded Vietnam children. This prompted the Rev Martin Luther King to publicly oppose the war. Keating hired Scheer because of an article he had written, but could not publish, about Cardinal Francis Spellman of New York, and his support for the war. Ramparts ran the story.

                                Like many on the left at the time, Keating was not immune to the wiles of two charlatans of his time. He gave a job to Eldridge Cleaver, author of Soul on Ice in 1968, in which he boasted about raping women. As a lawyer, he helped to defend Black Panther leader Huey Newton, a charismatic speaker but later the victim of a street drug murder. Keating wrote about Newton's case in a 1971 book, Free Huey: The True Story Of The Trial Of Huey P Newton For Murder.

                                The success of Ramparts caused Keating, author of an early book on Catholic denial of the Holocaust, The Scan dal Of Silence (1965), to confront more doubts about his faith. A few years after launching the magazine, he became an agnostic. Then in 1967, when new investors took control of the magazine's board, he was ousted as president and publisher. "They threw me out like an old shoe," he commented. His place was taken by Warren Hinckle, a journalist he had originally employed.

                                The magazine, which reached a circulation of 400,000 at its peak, closed in 1975. Meanwhile Keating continued in radical politics and teaching. After his dismissal, he ran unsuccessfully for congress as a peace candidate against the former child actress Shirley Temple Black, a Republican, and four others, and served as chairman of the West Coast Committee to End the War in Vietnam. He also continued to write and published short stories, novellas and, in 1975, Broken Bough, a book about science, philosophy and human nature.

                                Keating was born in New Jersey and his father was a prosperous industrialist. In 1940 the family moved to Menlo Park, where he went to school. During the second world war he served for three years in the US Navy in the Pacific and then entered Stanford University law school, graduating in 1950. He only practised law for four years before going into business, including the acquisition of commercial properties, in which he prospered as California boomed.

                                He was raised as a nominal Protestant but converted to Catholicism in 1954. He later taught English at the University of Santa Clara. He used his own private wealth and money from his wife Helen to found Ramparts, but never imagined in the early days what the magazine would become. His achievement was in allowing and encouraging that.

                                His papers, including recordings of conversations with Black Panthers in the 1960s, were donated to Stanford University.

                                He is survived by six children, Mike, Karen Keating McCann, Steve, Melissa Keating Masland, Kate Keating Bowles Anselmo and John; and six grandchildren.

                                The Scandal of Silence, 1965
                                Free Huey! The True Story of the Trial of Huey P. Newton for Murder, 1971
                                The Broken Bough, 1970's

                                ---------------------------------------------December 4, 1972.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------April 29, 1967.
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-30-2013, 11:23 AM.


                                Ad Widget