No announcement yet.

Meet The Sports Writers

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pierre Francis de Marigny Berton---AKA Pierre Berton

    Born: July 12, 1920, Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
    Died: November 30, 2004, Toronto, Canada, age 84,---d. heart failure at Sunnybrook hospital (Toronto, Canada).

    Managing editor;

    Pierre Francis de Marigny Berton, CC OOnt (July 12, 1920 – November 30, 2004) was a noted Canadian author of non-fiction, especially Canadiana and Canadian history, and was a well-known television personality and journalist.

    An accomplished storyteller, Berton was one of Canada's most prolific and popular authors. He wrote on popular culture, Canadian history, critiques of mainstream religion, anthologies, children's books and historical works for youth. He was also a founder of the Writers' Trust of Canada, a non-profit literary organization that seeks to encourage Canada's writing community. Berton's 50 books became popular because his light and fast-paced style was not weighted down by footnotes or deep probes into primary sources. Historian C.P. Stacey in 1980, said Berton demonstrated his skill as an anecdotalist, or storyteller, who emphasized the human dimension, while often overlooking the scholarship. His two-volume history of the war of 1812, running to 928 pages, was republished in 2011 as "Pierre Berton's War of 1812 (Toronto: Anchor Canada, 2011).

    Early years
    He was born on July 12, 1920, in Whitehorse, Yukon, where his father had moved for the 1898 Klondike Gold Rush. His family moved to Dawson City, Yukon in 1921, where they lived until moving to Victoria, British Columbia in 1932. His mother, Laura Beatrice Berton (née Thompson) was a school teacher in Toronto until she was offered a job as a teacher in Dawson City at the age of 29 in 1907. She met Frank Berton in the nearby mining town of Granville shortly after settling in Dawson and teaching kindergarten. Laura Beatrice Berton's autobiography of life in the Yukon entitled I Married the Klondike was published in her later years and gave her, what her son Pierre describes as 'a modicum of fame, which she thoroughly enjoyed.'

    Like his father, Pierre Berton worked in Klondike mining camps during his years as a history major at the University of British Columbia, where he also worked on the student paper The Ubyssey. He spent his early newspaper career in Vancouver, where at 21 he was the youngest city editor on any Canadian daily, replacing editorial staff that had been called up during the Second World War.

    Berton himself was conscripted into the Canadian Army under the National Resources Mobilization Act in 1942 and attended basic training in British Columbia, nominally as a reinforcement soldier intended for The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. He elected to "go Active" (the euphemism for volunteering for overseas service) and his aptitude was such that he was appointed Lance Corporal and attended NCO school, and became a basic training instructor in the rank of corporal. Due to a background in university COTC and inspired by other citizen-soldiers who had been commissioned, he sought training as an officer.

    Berton spent the next several years attending a variety of military courses, becoming, in his words, the most highly trained officer in the military. He was warned for overseas duty many times, and was granted embarkation leave many times, each time finding his overseas draft being cancelled. A coveted trainee slot with the Canadian Intelligence Corps saw Berton, now a Captain, trained to act as an Intelligence Officer (IO), and after a stint as an instructor at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario, he finally went overseas in March 1945. In the UK, he was told that he would have to requalify as an IO because the syllabus in the UK was different from that in the intelligence school in Canada. By the time Berton had re-qualified, the war in Europe had ended. He volunteered for the Canadian Army Pacific Force (CAPF), granted a final "embarkation leave", and found himself no closer to combat employment by the time the Japanese surrendered in September 1945.

    Editor in Toronto
    Berton moved to Toronto in 1947. At the age of 31 he was named managing editor of Macleans. In 1957, he became a key member of the CBC's public affairs flagship program, Close-Up, and a permanent panelist on the popular television show Front Page Challenge. That same year, he also narrated the Academy Award-nominated National Film Board of Canada documentary City of Gold, exploring life in his hometown of Dawson City during the Klondike Gold Rush. He then released an album in conjunction with Folkways Records, entitled The Story of the Klondike: Stampede for Gold - The Golden Trail.

    Berton joined the Toronto Star as associate editor and columnist in 1958, leaving in 1962 to commence The Pierre Berton Show, which ran until 1973. It was on this show that in 1971 Berton interviewed Bruce Lee in what was to be the famous martial artist's only surviving television interview. Berton's television career included spots as host and writer on My Country, The Great Debate, Heritage Theatre, The Secret of My Success and The National Dream.

    Berton served as the Chancellor of Yukon College and, along with numerous honorary degrees, received over 30 literary awards such as the Governor General's Award for Creative Non-Fiction (three times), the Stephen Leacock Medal of Humour, and the Gabrielle Léger Award for Lifetime Achievement in Heritage Conservation. He is a member of Canada's Walk of Fame, having been inducted in 1998. In The Greatest Canadian project, he was voted #31 in the list of great Canadians.

    In 2004, Berton published his 50th book, Prisoners of the North, after which he announced in an interview with CanWest News Service that he was retiring from writing.[citation needed] On October 17, 2004, the $12.6 million CAD Pierre Berton Resource Library, named in his honour, was opened in Vaughan, Ontario.

    He had lived in nearby Kleinburg, Ontario, for about fifty years.

    Berton raised eyebrows in October 2004 by discussing his forty years of recreational use of marijuana on two CBC Television programs, Play and Rick Mercer Report. On the latter show he gave a "celebrity tip" on how to roll a joint.

    Berton died at Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto, reportedly of heart failure, at the age of 84 on November 30, 2004. His cremated remains were scattered at his home in Kleinburg.

    Berton House Writers' Retreat
    His childhood home in Dawson City, Yukon, now called Berton House, is currently used as a retreat for professional Canadian writers. Established authors apply for a three-month long subsidized residency, adding to the area's literary community with events such as local public readings. Previously, The Berton House Writers' Retreat was administered by the Berton House Writer's Retreat Society and Elsa Franklin, Pierre Berton's long-time editor and agent. In October of 2007, the deed to Berton House was passed to the Writers' Trust of Canada; the literary organization now oversees the program as part of its roster of literary support.

    Pierre Berton Award
    Established in 1994, the Pierre Berton Award is presented annually by Canada's National History Society for distinguished achievement in presenting Canadian history in an informative and engaging manner. Berton was the first recipient and agreed to lend his name to future awards.


    • Benjamin Crowninshield Bradlee---AKA Ben Bradlee

      Born: August 26, 1921, Boston MA
      Died: Still Alive

      Washington, DC managing editor;
      Boston, MA, 9-year old, (April 5, 1930 census)
      Boston, MA, 18-year old, (April 11, 1940 census)
      Washington Post, managing editor, 1965 - 1968, executive editor in 1968 - September, 1991, vice-president at-large, September 1991 - 2012.

      Father: Frederick Joseah Bradlee, Jr., born Massachusetts, around 1892; Mother: Josephine de Gersdorff, born New York, 1896, died 1975;

      Benjamin Crowninshield "Ben" Bradlee (born August 26, 1921) is a vice president at-large of The Washington Post. As executive editor of the Post from 1968 to 1991, he became a national figure during the presidency of Richard Nixon, when he challenged the federal government over the right to publish the Pentagon Papers and oversaw the publication of Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein's stories documenting the Watergate scandal.

      Early life and ancestry
      A member of the Boston Brahmin Crowninshield family, Bradlee was born in Boston, Massachusetts on August 26, 1921. His father was Frederick Josiah Bradlee Jr. (1892–1970), a direct descendant of John Bradley – the first of the Bradleys to come to America – who in 1630 helped build what is now Dorchester, Massachusetts. His mother, Josephine de Gersdorff (1896–1975), was awarded the Legion of Honor for helping keep children safe from Nazi Germany and France during World War II.[citation needed] Bradlee's maternal grandfather, Carl August de Gersdorff (1865–1944), the son of a German immigrant,[1] was a wealthy New York lawyer. Bradlee's maternal grandmother was Helen Suzette Crowninshield (1868–1941), daughter of artist Frederic Crowninshield (1845–1918), another member of the Crowninshield family. His great-great-uncle was American lawyer and Ambassador Joseph Hodges Choate; and his great-uncle (and cousin second removed) was Francis "Frank" Welch Crowninshield, the creator and editor of Vanity Fair, and a roommate of Conde Nast.

      Josephine de Gersdorff, Bradlee's mother, was a direct descendant of Heinrich XXIX, Count of Reuss-Ebersdorf, who was a direct descendant of King John II of France and Bonne of Bohemia. Bradlee's maternal great grandfather was Dr. Ernst Bruno von Gersdorffk, Josephine's grandfather, who was a third cousin of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom through Heinrich XXIX.

      Bradlee attended Dexter School before finishing at St. Mark's School. Thereafter he attended Harvard College. He received his naval commission two hours after graduating in 1942, joined the Office of Naval Intelligence and worked as a communications officer in the Pacific during World War II. His duties included handling classified and coded cables. The main ship on which Bradlee served was a destroyer, the USS Philip. He fought off the shore of Guam, arriving at Guadalcanal with the Second Fleet. His main battles were Vella Lavella, Saipan, Tinian, and Bougainville. He also fought in the biggest naval battle ever fought, the Battle of Leyte Gulf in the Philippines. He made every landing in the Solomon Islands campaign and Philippines campaign.

      When Bradlee married for the first time, it was to Jean Saltonstall. They had one son, Ben Bradlee Jr., who was raised in Cambridge by his mother and her second husband, Bill Haussermann. Ben Bradlee Jr. is a former deputy managing editor of The Boston Globe.

      World War II
      During WWII Bradlee was in the Navy and he had fought in total of thirteen naval battles; the first battles that he fought in were during the Solomon Islands Campaign: First Battle of Tulagi, Battle of Vella Lavella, and the Battle of Bouganville. The next two battles that he fought in were during the Guadalcanal Campaign: Battle of Henderson Field, The Naval Battle of Guadalcanall; he arrived at Guadal Canal with the Second Fleet on the USS Philip. The next five battles that he fought in were during the Philippines Campaign: The Battle of Letye Gulf also known as The Second Battle of the Philippine Sea, The Battle of Mindoro, The Battle of Manila, The Battle of Surigao Straits, and The Invasion of Lingayen Gulf. The next and last three battles the he fought in were during the Mariana and Palau Islands campaign: The Battle of Saipan, The Battle of Tinian, and The Battle of Guam.

      After the war, in 1946, Bradlee Sr. became a reporter at the New Hampshire Sunday News, a venture he helped launch. In 1948 he started working for The Washington Post as a reporter. He got to know associate publisher Philip Graham, who was the son-in-law of the publisher, Eugene Meyer. On November 1, 1950, Bradlee was alighting from a streetcar in front of the White House just as two Puerto Rican nationalists attempted to shoot their way into Blair House in an attempt to kill President Harry S. Truman. In 1951 Graham helped Bradlee become assistant press attaché in the American embassy in Paris, France.

      Government work
      In 1952 Bradlee joined the staff of the Office of U.S. Information and Educational Exchange (USIE), the embassy's propaganda unit. USIE produced films, magazines, research, speeches, and news items for use by the CIA throughout Europe. USIE (later known as USIA) also controlled the Voice of America, a means of disseminating pro-American "cultural information" worldwide. While at the USIE, according to a Justice Department memo from an assistant U.S. attorney in the Rosenberg Trial, Bradlee was helping the CIA manage European propaganda regarding the spying conviction and execution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg on June 19, 1953.

      Bradlee was officially employed by USIE until 1953, when he began working for Newsweek. While based in France, Bradlee divorced his first wife and married Antoinette Pinchot. At the time of the marriage, Antoinette's sister, Mary Pinchot Meyer, was married to Cord Meyer, a key figure in Operation Mockingbird, a CIA program to influence the media. Antoinette Bradlee was also a close friend of Cicely d'Autremont, who was married to James Jesus Angleton. Bradlee worked closely with Angleton in Paris. At the time, Angleton was liaison for all Allied intelligence in Europe. His deputy was Richard Ober, a fellow student with Bradlee at Harvard University.

      In 1957, while working as a reporter for Newsweek, Bradlee created controversy when he interviewed members of the FLN. They were Algerian guerrillas who were in rebellion against the French government at the time. According to Deborah Davis, author of Katharine the Great about Katharine Graham, this had all the "earmarks of an intelligence operation." As a result of these interviews, Bradlee was given an expulsion order from France. The order was later suspended and finally repealed.

      Washington Post
      As a reporter in the 1950s, Bradlee became close friends with then-Senator John F. Kennedy, who lived nearby. In 1960 he toured with both Kennedy and Richard Nixon in their presidential campaigns. He later wrote a book, Conversations With Kennedy (W.W. Norton, 1975), recounting their relationship during those years. Bradlee was, at this point, Washington Bureau chief for Newsweek, a position from which he helped negotiate the sale of the magazine to the Washington Post holding company. Bradlee maintained that position until being promoted to managing editor at the Post in 1965. He became executive editor in 1968 and, in 1978, married fellow journalist Sally Quinn. Quinn and Bradlee have one child, Quinn Bradlee, who was born in 1982 when she was 41 and Bradlee was 61. In 2009, they appeared with Quinn Bradlee on the Charlie Rose show on PBS and spoke of their son's having been born with Velo-cardio-facial syndrome, also known as DiGeorge syndrome and Shprintzen syndrome (named after Dr. Robert Shprintzen who first identified the disorder in 1978 and also diagnosed Quinn Bradlee).

      Bradlee retired as the executive editor of the "Post" in September 1991, but continues to serve as its Vice President At Large. He was succeeded as executive editor at The Washington Post by Leonard Downie, Jr., who Bradlee had appointed as managing editor seven years earlier.

      Under Bradlee's leadership, The Washington Post took on major challenges during the Nixon Administration. In 1971 The New York Times and the Post successfully challenged the government over the right to publish the Pentagon Papers. One year later, Bradlee backed reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein as they probed the break-in at the Democratic National Committee Headquarters in the Watergate Hotel. According to Bradlee: “You had a lot of Cuban or Spanish-speaking guys in masks and rubber gloves, with walkie-talkies, arrested in the Democratic National Committee Headquarters at 2:00 in the morning. What the hell were they in there for? What were they doing? The follow-up story was based primarily on their arraignment in court, and it was based on information given our police reporter, Al Lewis, by the cops, showing them an address book that one of the burglars had in his pocket, and in the address book was the name ‘Hunt’, H-u-n-t, and the phone number was the White House phone number, which Al Lewis and every reporter worth his salt knew. And when, the next day, Woodward—this is probably Sunday or maybe Monday, because the burglary was Saturday morning early—called the number and asked to speak to Mr. Hunt, and the operator said, ‘Well, he's not here now; he's over at’, such-and-such a place, gave him another number, and Woodward called him up, and Hunt answered the phone, and Woodward said, ‘We want to know why your name was in the address book of the Watergate burglars.’ And there is this long, deathly hush, and Hunt said, ‘Oh my God!’ and hung up. So you had the White House. You have Hunt saying ‘Oh my God!’ At a later arraignment, one of the guys whispered to a judge. The judge said, ‘What do you do?’ and Woodward overheard the words ‘CIA.’ So if your interest isn't whetted by this time, you're not a journalist.” Ensuing investigations of suspected cover-ups led inexorably to Congressional committees, conflicting testimonies, and ultimately, to the resignation of Richard Nixon in 1974. For decades, Bradlee was one of only four publicly known people who knew the true identity of press informant Deep Throat, the other three being Woodward, Bernstein, and Deep Throat himself, who later revealed himself to be Nixon's FBI Associate Director Mark Felt.

      In 1981, Post reporter Janet Cooke won a Pulitzer Prize for "Jimmy's World", a profile of an eight-year-old heroin addict. Cooke's article turned out to be based on a fiction: there was no such addict. As executive editor, Bradlee was roundly criticized in many circles for failing to ensure the article's accuracy. After questions about the story's veracity arose, Bradlee (along with publisher Donald Graham) ordered a "full disclosure" investigation to ascertain the truth. At one point during the investigation, Bradlee angrily compared Cooke with Richard Nixon over her attempted coverup of the fake story. Bradlee personally apologized to Mayor Marion Barry and the chief of police of Washington, D.C., for the Post's fictitious article. Cooke, meanwhile, was forced to resign and relinquish the Pulitzer.

      Other work
      Bradlee published an autobiography in 1995, A Good Life: Newspapering and Other Adventures. He had an acting role in Born Yesterday, the 1993 remake of the 1950 romantic comedy. On May 3, 2006, Bradlee received a Doctor of Humane Letters from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.. Prior to receiving the honorary degree, he taught occasional journalism courses at Georgetown.

      In 1991 he was persuaded by then-Governor of Maryland William Donald Schaefer to accept chairmanship of the Historic St. Mary's City Commission and continued in that position through 2003. He also served for 12 years as a member of the board of trustees at St. Mary's College of Maryland, and endowed the Benjamin C. Bradlee Annual Lecture in Journalism there. He continues to serve as vice chairman of the school's board of trustees.

      In the fall of 2005, Jim Lehrer conducted six hours of interviews with Bradlee on a variety of topics—from the responsibilities of the press to the differences between Watergate and the Valerie Plame case. The interviews were edited for an hour-long documentary, Free Speech: Jim Lehrer and Ben Bradlee, which premiered on PBS on June 19, 2006.

      Bradlee serves on The Washington Post's editorial board as vice president at large. Bradlee and Quinn live at two homes, the Todd Lincoln House in Georgetown, Washington, DC, The middle part of the house was built in 1792. They also restored Porto Bello, their home in Drayden, Maryland.

      Depiction in popular culture
      Actor Jason Robards portrayed Bradlee in the film All the President's Men, winning a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his performance. G.D. Spradlin played the role of Bradlee in Dick, a spoof of Watergate. Henderson Forsythe played Bradlee, publisher of The Washington Press, in the romantic comedy Chances Are.
      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-04-2013, 12:36 AM.


      • Susan M. Cuesta

        Born: November 16, 1971, Tampa, FL
        Died: Still Alive

        Managing editor;
        University of Tampa (Tampa, FL), (B.A.)
        Westend Recording
        Bluewater Media
        Cigar City Magazine, managing editor, 2009 -
        Spectrum Productions

        Susan is a Tampa native whose family roots trace back from West Tampa and Ybor City to origins in Spain and Cuba as her family followed the cigar trade to Tampa. She began exploring her creativity as a young girl, combining her passion for art, writing and editing by being active in student publications from grade school through college. Susan attended the University of Tampa, where she graduated Summa Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in Communications and a minor in Art. Before joining Cigar City Magazine in 2009, Susan managed an award-winning local post-production facility and continues to work in production as a freelance production manager/coordinator.

        Susan currently resides in Seminole Heights with her two dogs, Howie and Maya.


        • Frank M. McCulloch, Jr.

          Born: January 20, 1920, Fernley, NV
          Died: Still Alive

          Managing Editor;
          Graduated University of Nevada (Reno, NV), 1941, (Bachelor's degree, journalism)
          Canal, NV, 10-year old, (April 12, 1930 census)
          United Press (San Francisco office), 1941
          US Marine Corps, 1942 - 1945, 1950 - 1951 [spent WWII / Korea stateside (Marines' San Francisco information office.)].
          Reno Evening Gazette
          Time magazine, 1951
          Los Angeles Times, managing editor, 1960 -
          Time-Life magazine, (Saigon bureau chief), 1963 - January, 1968, ? - 1972
          Sacramento Bee, managing editor, 1975 - 1985
          San Francisco Examiner, managing editor, 1985 - 1992

          Father: Frank McCullough, Sr.; born Canada, around 1881; Mother: Freda A., born California, around 1892; Wife Jakie Caldwell McCulloch;

          Center to Honor Journalist Frank McCulloch
          Journalist Frank McCulloch will be honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the California State University, Sacramento Center for California Studies.

          McCulloch's remarkable career as a reporter, editor, mentor and friend to countless journalists spanned more than half a century and included assignments throughout the world.

          He has held positions with numerous publications, including the Reno Evening Gazette, the Los Angeles Times and the Sacramento Bee. At the height of the Vietnam War he served as chief of all Southeastern Asia bureaus for Time-Life. Most recently, he came out of retirement to serve as managing editor of the San Francisco Examiner until 1992.

          McCulloch has received numerous awards for his work, including the Columbia University Award for Contributions to American Journalism, the Freedom of Information Award and the Theodore Kruglak Award for Service to American Journalism. He has served on numerous professional advisory boards and commissions, including the boards of directors of McClatchy Newspapers, the University of Southern California School of Journalism and the Center for Investigative Reporting.

          The son of pioneer cattle ranchers, McCulloch was born Jan. 20, 1920 in Fernley, Nev. He earned a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Nevada at Reno and served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1942-45 and 1950-51. He now lives in Sonoma with his wife of 57 years, Jakie Caldwell McCulloch.

          By 2004, Frank was a resident in a retirement community in Santa Rosa, CA, an hour north of San Francisco.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-07-2013, 02:34 PM.


          • Francis Peter Murphy---AKA Frank Murphy

            Born: July 1, 1896, Marlboro, MA
            Died: July 4, 1973, Hyannis, MA, age 77,---d. while on vacation, at Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis..

            Worcester (MA) managing editor;
            Marlboro Times, 1914
            Cambridge, MA, 5-year old, (June 4, 1900 census)
            Cambridge, MA, 15-year old, (April 29, 1910 census)
            Cambridge, MA, laborer, rubber factory, (January 10, 1920 census)
            Worcester, MA, night editor, daily paper, (April 25, 1930 census)
            Worcester, MA, news editor, Worcester-Telegram newspaper, (April 15, 1940 census)
            Worcester Telegram Publishing Co. (Worcester, MA), (WWII Civilian Draft Registration)
            Worcester Telegram (Worcester, MA), 1917 - ?, managing editor, 1945 - July 4, 1966

            Father: Thomas J., born Massachusetts, December, 1865; Mother: Elizabeth, born Massachusetts, January, 1866; Wife: Callie M. Clifford, born MA around 1904; Daughter: Jean E., born MA, around 1924; Daughter: Francis P., born MA, around 1930; Daughter: Callie M., born MA, around 1932; Son: Peter B., born MA, around 1938; Son: Philip F.; Daughter: Sarah (Healy); Charles M.;
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-02-2013, 05:54 PM.


            • Eugene Leslie Roberts, Jr.---Gene Roberts

              Born: June 15, 1932, Pikeville, NC
              Died: Still Alive

              Managing editor;
              Goldsboro City, NC, 9-year old, (May 13, 1940 census)
              Mars Hill College, 1950 - 1952
              Graduated University of North Carolina, 1954 (degree in journalism)
              US Army, (counter-intelligence), 1954 - 1956
              Goldsboro News-Argus (NC), (farm column, called 'Rambling in Rural Wayne')
              Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, 1958 - 1959
              Raleigh News & Observer, 1959 - 1961
              Harvard University (Nieman Fellowship),
              Goldsboro News-Argus, Sunday editor, 1962 - 1963
              Detroit Free Press, covered labor, 1963 - 1964, city editor, 1965
              New York Times, managing editor, 1965 - 1969, national editor, 1969 - 1972
              Philadelphia Inquirer, executive editor, 1972 - 1990
              University of Maryland, teacher, 1991 - 1994
              New York Times, managing editor, 1994 - September, 1997

              Father: Eugene Leslie Roberts, Sr.; Mother: Margaret Ham; Wife: Susan; Daughter: Leslie Jane; Daughter: Margaret Page; Daughter: Elizabeth Susan; Daughter: Polly Ann;

              Gene Roberts, a former executive editor at The Philadelphia Inquirer, achieved national fame for leading the paper to 17 Pulitzer Prizes in an 18-year span. He was widely respected for his high standards in journalism and ability to run a newspaper. A former reporter of his once said, “He’s the ideal editor that a reporter dreams about.”

              Eugene Leslie Roberts Jr. was born on June 15, 1932, in Pikeville, North Carolina, to an area preacher, Eugene L. Roberts Sr., and Margaret (Ham) Roberts. While growing up in Goldsboro, North Carolina, Roberts’s interest in journalism began to grow. It started when Roberts helped his father print a small weekly paper that was distributed to the local community. This interest extended through his teens and into his college years. He attended Mars Hill College from 1950 to 1952 before graduating from the University of North Carolina with a degree in journalism in 1954. After college, Roberts enlisted in the Military and served in the U.S. Army under the Counter-Intelligence Corps from 1954 to 1956.

              After returning home from the Army, Roberts earned his first official newspaper job working for his home-town paper, Goldsboro News-Argus. At the time, it was the leading newspaper in Wayne County, North Carolina. His duties included writing for its farm column, “Rambling in Rural Wayne,” and reporting on the local government. Later in his life, Roberts recalled the column, saying that he covered “the first farmer of the season to transplant tobacco plants from the seed bed to the field” and “a sweet potato that looked like Gen. Charles de Gaulle.”

              Roberts moved on to work for the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot (1958 to 1959) and Raleigh News & Observer (1959 to 1961) before being selected for a Nieman Fellowship by Harvard University in 1962. The Nieman Fellowship is a prestigious 10-month appointment at Harvard University for reporters, editors, photographers, editorial writers, and cartoonists with at least five years of full-time professional experience in news media. According to Harvard’s Nieman Foundation for Journalism, fellows use this time “to step back from deadlines, to renew their intellectual curiosity and to enrich their understanding of the worlds they cover as journalists.” As a result, Roberts spent his time at Harvard preparing a book with fellow Nieman award winner, Jack Nelson, called The Censors and the Schools (1963).

              After spending time at Harvard, Roberts returned to the Goldsboro News-Argus and worked as its Sunday editor from 1962 to 1963. He then spent one year with the Detroit Free Press covering labor (1963 to 1964) and then one year as its city editor (1964 to 1965). In 1965, Roberts was one of the most promising young journalists in America. His hard work was not overlooked, as he was spotted by The New York Times. In 1965, they offered him a job as a chief Southern correspondent. Roberts accepted the position and spent two years covering many of the trials and tribulations of the Civil Rights Movement. When the Vietnam War started heating up, Roberts was quickly sent to South Vietnam in 1968. Once there, Roberts encountered a soldier who recognized his column from the Goldsboro News-Argus. Taken aback by the man, Roberts later wrote, “I learned never to underestimate readers. They can laugh with you at the Charles de Gaulle sweet potato stories, but they expect depth when stories arise that are important to them.”

              When Roberts returned to the U.S., The Times named him its national editor in 1969. He stayed there until 1972, when the Philadelphia Inquirer came knocking on his door. The paper was losing money and its journalistic qualities were coming into question. The Inquirer sought out someone who could bring energy and uphold high standards of journalism. Roberts was the perfect fit. He was hired as its new executive editor and change was immediate. With Roberts at the helm, The Inquirer tackled various local, national, and international issues. Topics varied from Pentagon spending to mental hospitals to South Africa. Stories such as these earned the respect from other journalists and newspapers across the country. The hard work paid off as the paper earned 17 Pulitzer Prizes in an 18-year span.

              In a stunning change of events, Roberts announced his decision to leave The Inquirer at a noon meeting in 1990. Surprising most of his staff with the decision, Roberts became so emotional during his announcement that he left the meeting early. After numerous confrontations over budget cuts, Roberts finally had enough and resented an industry obsessed with profit margins. Hearing of Roberts’s resignation, Bill Kovach, curator of the Nieman Foundation, said, “Gene Roberts or persons like him were the kind of people that Jefferson and Madison and George Mason had in mind when they carved out the role of journalists in a self-governing society.” Roberts was known to say, “I didn’t want to work for another newspaper. This is my newspaper.”

              Roberts kept his distance from newspapers by accepting a teaching job at the University of Maryland in 1991. In 1993, he received the National Press Club’s “Fourth Estate Award” as a tribute to his lifetime of achievements in journalism. After a few years of teaching journalism classes, Roberts was persuaded by friend and executive editor of The New York Times, Joe Lelyveld, to become managing editor of The Times in 1994. Roberts took a three year leave of absence from Maryland in order to help a newspaper find its old identity. According to some at the time the newspaper was “socially rigid and out of step with the mood, views, and concerns of New Yorkers.” Although Roberts was at The Times for only a few years, he reverted to the hard-nosed journalistic approach. By allowing journalists to take their time to find and write a good story rather than just write about the sensational, The Times produced several well-written stories and gained back some of its credibility. Roberts returned to the University of Maryland in 1997.

              In 2007, Roberts, along with Hank Klibanoff, authored a book entitled The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation, which explores how America’s press system has evolved over time, going from ignoring race issues to realizing the importance of the 1950s and 1960s civil rights movement. Vanessa Bush, a Booklist contributor, wrote that Klibanoff and Roberts "demonstrate the profound changes the movement wrought not only on U.S. social justice but also on American journalism." Other reviewers in addition to Bush have applauded the Roberts and Klibanoff for how they recognize the black journalists and editors who had been historically ignored and gone unnoticed. In 2007, Klibanoff and Roberts won the Pulitzer Prize for this book (Contemporary Authors Online).

              Roberts currently lives in the Washington, D.C. area with his wife Susan and continues to teach journalism at the University of Maryland. Together Roberts and Susan have raised four children: Leslie Jane, Margaret Page, Elizabeth Susan, and Polly Ann. Roberts teaches classes on writing complex stories, newsroom management, and the press’ role in the Civil Rights Movement. He enjoys his time away from the news field saying, “Four months off at the end of spring. Four to six weeks off during the Christmas holiday...that wouldn’t have been possible if I were still in the newspaper business.” Roberts also served as the American chairman of both the International Press Institute and the Committee to Protect Journalists. He is a former chairman of the Pulitzer Board for awards in journalism and arts and letters.


              The Censors and the Schools. With Jack Nelson. Westport: Greenwood Publishing Group, 1977.
              Assignment America. New York: New York Times Co., 1974.
              Conglomerates and the Media. New York: The New Press, 1997.
              The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation. With Hank Klibanoff. New York: Knopf, 2007.
              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-02-2013, 05:17 PM.


              • Walter Munford Harrison

                Born: August 16, 1888, Irvington, KY
                Died: September 5, 1961, Oklahoma City, OK, age 73,---d. coronary thrombosis

                Managing editor;
                Wayne, NE, 11-year old, (June 15, 1900 census)
                Des Moines, IA, newspaper reporter, (April, 1910 census)
                Oklahoma City, OK, newspaper editor, (January 12, 1920 census)
                Oklahoma City, OK, managing editor, newspaper, (April 30, 1930 census)
                Oklahoma City, OK, newspaper, managing editor, (April 2, 1940 census)
                Des Moines newspapers
                Minneapolis newspapers
                Winnipeg Tribune (Manitoba, Canada), managing editor, ? - 1916
                Daily Oklahoman, managing editor, 1910? - 1930?
                Oklahoma City Times, managing editor,
                Okdoner? Publishing Co., (June 5, 1917 WWI Civilian Draft Registration)

                Father: J. M., born England, December, 1863; Mother: Willa, born Kentucky, July, 1865; Wife: Anne W., born Illinois, around 1889; Son: Gilbert, born California, around 1914; Daughter: Barbara, born Canada, around 1916; Son: Walter Munford, Jr., born Oklahoma, around 1917; Son: John D., born Oklahoma, around 1926;
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-04-2013, 12:06 AM.


                • John Michael O'Connell, Jr.

                  Born: September 2, 1895, Bangor, ME
                  Died: November 19, 1954, Bangor, ME, age 59,---d. at home of a heart ailment.

                  Managing editor;
                  Bangor, ME, 4-year old, (June, 7, 1900 census)
                  Bangor, ME, 14-year old,(April 18, 1910 census)
                  Bangor, ME, Daily paper, reporter, (January 12, 1920 census)
                  Bangor, ME, real estate, agent, (April 8, 1930 census)
                  Bangor, ME, managing editor, newspaper work, (April 8, 1940 census)
                  WWI, infantry lieutenant, newspaper reporter, (J. P. Boas Publishing, Co., (June 5, 1917, WWI Civilian Draft Registration)
                  Attended University of Maine, (left after sophmore year enlisting in Army.)(56th Pioneer Infantry, participated in Meuse-Argonne offensive.)
                  Bangor Commercial (Bangor, ME), reporter, telegraph editor
                  Insurance business, (about 10 years)
                  Portland Press Herald, correspondent
                  Bangor Daily News, city editor, 1928 - 1940, managing editor, 1940 - 1954, death.
                  US Army, WWII, war correspondent for The News, in the European theater.
                  Blue eyes, light hair,

                  Father: John Michael, Sr., born Maine, May, 1868; Mother: Sarah, born Maine, August, 1869; Wife Esther M. Kennedy, born Massachusetts, around 1901; Son: John Michael, III, born Maine, around 1933; Daughter: Sara Ann, born Maine, around 1935;

                  Harftford Courant obituary, November 20, 1954, pp. 5.
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM.


                  • Robert Lee Brooks---AKA Bob Brooks

                    Born: October 24, 1921, Rutherford County, NC
                    Died: November 18, 1999, Raleigh, NC, age 78

                    Raleigh editor;
                    Attended Gardner-Webb College
                    Shelby Daily Star,
                    US Marine Corps, 1942 - 1946
                    Raleigh News and Observer, assistant sports editor, December, 1946 - July 8, 1955?, sports editor, managing editor, 1972 - 1986

                    Wife: Dorris Cline; Son: Robert Lee, Jr.; Son: David; Son: Raymond; Daughter: Liz;

                    He won the sports writers' golf tournament 4 consecutive years, 1951 - 1954.

                    Raliegh News & Observer (Raleigh, NC) obituary, Friday, November 19, 1999
                    Former N&O managing editor Bob Brooks, 78, dies

                    Bob Brooks, a former News & Observer managing editor known by colleagues as a demanding and dedicated newsman, died Thursday.

                    Brooks, who was 78, came to The N&O as a sports writer in 1946, later moving to the news department, where his keen sense of a story kept him - and a generation of reporters who labored under him - at work many nights even after the paper had been put to bed.

                    Obsessive in his quest to "get it first, but get it right," Brooks is remembered by former colleagues as a traditional newsman for whom right and wrong were as black and white as the old movies from which he sometimes seemed to have stepped.

                    From 1972 until his retirement in 1986, Brooks was managing editor and oversaw the newspaper's news, feature, business and sports content.

                    "I've never known an editor with greater concern for his staff, his newspaper and its readers than Bob Brooks," said Claude Sitton, who retired as editor of The N&O in 1990. "We all benefited greatly from his knowledge, his wisdom and his never-ending determination to maintain the tradition of solid, aggressive news coverage for which The Nuisance & Disturber was known throughout Eastern North Carolina and the Research Triangle.

                    "We have lost not only a highly respected colleague but also a fine friend."

                    Frank Daniels Jr., whose family previously owned The N&O, called Brooks "one of the best newspapermen I ever knew."

                    "He was in many ways the heart and soul of The News & Observer's news operations for years and years," Daniels said.

                    Some staffers were fearful of Brooks, who demanded they strive for excellence and, when they didn't, came at them with the forefinger of his right hand, pointing from across the newsroom or jabbing them in the chest. Most dreaded of all was the closely held, inwardly curling finger that silently summoned a staff member to Brooks' glassed office.

                    Dennis Rogers, an N&O columnist, remembered one of Brooks' decisions. Rogers said that he didn't ask to become a columnist and didn't want to but that Brooks assigned him anyway, with no instruction about what a column was or how to find one. But as usual, Rogers said, Brooks was right. Rogers has been a columnist for 23 years.

                    Many of Brooks' years at the paper were during a different era in journalism. There were few visual elements in the newspaper, no Web page, few long-term special projects that took months to execute - just lots of news. The N&O then had a network of stringers who called in news from 48 counties in the Piedmont and eastern parts of the state. If anybody died between Raleigh and the coast, Brooks wanted an obituary in the paper the next day, and he wanted it right.

                    Brooks usually proofread the newspaper himself, often staying late into the night. When he left, he took copies of the first edition of the next day's paper with him, read it through and called in with corrections.
                    "He demanded nothing short of excellence," said Robert L. Brooks Jr. of Raleigh, one of his three sons. "Not that he expected everybody to make it, but he never expected people to quit trying."

                    After retirement, Brooks concentrated on hobbies he had long neglected: reading, surf fishing and golfing. In recent years, his son said, Brooks had come close to equaling the golf scores of his sports-writing days, when he didn't go to work until late afternoon and had plenty of time to play the links. He scored an 80.

                    Robert Lee Brooks, a native of Rutherford County, attended Gardner-Webb College and worked for the Shelby Daily Star before joining The N&O. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1942 to 1946.

                    Besides Robert Jr., Brooks is survived by his wife, Dorris Cline Brooks; sons, David Brooks of Rocky Mount and Raymond Brooks of Raleigh; daughter, Liz Brooks of Westport, Conn.; brother, Boyd Brooks of Rutherfordton; sister, Sadie Hendrix of Winston-Salem; and seven grandchildren.

                    The funeral will be at 2 p.m. today at Raleigh's First Baptist Church on Salisbury Street. The family will receive visitors from 1 to 2 p.m in the church parlor.
                    Staff writer Lorenzo Perez contributed to this report.
                    Author: MARTHA QUILLIN
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-07-2013, 01:55 PM.


                    • Clark William Davey

                      Born: 1928, Chatham, Ontario, Canada
                      Died: Still Alive

                      Canadian publisher / editor;
                      Graduated University of Western Ontario, 1948
                      Chatham Daily News, reporter,
                      Kirkland Lake Northern Daily News, 1951
                      Globe and Mail, 1951, managing editor, 1963 - 1978
                      Pacific Press, 1978,
                      Vancouver Sun, publisher,
                      Ottawa Citizen, publisher,
                      Montreal Gazette, publisher,

                      Clark Davey is the recipient of the 2009 Michener Special Award
                      Michener Special Award
                      Ottawa, June 10, 2009 - The Governor General of Canada, Michaëlle Jean, presented the 'Special Michener Award' to former publisher, managing editor, and reporter Clark Davey in recognition of his lifetime achievement in the field of journalism.

                      He was praised for contributing 'his talents and dedication in abundance through a lifetime that has exemplified the best in public interest journalism'. The award was presented during the 2008 Michener Awards ceremony held at Government House in Ottawa.

                      Clark Davey's career, includes terms as publisher of The Vancouver Sun, The Ottawa Citizen and The Montreal Gazette. He is also a former Managing Editor of the Globe and Mail and past president and chair of Canadian Press. For the past 25 years he has served as a founding board member, president, and continuing executive secretary of the Michener Awards Foundation.

                      Born in Chatham, Ontario, Mr. Davey was a member of the first graduating class in Journalism at the University of Western Ontario in 1948. He would later receive an honourary Bachelor of Laws from the same University for his contribution to Canadian journalism.

                      After starting his career as a reporter for the Chatham Daily News and later, managing editor of the Kirkland Lake Northern Daily News, he joined the Globe and Mail in the early fifties where he served as a Parliamentary Press Gallery correspondent and covered the election campaigns of John Diefenbaker and Lester Pearson. At the United Nations in New York he reported extensively on then Minister of External Affairs Lester Pearson and his successful diplomatic mission to diffuse the 1956 Suez Crisis. Clark Davey was one of only three journalists with John Diefenbaker in Prince Albert in June of 1957 on the night he won election as prime minister.

                      Mr. Davey rose though the editorial ranks at the Globe and Mail to become Managing Editor - a position he held for his last 15 years at the newspaper before moving to the west coast and Pacific Press in 1978.

                      He has also served as a director of the National Newspaper Awards, the Canadian Daily Newspaper Association, among other organizations, and has lectured at various Canadian Universities and Colleges.
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-05-2012, 01:15 PM.


                      • Joseph Kenneth Donlan---AKA Ken Donlan

                        Born: September 27, 1927, Lancashire County, England
                        Died: May 23, 1994, Chislehurst, England, age 66

                        Managing editor;
                        London Daily Mail, ? - 1971
                        London Sun, news editor, 1971 - ?, managing editor, 1981 - ?
                        London World, news editor, 1980 - 1981

                        Kenneth Donlan (1927 or 1928 – 23 May 1994) was a British newspaper editor.
                        Donlan worked for the Daily Mail for 25 years at their offices in London and Manchester. In 1971 he moved to rival tabloid The Sun where he became news editor. He was briefly editor of the News of the World from 1980 to 1981 before returning to The Sun as managing editor. In 1989 he became the first national newspaper ombudsman in the United Kingdom. Donlan died at the age of 66 in Chislehurst.
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-19-2013, 03:44 PM.


                        • Pete Andre Weitzel

                          Born: July 5, 1936, Summit, OH
                          Died: Still Alive

                          Managing editor;
                          Akron, OH, 3-year old, (April 3, 1940 census)
                          University of Illinois, 1958, (B. A., political science)
                          Miami Herald, general assignment reporter, assistant city editor, night city editor, government editor, state editor, assistant managing editor, deputy managing editor, managing editor, 1983 - 1995

                          Father: Edwin Anthony, born Pennsylvania, around 1906; Mother: Dorothy E., born Ohio, around 1913;
                          Throughout his distinguished journalism career, Pete Weitzel has been known as an innovator, mentor and champion of the First Amendment.

                          Weitzel was born into a newspaper family. His father, Tony, was a noteworthy columnist for the Chicago Herald, and Weitzel's early accomplishments at The Daily Illini showed he would soon follow in the family business.

                          Weitzel began his professional career at The Miami Herald. Starting out as a general assignment reporter, Weitzel moved to the editing side of the desk in 1965. He held positions as assistant city editor, night city editor, government editor, state editor, assistant managing editor and deputy managing editor. In 1983, Weitzel received the nod to become The Miami Herald's managing editor, a decision that brought the Miami paper unmatched success in the next decade.

                          In his new role, Weitzel oversaw a staff that won eight Pulitzer Prizes and a variety of other national and regional journalism awards. Additionally, the paper started the first suburban tabloid supplement published by a daily newspaper, a widely copied Business/Monday section and El Herald, the first foreign-language companion published daily with a U.S. newspaper. Under Weitzel, The Herald was at the forefront of the newspaper industry.

                          But as if the accolades weren't enough, Weitzel was also a freedom fighter, toiling as an advocate of the First Amendment in the state of Florida. While managing editor of The Miami Herald, Weitzel founded the Florida First Amendment Foundation, building on his previous success as chairman of the Florida Society of Newspaper Editors Freedom of Information Committee. He has served on FOI committees for several noteworthy organizations, including the Florida Society of Newspaper Editors and the American Society of Newspaper Editors, and as a leader of the national Sunshine Week.

                          Since leaving The Miami Herald in 1995, Weitzel has taught at the Poynter Institute for Media Studies, served as coordinator for the Coalition of Journalists for Open Government and led the North Carolina Center on Actual Innocence, working with law and journalism students to investigate claims of wrongful conviction.

                          Note: This bio was written in 2008, and reflects the Hall of Famer’s career to that point.
                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-19-2013, 04:12 PM.


                          • Peter S. Lyons---AKA Pete Lyons

                            Born: May 18, 1952,
                            Died: Still Alive

                            Auto magazine editor;
                            Autosport, senior editor,

                            For six seasons I reported on the North American scene for Autosport, regularly attending great events like the Daytona 24-hour and 500-mile races, the Sebring 12-hour, the Indy 500, and the annual Formula One Grands Prix in Canada, the U.S. and Mexico.

                            Then I went international, spending four fascinating years as the F1 correspondent for both Autosport and and the American publication AutoWeek. From 1973 through 1976, at a time before live television or the internet, when fans had to wait for their magazine to arrive to learn the results of a race weekend, my goal was to put the reader into my boots at such exotic locales as Argentina, Brazil, South Africa, Japan and all the great circuits of Europe.

                            After several years on-staff as editor of a US racing monthly, which at first was called Formula and later renamed Racecar, I chose to become a freelancer once again. I have contributed to a wide variety of automotive publications including Vintage Racecar, which carries my regular column, "Fast Lines." Other prestigeous publications in which my byline has appeared include AutoWeek (for whom I was for many years a Senior Contributing Editor), Racer, Road & Track, Corvette Quarterly, Car and Driver, Vintage Motorsport, Cycle, Cycle World, Private Pilot and many others. For 12 years I was editor and principle photographer of MilePost, the monthly organ of the Motor Press Guild (MPG).

                            To date I am the author of nine published books, with two more currently underway. My work has twice been honored with the Dean Batchelor Award from the Motor Press Guild for Excellence in Journalism, plus an Award for Journalism given by the Road Racing Driver's Club and the International Motor Press Association's Ken Purdy Award.


                            • Harry Comfort Hindmarsh---AKA Harry Hindmarsh

                              Born: January 13, 1886, Bismark, MO
                              Died: December 20, 1956, Toronto, Canada, age 69,---d. heart attack

                              Canadian managing editor;
                              Attended University of Toronto, 1909
                              Toronto Globe, 1909
                              Toronto Daily Star, reporter, 1911 - 1912, city editor, 1912 - 1928, managing editor, 1928 - 1933, vice-president in charge of editorial departments, 1933 - 1948, President, 1948 - 1956.

                              Vancouver Sun obituary, Friday, December 21, 1956, pp. 3.
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-07-2013, 01:44 PM.


                              • William L. Shawn---AKA was born William L. Chon

                                Born: August 31, 1907, Chicago, IL,
                                Died: December 8, 1992, Manhattan, NY, age 85,---d. heart attack.

                                Managing editor;
                                Attended University of Michigan, 1925–1927 (dropped out without graduating.)
                                New Yorker, 1933 - ?, managing editor, 1939 - 1951, editor-in-chief, 1951 - 1987
                                Chicago, IL, 2-year old, (April 27, 1910 census)
                                Chicago, IL, 12-year old, (January, 1920 census)(listed as Billie Chon)
                                Chicago, IL, copywriter, advertising firm, (April 19, 1930 census)(listed as Chon)
                                Manhattan, NY, magazine editor, (April 8, 1940 census)(lived at Hotel Tuscany)(listed as William Shawn or Shaun)

                                Father: Benjiman T. Chon, born New York, around 1864; Mother: Anna (née Bransky) Chon, born England, around 1869; Wife: Cecille Lyon, born California, 1906, died 2005; William married Cecille in 1928.

                                William Shawn (August 31, 1907 – December 8, 1992) was an American magazine editor who edited The New Yorker from 1952 until 1987.

                                Early life and education
                                William Shawn was born in Chicago, Illinois, the son of Benjiman T. and Anna (née Bransky) Chon. He was the youngest of five siblings including Harold Irwin (1892–1967), Melba (born 1894), Nelson Allen (born 1898), and Myron Edward Chon (1902–1987). Chon dropped out of the University of Michigan after two years (1925–1927) and began working.

                                Early years

                                He traveled to Las Vegas, New Mexico where he worked at the local newspaper, the Optic. He returned to Chicago and worked as a journalist. Around 1930 he changed the spelling of his last name to Shawn.

                                In 1932, he and his wife, Cecille, went to New York City, where he tried to start a career as a composer.

                                At The New Yorker
                                Soon after their arrival in New York City, Cecille took a fact checking job at The New Yorker magazine, and her husband began working there in 1933. He would stay at the magazine for 53 years.

                                As assistant editor
                                Shawn rose to assistant editor of The New Yorker and oversaw the magazine's coverage of World War II. In 1946, he persuaded the magazine's founder and editor, Harold Ross, to run John Hersey's story about the atomic bombing of Hiroshima as the entire contents of one issue. He left for a few months shortly after that to write on his own, but soon returned.

                                As editor
                                A few weeks after Ross died in December 1951, Shawn was named editor.

                                Shawn's quiet style was a marked contrast to Ross's noisy manner. Whereas Ross constantly wrote letters to his contributors, Shawn hated to share anything, especially on paper. His shyness was office (and New York) legend, as were his claustrophobia and fear of elevators; many of his colleagues maintain that he carried a hatchet in his briefcase, in case he became trapped. He was secretive, aloof, and cryptic about his plans for the magazine and its contents.

                                Shawn would buy articles and then not run them for years, if ever. Members of the staff were given offices and salaries even if they produced little for the magazine; Joseph Mitchell, at one time a writer whose work appeared regularly, continued to come to his office from 1965 until his death in 1996 without ever publishing another word. But Shawn did give writers vast amounts of space to cover their subjects, and nearly all of them spoke reverently of him. J.D. Salinger in particular, adored him, and dedicated Franny and Zooey to Shawn.

                                Later years
                                When Advance Publications bought the magazine in 1985, the new owners promised that the magazine's editorship would not change hands until Shawn chose to retire. But speculation about Shawn's successor, a longtime topic of publishing-world chatter, grew. Shawn had been editor for a very long time, and the usual criticism of the magazine—that it had become stale and dull—was growing more pointed. Advance chairman S.I. Newhouse forced Shawn out in February 1987, and—after reportedly telling Shawn that he would honor his request to name his deputy Charles McGrath to succeed him—replaced Shawn with Robert Gottlieb, the editor-in-chief at the well-regarded book publisher Alfred A. Knopf.

                                Shawn was given office space in the Brill Building by Saturday Night Live executive producer Lorne Michaels, a longtime admirer, and soon took an editorship at Farrar, Straus and Giroux, a largely honorary post that he held until his death in New York City in 1992.

                                Awards and achievements
                                In 1988, he received the Polk Award.

                                Personal life
                                Shawn married Cecille Lyon (1906–2005) in 1928, and the couple had three children. One is the writer and character actor Wallace Shawn. The other son, Allen Shawn, a composer, is married to pianist Yoshiko Sato. Allen's twin sister, Mary, is autistic and resides at an institution in Delaware. In 2007 Allen Shawn published a memoir, Wish I Could Be There, centering on his own phobias.

                                In 1996, William Shawn's longtime New Yorker colleague Lillian Ross revealed in a memoir that she and Shawn had engaged in an extramarital affair from 1950 until his death, with Mrs. Shawn's knowledge. Ross reported that Shawn was active in the upbringing of Ross's adopted son, Erik.

                                Influences and legacy
                                In 1998, Indian author Ved Mehta, who had worked with Shawn at The New Yorker for almost three decades, published a biography of Shawn entitled Remembering Mr. Shawn's New Yorker: The Invisible Art of Editing.
                                Shawn was portrayed in the 2005 film Capote by Bob Balaban.
                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-02-2013, 02:23 PM.


                                Ad Widget