Meet The Sports Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Jones - Sportswriter - Porstmouth, NH

Hello, I'm looking for some info on Fred Jones, a writer on the Portsmouth (NH) Herald from 1935-1941. I found an article that implied that he left the profession in 1941. I don't know if he ever got back to it or not.

Anyone know anything about him?

Comment

• Frederick Newell Jones

Born: March 16, 1870, Portsmouth, New Hampshire
      Died: July 8, 1955, Portsmouth, NH, age 84

Portsmouth (NH), sports writer;
      Portsmouth, NH, 3-month old, (July 7, 1870 census)
      Portsmouth, NH, 10-year old, at school, (June 7, 1880 census)
      Portsmouth, NH, iron moulder, (June 4, 1900 census)
      Portsmouth, NH, fire department, (April 20, 1910 census)
      Portsmouth, NH, Navy yard driller, (April 10, 1930 census)
      Portsmouth, NH, resident, retired, (April 8, 1940 census)

Father: George N. Jones, born Portsmouth, NH, around 1849; Mother: Clara L. Clifford, born Portsmouth, NH, around 1870; Wife: Henrietta Freeman Fitz Randoph, born New Hampshire around 1881: Fred married Henrietta November 17, 1910 in Boston, MA.

Portsmouth Herald (NH) obituary, July 9, 1955, pp. 2.

Originally posted by botolph View Post
      Hey Bill,

Thanks. I don't think that's the same writer' might be his father.

I posted this on your personal page:

I found a story from 1941 which gave the above biographical information. It said he's was going to pursue finance.

I found a Fred Jones who died Monday, 22 Jan. 1973, in Portland, Me. I thought it might be him.
      Frederick M. Jones

Born: September 6, 1913, Portsmouth, NH
      Died: January 22, 1973, Portland, ME, age 59,---d. in a local hospital after a long illness.

Portsmouth sports writer;
      (1920 census)
      Portsmouth, NH, no job, (April 17, 1930 census)
      Portsmouth, NH, newspaper sports editor, (April 5, 1940 census)
      Graduated Portsmough HS,
      Graduated St. Anselm's College (Manchester, NH), 1935
      Portsmouth Herald, reporter
      Portsmouth Press-Herald, assistant day city editor, 1942
      Portsmouth Evening Express, assistant day city editor,

Mother: Josephine Jones, born Ireland.

Portsmouth Herald obituary, Tuesday, January 23, 1973, pp. 3.
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-22-2013, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• William R. Robinson---AKA Bill Robinson

Born: February 2, 1930
        Died: July 11, 2009, Lafayette, AL, age 79,

Atlanta sports writer;
        Opelika-Auburn News,
        Lafayette Sun,
        Atlanta Journal-Constitution, sports editor,

go rest high on that mountain
        You probably never heard of Bill Robinson. And that's OK. He's not one of our contemporaries. But he is, for sportswriters like me who probably should've come along in the 1960s (when you could smoke at your desk and newspapers were everything), one of the greats. And he died over the weekend.

And I figured you ought to know.

Here's the story from the Opelida-Auburn News.

Bill Robinson, Atlanta Journal-Constitution sports writer, Opelika-Auburn News columnist and NASCAR- writing legend, died Saturday leaving a hole in his wake. A hole filled with stories from friends and fond memories of his witty writing.

Robinson, who covered all manner of sports in his long career, retired in Chambers County and was known to make appearances in the Opelika-Auburn News office.

“He was a true wordsmith. After his retirement, from the Atlanta papers, the Opelika-Auburn News was blessed to have him in our roster of columnists. We’ll miss having him hang around the newsroom and enlighten us with the countless stories and instruction to younger journalists. We’ll miss his columns. But most of all, we will miss the man,” said Jim Rainey, publisher of the Opelika-Auburn News.

A legend in the field, Robinson made a name for himself in both his work and his life.

“Bill was a rare talent and an even rarer person,” said Jim Minter, friend of Robinson and retired AJC editor. “He was a brilliant writer and, you know, he was the one that named Richard Petty ‘King Petty.’”
        Minter added, “He was unforgettable. We’re friends and we called ourselves brothers. Probably the kindest person I’ve ever known.”

Lee Walburn, who worked with Robinson in the AJC sports department, also remembered Robinson fondly, saying he was an “original.”

“There’s nothing to compare him to,” he said. “Bill was probably the most gifted writer, probably the most well -read of any of us.”

Walburn said Robinson was an expert on college football, especially Alabama football, and, like Minter, he said the old newsman had a gifted memory.

“An amazing memory where he could just spout facts and little known things about football,” he said.

Walburn also spoke about Robinson’s history with NASCAR. The man is rumored to have named Dale Earnhardt Sr., “The Intimidator” and Richard Petty “King Petty.”

“The drivers adored him and if he happened not to be on the scene they would call him and give him the information,” Walburn said. “He wrote one of the great ledes of all time on a race, we still paraphrase it, we try to quote it, it’s amazing.”

Walburn is referring to a lede in which Robinson wrote that a car won by “running flat out, belly to the ground, chasing a hurrying sundown.”

Walburn said “Billy Bob” or “Robbie” or “whatever we were calling him at the time” was legendary and that he had no respect for starting times.

“It was always a question of if and when he would show up,” he joked.

Walburn said Robinson would live on in the memories of friends and family. “I wrote a column about another friend of mine who died, Skip Caray (legendary announcer for the Atlanta Braves) … When does a person really die? When they put him in the ground, or when they stop telling stories about them? We’ll be telling Bill stories for a long time. In that respect, he will live on.”

Jim Hunter, vice president of corporate communications for NASCAR, was also a close friend of Robinson’s. He remembered him as an old newspaperman with a unique personality.

“When you think about an old time journalist and you think of the person with one of those green visors and garters on the shirt sleeves and the most cynical attitude in the world and a devil-may-care-attitude, then you got Bill Robinson,” Hunter said.

Sunday, Hunter recalled a story about Robinson.

“Minter was always giving ‘Billy Bob’ a hard time for being late, for being tardy. One morning we were supposed to be in the office at 6:30 a.m. It got to 7 a.m., then 7:15 a.m. He came off the elevator rolling a tire. He’d brought the evidence with him. He said ‘I swear guys I had a flat tire. Here it is,’” Hunter recalled.

Hunter added, “People just like Bill. He was fun to go to dinner with, he was a great storyteller. A great guy to have a cold one with. He was just a character. He was a fun-loving, outgoing, unique individual,” he said.
        Hunter said he remembers his friend two ways.

“I think of him as that old newspaperman … but I also think of Bill as that old Southern gentleman with a Panama hat, maybe, and white suit or a tan suit, and a white hat … to me that’s Bill Robinson,” he said.
        Hunter said Robinson had a way of looking at a story and seeing it differently than everyone else. That he was a gifted writer, a good friend and a gentleman.

But most of all “when you think of Bill Robinson, he was Atlanta Journal sports.”
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-12-2013, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• William Green Robinson---Bill Robinson

Born: November 22, 1933, Milan, TN
          Died: November 9, 2012, Marietta, OH, age 78,---d. at Heartland of Marrietta, OH

Ohio sports writer;
          Milan, TN, 6-year old, (April 3, 1940 census)(listed as Billie G.)
          Graduated Milan HS (Milan, TN), 1951
          Graduated University of Memphis, 1955 (B. S. degree in journalism)
          University of Missouri, 1956, (Masters degree, journalism),
          Daily Memphis Commercial Appeal
          Nashville Banner, sports correspondent
          Marietta Times (Marietta, OH), sports editor, 1958 - 1985, sports writer, 1985 - 2007

Father: Joe Forrest, born Tennessee 1912?; Mother: Haze, born Tennessee, 1913?l;

Billy G. Robinson, 78, former sports editor of The Marietta Times, died Friday, November 9, 2012, at Heartland of Marietta, OH.

Born in Milan, TN, Nov. 22,1933, he was the son of Joe Forrest and Hazel Green Robinson and the grandson of Joe and Juanita Browning Robinson and John Cannon and Ira Frances Johnson Green.

Robinson graduated from Milan High School in 1951, receiving the U. S. Rubber Co. Award as the outstanding senior. He graduated from the University of Memphis in 1955 with a B. S. degree summa cum laude and from the University of Missouri in 1956 with a master's degree in journalism.

While at the University of Memphis, Robinson was sports editor of the student newspaper and a member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership fraternity. He served as a sports correspondent for The Nashville Banner, was an officer in the Tennessee Sports Writers Association, and a sports writer for The Memphis Commercial Appeal.

Robinson served in the U. S. Army Reserve and became sports editor of The Marietta Times in 1958 and was sports editor 27 years and a sports writer for the newspaper for more than 50 years. He was also sports editor of the weekly Marietta Leader for several years.

Robinson was a member of the Ohio Prep Sports Writers Hall of Fame and received Marietta College's Distinguished Service Award, the Ohio High School Southeast District Meritorious Service Award, and the Ohio Athletic Conference Media Award. He was instrumental in the NCAA scheduling the first Division III baseball World Series in Marietta in 1976 and served on the World Series committee for several years.

Robinson, a member of the Church of Christ, was a lover of collie dogs and had seven during his lifetime, including Adam, his last.

Robinson leaves several special cousins, families, and friends and was preceded in death by his parents and grandparents.

Graveside services will be held Friday, November 16, 2012, at 10:00 AM at Oakwood Cemetery, Milan, TN.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Humane Society of the Ohio Valley, P.O. Box 5, Marietta, OH 45750

Online condolences may be made to hadleyfh.com
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-12-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Gary Bond

Born: January 22, 1955, Saginaw, MI
            Died: May 13, 2010, Grand Rapids, MI, age 55,---d. heart attack, at Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital

Grand Rapids (MI) sports writer;
            Grand Rapids Press (MI), part-time editorial clerk, 1982 - 1987, sports writer, 1987 - 2010 (23 years)

Wife: Kim; Son: Chris; Daughter: Courtney;

Longtime Grand Rapids Press sports writer Gary Bond dead at age 55, by Nate Reens, May 14, 2010

Rapids Press sports writer Gary Bond died Thursday.GRAND RAPIDS -- When Gary Bond dropped by a coach or sports executive’s office to talk about a team, it was understood he was all business.
            At least until the interview ended. That’s when the longtime Press sports writer would soften his stance, flash a smile and the conversation would flow.

The combination of aggressive reporting and his easygoing attitude built Mr. Bond a reputation that preceded him during his nearly 30 years at The Grand Rapids Press.

Mr. Bond died Thursday of an apparent heart attack. He was 55.

“Everyone I talked to, when I said ‘Gary Bond,’ they’d reply ‘He’s a great guy,’” said Jim Jarecki, vice president of the West Michigan Whitecaps, a minor league affiliate of the Detroit Tigers. “You don’t earn that kind of recognition by being anything else. You could go back and forth bantering with him about sports and about life and you couldn’t help but like the guy for what he stood for professionally and personally.

“He was all about his family and all about his work,” Jarecki said. “He had fun with both.”

The Saginaw native was preparing to cover a Whitecaps game against the South Bend Silver Hawks on Thursday when he felt pain in his chest and called a colleague to replace him.

Mr. Bond also called 911 and his wife, who rushed to his side. Emergency responders broke through the family’s door to render aid, said Kim Bond, whom he married in 1982.

Mr. Bond was taken to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital, but could not be revived.

“He was my buddy,” Kim Bond said Thursday night as friends and family gathered at their home. “He was the rock of our lives. A supportive husband, a wonderful father. None of us could have become the people we are without him.”

In addition to his wife, Mr. Bond is survived by his son, Chris, and daughter, Courtney, who will graduate from Catholic Central High School next week.

Kim Bond said her husband, in addition to his Press job, played Mr. Mom, taking and picking up the kids from school and focusing on raising them to be individuals.

“We’ve got great kids and he deserves a lot of credit,” she said, noting Mr. Bond also served as a father figure to other area youth.

Mr. Bond joined The Press as a part-time sports editorial clerk in 1982 and five years later earned a full-time sports writing position that allowed him to cover a wide array of local sports and personalities.

At various times, he was the beat reporter for Grand Rapids Community College football, the now-defunct Grand Rapids Hoops basketball team and the Grand Rapids Rampage arena football team. He was laid off from his full-time job in February, but continued to work for the paper as a freelance writer.

Executive Sports Editor Mary Ullmer said the sudden passing of the kind and thoughtful reporter shocked and saddened the entire Press staff. She recalled him as an optimist with a great wit and ever-present smile. Mr. Bond also was a man of faith and family, Ullmer said.

“I have the utmost respect for Gary and am proud of his accomplishments as a sports reporter,” Ullmer said. “He was given many assignments and challenges and handled each with grace and professionalism. Gary had a knack for finding good stories.

“He was proud of his work and thankful for his sports department colleagues and many friends at The Press. His fun-loving nature and competitive spirit will be sorely missed by his Press family. Our thoughts and prayers are with Gary’s family.”

Mr. Bond covered Tony Annese during his first year as football coach at Grand Rapids Community College last season. Annese quickly warmed to Mr. Bond, seeing that he cared deeply for Grand Rapids and the city’s youth.

“Gary genuinely cared about young people,” Annese said. “You could see that in how he lived and how he wrote. He did a wonderful job representing the community.”

Sparky McEwen, the head coach of the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz football team, had a unique perspective of having Mr. Bond cover McEwen as a high school, college and professional athlete. He also frequently interviewed McEwen during his tenure as a Rampage assistant and head coach.

The two spoke recently after the heart attack death of 50-year-old Al Jackson, a McEwen mentor and former Grand Rapids Creston assistant coach.

“Only Gary knew what Al meant to me,” McEwen said Thursday from Oklahoma. “Only Gary could do that story.”

“Gary respected me as an athlete and a coach and I respected him as a father and a writer. We had an understanding that we both had our jobs to do, we’d do them, and we wouldn’t let that interfere with a personal relationship we formed. I cared deeply for him.”

The two frequently golfed together, but sports was not a topic of discussion. It was always family, McEwen said.

“To me, we lost a pillar of Grand Rapids today. People could look up to him.”

When not working or spending time with his family, Mr. Bond was an avid bowler, golfer, tennis player and basketball player. He played basketball and football at Saginaw High School before going on to Central Michigan University, where he earned a journalism degree.

Just this week, Mr. Bond completed the final courses for a business degree, also from Central.

“Gary believed education was so important that he spent years working for that degree,” his wife said. “He wasn’t going to stop until he got it and that was his attitude toward life.

“I have a very supportive family and friend base and I have my faith. That’s what I have to rely on now that my buddy is gone. I know that Gary is already looking down on me (from heaven) and telling me to be strong. I will be, for him.”
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-12-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Frank J. Callahan---AKA Flash Callahan

Born: September 12, 1919, Philadelphia, PA
              Died: March 23, 1987, Springfield, PA, age 67,---d.

Philadelphia sports writer;
              Philadelphia, PA, 1-year old, (January 5, 1920 census)
              Philadelphia, PA, 12-year old, (April 14, 1930 census)
              Philadelphia, PA, 20-year old, (April 10, 1940 census)
              Philadelphia Record, sports writer;
              advertising executive

Father: William J., born Pennsylvania, 1886?; Mother: Alice, born Pennsylvania, 1885;

philly.com obituary, March 23, 1987
              Frank 'Flash' Callahan, Of Delco, Ad Exec, Former Sports Writer, By JIM NICHOLSON,

Frank J. "Flash" Callahan, an advertising executive and former sports writer for the old Philadelphia Record, died Saturday. He was 67 and lived in Springfield, Delaware County.

Callahan, a talented writer and speaker, had been a vice president of Lewis & Gilman and later chief account executive for Spiro & Associates. Having the drive to succeed at almost anything he tried, he was tagged with the nickname ''Flash" while still in his early teens, according to a boyhood pal, Joe Cox, of the J. Cunningham Cox advertising agency in Bryn Mawr.

At age 18, Callahan had a private pilot's license and enrolled in the Naval Air Corps as an aviation cadet. He became a flight instructor but was honorably discharged because of high blood pressure.

His photograph, in a leather aviator's cap, appeared on Army Air Corps recruiting posters all over the nation in the early 1940s. His sister, Helene, was a professional photographer with an ad account for the Army. She decided to pose her brother - who had movie-star good looks - and the photo was snapped up for the recruiting campaign.

"If people said it couldn't be done, he'd do it," Cox said. "He was like a comet. He could do anything. He was the best new account presenter. He'd call on a multimillion-dollar account and go back to his creative director. Three days later he would send them a picture of him and his staff working . . . at night on their account. He'd send them the picture before he had the account. The man was dynamite."

In April 1951, on a $60 bet, Callahan and former Record sports writer Bob Johnston walked to Atlantic City one weekend.

Cox, who said his own only claim to fame was that he sat next to legendary sports writer Red Smith at the Record, was on the staff there when Callahan was a fledgling sports writer and still attending the University of Pennsylvania. Elected president of his class, Callahan also wrote speeches for presidential candidate Harold Stassen.

In 1944, Callahan was years ahead of the pack in doing the kind of ''participatory journalism" made popular by George Plimpton. The manager of the Phillies let him gather story material while trying out as a rookie pitcher.

Callahan, a former college and sandlot pitcher who tried out for the Baltimore Orioles in 1939, wanted to find out whether the war-years players were still major-league caliber with so many young men away in the service. He wrote:

"When all the players arrived on the field, I walked to the pitching mound. The slab seemed higher than any college or sandlot box, the distance between the pitcher and batter seemed greater and the man at the plate seemed more determined than any amateur youngsters to knock the cover off the ball. Baseball, I then realized, was their business."

He wrote that big-league baseball was still big league. His story was included in the book "Best Sports Stories of 1944."

While at the Record he dated a copygirl named Loretta. Once he took her and Red Smith to a racetrack to have some fun. While Smith handicapped the races, he encouraged her to pick horses, which she did according to jockey colors, names and hunches. She won a bundle, Smith lost his shirt and Callahan wrote a tongue-in-cheek story.

Callahan and Loretta parted ways. Both married, then divorced. Some 20 years later, her first husband's brother let her know that Flash Callahan was available, she recalled. Flash and Loretta were wed in 1967.

"It was still there," she said.

Loretta Kranz Doyle Callahan said her husband "lived hard, loved hard and really died the hard way, but with a great deal of courage." Callahan had fought cancer for the past 4 1/2 years.

She said she admired the pro as much as the man.

"He was very exact, very precise, organized," Loretta recalled. "He made lists to make lists to make lists. He made index cards but he never used a card or notes to make a presentation. It looked like it came right off the top of his head. But the preparation was unbelievable."

He could work with other creative minds but usually liked to go it alone, ''putting faith in his own judgment." She said he was always helping some ''shoeshine man or bartender write a resume or something for nothing. He didn't turn anyone down."

Callahan operated Frank J. Callahan Advertising in Broomall, Delaware County, for the past 12 years, though as his illness overtook him, he began working from home more and more. He completed a newsletter for Ferraro Cadillac, she said, just a few days ago while he was in the hospital.

Loretta said his razor wit and courage never left him. She said when his daughter Megan visited him in the hospital, he said dryly, "Where am I?" ''You're in the hospital," Megan replied. "No s- - - ?" he said. "How am I doin'?"

"Words were his life," his wife said. "Written, spoken - it didn't matter. They were his life."

Joe Cox said, "I could go on and on about Frank Callahan. It's a shame he couldn't go on."

In addition to his wife and daughter, Callahan is survived by another daughter, Rita Anne; two sons, Daniel and Michael; two stepsons, the Rev. Daniel E. Doyle and David Doyle; two stepdaughters, Donna Hussey and Diane Doyle; and one grandchild.

A memorial Mass will be celebrated at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow at St. Denis Roman Catholic Church, Eagle Road and St. Denis Lane, Havertown, Delaware County. Daniel Doyle will be the principal celebrant.

Contributions may be made to the Augustinian Order, Box 338, Villanova, Pa. 19085.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-12-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Thomas Bradley Schriver

Born: January, 1874, Philadelphia, PA
                Died: Still alive April 3, 1943

Philadelphia Record, sports writer, 1933 - 1943
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Thomas Schriver

Born: July, 1866, Ireland

Philadelphia, PA, news dealer, (June 9, 1900 census)

Wife: Annie, born June, 1863, Ireland; Son: Frank, born June, 1891, Ireland;

Newsdealer
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-05-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• --------------------------------------

Comment

• ------------------------------------

Comment

• -----------------------------------------

Comment

• ---------------------------------------

Comment

• ----------------------------------------

Comment

• -------------------------------------