No announcement yet.

Meet The Sports Writers

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moreland,Gphoto.jpg

    George Leonard Moreland in 1910.

    A resident of Steubenville, OH, Moreland bobs up as a director/investor in the 1890
    Canton Tri-State League team in 1890. By 1892 he was working for a Pittsburgh
    newspaper and was a scout for the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1893 he reportedly was promoted
    to assistant on the team and was Connie Mack's roomate on road trips.

    In 1895 Moreland successfully got hometown Steubenville accepted as the eighth and
    final team for the independent Interstate League with himself as manager. But after an 8-3
    start, he shifted the franchise to Akron and walked away. It seems the ballpark was in a
    shallow between four hills, and fans stood on the hills rather than pay admission. "We
    knew this before the season opened," he said in the June 8th Sporting Life, "but thought
    there were enough people fair enough to put up and see a game."

    He partnered with the fiercely independent Al Buckenberger - the old Pittsburgh manager
    - to purchase the "outlaw" Wheeling (WV) club for the 1896 season, but Buckenberger
    jumped ship to manage the St. Louis Nationals after Wheeling earned NL protection
    status. Moreland survived some minor league skulduggery and stayed on as an active

    Moreland's Pittsburgh newspaper work and Pirate scouting work continued. In late
    October 1899, Moreland broke the story that Barney Dreyfuss was going to combine the
    Louisville and Pittsburgh franchises. Under Dreyfuss, coincidentally or not, Moreland's
    work for the Pirates comes to an end. In 1905 he is known for "weekly averages" of
    players from all teams; in 1908 he publishes a pamphlet of stats which argues that
    sacrifice flies should not be times at bat; in 1909 he publishes "Moreland's Baseball
    Records and Percentage Book"; and by June of 1910, his weekly batter and pitcher
    averages seem to be the most published in the nation, always "expressly by George L.
    Moreland." I don't have the date of the creation of the Moreland Sports Bureau, but it
    would seem to be early in 1910.

    On October 25, 1910, Moreland is elected president of the Ohio-Pennsylvania League and
    his photo, above, runs in next day's Cleveland Plain Dealer. He quit after one tumultuous

    He created "Playergraphs" in 1913 which was a precurser to "Leaves From A Fan's
    Scrapbook" and "Daguerreotypes." His statement that Larry Cheney was the winner in
    relief, 4/15/1913, was picked up by many newspapers later that month. He published
    "Balldom: The Britannica of Baseball" in 1914, and was an authority on pitcher decisions
    at that time. Balldom gave season-by-season won loss totals for Cy Young (508-311),
    Christy Mathewson, and Eddie Plank. Moreland's list of Charles Radbourne's 1884
    victories - in newspapers early June, 1916 - became the style used by the Spalding Guides
    for their team game logs.

    During this decade Moreland is credited with "discovering" Cy Young while "managing"
    Canton in 1890, and Honus Wagner while managing Steubenville in 1895. Another story
    makes the rounds that as Connie Mack's roommate it was his idea to make that slapping
    flap on Mack's catcher's mitt to fool umpires into calling strikes on foul tips.

    By the end of the decade he was the team beat writer for the Washington Herald, but
    complained of stomach trouble and lost so much weight that he was unrecognizable. He
    became a teetotaler. According to the January 5, 1939, Sporting News, page 5, the Elias
    Sports Bureau did the official NL stats when John Heydler became NL president in 1918,
    and shortly thereafter bought the Moreland Sports Bureau from someone named James

    A note in the 1922 Sporting News says Moreland's forwarding address was 810 US
    Rubber Company Building, New York City. "Baseball historian" George Moreland writes
    two articles in the mid 1930's for the Sporting News, and then seems to vanish.

    Originally posted by Bill Burgess
    Thank you, Vaccol!!!! You have taken on the very elusive Mr. Moreland! I have been pursuing him for many, many years now. In fact, of all the early members of the BBWAA, he is one of the only ones for whom I never found a date of death or obituary.

    Here is mny profile for him from page 34.

    You will notice I absconded with your photo! It is the first and only photo I've ever seen of him! So, THANKS FOR THAT!!!

    I have trolled through the pages of Sporting News and for years and come up empty. If you ever find him, please let me know, as I can't find him anywhere, and am most desperate to locate him!!!

    Thank you, Vaccol!!!!!
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-28-2012, 08:31 AM.


    • 304. James John Corbett---AKA Jim Corbett

      Born: September 1, 1866, San Francisco, CA
      Died: February 18, 1933, Bayside (Queens), NY, age 66

      Professional boxer;
      San Francisco, CA, 3-year old, (July 2, 1870 census)
      San Francisco, CA, 12-year old, (June 2, 1880 census)
      New York, NY, pugilist, (June 9, 1900 census)
      Queens, NY, actor, theater, (May 18, 1910 census)
      San Francisco, CA, plasterer, (January 5, 1920 census)
      Queens, NY, actor, legitimate theater, (April 3, 1930 census)
      sports writer: King Features Syndicate, Inc.

      Father: Patrick J., born North Ireland, around 1835; Mother: Catherine, born North Ireland, around 1837; Wife: Jessie T., born Nebraska, around 1862;

      Jim Corbett's main claim to fame is as a boxer, but after his boxing career ended, he authored sports articles. Jim Corbett is known as one of the heavy-weight champions of boxing. He held the Heavy-Weight Title from September 7, 1892 when he defeated John L. Sullivan to win the title to March 17, 1897, when he lost the title to British fighter, Bob Fitzsimmons, in Carson City, Nevada.

      James John "Gentleman Jim" Corbett (September 1, 1866 – February 18, 1933) was an American professional boxer and a former World Heavyweight Champion, best known as the man who defeated the great John L. Sullivan. He also coached boxing at the Olympic Club in San Francisco. He stood at 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m), with a reach of 73 inches (185 cm).

      Boxing career
      Dubbed by the media as "Gentleman Jim Corbett," he graduated from Sacred Heart High School in San Francisco and was rumored to have a college education. He also pursued a career in acting, performing at a variety of theatres. He has been called the "Father of Modern Boxing" because of his scientific approach and innovations in technique. Some think that he changed prizefighting from a brawl to an art form.

      On May 21, 1891, Corbett fought Peter "Black Prince" Jackson, a much-heralded bout between cross-town rivals, since Corbett and Jackson were boxing instructors at San Francisco's two most prestigious athletic clubs. They fought to a no contest after 61 rounds.

      The fight's outcome did much more for Corbett's career than Jackson's, since reigning Heavyweight Champion, John L. Sullivan, drew the color line and refused to defend his title against black fighters.
      The fight vaulted Corbett to even greater national prominence and the public clamored for a contest between him and John L. Sullivan. The champion reluctantly agreed and the fight was finally set. Corbett went into rigorous training and was even more confident of his chances after sparring with Sullivan in a short exhibition match on a San Francisco stage. Despite the contest being held with both men attired in formal wear, it confirmed what Gentleman Jim had long suspected - he could feint Sullivan into knots.

      On September 7, 1892, at the Olympic Club in New Orleans, Louisiana, Corbett won the World Heavyweight Championship by knocking out John L. Sullivan in the 21st round. Corbett's new scientific boxing technique enabled him to dodge Sullivan's rushing attacks and wear him down with jabs.

      Jim Corbett did not prove to be a "Fighting Champion" in today's terms, meaning he defended the title very rarely. What must be remembered is this was an era before boxing commissions and the regulation of the sport was minimal at best. Boxing was outlawed in most states, so arranging a time and place for a bout was a hit or miss proposition at best. Corbett treasured his title and viewed it as the ultimate promotional tool for his two main sources of income, theatrical performances and boxing exhibitions.

      Corbett was by no means the first athlete to appear on stage. John L. Sullivan had done so before him and numerous fighters in the future would follow. What Corbett had over his fellow pugilists, past and present, was an above average competence as an actor. While no threat to the Barrymore's, Corbett was far superior to the other athletes from all sports who tried to make a dollar on the stage. In fact, the bulk of Corbett's income after he left the ring would be made as an actor in plays, on vaudeville, personal one man shows recounting his boxing career, and in silent films.

      In his only successful title defense on January 25, 1894, Corbett knocked out Charley Mitchell of Great Britain in three rounds. On September 7, 1894 he took part in the production of one of the first recorded boxing events, a fight with Peter Courtney. This was filmed at the Black Maria studio at West Orange, New Jersey in the USA and was produced by William K.L. Dickson. It was only the second boxing match to be recorded.

      Jim Corbett lost his Heavyweight Championship to the Cornish British boxer Bob Fitzsimmons in Carson City, Nevada. Corbett was dominant for most of the fight and knocked Fitzsimmons to the canvas in the sixth round. Fitzsimmons recovered and, though badly cut, rallied from that point on. When Mrs. Fitzsimmons called out, "Hit him in the slats, Bob!", where "slats" meant the abdominal area. The body blows took their toll and, though Corbett continued to masterfully outbox his opponent, ringsiders could see the champion slowing down. Fitzsimmons put Corbett down in the fourteenth round with a withering body blow to the solar plexus and Corbett, despite his best efforts to do so, could not regain his feet by the end of the ten count. This fight, lasting over an hour and a half, was released to cinemas later that year as The Corbett-Fitzsimmons Fight, the longest film ever released at the time.

      Devastated by the loss of his title, Corbett did everything he could to lure Fitzsimmons back into the ring. He was sure Fitzsimmons' victory had been a fluke, mostly attributed to his over training which left him short on stamina in the later rounds and was confident he would win the rematch. Perhaps Fitzsimmons felt the same way, for not even a thirty thousand dollar guaranteed purse posted by Corbett's manager, William Brady, could get Ruby Robert back into the ring with Gentleman Jim. Or it may have been Fitzsimmon's intense personal dislike of Corbett, who had often publicly insulted him, which ruled out any chance of another fight.

      Ironically, Fitzsimmons set the stage for what most boxing experts and ring historians consider to be Corbett's finest fight. Refusing to face Corbett, Ruby Robert chose the hulking James J. Jeffries, a former sparring partner of Corbett's and a big heavyweight even by modern standards, for his title defense. Fitzsimmons did some damage in the early rounds, but Jeffries weathered the storm and took the title in the eleventh round.

      James J. Jeffries had learned much of his trade training with Corbett and was now handled by Corbett's old manager, William Brady. Corbett, who had been put on the backburner during Fitzsimmons reign, wasted no time in suggesting a title fight between himself and his old sparring partner.

      Brady, liking Corbett and reflecting after a recent poor showing against Tom Sharkey that his old fighter had little left in the tank at age thirty-four, agreed to the match. The fight was set for the Seaside Arena in Coney Island, New York.

      While Jeffries went through the motions in training, Corbett prepared like a Spartan for battle. He knew, with his speed, he could box rings around his larger and stronger opponent, but he was giving up size, strength, almost thirty pounds in weight and a seven year age difference. The key was stamina and the ability to last the twenty-five round fight limit.

      The early rounds of the fight went according to script for both sides. Corbett would open fast and box pretty for a while, but "Big Jeff" would wear him down with a couple of body shots and put an end to the show. The only problem being Jeffries couldn't lay a glove on the "Dancing Master." Round after round Corbett had his way, darting in to land with a flurry of punches, then dancing away to avoid any sort of retaliation.

      By round twenty, Jeffries' corner was in a panic. Manager Brady dismissed trainer Tommy Ryan from the corner and took charge himself with the simple but direct order, "Knock him out or lose your title!" Such words were music to Corbett's ears. All he had to do was stay upright for the last five rounds and he would be Heavyweight Champion once again.

      Jeffries dispensed with trying to box his old mentor and now began to stalk Corbett around the ring, looking for an opening. Corbett danced away from any threat through the twenty-second round.

      Midway through the twenty-third round, Corbett leaned back to avoid a Jeffries blow, bounced off the ropes and was put on the canvas by a short right hand. The gallant effort was over in a blink of an eye.
      Corbett found himself embraced by the public as never before after his gallant effort to regain the title. The adoration was short lived after his next fight, a five round knockout over Kid McCoy, was widely believed to be a fix.

      Corbett managed to contest for the Heavyweight title one last time when he met Jeffries for a second match in San Francisco in 1903. Now thirty-seven, reflexes slowing, Corbett survived a withering body blow in the second round and used every trick he knew to hang on until being knocked out in the tenth.

      After boxing
      Following his retirement from boxing, Corbett returned to acting, appearing in low-budget films and in minstrel shows, wearing blackface in skits and giving talks about pugilism. He authored his autobiography under the title "The Roar of the Crowd"; the story was serialized by The Saturday Evening Post in six weekly installments during October/November 1894. The following year, G.P. Putnam's Sons published it in book form, marketing it as the "True Tale of the Rise and Fall of a Champion." In 1942, the story was made into a Hollywood motion picture titled, Gentleman Jim, starring Errol Flynn as Corbett.

      From 1903 until his death, Corbett lived in a three-story home in the Bayside neighborhood of Queens in New York City.

      In 1924, he had a friendly sparring match with the future champion Gene Tunney, an admirer of Corbett's scientific style. Tunney was amazed at the ability of Corbett to spar, even at the age of about 60, even claiming Corbett had better defense than Benny Leonard.

      On his passing in 1933, Corbett was interred in the Cypress Hills Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York. On its creation, he was elected posthumously to the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
      Corbett's brother, Joe Corbett, was a Major League Baseball pitcher.

      James J. Corbett was married to Olive Lake Morris from 1886 to 1895. After their divorce, he married the actress Jessie Taylor, also known by her stage name, Vera. She survived Corbett by more than a quarter century, living in their home at 221-04 Corbett Road in Bayside, New York, on the north shore of Queens, near the city limits.

      Corbett's great, great, great nephew, Dan Corbett, was a professional heavyweight boxer from San Antonio, Texas, who won the United States Boxing Federation and International Boxing Organization Intercontinental Heavyweight titles before retiring.
      Corbett had a record of 11 wins with 5 by knockout, 4 losses, 3 draws, 3 no contests and 3 no decisions (Newspaper Decisions: 3-0-0).
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-29-2013, 07:09 PM.


      • Carl Tyree Felker

        Born: July 29, 1894, Vienna, MO
        Died: February 21, 1977, St. Louis, MO, age 82,---d. complications following stroke.

        St. Louis sports editor;
        Carthage, MO, 5-year old, (June 15, 1900 census)
        Joplin, MO, abstracter, laundrette, (April 20, 1910 census)
        St. Louis, MO, Editor, Publishing, (April 7, 1930, census)
        St. Louis, MO, Assistant Publisher, Publishing Co., (April 9, 1940 census)
        Sporting News, editor, ? - 1959
        Graduated Missour University
        WWI, duty in France/England army air service
        St. Louis Times, headed copy desk
        St. Louis Post-Dispatch

        Father: Henry Clay, born Missouri, April, 1870; Mother: Jessie, born Missouri, August, 1872; Wife: Cora Schuette, born May 18, 1897, Missouri, died January, 1985, St. Louis, MO; Son: Clay S., born October 2, 1925, died July 1, 2008, NYC; Daughter: Charlotte T., born Missouri, around 1929 (Mrs. Patrick W. Gallagher).

        Carl was Taylor Spink's right hand man for 33 years. He was a Sporting Goods Dealer editor, a Sporting News publication, then transferred to The Sporting News

        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary, March 12, 1977, pp. 47.
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-29-2013, 06:19 PM.


        • Robert Micheal Lipsyte

          Born: January 16, 1938, NYC
          Died: Still alive

          New York sports writer;
          Bronx, NY, 2 year old, (April 10, 1940 census)

          Father: Sidney, born New York, around 1900; Mother: Fanny, born New York, around 1908;

          Robert Lipsyte (January 16, 1938) is an American sports journalist and author. Lipsyte is a member of the Board of Contributors for USA Today's Forum Page, part of the newspaper’s Opinion section.

          Personal background
          Robert Micheal Lipsyte was born on January 16, 1938 in New York. He grew up in Rego Park, a neighborhood in the New York city borough of Queens. Lipsyte’s father was a school principal, his mother a teacher. Young Robert devoted his childhood to books rather than sports. Instead of sharing a game of catch with his father, the two often visited the library. Robert's son, Sam Lipsyte, is also an author and teacher at Columbia University in New York.

          In the first chapter of his 1975 book SportsWorld, which considers the role of sports in American culture, Lipsyte points out that he did not even attend his first major league baseball game until he was thirteen years old, despite the fact that there were three major league teams in New York: the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers. Lipsyte says he was “profoundly disappointed” with his experience at the game and so went to only one more game “as a paying customer.” His third major league game was as a sports reporter for The New York Times.

          As a boy, Lipsyte did play Chinese handball against the sides of brick buildings and participated in street games such as stickball, but he felt acute pressure to excel at sports which discouraged his interest. This experience later developed into a major theme in some of Lipsyte’s nonfiction works such as SportsWorld and novels like Jock and Jill (1982) and his trilogy beginning with One Fat Summer (1977). The protagonist of One Fat Summer, Bobby Marks, is similar to Lipsyte: Bobby is an adolescent in the 1950s, suffering from a weight problem, who does something about it. In 1952, Lipsyte took a summer job as a lawn boy and lost forty pounds, ridding himself of the youthful stigma of excess weight.

          Lipsyte has done work as a correspondent for both CBS and NBC, in addition to an Emmy-winning stint as host of WNET/Thirteen's "The Eleventh Hour" in the late 1980s.

          Works of nonfiction
          Much of Lipsyte’s nonfiction deals with sports, but here again he rarely takes a conventional approach. He is especially concerned that children are subjected to sports in negative ways. Sports should be fun and entertaining; winning need not be the only goal. Although he is not anti-sport, he is disillusioned by a culture of champions that he calls “Sportsworld.” SportsWorld, as Lipsyte points out in the book by that name, “is a grotesque distortion of sports.” It honors the winner more than the race. As illustrated in The Contender, Lipsyte values the process more than the result; competing well is more important than winning itself.

          Lipsyte was among the first to accept and respect the heavyweight boxing champ Muhammad Ali. His agreement that Ali should be allowed to be himself is echoed in the title of his 1978 book on the complicated man: "Free to Be Muhammad Ali".

          He co-authored comedian and social activist Dick Gregory's 1964 autobiography, Niggar.

          In 1978, Robert Lipsyte was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Despite his eventual recovery from that first bout, he was diagnosed with cancer a second time in 1991. His experience with the illness led to another novel for young adults, The Chemo Kid (1992). In it, the protagonist, Fred Bauer, an ordinary high school junior in almost every way, discovers he has cancer and undergoes a series of experimental hormone treatments. Miraculously, Fred acquires superpowers, apparently due to the treatments, and becomes “The Chemo Kid,” fighting for the environment and against drug dealers.

          An adult consideration of cancer, and sickness in general, is Lipsyte’s 1998 nonfiction work, "In the Country of Illness". Here, he speaks of infirmity as if it is a foreign land, a place he calls “Malady . . . another country, scary and strange.” Basing his accounts on his own experiences, as well as those of other family members, he comforts, advises, warns, and informs the reader with tenderness, insight, and wit. Lipsyte’s second wife, Margie, learned that she had breast cancer after their divorce. Especially moving is the account of Lipsyte’s second wife Margie’s failing health, after being diagnosed with breast cancer, and the strength shown by Margie and their two young adult children.

          In this 2009 interview with SportsMediaGuide, Lipsyte said that he has come to realize "that most jocks are sissies..."

          Lipsyte's 2011 autobiography, "An Accidental Sportswriter," looks back at his long, unconventional career as a sports journalist at The New York Times and other outlets.

          In addition to the Emmy, Lipsyte’s honors and awards include the Dutton Best Sports Stories Award, E. P. Dutton, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1971, and 1976; the Mike Berger Award, Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, 1966 and 1996; Wel-Met Children’s Book Award, 1967; New York Times outstanding children’s book of the year citation, 1977; American Library Association best young adult book citation, 1977; and New Jersey Author citation, 1978.

          Lipsyte has been a resident of Closter, New Jersey. He was inducted into the New Jersey Literary Hall of Fame in 1993.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-29-2013, 05:36 PM.


          • J. Herbert Good---AKA Herb Good

            Born: August 29, 1910, Lancaster, PA
            Died: August 29, 1967, Philadelphia, PA, age 57,---d. of a heart attack at his desk at work on his birthday.

            Philadelphia sports writer;
            East Lampeter, PA, 9-year old, (January 20, 1920 census)
            Wilmington, DE, editor, newspaper, (April 11, 1930 census)(listed John H.)
            Haverford, DE, sports editor, newspaper, (April 19, 1940 census)
            Philadelphia Bulletin, sports writer

            Father: Harry C., born Pennsylvania, 1889?; Mother: Florence L., born Pennsylvania, 1887?; Wife: Suzanne, born Pennsylvania, 1914?; Daughter: Betsy, born Pennsylvania, 1937;

            January 25, 1953, Philadelphia, PA: Herb Good / Herb Score. At the Philadelphia sports writers' annual dinner.------------------------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary, September 16, 1967, pp. 42.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 11-02-2013, 01:25 PM.


            • Hey Bill,
              I found this great pic of Joe McCarthy with the press during spring training and thought I'd post it over here. Judging from the cold weather apparel, I'm guessing that it's either from Asbury Park, N.J. (1943) or Atlantic City (1944-1945).
              And hey, there were actually ID's on the back, so I knew you'd appreciate it. Cheers! ~B

              Wow! Great find, BSmile! Thanks for sharing it! Sid Mercer died June 18, 1945, so the photo had to have been taken before that.
              This photo might have been taken at St. Petersburg, FL on February 23, 1942. Jack Tanzer was the sports editor of Northside News only briefly in 1942.

              L-R: Milt Gross, Will Wedge, Dan Daniels, Rud Rennie, Earl Hilligan, Rex Weyant, Jack Tanzer, Sid Mercer, Toots Shore (Restaurant owner), Charles Segar, James Dawson, Joe McCarthy, John Schulte, Bert Gumbert.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-09-2012, 11:33 AM.
              Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"


              • Jack L. Tanzer

                Born: December 16, 1921, Tuckahoe, NY
                Died: February 7, 2005, New York, NY,---age 83,---d. complications from lung cancer.

                New York sports writer;
                New York, NY, 8-year old, (April 9, 1930 census)
                Long Island Daily Advocate, sports cartoonist,
                Northside News, sports editor, 1942
                US Army, Signal Corps, cryptographer
                Art Flynn Associates, 1946?
                ABC-TV, public relations,
                M. Knoedler & Company, Old Masters division President, January 30, 1966? - 1985
                Own gallery, 1985 - ?

                Father: Edward, born New York, around 1890; Mother: Frances, born Vienna, Austria, around 1891; Wife: Audrey; Daughter: Tara; Son: Edward

                New York Times' obituary, February 13, 2005
                TANZER--Jack. On February 7, 2005 in New York of complications from lung cancer. He was 83. For nearly 40 years, he was a dealer in American and Old Master paintings, having served as president of the Old Master Division of M. Knoedler & Co. in New York from January 1971-February 1985 where he produced many important exhibitions. Born in the Bronx, he combined his love of art and sports since childhood. He graduated from Evander Childs High School, worked as a cartoonist for Walt Disney in California, drew cartoons for the Long Island Daily Advocate, and in 1942 became the sports editor of the Northside News. He served as a cryptographer in the U.S. Army, later returning to New York. He joined Art Flynn Associates, a public relations firm, where he handled clients including the New York Giants and became the 18-year-old Willy Mays' legal guardian. Later, he did public relations for ABC-TV's ''Wednesday Night Fights.'' In 1966, he returned to his primary interest in the fine arts; in 1967 he formed a partnership with the Boston art dealer Warren Adelson. It was from that time that Jack Tanzer went on to establish an exceptional career in the art world commencing with his first important client and subsequent personal friend, Walter P. Chrysler, Jr., whose great and varied art collection later became the core of the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk, Va. Tanzer later gave his collection of Pre-Columbian art and his Warhol portrait to that institution. He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Audrey; his daughter, Tara; son, Edward; two grandchildren, three great-grandchildren, and a sister, Lilian Campo. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to New York City Division of the American Cancer Society, 19 W. 56th Street, NY, NY 10019.
                New York Sun obituary, February 15, 2005
                By STEPHEN MILLER, Staff Reporter of the Sun

                Jack Tanzer, 83, Storied Dealer of Old Masters
                Jack Tanzer, who died February 7 at age 83, was once a PR man for the New York baseball Giants who fed Frankie Frisch statistics for his radio broadcasts. He went on to become one of the leading art dealers in the city, specializing in Old Masters and numbering among his customers such connoisseurs as Armand Hammer, Imelda Marcos, and the Shah of Iran.

                As president of the Old Masters division at M. Knoedler & Company, Tanzer was intimately involved in the painstaking negotiations involved when Hammer negotiated an unprecedented loan of 41 Impressionist and post-Impressionist works from the Soviet Hermitage museum at the height of the Cold War in 1973.

                By all accounts, Tanzer was a master schmoozer. As a deal-maker, he was noted for complicated schemes that met multifarious demands. A former dealer at Knoedler, John Richardson, in his book "Sacred Masters, Sacred Monsters," reported on the patter: "Throw in the little Renoir to sweeten things, he would cajole another dealer, and the Doctor [Hammer, owner of Knoedler] will let you in on the Eakins; or, give us a half share in the Canaletto, and Warhol will do a portrait of your wife. Tanzer could turn a minor Vlaminck into two Frank Stellas and, after a few more permutations, end up with a Rembrandt drawing."

                Tanzer's family was from the Bronx, but he was born in Tuckahoe, where his family had fled while fearing an outbreak of whooping cough, Tanzer's sister, Lilian Campo, recalled. Soon they were back in the Bronx, where Tanzer became a Giants fanatic and attended Evander Childs High School. A schoolboy artist, he apparently first got involved in professional art through an ad on a matchbook cover. At 18 he ended up as an animation intern for the Walt Disney Studio in Los Angeles.

                With the outbreak of World War II, Tanzer decided to quit and return to New York to wait for his draft number to come up. The pay at Disney was so bad that he had to take a job washing dishes to pay for his ticket, his wife, Audrey Tanzer, said.

                Tanzer ran sports cartoons in the Long Island Daily Advocate, a paper located in Ridgewood, and in 1942 briefly worked as a sports editor before being drafted into the Army Signal Corps.

                After the war, he took a job with Art Flynn Associates, a public relations firm that represented several upscale brands (Longines, Gillette) and, most thrillingly for Tanzer, the Giants. He produced the daily "Giants Jottings" radio show for WMCAAM and toured with the team to help Frisch - known to New Yorkers who recalled his athletic prowess as the "Fordham Flash" - with game broadcasts. During spring training, it was Tanzer's job to sign players to contracts with Topps, the baseball card company, Ms. Tanzer said.

                When Willie Mays was a rookie on the Giants at age 20, Tanzer was assigned to look after him. He booked Mr. Mays on television shows and promotional appearances, but failed to prevent him from eloping to Maryland with a fashion model rumored to be a gold digger a few years later, Ms. Tanzer recalled.

                The marriage did not last.

                Sports had been Tanzer's first love. It was inculcated by his father, a frustrated aspiring major leaguer, and nurtured by his holding any Giants fan's dream job. Thus, in 1958, "he was heartbroken when the Giants left," Ms. Campo said.

                He briefly represented a chain of bowling alleys and did public relations for televised boxing matches, but his heart wasn't in it.

                Tanzer eventually reverted to art, his other talent. At first, he tried painting, especially during summer vacations on Monhegan Island, off the Maine coast. There, he was friendly with local artists, as well as with the actor Zero Mostel, with whom he shared a passion for pre-Columbian art.

                In 1967, a chance meeting with Boston art dealer Warren Adelson led to a gallery partnership that quickly became a successful business. One important early client was the automobile heir Walter P. Chrysler Jr., whom Adelson helped to amass one of the outstanding American art collections. Chrysler eventually established a museum at Norfolk, Va.; among its collections are Tanzer's pre-Columbian art, which he donated, and a portrait of Tanzer by Andy Warhol.

                Of Tanzer's relationship with Chrysler, Mr. Richardson wrote in "Sacred Monsters": "Tanzer knew that Walter Chrysler, Jr. - a rogue whose excessive tax deductions for blatant fakes had been disallowed by the IRS - needed to acquire some respectable Old Masters on the cheap. And so he arranged for Chrysler to take a number of discredited paintings, which had been on Knoedler's books for fifty years or more at huge valuations, in exchange for one superb Cezanne. This was a deal after Hammer's own heart: nothing tickled the old tortoise as much as getting something for free."

                By this time, Tanzer had gone to work at Knoedler, in which Hammer had purchased a controlling interest in 1971. Because of his long and close relationship with the Soviet Politburo elite, Hammer was able to arrange for the Hermitage show, which moved on to the National Gallery in Washington, D.C., after being shown at Knoedler.

                Among the gallery's more celebrated customers was the Shah of Iran, who was so avid an art collector that Tanzer actually considered opening a branch gallery in Teheran to sell to the royal family, Mr. Adelson said. Imelda Marcos also bought at Knoedler. In 1990, when she was tried on charges of expropriating $222 million from the Philippines treasury, Tanzer testified that she had given Knoedler $2.2 million for a sculpture and four paintings, including "Trois Danseuse" by Edouard Degas.

                After retiring from Knoedler in 1985, Tanzer opened his own gallery on East 72nd Street, where he continued to deal in the art he loved. Instead of Monhegan, he and his wife spent increasing amounts of time in Europe, especially Rome.

                Born December 16, 1921; died February 7 in New York of lung cancer; survived by his wife of 53 years, Audrey; his daughter, Tara, son, Edward, two grandchildren, three great-grandchildren, and his sister, Lilian Campo.
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-29-2013, 05:12 PM.


                • J. Ira Seebacher

                  Born: January 29, 1911, Pennsylvania
                  Died: February 5, 1981, New Castle, NY, age 70

                  New York sports writer;
                  Lived NYC, 8 years old, (January 15, 1920 census)
                  NYC, brokerage clerk, (April 7, 1930 census)
                  NYC, newspaper writer, (April 10, 1940 census)
                  New York Moring Telegraph, sports editor, (35 years)
                  Photo Weekly, managing editor,

                  Mother: Ferdie M., born around 1885, Indiana; Wife: Sophie; Son: Dr. Jay Robert Seebacher;

                  --------------------------------------------------------------New York Times' obituary, February 13, 1981, pp. 16.
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-14-2012, 01:35 PM.


                  • William Noble Wallace

                    Born: April 29, 1924, District of Columbia
                    Died: August 11, 2012, Westport, CT, age 88,---d. acute myeloid leukemia

                    New York sports writer;
                    Harrison, NY, 6-year old, (April 7, 1930 census)
                    Harrison, NY, 16-year old, (April, 1940)
                    Graduated Yale University, 1945
                    New York World-Telegram, yachting writer,
                    New York Herald Tribune, 1957 - 1962
                    New York Times, sports writer, 1957 - 2007

                    Father: Lew, Jr., born Indiana, around 1892; Mother: Josephine, born Indiana, around 1894; Wife: Linda De Refler; Daughter: Eve; Daughter: Josephine; Daughter: Carol Hamlin; Daughter: Alexis Silverman

                    New York Times' obituary, August 16, 2012
                    Award-winning New York Times' sports reporter for 35 years, William N. Wallace died on August 11, 2012 at Norwalk Hospital in Connecticut of complications from acute myloid leukemia it was announced by his wife of 32 years, Linda De Refler Wallace.

                    Bill Wallace was the first reporter to cover The New York Giants on a regular basis for the paper. He also reported from Newport, RI on The Americus Cup, as well as on skiing, car racing and other sports events during his tenure. Bill Wallace was inducted into the NFL Writers Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio in 1989 and was awarded the Jake Wade trophy by Collegiate Sports Information Directors of America.

                    Prior to joining The New York Times he had reported various sports for the World Telegram and Sun and The Herald Tribune. A graduate of Yale '45W, he authored 12 books, the latest being The Yale Iron Men. He was the last male survivor of General Lew Wallace who wrote Ben Hur.

                    In addition to his wife, he is survived by daughters Eve and Josephine Wallace, Carol Hamlin and Alexis De Refler Silverman and stepdaughter Samantha De Refler, five grandchildren and his sister, Susan Drake.

                    A Memorial Service will be held on Wednesday, September 12th, 2012 at 12 noon at The Pequot Library in Southport, CT.
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-29-2013, 04:01 PM.


                    • Harry Frank Reutlinger---AKA Harry Reutlinger

                      Born: August 10, 1896, Chicago, IL
                      Died: November 20, 1962, Chicago, IL, age 66,---d. cancer

                      Chicago sports editor;
                      3-year old, family lived in Chicago, (June 4, 1900 census)
                      13-year old, lived Chicago, (April 19, 1910 census)
                      Chicago daily reporter, (January 5, 1920 census)
                      Chicago city editor, daily newspaper, (1940 census)
                      Chicago Evening American, city editor, July 25, 1930? - December 11, 1948?
                      Chicago American, managing editor, ? - 1961
                      Chicago Herald-American, city editor
                      Chicago Herald-American, city editor, (WWII Civilian Draft Registration)

                      Father: Emil, born March, 1855, Germany; Mother: Carrie Wurgburger, born April, 1865, Illinois;

                      Lived in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

                      February 14, 1958: Harry Reutlinger / Frank Smith.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Los Angeles Times' obituary, November 21, 1962, pp. 11.
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-16-2012, 09:58 PM.


                      • Timothy J. Kawakami---AKA Tim Kawakami

                        Born: October 8, 1965, San Francisco, CA
                        Died: Still Alive

                        Mother's maiden name, Abe

                        Tim is a sports columnist for the San Jose Mercury News.
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-16-2013, 02:04 PM.


                        • Robert Alexander Drysdale---AKA Bob Drysdale

                          Born: March 26, 1896, Denver, CO
                          Died: March 17, 1965, Springfield, IL, age 68,---d. St. John's Hospital (Springfield, IL).

                          Springfield (IL) sports writer;
                          Graduated Springfield HS,
                          Graduated University of Illinois
                          Lived Chicago, IL, student, U. of Illinois, (WWI Civilian Draft Registration)
                          Illinois State Journal, staff member, 1920 - 1922, sports editor, 1922 - 1959
                          Lived Springfield, IL, worked for Illinois State Journal, (WWII Civilian Draft Registration)
                          Chicago, IL, 4-year old, (June 13, 1900 census)
                          Chicago, IL, 14-year old, (April 21, 1910 census)
                          Springfield, IL, newspaper editor, (April 16, 1930 census)
                          Springfield, IL, newspaper sports editor, (1940 census)

                          Father: John G., born Ireland, August, 1868, immigrated US, 1872; Mother: Margaret A., born Scotland, April 1868; Wife: Marguerite, born Michigan around 1895. Bob married Marguerite around 1925; Son: John J., born Illinois around 1927.

                          Bob's main claim to fame was dreaming up a junior golf tournament in 1937, which still bears his name to this day - the Drysdale Golf Tournament.

                          His nickname was Dry and his column was 'The Dope Bucket'. He was fluent in writing on baseball, basketball, football and harness racing. He did not play golf even though his writings sounded as if he was an expert. Bob was inducted into the Springfield Sports Hall of Fame in 1991. Bob was the sports editor of the Illinois State Journal for 27 years, 1922 - 1959.

                          Bob spent most of his life in Springfield, IL, having graduated high school there.
                          It wasn’t always known as the Drysdale Tournament, nor was it always the Bob Drysdale Junior Golf Tournament.

                          But just who was this Drysdale guy, and why is a 71-year-old golf tournament named for him?

                          When Illinois State Journal sports editor Bob Drysdale thought up the idea of staging a junior golf tournament in 1937, it was dubbed the Central Illinois Junior Golf Tournament.

                          With the assistance of Springfield Park District golf professional George Knight Sr., Drysdale launched one of the first junior golf events held in downstate Illinois. The inaugural drew 30 “mashie swingers,” as Drysdale called the young golfers, to Pasfield Park in early August of ’37.

                          Drysdale, the sports editor of the Journal from 1922-59, was a Denver native who spent most of his life in Springfield. He was a graduate of Springfield High School and the University of Illinois, and he became a fixture on the central Illinois sports scene.

                          Known as “Dry” to his readers, he provided all of his observations and opinions in his trademark sports column, “The Dope Bucket.” According to a March, 1965 Illinois State Journal story upon Drysdale’s death, he was part of a central Illinois sports-writing triumverate along with Howard Millard of the Decatur Herald & Review and Fred Young of the Bloomington Pantagraph.

                          While writing about many of the mainstream sports of the day such as baseball, basketball and football, Drysdale also was considered one of the nation’s leading authorities on harness racing.

                          Ironically, the 1965 Illinois State Journal story said Drysdale did not play golf. But he promoted and wrote about the event as though he was a lifelong “mashie swinger.”
                          Also during the 1930s, Drysdale created a basketball tournament for grade-school boys teams.

                          “Dry had what, it seems to me, so many people lack today: enthusiasm,” wrote sports editor Ed Alsene on March 18, 1965, the day after Drysdale died. “He had it to the end.”
                          The golf tournament was renamed for Drysdale later that year, and it has carried his name since.
                          by Dave Kane, State Journal-Register, July 11, 2008
                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-03-2012, 10:16 AM.


                          • Howard Vayne Millard

                            Born: August 30, 1891, Peoria, IL
                            Died: October 23, 1961, Fresno, CA, age 70

                            Illinois sports writer;
                            Graduated Illinois Wesleyan University (Bloomington, IL), 1917
                            Decatur Herald, sports editor, 1920 - 1958
                            Decatur, IL, Herald & Review, sports editor, (WWII Civilian Draft Registration)
                            Peoria, IL, 8-year old, (June 8, 1900 census)
                            Lived Mahaska, Iowa, 18-year old, (April 22, 1910 census)
                            Peoria, IL, Newspaper reporter, (January 3, 1920 census)(listed Miller)
                            Decatur, IL, sports editor, (April 15, 1930 census)
                            Decatur, IL, newspaper sports editor, (April 12, 1940 census)

                            Father: William, born Illinois, September, 1867 Mother: Mason, born Illinois; Wife: Thelma, born Indiana around 1899; Son: Harry, born Illinois around 1922;

                            Howard was the sports editor of the Decatur Herald for 38 years, 1920 - 1958.

                            Howard Millard, the president of the Midwest League’s predecessor Illinois State League in 1947 and 1948, was sports editor for the Decatur (Illinois) Review (later the Herald and Review) from 1920 through 1958. For his entire tenure in Decatur Millard wrote a column called “Bait for Bugs.” He was good at his job, but covering the Three-I League for The Sporting News didn’t bring him national fame. He was unusually active in Illinois, however, founding and presiding over the Illinois Associated Press Sports Editors Association.

                            H.V. Millard had a parallel career as a football and basketball official. Millard’s officiating career apparently began before the First World War and ended during the Second. He began by officiating local high school games, eventually becoming a prominent Illinois sports official and overseeing tournament games in neighboring states. By the late 1920s he was working Big Ten games in both sports, an association which he’d continue until he retired from officiating. He also served as president of the Athletic Officials Association of Illinois, another organization he helped create.

                            In the 1950s Millard would write and publish two editions of a book documenting the history of the Illinois high school basketball tournament. He was eminently qualified to produce this book, since he’d participated–as an athlete, official, or sports writer–in nearly every year’s tournament.

                            Apparently all this activity wasn’t enough, since Millard occasionally moonlighted as a sports executive. Soon after he arrived in Decatur he handled publicity for George Halas’ Decatur Staleys football club. In 1929 he moved to Dayton, Ohio, to serve as president of the local minor league baseball team. When team failed after the season for reasons unrelated to Millard’s presidency, he returned to his sports editor position in Decatur.

                            There are references to a stint as president of the Central League, apparently in the 1920s. I’ve been unable to verify this.

                            Presumably Millard had more time after he stopped refereeing big-school sports. H.V. served as General Manager of the Decatur Commodores baseball club in 1946, helping resurrect the Three-I League after the War. This community service effort lasted only one summer, as he resigned the position in the fall.

                            Millard’s next project oversaw the birth of a minor league to serve southern Illinois. Late in 1946 he announced the formation of the six-team Illinois State League, with himself as league president and C.C. Hoffman as VP. He served as ISL prexy for two seasons, then surrendered the job to Dutch Hoffman. Millard later served as secretary to the ISL’s successors–the Mississippi-Ohio Valley and Midwest Leagues–from 1954 until his 1958 retirement.

                            Personal Life
                            Howard Millard was born in Peoria, Illinois, on August 30, 1891, and was educated in Peoria schools. There’s some evidence that he attended Central College in Pella, Iowa, soon after completing high school, but he received his sheepskin from Illinois Wesleyan in 1917. He reportedly played basketball at both institutions, and captained the Wesleyan basketball team.

                            Millard apparently served in the military, probably during World War I, though I’ve been unable to find any details. He lived in Moline in 1919, then began his career in journalism at the Peoria Star. The next year he moved to Decatur, where he’d live and work for most of his life.

                            Millard married Thelma Brannan, of Decatur (a “society girl,” according to a newspaper announcement), on August 6, 1923. The Millards had a son, Harry, who they called Buddy. Buddy, their only child, often accompanied his father on officiating gigs.

                            Howard Millard retired from his newspaper position on October 1, 1958, at which time he and Thelma moved to California. Millard passed away on October 23, 1961, at the Fresno Veterans Administration hospital, after suffering a heart attack. He was buried in Decatur. The Sporting News published his obituary in the November 1 edition; a week later C.C. Johnson Spink noted Millard’s passing on TSN‘s editorial page. In 1972 he was elected to the Illinois Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame.

                            ----------------------------------------------------Mt. Vernon Register News' obituary (Mt. Vernon, IL), October 24, 1961, pp. 8.
                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-28-2013, 08:35 PM.


                            • Irwin Martin Howe

                              Born: June 21, 1866, Minnesota
                              Died: March 26, 1934, Chicago, IL, age 67,---d. after 3 months, succumbed to kidney problem, at Michael Reese Hospital in Chicago, IL.

                              Baseball statistician;
                              Grand Rapids, IL, 6-years old, (June 30, 1870 census)
                              Lake, IL, 14-year old, (June 9, 1880 census)
                              Chicago, IL, Printer, (June 7, 1900 census)
                              Downers Grove, IL, Publisher, book, (April 30, 1910 census)
                              Downers Grove, IL, station agent, railroad, (February 6, 1920 census)
                              Downers Grove, IL, Statistician, sports baseball, (April 4, 1930 census)

                              Father: John G., born New York, around 1819; Mother: Esther, born New York, around 1820; Wife: Justine A., born Illinois, around 1869; Daughter: Alice F., born Illinois, around 1896; Daughter: Margaret E., born Illinois, around 1898; Son: Frederick K., born Illinois, around 1900;

                              Irvin arrived in Chicago in 1888. He was a printer from 1888 to 1908. He drifted into baseball stats and became the American League's official statisticain and also for a number of minor leagues. He served as secretary for the Chicago chapter of BBWAA for several years. Mr. Howe would also occasionally write some baseball articles.

                              ----------------------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary, April 5, 1934, pp. 6.
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-26-2013, 08:34 PM.


                              • Albert Munro Elias

                                Born: June 5, 1872, Charleston, SC
                                Died: August 1, 1939, New York City, NY, age 67,

                                Baseball statistician;
                                Charleston, SC, 7-year old, (June 2, 1880 census)
                                Charleston, SC, traveling salesman, (June 1, 1900 census)
                                New York, NY, commercial traveling salesman, salad oil, (April 29, 1910 census)
                                New York, NY, baseball, (January 31, 1920 census)
                                New York, NY, baseball, News bureau, Proprietor, (April 14, 1930 census)
                                Elias Baseball Bureau, 1913 - 1939

                                Father: Lewis, born Germany, around 1841; Mother: Mary, born South Carolina, around 1842; Second wife: Helen;

                                Al founded his own baseball statistics bureau with his brother, Walter. They kept the official records for the National League, International League and many other leagues. He lost a leg in a Florida car accident. His brother Walter was the general manager and took over after Al's death in 1938. Their office was at 11 West 42nd St., New York, New York.

                                Al suffered an auto accident in 1928 in Tampa, FL and it required amputating his left leg. He suffered a slight stroke in 1936 and it caused him to remain home most of the time. A second and more serious stroke on July 19, 1937 left him a hopeless invalid.

                                Sporting News' obituary, August 10, 1939, pp. 2.

                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-26-2013, 07:41 PM.


                                Ad Widget