No announcement yet.

Meet The Sports Writers

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Edward Vincent Sullivan---AKA Ed Sullivan

    Born: March 19, 1901, New York City
    Died: October 13, 1973, Westbury, NY, age 72---d. at New York's Lenox Hill Hospital of esophageal cancer.

    New York sports writer / TV variety show host

    Wrote baseball for 12 years before he was given his own TV show.
    New York Mail,
    New York World,
    New York Morning Telegraph,
    New York Daily News, (column "Little Old New York", which he continued until his death.)
    Hosted his own TV variety show, The Ed Sullivan Show, June 20, 1948 - June 6, 1971

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Edward Vincent "Ed" Sullivan (September 28, 1901 – October 13, 1974) was an American entertainment writer and television host, best known as the presenter of a popular TV variety show called The Ed Sullivan Show that was popular in the 1950s and 1960s. Ed gained TV immortality for his long-running Sunday night TV variety show, "The Ed Sullivan Show", June 20, 1948 - June 6, 1971.

    A former boxer, Sullivan began his media work as a newspaper sportswriter. When Walter Winchell, one of the original gossip columnists and the most powerful entertainment reporter of his day, left the newspaper for the Hearst syndicate, Sullivan took over as theater columnist for The New York Graphic and later for The New York Daily News. His column concentrated on Broadway shows and gossip, as Winchell's had and, like Winchell, he also did show business news broadcasts on radio. Sullivan soon became a powerful star-maker in the entertainment world himself, becoming one of Winchell's main rivals, setting the El Morocco nightclub in New York as his unofficial headquarters against Winchell's seat of power at the nearby Stork Club. Sullivan continued writing for The News throughout his broadcasting career and his popularity long outlived that of Winchell.

    In 1948, the CBS network hired Sullivan to do a weekly Sunday night TV variety show, Toast of the Town, which later became The Ed Sullivan Show. Debuting in June 1948, the show was broadcast from CBS Studio 50, at 1697 Broadway (at 53rd Street) in New York City, which in 1967 was renamed the Ed Sullivan Theater (and is now the home of The Late Show with David Letterman).

    Somehow, Sullivan still seemed to fit the show; he appeared to the audience as an average guy who brought the great acts of show business to their home televisions. ("He will last," comedian and frequent guest Alan King was quoted as saying, "as long as someone else has talent.") He had a newspaperman's instinct for what the public wanted, and programmed his variety hours with remarkable balance. There was something for everyone. A typical show would feature a vaudeville act (acrobats, jugglers, magicians, etc.), one or two popular comedians, a singing star, a hot jukebox favorite, a figure from the legitimate theater, and for the kids, a visit with puppet "Topo Gigio, the little Italian mouse." The bill was often international in scope, with many European performers augmenting the American artists.

    Sullivan had a healthy sense of humor about himself and permitted—even encouraged—impersonators such as John Byner, Frank Gorshin, Rich Little and especially Will Jordan to imitate him on his show. Johnny Carson also did a fair impression, and even Joan Rivers imitated Sullivan's unique posture. The impressionists exaggerated his stiffness, raised shoulders, and nasal tenor phrasing, along with some of his commonly used introductions, such as "And now, right here on our stage..." and "For all you youngsters out there..." and "...a really big shoe..." Will Jordan portrayed Sullivan in the films I Wanna Hold Your Hand, The Buddy Holly Story, The Doors, Mr. Saturday Night, Down With Love, and in the 1979 TV movie Elvis.

    In the 1950s and 1960s, Sullivan was a respected star-maker because of the number of performers that became household names after appearing on the show. He had a knack for identifying and promoting top talent and paid a great deal of money to secure that talent for his show.

    Sullivan appreciated African American talent. He paid for the funeral of dancer Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson out of his own pocket. He also defied pressure to exclude African American musicians from appearing on his show.

    Unlike many shows of the time, Sullivan asked that most musical acts perform their music live, rather than lip-synching to their recordings. Examination of performances show that exceptions were made.

    In August 1956, Sullivan was injured in an automobile accident that occurred near his country home in Southbury, Connecticut. Sullivan had to take a medical leave from the show and missed the September 8 appearance of Elvis Presley. Earlier Sullivan had said that he would never invite Presley on his program. Charles Laughton wound up introducing Presley on the Sullivan hour. On a later Presley appearance, Sullivan made amends by telling his audience, "This is a real decent, fine boy."

    Sullivan's failure to scoop the TV industry with Presley made him determined to get the next big sensation first. In 1964, he achieved that with the first live American appearance of The Beatles, on February 9, 1964, the most-watched program in TV history to that point and still one of the most-watched programs of all time. The Beatles appeared three more times on the Sullivan show in person, and submitted filmed performances later. Sullivan struck up such a rapport with the Beatles that he agreed to introduce them at their momentous Shea Stadium concert on August 15, 1965. The Dave Clark Five, heavily promoted as having a "cleaner" image than the Beatles, made 13 appearances on the Sullivan show, more than any other UK group.

    At a time when television had not yet embraced country and western music, Sullivan was adamant about featuring Nashville performers on his program.

    By 1971, the show was no longer in television's top 20. New CBS executives, who wanted to attract younger viewers, canceled the show along with virtually all of the network's oldest shows. Sullivan was so upset and angry that he refused to do a final show, although he did return to CBS for several TV specials and a 25th-anniversary show in 1973. One year later, the man known as "Stone Face" died October 13, 1974 of esophageal cancer at age 73 at New York's Lenox Hill Hospital, coincidentally on a Sunday night. His funeral was attended by 3,000 at St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York on a cold, rainy day. Sullivan is interred in a crypt at the Ferncliff Cemetery in Hartsdale, New York.

    Sullivan was married to the former Sylvia Weinstein from April 28, 1930, until her death on March 16, 1973. They had one daughter, Betty Sullivan (who married the Sullivan show's producer, Bob Precht). Sullivan was in the habit of calling Sylvia after every program to get her immediate critique.



    The Beatles, rehearsing day before 1st appearance, February 8, 1964-----------------------------------------February 9, 1964.

    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 10-05-2011, 05:09 PM.


    • George William Daley

      Born: September 14, 1875, Rensselaer, NY
      Died: August 12, 1952, Rensselaer, NY, age 76,---d. at his sister's home, after a long illness.

      New York sports writer / editor;
      Graduated Union College (Schenectady, NY),
      The Staten Islander,
      New York Sun, proofreader, 1897
      New York Herald, editor, (1900 and 1910 census), reporter, city editor, managing editor, ? - 1912
      New York World, editor, 1912 - 1931 (September 12, 1918, WWI Civilian Draft Registration) He took up baseball writing shortly before WWI.
      New York World, editor, 1920 (1920 census)
      New York Times, copy editor of sports dept., October 30, 1931 - 1952
      He resided at West Brighton, Staten Island for over 50 years.

      Wife: Marion Rhine, born Michigan, 1875; Daughter: Alice F., born NY, 1896; Daughter: Helen A., born NY, 1898; Daughter: Marion M., born NY, 1901. Both parents born New York state.
      Bowling was his lifelong hobby.

      New York Times' obituary, August 13, 1952, pp. 21.

      ----------------------------------------------------------------Who Was Who in Journalism, 1925, pp. 70.

      1923 World Series scorers: L-R: Frank O'Neil, George W. Daley, Fred Lieb

      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-29-2014, 11:15 AM.


      • George Herbert Daley

        Born: December 26, 1869, NYC
        Died: February 8, 1938, NYC, age 68,---d. complications pneumonia, pleurisy

        New York sports editor;
        New York Evening Post, sports writer, 1897 - 1903
        New York Tribune, sports editor, 1904 - 1916
        New York World, sports editor, 1916 - 1931
        New York World Telegram, (for 6 months)
        New York Herald Tribune, 1931 - 1938
        Introduced all-star football games to New York, started the Herald-Tribune football school. New York Press Club, Alpha Delta Phi.

        New York Times obituary, February 8, 1938, pp. 22.

        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Who Was Who in Journalism, 1925, pp. 70.

        October 3, 1926: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY: Herb Pennock receives 'The All America Team' Award, George Daley, Babe Ruth.
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-29-2014, 11:14 AM.


        • Lawrence Haughton Woltz---AKA Larry Woltz

          Born: March 2, 1882, Florida
          Died: December 10, 1946, Jacksonville, FL, age 64

          Chicago/Jacksonville, FL sports writer;
          Chicago Herald-Examiner, spedcialized in Baseball. (September, 1918 to at least 1920);
          Florida Times-Union sports editor

          New York Times' obituary, December 11, 1946, pp. 31, column 5.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-21-2010, 03:05 PM.


          • William Kennedy McKay---AKA Judge McKay

            Born: November 16, 1870, New Orleans, LA
            Died: September 23, 1944, Oak Park, IL, age 73,---d. was ill last year of his life.

            Chicago sports writer / sports editor;
            (1870 census)
            (1880 census)
            (1900 census)
            Louisville, KY, editor, (April 21, 1910 census)
            (1920 census)
            Oak Park, IL, newspaper, (April 18, 1930 census)
            Oak Park, IL, editorial manager, newspaper, (April 5, 1940 census)

            Dubuque, IA reporter, 1884 - ?
            Chicago Mail, reporter, 1894 - 1895
            Chicago Times-Herald, assistant city editor, 1895 - ?, city editor,
            Chicago Journal, Managing Editor, 1899 - 1904
            Detroit Tribune, Managing Editor,
            Cleveland News, Managing Editor, 1905 - 1912
            Louisville Herald, Managing Editor,
            Chicago Evening-Post, Managing Editor,
            Chicago Tribune, March 3, 1918 - 1919. American correspondent of the Chicago Tribune's European edition, sent to members of the American Expeditionary Forces.
            Midwest correspondent for the New York Daily News, 1919 - 1944, death.

            Father: born Ireland; Mother, born Ireland; Wife: Juliette Augusta Kinzie, born March 11, 1875, New Mexico, died Oak Park, IL, September 29, 1954; William married Juliette on August 30, 1899.

            New York Times' Obituary---------Chicago Sunday Tribune Obituary
            September 24, 1944, pp. 46.------September 24, 1944, pp. 8.

            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-04-2014, 08:43 AM.


            • Abraham Yager---AKA Abe Yager

              Born: July 13, 1870, Brooklyn, NY
              Died: August 22, 1930, New York City, NY, age 60,--d. Jewish Hospital (New Hyde Park, Queens, NY) of cancer. Had been ill several months and hoarse in throat

              Brooklyn sports writer / sports editor; Jewish
              New York, NY, 1-year old, (December 20, 1870 census)
              Brooklyn, NY, reporter, (Eagle), (June 13, 1900 census)
              Brooklyn, NY Editor, newspaper, (April 20, 1910 census)
              Brooklyn, NY, editor, Brooklyn Eagle, (January 12, 1920 census)
              Brooklyn, NY, editorial, newspaper, (April 15, 1930 census)

              Brooklyn Eagle, 1885 - 1930; sports editor, 1896 - 1930.
              Official scorer of Brooklyn home games for 30 years.

              Father: Julias, born Germany, 1835?; Mother: Leanah, born Germany, 1837?; Wife: Esther, born New York, 1875?; Son: Julias, born New York, 1897?; Daughter: Florence, born New York, 1900?; Son: Harold, born New York, 1902?;

              Sporting News' article, June 12, 1941, pp. 6, col. 2-5.
              'Four Kings' Who Ruled as Rival Sports Editors,
              Founded Royal Regime of Loyal Dodger Fandom

              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-04-2014, 08:12 AM.


              • Guy McI. Smith

                Born: December 2, 1870, Indianapolis, IN
                Died: June 12, 1950, Danville, IL, age 77

                Danville, IL Historian;
                La Fayette, IN, 7-year old, (June 2, 1880 census)
                Danville, IL, Baggageman, railroad, (1900 census)
                Danville, IL, Main clerk, railroad, (April 20, 1910 census)
                Danville, IL, Postal clerk, railroad, (January 14, 1920 census)
                Danville, IL, Postal clerk, railway, (April 9, 1930 census)
                Danville, IL, retired, (April 26, 1940 census)
                Graduated Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN),
                Courier cub reporter, 1889 - 1893
                Indianapolis Sentinel general writing & police run, 1893 - 1895,
                Nickel Plate Railroad claim department, 1895 - 1897
                C. & E. I. Railroad chief clerk to the transportation supervisor, 1897 - ? Entered mail service after 1900, spent 34 yrs. there.
                Was a city police official at his death.

                Father: B. Wilcox, born West Virginia, 1830?; Mother: Ruth A., born Indiana, 1837?; Wife: Dora E., born Pennsylvania, March, 1877; Son: Frederic B., born Illinois, 1907?; Wife 2: Larissa A., born Ohio, 1883?; Richard N., born Ohio, 1916?;

                GetImage.pdf---Sporting News article on Guy Smith, May 1, 1941.

                Sporting News' obituary, June 21, 1950, pp. 38, col. 4.
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-03-2014, 12:26 PM.


                • William Aloysius Curley

                  Born: March 23, 1874, New York City
                  Died: October 24, 1955, New York City, age 81---d. heart ailment

                  New York sports writer;
                  New York, NY, 6-year old, (June 4, 1880 census)
                  New York, NY, Associate editor, (June 13, 1900 census)
                  Brooklyn, NY, reporter, newspaper, (April 16, 1910 census)
                  Chicago, IL, editor, Chicago American newspaper, (January 3, 1920 census)
                  Chicago, IL, editor, New York Journal, (April 15, 1930 census)
                  Brooklyn, NY, guard, bank, (1940 census)
                  office boy for ad agency
                  New York Record - wrote bicycle news
                  New York Journal, sports writer, later sports editor
                  New York American, Sunday editor, news editor, 1898 - ?
                  Los Angeles Herald, managing editor, 1911 - 1913
                  San Francisco Call, managing editor, 1913 - 1914
                  Chicago American, editor, 1914 - 1927
                  New York Journal, 1927, managing editor, editor
                  Hearst Consolidated Publications, assistant editor in chief.

                  Father: Michael, born Ireland, 1845?; Mother: Kate, born New York 1850?; Wife 1: Mary M., born Massachusetts, 1874?, died Miami Beach, FL, March 3, 1935; Son: William, born New York, 1899?; Daughter: Kathrine, born New York, 1900?; Son: Robert E., born New York, 1902?; Daughter: Miriam, born New York, 1904?; Daughter: Ethel, born 1906?; Wife 2: Mary L. Grace, born New York, 1876?;

                  New York Times' obituary, October 24, 1955, pp. 27.
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-03-2014, 11:49 AM.


                  • Frederick Wilhelm Mosebach---AKA Fred Mosebach

                    Born: August 20, 1871, San Antonio, TX
                    Died: February 8, 1951, San Antonio, TX, age 79

                    San Antonio, TX sports writer;
                    San Antonio, TX, 8-year old, (June 16, 1880 census)(listed Fritz Mosebach)
                    San Antonio, TX, reporter, Daily Light, (June 4, 1900 census)(listed F. W. Mosebach)
                    San Antonio, TX, reporter, newspaper, (April 25, 1910 census)
                    Eagle Pass, TX, Secretary, Chamber of Commerce, (January 22, 1920 census)
                    San Antonio, TX, sports editor, newspaper,(April 11, 1930 census)
                    St. Mary College (San Antonio, TX),
                    San Antonio Express, 1892: reporter / news editor
                    San Antonio Light, 1894 - 1906:
                    Gazette, 1906 - 1908; editor
                    Laredo Record, 1915;
                    San Antonio correspondents bureau,
                    Austin (Tex) American, 1916; editor
                    Eagle Pass Guide, 1918 - 1921. W S:
                    recruiting service: Finance Dept. Q M D, USA. MEM: Tex Edl Assn.
                    San Antonio Express sports editor And later a feature writer.
                    San Antonio, Tex. Sports editor,
                    San Antonio (Tex) Express, February, 1924 - 1941.

                    Mother: Emma, born Prussia, March, 1850?; Wife: Louise, born Germany, 1878?; Son: Harwell C., born Texas, 1904?; Son: Callan H., born Texas, 1904?;

                    Sporting News' item, April 23, 1936.--------------------------------------------------Who Was Who in Journalism

                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary, February 21, 1951, pp. 18, column 4.
                    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-03-2014, 09:30 AM.


                    • Frederick Hammond Van Ness---AKA Fred Van Ness

                      Born: December 28, 1880, Ellenville, NY
                      Died: June 6, 1959, Jamaica (Queens), NY, age 74---d. in his sleep at the Whitman Hotel.

                      San Francisco/New York sports writer;
                      Avon, New York, 3-year old, (June 21,1880 census)
                      Leyden, IL, stage mechanic, theater, (April 17, 1930 census)
                      Chicago, IL, Proprietor, recreation dealer, (April 16, 1940 census)

                      San Francisco Chronicle, 1916-46
                      New York Mail, 1911;
                      New York Times, 1919-20, 1935-40
                      self-employed operator of billiard parlor, (5721 West Division St., Chicago, IL), April 28, 1942

                      Father: Moses, born Canada, 1811?; Mother: Sarah, born New York, 1845?; Wife: May J., born Michigan, 1882?;
                      New York Times' obituary, June 7, 1959, pp. 86.
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-03-2014, 08:59 AM.


                      • Jacob Charles Morse---AKA Jake Morse

                        Born: June 7, 1860, Concord, NH
                        Died: April 12, 1937, Brookline, MA, age 76,---d. heart attack at home, cremated.

                        Boston sports writer;
                        Boston, MA, 10-year old, attending school, (June 24, 1870 census)
                        Boston, MA, 20-year old, at Harvard College, (June 5, 1880 census)
                        Brookline, MA, Sporting Editor, (June 23, 1900 census)
                        Brookline, MA, Bank clerk, Bank, (May 6, 1910 census)
                        Brookline, MA, President, Massachusetts Motors, (January 13, 1920 census)
                        Brookline, MA, salesman, Life insurance, (April 23,1930 census)
                        Graduated Roxbury Latin School (Boston, MA), 1877
                        Harvard College (Cambridge, MA), 1881, Boston University Law School, 1884
                        Boston Globe, 1883
                        Boston Herald, 1885 - March, 1907, sports editor, 1884 - 1901
                        Secretary of New England Baseball League, 1892 - 1912
                        Left baseball writing after the 1913 season.
                        became insurance man, 1921 (J.D.E. Jones general agency)
                        Wrote a history of Baseball, (Sphere & Ash, 1888)
                        Helped launch Baseball Magazine, May, 1908 & was one of its' Presidents & editors until 1912. Was replaced as President in late, 1910 by Joseph Potts.
                        Boston Traveler, ? - 1937, death.
                        Managed Boston Nationals, University, 1884

                        Father: Charles, born Bavaria (Baden)(Germany), 1833?; Mother: Sara (Straus), born Bavaria (Baden)(Germany), 1837?; Wife: Josephine, born New York, 1876?; Son: Charles, born Massachusetts, 1894?; Son: Reginnald, born Massachusetts, 1898?;

                        Jake Morse
                        by Charlie Bevis

                        An influential sportswriter in Boston, Jake Morse helped to shape the public's perception of baseball during the game's accelerated growth stage from the 1880s to the beginning of World War I. Morse wrote for the Boston Herald and contributed articles to Sporting Life. He also served as secretary of the New England League, a minor league circuit. One of Morse's most notable accomplishments was the founding in 1908 of Baseball Magazine, the first monthly periodical devoted to baseball.

                        Jacob Charles Morse was born on June 7, 1860, in Concord, New Hampshire. He was the oldest child of Charles and Sara (Straus) Morse, both immigrants born in Bavaria, who raised a family of ten children after coming to the United States around 1850. Morse had three brothers and six sisters, the youngest being Matilda, who was born in 1879. The family moved to Boston, Massachusetts, in 1866 when Morse was six years old. In Boston, they united with his father's family, which had established itself in the clothing business and became prominent members of the Jewish community.

                        His uncle Leopold was a highly successful clothing merchant in Boston, operating the clothing store Leopold Morse & Co. He was also elected five times to the U.S. Congress on the Democratic ticket, one of the first Jewish citizens elected to Congress. In 1889, he established the Leopold Morse Home as a haven for orphans as well as aged and infirm Jewish people.

                        His uncle Godrey, a lawyer by training, was a renowned public servant. After graduating from Harvard College, he was elected to the Boston School Committee in 1875 and later served as a member of the Boston Common Council. He was president of the Leopold Morse Home for many years and served as an officer for several charitable organizations.

                        Morse's father operated a wholesale boys clothing business in Boston, first known as Philips, Morse & Co. and later Morse, Johnson & Co. After the Great Boston Fire in 1872, he conducted the business by himself before leaving for Colorado with a lung illness (probably tuberculosis).

                        In 1877, Morse graduated from Boston Latin School, the oldest public high school in the country. He then followed his uncle Godfrey's footsteps by attending Harvard College as a member of the Class of 1881. Although he is often referred to as having graduated from Harvard in 1881, Morse actually left school in January of his senior year due to health reasons; he received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1906. Morse attended law school at Boston University, graduated in 1884, and was admitted to the bar as a lawyer in 1885.

                        Morse, though, was not destined for a life as an attorney, but rather as a journalist. During his three years at Boston University, Morse wrote articles for several Boston newspapers, including the Globe, Herald, and Post. When the Union Association was organized in 1884 as a third major league to compete with the National League and American Association, Morse edited the Union Association Guide published by Wright and Ditson, a sporting goods manufacturer.
                        With his family's strong ties to the Democratic Party and the welfare of common people, Morse was naturally a follower of the Union Association. The league was established as a player's league, in protest of the reserve clause being enforced by owners in the other two major leagues. Morse likely contributed reports to the Boston newspapers about the games played by the Union Association team in Boston, where he struck up a friendship with its first baseman Tim Murnane, who doubled as the team's field manager. While Murnane is now recognized as being the manager of the Boston Unions for the entire 1884 season, earlier editions of baseball encyclopedias had credited Morse with managing the team for seventy-five games during the latter part of the season.

                        When the Union Association folded after its one and only season, Morse took a full-time job in 1885 as sports editor for the Boston Herald, a position he held for twenty years. Morse provided baseball coverage of the Boston team in the National League and the various Massachusetts teams in the New England League, along with game accounts of local colleges and amateur teams.

                        Morse wrote a book, Sphere and Ash: History of Baseball, published in 1888, the same year his father died. Morse's father, who suffered from a lung disease, died in Denver, Colorado, where he had moved hoping the climate there would cure his illness. Upon his father's death, Morse became head of the household for his younger siblings.

                        Looking to supplement his income from sports writing for the Herald, Morse started to contribute articles to Sporting Life. In 1892, Morse joined up with Murnane, now working as sports editor of the Boston Globe, to be the administrative staff for the New England League. With Morse as secretary and Murnane as president, the two men tried to keep the club owners afloat financially, after a number of league failures the previous several years, and to provide opportunity for local ball players.

                        Feeling comfortable enough financially to settle down and raise a family, Morse married Josephine Gans on March 15, 1893. Josephine was the daughter of well-known Jewish philanthropist Louis Gans, who had made his money in the cigar business. Wedding presents included "a magnificent banquet lamp of hammered brass" from the owners of the Boston National League team and "the Century dictionary in half a dozen volumes" from his associates at the Herald. Residing in his father-in-law's house in Brookline, Morse and his wife raised two sons, Charles and Reginald.

                        Following his uncles' lead, Morse devoted a great of his time to charitable and civic affairs. He was a trustee of the Leopold Morse Home and organized many fund-raising events, including several under the auspices of the Boston Press Club. He was also involved in local governmental affairs in Brookline.

                        After three years as secretary of the New England League, Morse struck out on his own to become president of the New England Association, another minor league in the region. The New England Association operated on a small scale centering on cities in the Merrimack River valley of Massachusetts, in contrast to the New England League that at the time had a broader geographic focus, with half its teams in Maine and the other half in southern Massachusetts.

                        When the New England Association lasted less than three months, Morse returned to the New England League as secretary for the 1896 season. Trying to keep the league in business wasn't easy. There was a disputed pennant in 1897 between the Brockton and Newport teams, a war-shortened 1898 season, and a chaotic final day of the 1899 season when Manchester played a sextuple-header, six games in one day, in a quest for a first place finish (while two other teams played only a tripleheader). The league went into abeyance for the 1900 season.

                        In his primary job at the Boston Herald, Morse was at the forefront of change in the sports world, covering the increasing popularity of college football in the fall and the rise of a new winter sport, basketball. As the New England Basketball League organized in the fall of 1900 to play over the winter of 1901, another development would completely change the Boston sporting landscape--the upstart American League putting a franchise in Boston. The Boston Americans, challenger for spectator support to the established Boston team in the National League, quickly captured the attention of sports writers and the citizenry of Boston by winning pennants in 1903 and 1904.

                        The New England League revived in 1901 and entered a period of stability under the leadership of Murnane and Morse, as "President Murnane's tact and Secretary Morse's executive ability proved a double asset to the New England organization."

                        In 1907, management changes at the Boston Herald resulted in the ouster of Morse from the paper. In October 1906, William Haskell had acquired a controlling interest in the paper's stock, which had once been the exclusive domain of his father Edwin Haskell, who as editor had hired Morse back in 1885. Once the elder Haskell died in March 1907, Morse was asked to leave the newspaper.

                        "After a connection of twenty-three years with the Boston Herald, I naturally expected to die in the harness in that institution, but one can never tell," Morse reported to his Harvard classmates in 1931 upon the fiftieth anniversary of the Class of 1881. "The unexpected will happen every now and then, and changes in management bring about changes in personnel; so it was a case of pull up your stakes and go [at] it."

                        Morse's misfortune at losing his job turned out to be a fortunate turn of events for baseball fans (and present-day historians). Needing to augment his small stipends as New England League secretary and Sporting Life contributor, Morse once again struck out on his own, this time to start up a new publication called Baseball Magazine. The inaugural issue was dated May 1908, edited by Morse in the magazine's Boston office, and reached newsstands in time for the start of the 1908 baseball season.

                        A monthly baseball publication was unique for the times. The monthly format permitted lengthy examination of baseball issues which the weekly Sporting Life and its competitor The Sporting News didn't often pursue with their focus on on-the-field results. "Baseball has never had a magazine of its own, while almost every other sport has a high class publication," Morse wrote in the first issue. "So, the Baseball Magazine is supplying a long-felt need; in substance, the need of a monthly organ filled with the highest thought surrounding the game, well edited, well printed, and filled with first-class illustrations."

                        Morse had a distinct editorial focus on the Sunday baseball issue, something then prohibited in all East Coast cities such as Boston and New York but permitted in western cities such as Chicago and St. Louis. The lack of Sunday baseball in the East denied working people an opportunity to watch baseball games, since the six-day work week was still in vogue. On the one day off from work that most people had--Sunday--the law precluded ball games played by professionals. Morse published numerous essays supporting acceptance of Sunday baseball, including one by his rabbi, Charles Fleischer.

                        While Baseball Magazine was a literary hit, it wasn't overly profitable, lacking a wide audience for Morse's upscale editorial agenda. Morse's income from the Baseball Magazine venture must have been thin. Morse took a job in 1910 as a clerk at the Field and Fay brokerage, ostensibly to pay the bills while he labored on Baseball Magazine during the evening hours.

                        In late 1910, less than three years after the founding of the magazine, Joseph Potts replaced Morse as president of Baseball Magazine. Morse remained as editor for a time, but the December 1911 issue was the last one he edited. F.C. Lane, who had joined the publication as associate editor for the July 1911 issue, became the editor of Baseball Magazine effective with the January 1912 issue. Lane relocated the magazine's office to New York City and expanded the editorial content to "outdoor sports" such as football and ice hockey, and published more mainstream articles that appealed to a broader readership.

                        The 1912 season was Morse's last year as secretary of the New England League. In late 1912, he tried to organize a new minor league, the Northeastern League, becoming its president, but the league never got off the ground. Morse then resigned as secretary of the New England League in March 1913, under the guise of "demands of his private business." It was later revealed that he hadn't been paid for his services in more than a year.

                        It was a sour ending for Morse to an illustrious baseball writing career. After he dropped from the baseball scene in 1913, Morse tried to enter public service by attempting an election run in 1915 as state auditor on the Democratic ticket. He also dabbled in several ways to make a living outside of baseball. He ran a car dealership for a while before embarking on a career as an insurance salesman around 1921.

                        "I had nearly attained the sixtieth milestone before I was thrown into the insurance plan," Morse wrote of his insurance career. "A friend of mine, who had met with plenty of reverses in business, urged me to follow his example and make the plunge. It took me a year to make up my mind it was the psychological thing to do, but better late than sorry. So I joined the J.D.E. Jones general agency of The Equitable Life Society of the United States."

                        In the last years of his life, Morse returned once again to sports writing, working for the Boston Traveler newspaper. Morse died on April 12, 1937 at age 76, at his home in Brookline, Massachusetts, having suffered a heart attack a few weeks earlier. He was buried in Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

                        "To the generation of today, the name of Jacob C. Morse meant little," the Traveler wrote in its obituary of Morse. "His name is not inscribed in baseball's record book nor is there any tangible monument to him in the pastime. Only in the record-book of the heart is he inscribed, in the hearts of baseball's old timers and those young men who had the fortune to know him."

                        Now, the SABR BioProject has finally inscribed the name of Jacob C. Morse in baseball history, through the Internet.

                        Baseball Magazine, 1908-1912
                        Boston Globe. "Morse--Gans; Marriage of Popular Newspaper Man to the Daughter of a Well-Known Merchant," March 16, 1893.
                        Boston Herald. "Rites Tomorrow for Jacob Morse," April 13, 1937.
                        Harvard University Archives. Alumni biographical file of Jacob Morse and Class of 1881 anniversary reports published in 1906 and 1931.
                        Lowell Courier-Citizen. "Jake Morse Resigns Secretaryship of the New England League," March 8, 1913.
                        Sporting Life. "Jacob C. Morse, Boston Correspondent of 'Sporting Life' For 15 Years," March 14, 1908.
                        U.S. census records, 1870, 1880, 1910, 1920.

                        Sphere and Ash, 1888

                        New York Times' obituary,-------------Sporting News' obituary----------------------Baseball Magazine, November, 1909
                        April 13, 1937, pp. 8.---------------------April 22, 1937, pp. 25.

                        ----------------------------------------------------------------Spalding Official Base Ball Guide, 1938

                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-03-2014, 08:15 AM.


                        • Charles Henry Zuber

                          Born: November 15, 1872, Newport, KY
                          Died: October 15, 1938, Newport, KY, age 65

                          Cincinnati sports writer;
                          Newport, KY, 7-year old, (June 12, 1880 census)
                          Cincinnati, OH, news-dealer, Railroad, (April 16, 1910 census)
                          Cincinnati, OH, advertising, general PR, (January 15, 1920 census)
                          Newport, KY, Publicity Director, Theaters, (April 10, 1930 census)

                          Father: John A., born (Baden) Germany, 1837?; Mother: Katherina E., born (Bavaria) Germany, 1839?; Wife: Florence, born Missouri, 1874?; Son: Lytle, born Ohio, 1901?; Daughter: Natalie, born Ohio, 1904?;

                          Cincinnati Times-Star sports editor (started as general utility boy, moved up to stock market reporter, then regular reporter in September, 1892 - March, 1910.

                          Left to become theater press agent, advance agent for George Thatcher. Returned to Times-Star in January, 1894, was made sports editor, in March, 1895, succeeding Ren J. Mulford, Jr.
                          Shortly before the WW, he left the newspaper field & PR for Chamber of Commerce, Cincinnati Reds, & several theaters. After Charles was dismissed by Cincinnati owner Taft in March, 1910, he worked as press agent for the Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce, Cincinnati Reds, & some theaters. Did publicity for Orphanance Corps during war. His last few years, he conducted a column, "Curtains Down," in the Cincinnati Enquirer, where he traced the history of the early theater in Cincinnati. Baseball club, theaters and other institutions, off & on until his death. Never wrote baseball again.

                          Sporting News' obituary, October 27, 1938, pp. 3.
                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-02-2014, 11:40 AM.


                          • Robert W. Curtis

                            Born: August 15, 1866, Owego, NY
                            Died: February 21, 1939, Little Neck (Queens), NY, age 72,---d. following a stroke.

                            New York sports writer;
                            Owego, NY, 4-year old, (June 25, 1870 census)
                            Owego, NY, 13-year old, (June 21, 1880 census)
                            Bronx, NY, salesman, shoes, (June 8, 1900 census)
                            Bronx, NY, journalist, newspaper, (April 25, 1910 census)
                            Bronx, NY, editor, (January 2, 1920 census)
                            Bronx, NY, editor, newspaper, (1930 census)
                            Arrived New York, 1889
                            New York Sun, 1889 - 1895
                            New York Recorder, 1895 - 1901
                            New York Herald associate sports editor, 1901 - 1920
                            New York Times' day assistant to sports editor, March 5, 1922 - 1939

                            Father: Allen, born Massachusetts, 1815?; Mother: Mary C., born New York, 1836?; Wife: Bertha D., born Pennsylvania, February, 1874;

                            -------------------------------------------------------------------1940 Baseball Guide

                            New York Herald-Tribune obituary, February 22, 1939, -----------------------------------------Sporting News' obituary,
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------March 2, 1939, pp. 2, column 2.
                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM.


                            • Julius Edgar Grillo---AKA J. Ed Grillo

                              Born: July, 1873, Germany
                              Died: May 26, 1920, Washington DC, age 49,---d. St. Elizabeth's Hospital, (Washington, DC), after 4 years battle against softening of the brain.

                              Cincinnati / Washington sports writer;
                              Dtroit, MI, 6-year old, (June 2, 1880 census)
                              Norwood, OH, editor, (June 13, 1900 census)
                              Washington, DC, Sporting Editor, Newspaper, (April 19, 1910 census)
                              District of Columbia, patient, St. Elizabeth's Hospital, (January 20, 1920 census)
                              Cincinnati Commercial Gazette sports writer, 1890's
                              President of American Association, (Western League, January 1, 1904 - March, 1905)
                              President Toledo Baseball club, 1905 - 1906
                              Washington Post,
                              Washington Star, 1910? - 1917
                              Naturalized in 1878

                              Father: Friedrich Ferdinand Ernst Emil Grillo, born Germany, 1842?; Mother: Aurelia Strunk, born Germany, 1849?; Wife: Blache F., born Ohio, February, 1875; Julius married around 1896; Daughter: Adelaide A., born Ohio, June, 1898; Son: Jack J., born Ohio, 1903?; Son: Maurice William, born District of Columbia, 1910?;

                              Sporting News' obituary,
                              J. Ed Grillo, for many years actively connected with Organized Baseball as organizer, magnate and writer, died last week in Washington, D. C. after a long illness. He became interested in Baseball as sporting editor of a Cincinnati newspaper in the '90's. In 1904, when the American Association was reorganized after the general baseball war, he was selected as its president and did much to assist in getting the game on its feet again. For the next two years he was president of the Toledo Club of the association. Then he returned to the writing game, from which he retired three years ago because of ill health.

                              ------------------------------------------------------------------1921 Baseball Guide
                              Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM.


                              • Elmer Ellsworth Bates

                                Born: May 22, 1860, Madison, OH
                                Died: February 18, 1930, Madison, OH, age 69,---d. at home.

                                Cleveland sports writer;
                                Madison, OH, 10-year old, (June 3, 1870 census)
                                Madison, OH, 20-year old, (June 3, 1880 census)
                                Cleveland, OH, Sporting editor, Press, (June 5, 1900 census)
                                Cleveland, OH, Sporting editor, newspaper, (April 23, 1910 census)

                                Started on Painesville Telegraph, 1880 - ?
                                Sporting Life correspondent, 1897
                                Cleveland Press sports editor, (20 years)
                                also wrote column "Little Old Man", loved for it's intimate feel.
                                Also Cleveland Leader, 1910? -1911?
                                Cleveland World,
                                Cleveland Herald,
                                Cleveland News.
                                Founded Madison News, 1918 - 1927
                                Lake County Republican Herald associate editor, 1927 - 1930, death
                                He espoused writing brevity, accuracy and warmth. He called many famous people friend.
                                Graduated Madison Seminary, Madison Kiwanis secretary many yrs.

                                Father: John D., born New York, 1833?; Mother: Mary J., born New York, 1832?; Wife: Laura M., born Illinois, 1874?;

                                Painesville Telegraph Obituary-------------------------------------------------------------Painesville Telegraph Obituary
                                Wednesday, February 19, 1930, pp. 1------------------------------------------------------Thursday, February 20, 1930, pp. 4.

                                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-02-2014, 09:59 AM.


                                Ad Widget