No announcement yet.

Meet The Sports Writers

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Keith Edward Lewis

    Born: April 8, 1955, Gloucester, England
    Died: Still Alive

    Sports editor;
    The Walpole Times, sports editor, 1999 - September 1, 2011

    "I am disappointed that GateHouse has destroyed the Times and laid off legendary Sports Editor Keith Lewis."

    Keith Lewis has covered the sports section of the Walpole Times with witty headlines, creative nicknames, and memorable articles for the last twelve years. After recent staffing and content changes within the Walpole Times, Mr. Lewis has been downgraded from a full-time writer and editor of the Sports Section to a freelance contributor. Mr. Lewis was discouraged about this change of status because after thoroughly covering all sports in this town for twelve years, he now will no longer be the sole voice of Rebel Athletics.

    Hired by the original owner of the Times, Mr. Lewis tried his multiple writing skills on many different types of stories. Over time though, he found his professional niche within the realm of high school sports. In 2003, he even earned the New England Press Association Award for Outstanding Sportswriting — an award he said felt like winning “the Stanley Cup” of his field.

    After writing for twelve years about the Rebels, Mr. Lewis has developed a certain pride in his coverage. Mr. Lewis was a consistent and passionate reporter for every sport, not just the most successful teams. Fans and athletes alike grew accustomed to seeing the jet-black hair of Mr. Lewis (who is also an Elvis impersonator) as he took pictures, made small-talk with fans, and interviewed athletes on the sidelines of all sports.

    He said, “Years of writing has left my mind crammed with names, dates, appointments, scores and enough information to make me a Walpole Trivial Pursuit game.” He added, “[Walpole is] a unique town, with people who know and respect qualities like sportsmanship, teamwork, dedication, as well as refusing to take the easy way out.”

    In particular, he had a unique skill of taking a devastating loss for Walpole team and putting a positive spin on the article by getting quotes from players. Tirelessly, he tracked down athletes and coaches for interviews in person, over the phone, or via email. He also said he loved working with the high school, in particular, because of the “great bunch of coaches, most very helpful to the press and totally concerned about their players and their learning experiences.”

    According to many people in the town, Lewis’s coverage inspired the kids through recognition in his articles. He said that in return, the kids inspired him to write more colorfully—a big reason why he loved his job. Most of the recognition had a creative twist: “There is no Shane in losing,” (Shane Blass, Boys Indoor Track), “Cullen-ary delight” (Football), “LaMortified” (Anthony LaMorte, Wrestling), and “Brookline vs. Brick Line” (Football). Lewis also came up with many nicknames that cleverly incorporated athletes’ names. “McDerminator” was a name he came up with for all-star pitcher Sean McDermott; “Dave ‘Flyin’ Wians” and “Dave the Rave” for track runners Dave Wians and Dave Connors; and “Small Frei” for the youngest swimmer (and reporter) in a family with the last name Freiberger.

    As he considers the next major career step, Lewis will still be a part of the town at times because of his job as a freelance writer, and he hopes to write a book as well in his free time. Undoubtedly, the many fans of Lewis’s work will definitely buy copies of that book.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-17-2013, 04:33 PM.


    • Max David Sandeman

      Born: September 10, 1917, Creston, IA
      Died: November 22, 1989, Creston, IA, age 72,---d. cancer at Greater Community Hospital, Creston, Iowa.

      Creston (IA) sports editor;
      Creston, IA, 2-year old, (January 12, 1920 census)
      Creston, IA, 12-year old, (April 4, 1930 census)
      Creston, IA, 22-year old, no job, (April 10, 1940 census)
      Graduated Creston HS (Creston, IA), 1937
      Creston (IA) News Advertiser, sports editor,

      Father: Harry B., born Illinois, around 1874; Mother: Pearl Galbraith, born Illinois, around 1880; Wife: Alberta 'Birdie' Mae Keesey; Daughter: Lynn; Daughter: Kaye; Daughter: Beth; Son: Scott

      "Former Creston News Advertiser legendary sports editor Max Sandeman shared similar stories about Brown when I first started here in 1984."

      Max David Sandeman, 1917-1989
      Date: 10/22/2009 at 11:05:37

      Creston News Advertiser, Creston, Iowa
      November 1989

      Max Sandeman Dies-Creston
      Max David Sandeman, 72, of 1104 Lake Street, Creston, passed away Wednesday morning, November 22, 1989, of cancer at Greater Community Hospital in Creston.

      He was born September 10, 1917, in Creston, the son of Harry B. and Pearl (Galbraith) Sandeman. On October 5, 1947, he married Alberta Mae Keesey in Creston.

      He was a lifelong Creston resident, where he was sports editor for the Creston News Advertiser for more than 40 years and was semi-retired. He was a member of the First United Methodist Church, Crestmoor Golf Club and BPOE No., 605. He was a veteran of World War II serving in the U.S. Army.

      Mr. Sandeman is survived by his wife, Alberta "Birdie" of Creston; three daughters, Lynn and husband Mark Barrett and Kaye Sandeman of Ames and Beth and husband Todd Nielsen of Creston; a son, Scott and wife, Terri Sandeman of Bettendorf; two grandsons; and a sister, Greta Vetterick of Creston. He was preceded in death by his parents and seven brothers.

      Funeral services were held Saturday morning at the First United Methodist Church with the Rev. M. Wayne Clark officiating. Burial was at Graceland Cemetery with the Coen-Beaty Funeral Home in charge of the arrangements.

      Memorials may be directed to Crestmoor Golf Club or the Creston High School.
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-25-2013, 03:43 PM.


      • Oscar Kahan

        Born: February 9, 1909, Missouri
        Died: December 21, 1980, St. Louis, MO, age 71,---d. Firmin Desloge Hospital, St. Louis, MO, of complications following surgery.

        St. Louis sports writer;
        Graduated University of Missouri, 1930
        St. Louis, MO, 4-months old, (April 16, 1910 census)
        St. Louis, MO, 10-year old, (January 21, 1920 census)
        St. Louis, MO, Daily Newspaper, news service editor, (April 15, 1940 census)
        St. Louis Star-Times (1930's)
        Associated Press (New York)
        Associated Press (Kansas City)
        Sporting News, assistant managing editor, 1948 - 1981

        Father: Samuel D., born Russia, around 1880, immigrated to US, 1904; Mother: Berlin (Esther): born Russia, around 1885, immigrated to US, 1905; Wife: Myra, born July 15, 1913, died November 12, 2001, Edgewater, NJ; Daughter: Judith Sutphen, born October 11, 1939, died August 1, 1999; Daughter: Laura Andia; Son: James

        January 12, 1977: Johnson Spink / Assistant managing editor, Oscar Kahan.
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-25-2013, 02:06 PM.


        • Francis Marion Blunk---AKA Frank Blunk

          Born: December 13, 1896, Louisville, KY
          Died: December 15, 1976, Jackson Heights (Queens), NY, age 79,---d. after a short illness.

          New York sports writer;
          Louisville, KY, (June 13, 1900 census)
          Louisville, KY, 13-year old, (April 20, 1910 census)
          Hoke, KY, Newspaper, reporter, (January 7, 1920 census)(listed Frances)
          New York, NY, Newspaper, editor, (1940 census)
          Buenos Aires La Nacion
          Louisville Herald (KY),
          Louisville Courier-Journal (KY),
          Louisville Herald-Post (KY),
          New Orleans Times-Picayune
          Associated Press
          New York Times, sports writer, 1934 - 1968

          Father: Murray E., born Kentucky, May, 1875; Mother: Lucy L., born Kentucky, August, 1877; Wife: Abbie C., born Kentucky, around 1900; Son: Fidelis, born Kentucky, around 1913;

          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-25-2013, 01:48 PM.


          • Calvin Nicholas Pokas---AKA Cal Pokas

            Born: August 8, 1933, Bellaire, OH
            Died: January 9, 2000, Martins Ferry, West Virginia, age 66,---d. at Wheeling Hospital in Wheeling, West Virginia of an undisclosed illness.

            Martin Ferry, OH, sports editor;
            Bellaire, OH, 6-year old, (April 4, 1940 census)
            Martin Ferry Times Leader (OH), sports editor, 1955 - 1995

            Father: Nick, born Greece, around 1893: Mother: Spiridoula Stethullis, born Greece, around 1905; Wife: Betty J. Gatchel;

            Find A Grave

            "Yocum was a sports writer in 1978-79, working under legendary sports editor Cal Pokas."

            Cal Pokas (Bellaire High School) was another giant in the sports writing profession who cut his eye teeth under Bill Van Horne and developed into one of the area’s true newspaper greats in his own right.

            Pokas, who died in 2000, was employed for 40 years at The Times Leader, including 29 memorable years for Ohio Valley sports fans as the sports editor. He also was assistant sports editor, a courthouse and political reporter and Martins Ferry City Editor. Even after his retirement, Cal continued to contribute to his newspaper’s sports pages with his weekly 'Eye on the Bucks' column about Ohio State football. Pokas also personally saw to it that many of the so-called minor sports such as cross-country, track and volleyball, received their share of coverage in his newspaper.

            Pokas was deeply interested in the OVAC throughout his career and he devoted much of his spare time to serving on committees for the Rudy Mumley Charity Football All-Star Classic, along with compiling standings for the football and basketball championship races. He also served on a media relations committee for the bi-state league. Pokas had a term as president of the Ohio Prep Sports Writers Association, and was commissioner of the Ohio Valley Baseball League for 23 years. His interests in the community went beyond the world of sports as Pokas served on an advisory board for the Salvation Army; was Belmont County Chairman of the Multiple Sclerosis Association; and filled a seat on the Martins Ferry Civil Service Commission for 32 years until his death.

            Pokas’ honors were numerous. In 1960 he was presented a Community Service Award by United Press International. The Ohio Prep Sports Writers Association named him Sports Writer of the Year in 1976 and he was given a Distinguished Service Award from the Ohio Association of Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches.

            Cal was selected to the Ohio Prep Sports Writers Hall of Fame and the UPI Sports Editors Association Hall of Fame. He also received service awards from the Ohio Valley Golf Coaches Association, the OVAC; Ohio Valley Football Coaches Association; Ohio Baseball Hall of Fame; and he was honored to be presented the first Sportsmanship Ethics and Integrity Award for the Eastern District from the OHSAA. Pokas was a 'Mr. Mat' award honoree at the OVACWrestling Tournament, along with being selected for Bellaire High School’s Wall of Fame. He was named as the Honorary Referee for the Wheeling Park Track Classic because of contributions to Ohio Valley youth.
            Cal Pokas, whose 40-year career at the T-L began in 1955, used to refer to himself as the assistant publisher's "mistake," because he had no journalistic training and couldn't type when hired by the assistant publisher. Much of his career was devoted to sports although he could handle news equally well as his first honor was the first Community Service Award given in the state by a wire news service.

            Not only did Pokas champion girls' sports at a time when most media ignored them, but he also wrote about many other sports which didn't receive much attention. It's not surprising that a championship for one of those sports now bears his name - the Cal Pokas-OVAC Cross Country Championships.
            Cal Pokas, 66, sports editor
            MARTINS FERRY, Ohio -- Cal Pokas, sports editor of The Times Leader in Martins Ferry for 29 years, died Sunday. He was 66. Pokas, who had been hospitalized with an undisclosed illness, worked for The Times Leader for 40 years and continued covering Ohio State football part-time after his retirement. He and his wife, Betty, who still works for The Times Leader, covered Ohio State football games as a team. They could be seen transcribing quotes and editing copy after most Buckeye games at Ohio Stadium. Pokas was a past president of the Ohio Prep Sports Writers Association and was honored by the organization as its state writer of the year in 1976 and as a member of its hall of fame. He also was inducted into the UPI Sports Editors Association hall of fame. In addition to his wife, survivors include two sons, a daughter, a sister and three brothers and four grandchildren.

            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bryan Times' (Bryan, OH), obituary, January 20, 2000, pp. 15.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-25-2013, 11:52 AM.


            • Joseph Francis McCarron

              Born: September 24, 1898, Pennsylvania
              Died: October 1, 1962, Allentown, PA, age 63,---d. at Sacred Heart Hospital (Allentown, PA).

              Allentown sports editor;
              Philadelphia, PA, 1-year old, (June 8, 1900 census)
              Philadelphia, PA, 12-year old, (1910 census)
              Allentown, PA, Newespaper, reporter, (January, 1920 census)
              Allentown, PA, Newspaper, reporter, (April 10, 1930 census)
              Allentown, PA, Daily paper, sports editor, (April 3, 1940 census)
              Allentown Morning Call (PA), sports editor,

              Father: John, born Ireland, March, 1870; Mother: Mary, born Ireland, January, 1866; Wife: Helen;

              Sporting News' obituary, October 13, 1962, pp. 30.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM.


              • William Lair Hill Gregory---AKA L. H. Gregory

                Born: May 18, 1886, Portland, OR
                Died: August 15, 1975, Portland, OR, age 89,---d. at Portland nursing home.

                Portland (OR) sports editor;
                Portland, OR, 14-year old, (June 7, 1900 census)
                Portland, OR, 23-year old, no job, (1910 census)
                Portland, OR, editor, newspaper, (January 5, 1920 census)
                Portland, OR, Newspaper, newspaperman, (April 10, 1930 census)
                Portland, OR, Newspaper, sporting editor, (April 12, 1940 census)
                Portland Oregonian, 1914 - 1921, veteran sports editor, 1921 - September 1, 1973
                Portland Telegram,
                Oregon Journal (Portland, OR),
                San Francisco Call,

                Father: William M., born New York, December, 1852; Mother: Lenore S., born Oregon, October, 1854; Wife: Kate Dallam, born Washington, 1884, died 1957; Daughter: Alice K., born Oregon, around 1922;

                Bend Bulletin (OR), retirement, August 24, 1973, pp. 15.-------------Sporting News' obituary, August 30, 1975, pp. 46.----------------January 2, 1953.
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-10-2013, 12:31 AM.


                • Virgil Lloyd Currence---AKA Stubby Currence

                  Born: August 9, 1904, Elkins, West Virginia
                  Died: March 31, 1981, Bluefield, VA, age 76,

                  Bluefield, VA sports editor;
                  Leadsville, WV, 5-year old, (April 25, 1910 census)(listed Vergil)
                  Elkins, WV, 14-year old, (January 12, 1920 census)(listed Vergil)
                  Bluefield, WV, Newspaper, sports editor, (April 14, 1930 census)
                  Bluefield, WV, Newspaper, sports writer, (April 4, 1940 census)
                  Bluefield Daily Telegraph (VA), sports editor, 1924 - ?

                  Father: Daniel C., born West Virginia, around 1871; Mother: Julia A., born West Virginia, around 1868; Wife: Iva Belle Best; married Stubby in 1922; Wife: Adell Corbin (Ella R.), born Virginia, around 1908; married Stubby May 20, 1927; Wife: Elizabeth Joseph Currence, born February 7, 1920, died March 25, 2012 in Bluefield, West Virginia; Son: Virgil Lloyd, Jr., born West Virginia, around 1930;

                  Virgil L. “Stubby” Currence (1904-1981) was a sports writer, reporter, columnist and editor for The Bluefield Daily Telegraph of Bluefield, West Virginia, for 52 years. His columns, “The Press Box” and “Now and Then”, were well-read features in the region. Both the Currence Award, presented annually to the top student-athlete in the newspaper’s circulation area, and the annual Currence Classic, a collegiate basketball tournament, are named in his honor.
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 10-20-2013, 10:40 PM.


                  • Jack Gatecliff

                    Born: April 20, 1926, St. Catharines, Canada
                    Died: September 5, 2000, St. Catharines, Canada, age 74,---d. after a long battle with cancer.

                    St. Catharines sports editor;
                    St. Catharines Standard, sports reporter, 1947 - 1953, sports editor, 1953 - 1987, executive sports editor, 1987 - April, 1991.

                    Dean of Community Sports Journalism
                    Jack Gatecliff Dead at 74
                    The St. Catharines Standard, Tuesday September 5, 2000

                    ST.CATHARINES -- Jack Gatecliff, one of Canada's foremost community sports journalists and a life-long resident of St.Catharines, died early today after a lengthy battle with cancer. He was 74. Gatecliff joined The Standard as a sports reporter in 1947. He often joked that his career with the newspaper began years earlier when he had a delivery route. He became The Standard's second sports editor in 1953 and was promoted to executive sports editor in 1987. He retired in April of 1991, but only because he had to. Retirement is something Gatecliff always felt was for other people.

                    "I have mixed emotions about it," the renowned workaholic once said. "It would be nice to get away from all the phones and relax, but writing is how I relax. It will be hard." To make leaving easier, Gatecliff embarked on a post-retirement career which consisted of writing his column and continuing to represent The Standard at various functions and sports events. Gatecliff was born April 20, 1926, in St.Catharines. Except for brief periods - such as playing hockey in Scotland or attending school in Toronto - he never left. It's not that there weren't any opportunities; he just never wanted to live anywhere else.

                    Gatecliff unabashedly promoted St. Catharines as the best place in the world to live and raise a family. "There is no better spot to live," he once said. "I've had chances to move, but never considered taking them. I've had over 50 years at The Standard and enjoyed every one of them."

                    As a youngster, Gatecliff was a better-than-average athlete with a special affinity for lacrosse and hockey. He was always a sports fanatic, whether it be as a participant or an observer. One of his fondest boyhood memories was being among the throng which welcomed home the 1938 St. Catharines Athletics after they won the city's first Canadian Senior lacrosse championship. "I was 12 years old and I rode on the fender of the truck that carried the team along St. Paul Street," he once said. "It was about midnight, but the street was packed. No one wanted to miss it. Those guys were genuine heroes."

                    Six years later, Gatecliff was a member of that team, helping it to another Mann Cup title. The thought of writing for a career was first presented to Gatecliff by a high school teacher. It resurfaced a few years later while he was in Scotland playing hockey. "I was there (in 1947), wondering what to do with the rest of my life, and decided to write to (then Standard sports editor) Clayton Browne. I had known him from playing so many sports and he wrote back telling me to come and see him. I went into the paper two days after I came home and got the job right away."

                    Gatecliff began his popular Through the Sports Gate column in 1955 and figured he had written more than 9,000 when he retired. In more than four decades of watching and chronicling the Niagara sports scene, Gatecliff developed a reputation as an ardent supporter of local and amateur events. "I've always been most proud of our local coverage," he frequently said. "Minor and amateur sports get little or no coverage in major cities, and that's where The Standard has it over the larger papers. We give as much attention to the local athletes as to those who are well-known nationally and internationally."

                    In recognition of that devotion, The Standard sports department in 1990 established The Jack Gatecliff Award which is presented to the area person judged to have demonstrated an especially high level of dedication to sports. The award was unveiled on the occasion of Gatecliff's retirement and The Standard's 100th birthday. The first winner was Olympic wrestler Marty Calder. "When one thinks of The Standard, one thinks of 'Gate', former Standard publisher Henry Burgoyne once said. "He (was) The Standard's goodwill ambassador for nearly 50 years. He was one of Canada's finest sportswriters - the finest in my opinion."

                    Gatecliff, who would often stay up half the night writing a story and then be back in the office at 6 a.m. the next day, was respected by his peers for his devotion - sometimes obsession - for his job.

                    "You knew if Jack asked you to cover something and you couldn't, he'd go out and do it himself," said Bill Potrecz, a 15-year veteran of the Standard's sports department. "His dedication was legendary." In 1990 Gatecliff became a charter member of the St.Catharines Sports Hall of Fame. He is also a member of the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame, builder's division and a lifetime member of the National Hockey League Writer's Association. He won 17 Western Ontario Newspaper Awards. He was named best American Hockey League writer in 1984. In 1986 he received the Bob Reinhart Memorial Award from the St. Catharines Chamber of Commerce for community service, and he administered a $1,000 annual scholarship in his name, set up in 1987 and funded by St.Catharines native and ex-pro hockey goalie Gerry Cheevers.

                    In addition, Gatecliff was master of ceremonies for the Shriners-Knights of Columbus Sports Celebrities Dinner for 34 years. He was a charter member of the Grantham Optimist Club, a past-president of the Ontario Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association, was a chairman of the St.Catharines Parks and Recreation Council and was actively involved with the Leonard B. Herzog Memorial Foundation to aid St. Catharines Hospitals. Perhaps his crowing glory of achievement was in 1995 when he was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in the media section.

                    "I'm here and I still can't believe it," he told then Standard sports editor Peter Conradi upon his induction. "This is such a big deal for me. I'd like to say it's like a dream come true, but it isn't because I never dreamed anything like this could happen."

                    The honours kept on coming a year later when Garden City Arena, a spot Gatecliff might have called his second home, was re-named Jack Gatecliff Arena.

                    "For someone who grew up on Russell Avenue and enjoyed sports all his life ... this is something I never believed could come true," he said. "This is phenomenal." Gatecliff is survived by wife Alice and son John and daughter-in-law Janet, all of St. Catharines, and sister Joyce Trull of Oakville.


                    • George Gross

                      Born: January 23, 1923, Bratislava, Czechoslovakia
                      Died: March 21, 2008, Toronto, Canada, age 85,---d. at his home

                      Toronto sports editor;
                      Toronto Telegram, 1959 - 1971
                      Toronto Sun, sports editor, 1971 - 1986

                      George arrived in Canada from Czechoslovakia in 1949, and once he had mastered English, found his niche as a sports reporter. He eventually made his way to Toronto. He was hired full-time at the Telegram in 1959. When it was shut down in 1971, he and some other staffers founded the Toronto Sun, with him as sports editor.

                      George came to Canada in April 1950, and although a journalist by profession, first worked on a construction site, and then for the T. Eaton Company. In 1957 he was hired part-time by the Toronto Telegram as as soccer reporter and in January 1959 full-time as a reporter , covering soccer and later hockey and other sports. In 1957 George covered Canada's World Cup qualifying matches in Mexico and even practiced with the national team. One year later was in Sweden he for the World Cup finals and interviewed the 17 year old Pele. Between 1953 and 1974 he published the Soccer and Sports News and in 1961 was one of the founders of the Eastern Canada Professional Soccer League. As managing director of Toronto City, he went to Britain where he signed international stars Johnny Haynes, Danny Blanchflower, Tommy Younger (captains of England, Northern ireland and Scotland respectively), Stanley Matthews and Jackie Mudie. George guided Toronto City from 1961 to mid-July 1965. He continued to work for the Telegram until October 1971, when the paper stopped publishing, and then became the first sports editor of the newly crated Toronto Sun, and is now the Sun's Corporate Sports Editor. He was presented with the prestigious Order of Ontario in 2003, the National Newspaper Award in 1974, the Olympic Order in 1994 and was inducted into Canada's Hockey Hall of Fame in 1985; the Slovak Hall of Fame in 2001; the Etobicoke Sports Hall of Fame in 2002 and the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame in 2005.


                      • Garry Alexander John Frew

                        Born: 1936?
                        Died: February 28, 2000, Kamo, New Zealand, age 64,---d. heart attack at his home.

                        New Zealand sports editor;
                        Northern Advocate, sports editor, (48 years)

                        The former sports editor of The Northern Advocate newspaper is a name synonymous with Northland sport, even now, six years after he died of a heart attack at his home in Kamo, aged 64. But it isn’t just his duties as prolific sports writer that set Garry Frew -- Frewy to his mates, Fru-Ju to his friends -- apart and sees him ushered in to sit alongside Northland’s sporting greats. Because before Frewy began a sports writing career that spanned 40 years, a career that encompassed an All Blacks tour to the United Kingdom, Commonwealth and Olympic Games and two North Auckland Ranfurly Shield tenures, Garry Frew was an international sportsman in his own right.

                        Frew was a New Zealand Table Tennis representative at the tender age of 17, touring with the national team to Scotland and China in 1961 during which he became the Scottish singles champion. He held his place in the New Zealand team for many years. But his time in the New Zealand team was just a small part in his table tennis career that included a hatful of national titles (in singles, doubles and mixed doubles) and so many Northland titles that they are far too numerous to mention. This at a time when the sport of table tennis was at its peak and was being played in every nook and cranny of the country. The thing is Garry Frew, the sportsman, was far more than just a table tennis player. He was also one of the best tennis players in the region, managed to play premier grade club cricket and senior club rugby as well.

                        It must be noted that Frew, in 1965, was named Northland sportsman of the year. It was after his playing career started to abate that Frewy’s real legacy started though.

                        Frew was an uncanny coach. He served several years as a New Zealand table tennis selector. Frewy was an outstanding administrator. Frewy became a confidant to the stars. Frewy sometimes masqueraded as a publicity agent. He was, of course, a sports writer and correspondent. Frew helped organize several National hard-court tennis championships in Whangarei in the 1960s. He was also the invisible draws adjudicator for a popular Northland wide club rugby competition called “The Cock of the North” later known simply as “The Blackheart Rum”.

                        Fru-ju threw himself into fund raisers, occasionally was a draw steward, was also an author, historian and …well…you name it he did it for sport.

                        We need to say here, he did it for NORTHLAND sport. Which is why, in 1988, Garry Frew won the Brian Maunsell Memorial Award for service to sport.

                        It was these efforts, all of them unpaid and done with alarming efficiency, that has etched Garry Frew’s name into the hearts of several generations of Northland sportspeople.
                        It was why he was honored with life memberships to three different Northland sports organizations, Northland Table Tennis, Northland Tennis and the Northland Rugby Union.
                        Frew was a foundation board member of Sport Northland, our regional sports trust, and was serving as patron at the time of his sudden death.

                        It was all of these things that saw Frew awarded an MBE, a Member of the British Empire, for services to sport in 1992.

                        So it makes sense doesn't it that Garry Alexander John Frew is post humorously inducted into the Northland Legends of Sport.
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM.


                        • Bruno Leonard Kearns

                          Born: January 20, 1927, PA
                          Died: March 18, 2009, New Port Richey, FL, age 84

                          Oakland sports editor;
                          Pontiac Press (Oakland Press) 1952-1980

                          Wife: Mary Ann; Son: David; Son: Dan; Son: Gerald; Daughter: Denise; Daughter: Janet;

                          Former Press sports editor Bruno Kearns dies
                          Published: Friday, March 20, 2009
                          By MARVIN GOODWIN of The Oakland Press

                          Even though former Pontiac Press sports editor Bruno Kearns worked long hours on his job, he didn’t forget his family.

                          “Whenever he went out on a trip to cover the Rams or 49ers, he’d always come back with a little souvenir or something for us,” said Dr. Gerald Kearns, the second-youngest of the five adult Kearns children. “My father was a very caring person. He always cared about the kids.”

                          Kearns, a former Lake Orion resident, died Wednesday in New Port Richey, Fla. He was 84 years old.

                          A native of western Pennsylvania and a U.S. Navy veteran who served in World War II, Kearns, had worked some 28 years at the Pontiac Press (now The Oakland Press) until 1980, according to Gerald Kearns.

                          He was popularly regarded as the single most effective catalyst in getting the Silverdome built in Pontiac.

                          “He was sports editor when I came to the paper in 1971,” said Neil Munro, former Oakland Press editor. “The Silverdome at that point was a dream in Bruno’s eye, because it had not been approved.”

                          But editorially, Kearns continued to pound away at getting the Silverdome constructed and Pontiac citizens finally approved it by vote.

                          “Nobody was happier than Bruno,” Munro said. “He wrote as much about the Silverdome as he did sports. It was a labor of love for him.

                          “When it was completed, the Lions had put a brass plaque (engraved with his name) on the table in the press box and it was for Bruno. It was where he sat. Not many sportswriters ever got a plaque from the team. And Bruno was as critical of the Lions as a team as anybody. (But) he was a good guy to get along with and he worked hard.”

                          Kearns covered the whole spectrum of sports, from the Olympic Games, the Detroit Tigers, Red Wings and Super Bowls, to high school sports, golfers Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer in their heyday, horse racing, and even polo and jai alai.

                          He wrote about the great Pontiac-area athletes, including Campy and Frank Russell and Olympians Hayes Jones and Micki King.

                          “I remember when my dad would go to Cranbrook when the Lions practiced, before they went to Oakland University,” said Gerald Kearns, who also recalled, as a youngster, New Year’s eve gatherings at the Kearns’ household with the Lions. “They would ask our dad if they would host it ... because we had a pretty big house. Lem Barney, Bill Munson, Greg Landry, Alex Karras, Jerry Rush, they would come over with their wives or spouses.”

                          Kearns earned numerous awards, including Associated Press Sportswriter of the Year in 1959, according to Gerald Kearns.

                          “When he left the paper, he was a legendary sports editor,” said Bruce McIntyre, former publisher for The Oakland Press, “the best-known sports editor the paper has had in my experience.”

                          A niece, Charlotte Schaffer of Clarkston, also remembered Kearns, especially “his enthusiasm and how dedicated he was to his causes,” she said.

                          Along with his son Gerald, Kearns leaves his widow, Mary Ann, and children David Kearns, Daniel Kearns, Denise Kearns and Janet Lyn Kearns.
                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM.


                          • Raymond T. Rocene---AKA Ray Rocene or Reynold Rocene

                            Born: September 1, 1894, Sweden
                            Died: December 30, 1968, Missoula, Montana, age 74,

                            Missoula sports editor;
                            Family immigrated to US, 1903
                            Missoula, MT, Missoulean Pub., paper reporter, (January 8, 1920 census)
                            Missoula, MT, Daily Paper, reporter, (Arpil 2, 1930 census)(listed Reynold)
                            Missoula, MT, Daily Newspaper, sports editor, (April 6, 1940 census)(listed as Ary T. Rosene
                            Missoula Missoulian, sports editor,

                            Mother: Gustava, born Sweden, around 1859, immigrated to US 1903.; Wife: Marie, born Montana, around 1897; Daughter: Alice E., born Montana, around 1934; Son: John W., born Montana, around 1939;
                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-24-2013, 12:15 AM.


                            • John David Kirker

                              Born: June 17, 1913, Follansbee, West Virginia
                              Died: November 3, 1990, Steubenville, OH, age 77

                              Steubenville sports editor;
                              Wellsburg, WV, 6-year old, (January 28, 1920 census)
                              Wellsburg, WV, 16-year old, (April 7, 1930 census)
                              Wellsburg, WV, Newspaper, sports editor, (April 17, 1940 census)(listed as John Kriker)
                              Graduated Wellsburg HS (WV), 1934
                              Wellsburg Daily Herald (WV),
                              Steubenville (OH) Herald Star, sports editor, 1946 - 1974, district manager news department,

                              Father: David C., born Pennsylvania, around 1875; Mother: Ella S., born Ohio, around 1880;

                              Born in Follansbee is 1913, Kirker's first taste of the newspaper business came at the old Wellsburg Daily Herald as a high school student. He wrote sports and was eventually the managing editor of the paper when he left for the Army Air Corps in 1942.

                              Upon his discharge from the service in 1946, he began a 29-year run (1946-74) as sports editor of The Herald-Star newspaper in Steubenville until moving into the news department as a district editor for the remainder of his career. He was the longest-serving sports editor in the newspaper's history, covering all high school sports as well as local college sports and summer events.

                              He was inducted into the University of Steubenville Sports Hall of Fame in 1981; the Ohio Prep Sports Writers Hall of Fame in 1988; and the Upper Ohio Valley Dapper Dan Hall of Fame in 1989.

                              Kirker was a member of several high school all-star selection committees, including those choosing the All-Eastern District and All-Ohio teams.

                              He also served as an emcee at numerous local sports functions and was a ring announcer at local boxing events.

                              For Kirker, harness racing was a personal passion. He owned and trained 17 horses for many years, regularly attending the Little Brown Jug event in Delaware, Ohio.
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 08-28-2013, 12:36 AM.


                              • William B. Connors, Jr.---AKA Bill Connors

                                Born: July 31, 1931
                                Died: June 2, 2000, Tulsa, OK, age 68

                                Tulsa (OK) sports editor;
                                Tulsa (OK) World, sports editor, 1959 - 1995, staff, 1953 - 2000

                                Bill Connors served as sports editor for the Tulsa World from 1959-1995 and was part of the World staff from 1953-2000. He was recognized as Oklahoma sports writer of the year 11 times and entered the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame in 1998.
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-23-2013, 11:37 PM.


                                Ad Widget