Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank Aaron thread.

From ESPN.com

Alphabetically and arithmetically, what could be finer than having "Aaron, Hank" as the first name listed in The Baseball Encyclopedia? The book's leadoff man is better recognized as the cleanup hitter who holds the Cadillac of baseball records: His 755 home runs are the most by a major leaguer.

Hank Aaron saw his name bypass Babe Ruth's on this April 8, 1974 swing of the bat.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaron also hammered his way into the record book for knocking in the most runs (2,297), total bases (6,856) and extra-base hits (1,477). He ranks second in at-bats (12,364), tied for second with Babe Ruth in runs (2,174), and third in hits (3,771) and games played (3,298). He is the only player to hit at least 30 homers in 15 seasons and at least 20 homers in 20 seasons. He hit at least 40 homers eight times, with a career-best of 47. He is the first player to reach 3,000 hits and 500 homers. He led the National League in homers and RBI four times each and played in 24 All-Star Games.

A lifetime .305 hitter, Aaron did most his damage for the Braves, first in Milwaukee (1954-65), then in Atlanta (1966-74), before finishing his 23-year career with the Milwaukee Brewers (1975-76).

"The thing I like about baseball is that it's one-on-one," Aaron said. "You stand up there alone, and if you make a mistake, it's your mistake. If you hit a home run, it's your home run."

Aaron's crowning moment was, of course, a home run. It came when he surpassed what had seemed like an unbreakable record only a decade earlier. That was the night in 1974 he walloped No. 715 and trotted around the bases past the Babe and into history.

While Aaron had the numbers, he didn't have much fan appeal. He was considered hard working, humble and shy, just as Joe DiMaggio was. But while those qualities made DiMaggio a hero, they made Aaron an enigma. Aaron was often overlooked as one of the game's greats until he took off on his chase of the Bambino. Racism had something to do with it, as well as his playing in the Atlanta and Milwaukee markets.

Aaron was born Feb. 5, 1934, in a part of Mobile, Ala., called Down The Bay, a poor area of town populated mostly by blacks. The family moved to a better area of Mobile called Toulminville, where he was raised. In high school, Aaron played shortstop and third base and was an outstanding hitter though he batted cross-handed.

ZONE POLL

In 1952, he quit high school and joined the Indianapolis Clowns of the Negro American League. After a brief stay as their shortstop, he was sold in June for 10,000 dollars to the Braves, who beat out the Giants. (can you imagine an outfield with Mays and Aaron?). That summer, he was the Northern League's Rookie of the Year for Eau Claire,Wis., despite playing only 87 games. In 1953, Aaron was one of the first five black players in the South Atlantic League. He moved from shortstop to second base, but it didn't affect his hitting. Though faced with the racism of the south, he sparked Jacksonville to the Sally League pennant by leading the league in batting (.362), RBI (125), runs (115) and hits (208). He was voted the league's MVP. "Henry Aaron led the league in everything except hotel accommodations," one writer said.

At spring training the next year, it didn't look like the 20-year-old Aaron would make the Braves. But then Bobby Thomson (yes, the Bobby Thomson of Ralph Branca fame) suffered a broken ankle sliding into second. The Braves needed an outfielder to replace Thomson, and the 6-foot, 160-pound Aaron won the competition, taking over as the regular left fielder.

He hit his first home run on April 23, 1954 off of the Cardinals' Vic Raschi. In 122 games, he batted .280 (he wouldn't hit that low again until 1966) with 13 homers (he wouldn't go below 20 for the next 20 years) before suffering a broken ankle on Sept. 5.

In 1955, Aaron moved to right field, where he remained for most of his career (and won three Gold Gloves). He batted .314 with 27 homers and 106 RBI. This was just the start. The next season, he won his first of two National League batting titles with a .328 average. (In 1959, he won the crown with a career-best .355.)

Two changes were made in 1957. Aaron went from second in the batting order to fourth, behind Eddie Mathews instead of in front of him, and he switched from a 36-ounce bat to a 34-ounce model. Aaron responded by leading the league with 44 homers (one of four times he would hit his uniform number) and a career-high 132 RBI while batting .322.

When Aaron drilled a pitch from the Cardinals' Billy Muffett for a two-run homer in the 11th inning of a game in late September, it clinched the Braves' first pennant in Milwaukee and Aaron was carried off the field by his teammates. Aaron, 23, won his lone MVP that year.

Milwaukee registered its only World Series behind right-handed pitcher Lew Burdette, who defeated the Yankees three times. Aaron did his part by hitting .393 with three homers and seven RBI.

Aaron (.326, 30 homers, 95 RBI) led the Braves to another pennant in 1958, but this time the Braves lost a seven-game Series to the Yankees. As the years went on, so did the homers. While the 6 foot Aaron would fill out -- he would reach 190 pounds -- he never was a heavy man. The key to his hitting seemed to be his supple, powerful wrists that allowed him to crack his bat like a buggy whip.

The chase to beat the Babe heated up in the summer of 1973. So did the mail. Aaron needed a secretary to sort it as he received more than an estimated 3,000 letters a day, more than any American outside of politics. Unfortunately, racists did much of the writing. A sampling:

"Dear ****** Henry,
    You are (not) going to break this record established by the great Babe Ruth if I can help it. ... Whites are far more superior than jungle bunnies. . My gun is watching your every black move."

"Dear Henry Aaron,
    How about some sickle cell anemia, Hank?"

The letters came from every state, but most were postmarked in northern cities. They were filled with hate. More hate than Aaron had ever imagined. "This," Aaron said later about the letters, "changed me."

The summer of '73 ended with Hammering Hank at 713 homers after hitting a remarkable 40 in just 392 at-bats. He was 39.

In his first at-bat in 1974, Aaron homered off Cincinnati's Jack Billingham, tying Ruth. His eyes got teary as he rounded third base. That night he called his mother. "I'm going to save the next one for you, Mom," he said.

On April 8, 1974, the largest crowd in Braves history (53,775) came out to witness history. Aaron didn't disappoint. In the fourth inning, he ripped an Al Downing pitch into the Braves bullpen, where it was caught by reliever Tom House. As Aaron rounded second base, two college students appeared and ran alongside him before security stepped in. The new home run king was mobbed at home by his teammates.

A quarter of a century later, Aaron still has the record -- and the hate mail. "I read the letters," he said, "because they remind me not to be surprised or hurt. They remind me what people are really like."

After retiring as a player, Aaron became one of the first blacks in Major League Baseball upper-level management as Atlanta's vice president of player development. Since Dec. 1989, he has served as senior vice president and assistant to the president, but he is more active for Turner Broadcasting as a corporate vice president of community relations and a member of TBS' board of directors. He also is vice president of business development for The Airport Network.

"As far as I'm concerned, (Hank) Aaron is the best ball player of my era. He is to baseball of the last fifteen years what Joe DiMaggio was before him. He's never received the credit he's due." - Mickey Mantle

"I don't know where Hank Aaron will break (Babe) Ruth's record but I can tell you one thing - ten years from the day he hits it three million people will say they were there. - Eddie Mathews

"When Henry (Aaron) came up, I heard fans yell, 'Hit that ******. Hit that ******.' Henry hit the ball up against the clock. The next time he came up, the said 'Walk him, walk him." - Herb Aaron (Aaron's Father)

It's a shame Aaron had to overcome racism, but nonetheless, he did.

If you ask me, Hank Aaron is the most underrated baseball player in history. When you think Hank Aaron. You think: Homerun King, or Racism Victim. Both of these I would think of him most. However, he also leads all with runs driven in, and only two more people have more base hits. AND- besides Stan Musial, he's the only person with 400 homers, 3500 hits. One of four with 500 HR/3000 hits. 1 of 1 people with 500 homers, 3500 hits. And so on and so fourth. He carried the Braves to their only championship in Milwaukee, and deservedly won the 1957 NL MVP. I think the main reason he is wearing an "A" and not an "M" in the HOF is because that's where he broke the record. Did you know: The Braves wanted him to break the record in Atlanta, however, comissioner Bowie Kuhn said he had to play 2 of the 3 games in Cincinnatti. He tied the record off of Jack Billingham. But, he broke the record against Al Downing and the Dodgers. And, for an old man and for a decline, he hit ten homeruns in just 85 games for the Brewers in his final season in 1976. Possibly the most successful decline ever. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1982, and sadly, Barry Bonds will likely break his homerun record. But Aaron was a great player. Including pitchers, I rank him #4. Postional Ajustment freaks will likely disagree, but I don't use Position Ajustment to judge a player.
    I rank Hank Aaron #1-10 (position players only)
    61.11%
    I rank Hank Aaron #1-10 (including pitchers).
    44.44%
    Discounting pitchers, I have Hank Aaron past my top ten.
    5.56%
    Including pitchers, I have Hank Aaron past my top ten.
    12.96%
    I rank Hank Aaron 11-20 all time.
    12.96%
    I rank Hank Aaron 21-30 all time.
    0%
    I have Aaron past 30.
    1.85%
    I think of Hank Aaron as more than a player.
    48.15%
    I think of Aaron as mainly a player
    27.78%
    I was alive when Hank Aaron broke the record.
    42.59%
    I was not alive when Hank Aaron broke the record.
    29.63%
    I consider Hank Aaron an all time historic player
    79.63%
    I do not consider Hank Aaron an all time historic player
    1.85%
    I think Ty Cobb would've went nuts if he saw Aaron break the record.
    31.48%

Not to mention his 6856 total bases ranks first all time. Aaron is the absolute model of consistency and longevity. I think Aaron gets underrated in some circles because he continually put up great numbers, yet didn't have the kind of mind-bending peak that, say, Mickey Mantle had. What is Hank Aaron's best year? It's tricky to identify.
    Aaron's single season best in hits is 223, which ranks 67th all time. He's third best career wise. The leading RBI man in baseball topped out at 132 for a season, which doesn't crack the top 100. His 2174 runs ranks third, but his season best 127 isn't really close to the top 100. Aaron's most famous record, 755, has a season best of 47. That ranks 69th on the single season leaderboards. And finally, his best in total bases is 400, in which he does a little better, ranking 29th.
    These season bests are affected by Aaron's playing in a depressed era for offense, as that often happens to counting stats in those eras. But he was constantly great, constantly among the top ten in the leaderboards. A glance at his Baseball Reference page shows that. Black Ink and Gray Ink show him to be very productive in those areas, ranking 8th and 2nd, respectively, and even that doesn't do him justice, as he was a leader or among them in other important categories not accounted for in those measures.
    Most systems of ranking players try to achieve a balance between peak, career value, and production rate. Aaron is great on all of them, but he falls behind some players because he lacks the kind of peak a Williams or Mantle had. I would argue that it is necessary to include a method in which consistent excellence, like the kind Aaron displayed throughout his career, is rewarded, in order to get a better grasp of a player's greatness or value.

I picked up a copy of Hank Aaron and the Home Run That Changed America by Tom Stanton. Got it at a discount. Right now, I'm trying to read as many of the baseball books at the school library as I can, but I'll get around to it soon enough.
    "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Originally posted by AstrosFan
      And finally, his best in total bases is 400, in which he does a little better, ranking 29th.
      400 is extremely impressive but total bases is one of those AB dependent numbers. Aaron had 629 that year.

The only player with at least 400 TB who had less than 550 AB is Ruth, who did it twice (540 with 457 in '21 and 540 with 417 in '27).

The only other players to have at least 400 TB with less than 575 AB are:

Walker - 568 AB/409 TB
      Foxx - 573 AB/403 TB

Neither walked 100 times in those years and both were helped greatly by home parks.
      "By common consent, Ruth was the hardest hitter of history; a fine fielder, if not a finished one; an inspired base runner, seeming to do the right thing without thinking. He had the most perfect co-ordination of any human animal I ever knew." - Hugh Fullerton, 1936 (Chicago sports writer, 1893-1930's)

ROY / ERA+ Title / Cy Young / WS MVP / HR Title / Gold Glove / Comeback POY / BA Title / MVP / All Star / HOF

Comment

If you enjoy this photo gallery, you might also like our other ones, too.

Historical, Archival Photographs---Pre-1900---Negro L.---Vintage Panoramic Pictures---Members' Gallery---Runningshoes Presents: Photo Op---Meet The Sports Writers

Photos of the following individual players---Hank Aaron---Pete Alexander---Ty Cobb---Eddie Collins---Sam Crawford---Jimmy Foxx---Lou Gehrig---Rickey Henderson---Rogers Hornsby---Joe Jackson---Walter Johnson---Nap Lajoie---Connie Mack---John McGraw---Mickey Mantle---Christy Mathewson---Willie Mays---Mel Ott---Babe Ruth---George Sisler---Tris Speaker---Pie Traynor---Rube Waddell--- Honus Wagner---Ted Williams---Zack Wheat---Rare Ty Cobb ---Rare Babe Ruth---Bill's Babe Ruth---Rare Ted Williams---Bill's Rare Finds ---Babefan's Fantastic Vintage Baseball photos---GaryL's Boston Public Library Baseball Photo Project

We also have some very nice, attractive team photo collections---New York Yankees---New York Giants---Detroit Tigers---Pittsburgh Pirates---Brooklyn Dodgers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Hank's Relative Stats:

-----------Rel. BA.-------Rel.On-base-------Rel. SLG.------------OPS+-------ISO+[/B]
        --------1.16.0 (51st)------114.6 (83rd)-----140.6 (15th)------155 (t 22nd)---187 (22nd)

Hank's Home/Away Breakdown splits:

Home/Away--BA----Slg.----onbase---HR-----D-----T------RBI------AB------BB[/B]
        Home:-----.303----556-----.382-----385---282----37----1,117-----5,972----746
        Away:-----.306---.553-----.372------370---342----61---1,118-----6,392----656
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Hitting Stats:

Aaron, Cobb, Wagner, Hornsby, Ruth, Gehrig, T. Williams, Mantle, Mays, DiMaggio, Speaker, Lajoie, Musial, Collins, Crawford, J. Jackson, Wheat, Roush, Foxx, Clemente, Schmidt, Yaz, Anson, Bonds, B. Williams, Kiner, Killebrew, Rose, Gwynn, Kaline, Greenberg, Waner, R. Jackson, Boggs, Gehringer, Brouthers, Delahanty, Simmons, Mize, Brett, F. Robinson, Ashburn, Sisler, Snider, Banks, Molitor, Keeler, Bench, Terry, Henderson.

Code:
        Hank Aaron----BA--Hits-2B--3B--HR---Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        Led league-----2---2----4---0---4----3----4---8---0---4---0---0--3
        2nd in league--0---3----2---2---4----1----0---2---2---5---1---1--4
        3rd------------0---1----1---0---1----4----2---2---3---4---0---2--4
        4th------------3---0----1---2---2----2----2---2---1---1---2---2--1
        5th------------4---0----0---0---2----1----1---0---2---1---0---0--1
        6th------------0---3----1---0---2----1----1---1---1---2---2---0--2

Cobb--------BA--Hits-2B---3B---HR---R--RBI-TB---OBA--SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league--12---8----3----4----1---5---4---6----7----8----6---0--11
        2nd-league---3---3----4----4----2---2---2---2----7----3----1---1---3
        3rd----------1---3----4----2----2---2---1---2----0----3----2---0---1 
        4th----------2---0----0----1----0---1---0---1----0----1----3---1---1
        5th----------1---0----0----1----0---2---1---0----1----0----0---1---0
        6th----------2---0----2----0----0---0---0---0----0----0----0---0---0

Wagner-------BA--Hits-2B---3B---HR---R--RBI--TB--OBA--SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league----8---2----7----3----0---2---5----7---4----6----5---0--6
        2nd league----2---2----1----3----1---2---2----1---1----3----0---0--2
        3rd-----------0---5----3----2----0---2---2----4---2----2----2---0--2
        4th-----------2---3----0----0----1---2---3----2---1----1----0---1--1
        5th-----------1---1----1----0----2---1---1----2---2----0----0---0--0
        6th-----------1---0----0----1----2---0---1----0---0----1----0---1--0

Hornsby-----BA---Hits-2B---3B--HR----R--RBI--TB---OBA--SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---8----4----4----2---2----5---4----7----9----9----0---3--12
        2nd league---2----1----1----1---2----1---1----2----1----1----0---1---1
        3rd----------1----1----1----1---3----0---2----0----1----1----0---0---0
        4th----------1----3----4----0---1----2---0----0----0----1----0---2---0
        5th----------0----0----0----0---5----0---0----0----0----1----0---0---0
        6th----------0----0----0----1---1----0---1----1----1----0----0---2---1

Ruth---------BA---Hits-2B---3B---HR---R--RBI--TB---OBA--SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league----1----0----1----0---12---8---6----6----9---13----0--11--13
        2nd league----2----0----1----0----2---1---2--- 3----2----1----0---1---1
        3rd-----------2----0----1----0----1---0---0----2----1----1----0---1---2
        4th-----------1----3----0----0----0---0---3----0----2----0----0---0---0
        5th-----------1----0----0----0----0---1---0----0----0----0----0---0---0
        6th-----------0----2----1----1----0---1---1----0----0----0----0---0---0

Gehrig------BA---Hits-2B---3B---HR--Runs--RBI--TB---OBA-SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        Led league---1----1----1----4----2----4----4----2----4----2---0---3--3
        2nd league---2----3----0----0----4----2----4----3----2----4---0---2--6
        3rd----------3----0----0----1----3----3----2----2----3----1---0---3--3
        4th----------0----1----0----0----1----2----2----0----0----3---0---0--0
        5th----------2----1----0----0----1----0----0----1----1----0---0---0--0
        6th----------1----0----1----0----1----0----0----1----0----0---0---1--0			

Ted Williams--BA---Hits-2B--3B--HR--Runs-RBI--TB--OBA--SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        Led league-----6----0----2---0---4---6----4----6---12---8---0---8--9
        2nd in league--2----1----2---0---4---1----2----0----0---1---0---1--1
        3rd------------1----2----0---0---2---1----1----4----0---1---0---2--3
        4th------------1----1----2---0---0---1----1----0----0---2---0---0--0
        5th------------0----4----0---0---0---0----1----0----0---0---0---1--0
        6th------------0----0----0---0---3---0----0----0----1---0---0---1--0

Mickey Mantle--BA---Hits-2B--3B--HR---Runs-RBI--TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        Led league------1----1----0---1---4----6----1----3---3---4---0---5--8
        2nd in league---1----0----1---0---3----2----3----4---5---0---0---3--3
        3rd-------------1----0----0---0---2----1----1----2---1---2---0---2--1
        4th-------------2----2----0---1---0----0----0----1---2---0---2---0--0	
        5th-------------0----0----0---0---1----0----2----0---0---0---0---0--0
        6th-------------0----0----0---1---0----1----3----0---1---1---0---1--0				

Willie Mays----BA---Hits-2B--3B---HR--Runs-RBI--TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        Led league------1----1----0---3----4---2----0----3---2---5---4---1--6
        2nd in league---3----1----1---1----1---5----2----5---1---3---0---1--1
        3rd-------------2----1----1---1----3---3----3----5---2---2---0---2--5
        4th-------------0----0----0---0----1---0----2----1---1---2---1---1--2
        5th-------------1----1----0---0----2---0----1----1---5---4---0---1--0
        6th-------------1----2----2---0----2---2----2----0---1---0---0---3--1	

Joe DiMaggio---BA--Hits-2B--3B--HR--Runs-RBI--TB--OBA--SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        Led league------2---0----0---1---2---1----2----3---0----2---0---0--1
        2nd in league---0---1----1---0---0---2----3----2---0----5---0---0--4
        3rd-------------2---1----0---4---1---0----3----1---2----0---0---0--2
        4th-------------0---2----1---0---5---0----1----1---3----0---0---0--0
        5th-------------0---0----0---0---2---2----1----2---0----0---0---0--1
        6th-------------0---1----1---0---1---1----1----0---0----1---0---0--0

Tris Speaker--BA--Hits-2B--3B--HR--Runs-RBI--TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        Led league-----1---2----8---0---1---0----0----1---4---1---0---0--1
        2nd in league--2---1----3---1---2---4----1----3---3---2---0---1--4
        3rd------------7---2----1---1---0---2----1----2---4---4---1---0--5	
        4th------------2---4----0---0---2---2----2----3---3---4---1---4--3
        5th------------1---2----0---0---0---0----0----1---1---2---3---2--3
        6th------------1---0----1---1---0---2----0----0---0---1---1---3--0

Nap Lajoie---BA--Hits-2B--3B--HR--Runs--RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        Led league----3---4----5---0---1----1----3---4---2---4---0---0--3
        2nd in league-3---0----4---1---0----1----1---2---2---3---0---0--3
        3rd-----------1---1----1---0---1----0----2---0---1---2---0---0--0
        4th-----------1---1----1---0---0----1----1---2---1---0---0---0--1
        5th-----------0---1----0---0---0----0----1---0---1---0---0---0--0
        6th-----------3---1----0---0---2----0----1---0---0---2---1---0--4

Stan Musial-BA--Hits-2B---3B--HR--Runs-RBI--TB--OBA-SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        Led league---7---6----8----5---0---5----2----6---6---6----0---1--6
        2nd league---2---3----3----1---1---4----0----2---7---3----0---0--4
        3rd----------5---2----1----1---1---4----3----1---0---0----0---2--0
        4th----------2---1----0----2---1---1----2----2---2---3----0---2--3
        5th----------1---0----0----1---1---1----2----2---0---1----0---2--0
        6th----------0---0----2----0---1---0----0----1---1---0----0---0--1

Ed Collins--BA--Hits-2B--3B---HR--Runs-RBI--TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        Led League---0---0----0---0----0---3----0---0----0---0---4---1--0
        2nd league---3---2----0---1----0---1----0---0----3---0---4---5--1
        3rd----------0---1----0---0----0---2----1---1----7---1---2---2--2
        4th----------5---1----1---0----0---2----0---0----2---0---2---2--2
        5th----------2---3----0---1----0---0----1---3----2---1---1---1--3
        6th----------1---1----0---2----0---1----0---1----1---2---1---1--0

Crawford----BA---Hits-2B--3B--HR---Runs-RBI--TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---0----0----1---6---2----1----3----2---0---0---0---0--0
        2nd league---4----5----4---3---2----1----4----6---0---4---0---0--2
        3rd----------1----4----0---3---2----0----2----2---0---3---0---0--4
        4th----------2----0----1---0---1----1----2----1---2---1---0---0--3
        5th----------0----2----0---0---3----2----1----2---2---2---0---0--0
        6th----------1----0----2---3---1----0----2----1---1---0---1---0--1

J.Jackson---BA---Hits-2B--3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA--SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---0----2----1---3---0---0----0---2---1----1----0---0--0
        2nd league---3----2----2---1---0---1----0---2---2----3----0---0--3
        3rd league---2----2----2---2---1---2----1---1---0----1----0---1--2
        4th----------2----2----0---1---0---1----4---1---3----2----0---0--1
        5th----------0----0----0---0---1---0----0---0---1----2----0---0--3
        6th----------0----0----0---0---0---1----0---0---0----0----1---0--0

Z. Wheat----BA---Hits-2B--3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB---OBA--SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---1----0----2---0---0---0----0---0----0----1----0---0--0
        2nd league---1----3----2---0---0---0----0---0----0----0----0---0--1
        3rd league---2----2----1---0---0---1----2---0----0----1----0---0--1
        4th----------2----0----0---0---1---0----0---0----2----2----0---0--1
        5th----------1----1----0---2---2---0----1---0----1----1----0---0--2
        6th----------0----0----0---1---2---1----2---0----0----0----0---0--1

Edd Roush--BA---Hits-2B--3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA--SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league--2----0----1---1---1---0----0---1---0----1----0---0--1
        2nd league--2----0----1---2---0---0----1---0---0----0----1---0--1
        3rd league--1----3----0---3---0---0----1---0---1----1----0---0--2
        4th---------1----1----0---1---1---0----0---1---1----1----1---0--1
        5th---------1----1----0---0---0---2----0---1---1----0----0---0--0
        6th---------0----1----0---0---0---0----1---2---1----1----1---0--1

J. Foxx-----BA---Hits-2B--3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG--SB--BB--OPS+
        led league---2-----0---0---0---4---1----3---3---3---5----0---2--5
        2nd league---2-----1---0---0---3---2----0---1---3---1----0---1--2
        3rd league---1-----2---0---0---2---1----3---0---3---2----0---3--0
        4th----------0-----0---0---0---3---2----2---3---0---1----0---4--3
        5th----------1-----0---0---0---0---1----0---1---2---2----0---0--1
        6th----------0-----0---0---0---0---1----2---1---0---1----0---0--0

Clemente----BA---Hits-2B--3B---HR--Runs-RBI--TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---4----2----0---1----0---0----0----0---0---0---0---0--0
        2nd league---2----1----1---1----0---0----2----1---1---0---0---0--1
        3rd league---1----1----0---2----0---0----0----1---0---1---0---0--1
        4th----------2----1----0---1----0---2----0----0---1---0---0---0--0
        5th----------1----1----1---4----0---0----0----1---0---1---0---0--0
        6th----------0----1----2---1----0---0----0----0---3---1---0---0--1

Schmidt-----BA---Hits-2B--3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---0----0----0---0---8---1----4---3---3---5----0---4--6
        2nd league---0----0----0---0---1---2----1---1---0---2----0---2--1
        3rd league---0----0----0---0---2---6----4---0---0---2----0---3--2
        4th----------1----0----0---0---1---0----0---1---3---3----0---3--1
        5th----------0----0----0---0---0---0----0---4---1---0----0---0--1
        6th----------0----0----0---0---1---1----0---0---0---0----0---1--0

Yaz----------BA---Hits-2B-3B--HR---Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league----3----2---3---0---1----3----1---2---5---3----0---2--4
        2nd league----2----0---1---0---0----1----0---0---1---0----0---3--1
        3rd league----0----0---2---1---1----1----1---0---1---0----0---1--0
        4th-----------0----2---0---0---1----1----0---2---0---1----0---1--0
        5th-----------0----1---0---0---0----1----1---0---0---0----0---2--0
        6th-----------0----1---1---0---0----0----0---2---0---0----0---0--1

Anson-------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR---Runs--RBI-TB--OBA--SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league--2----1----3--0---0-----0----8---1---4----0----0---1---1
        2nd league--5----4----2--1---0-----0----3---2---5----4----0---1---2
        3rd league--2----2----2--0---4-----0----3---2---1----1----0---1---1
        4th---------1----0----2--0---1-----2----0---2---1----3----0---2---3
        5th---------2----3----0--1---1-----2----0---0---2----1----0---0---3
        6th---------0----0----1--0---0-----4----0---3---3----0----0---2---1

Bonds------BA---Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA--SLG--SB--BB-OPS+
        led league--2----0----0--0---2---1----1---1---8----7----0--10---9
        2nd league--0----0----0--0---5---3----1---0---3----1----0---4---3
        3rd league--1----0----0--0---1---6----0---1---0----1----1---1---2
        4th---------1----0----0--0---4---0----4---0---2----3----1---0---0
        5th---------0----0----0--0---0---1----0---3---1----1----2---0---1
        6th---------0----0----0--2---0---3----2---1---0----1----2---0---0

B. Williams--BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league----1---1----0--0---0---1----0---3---0---1---0---0--1
        2nd league----0---0----1--1---2---0----3---1---1---0---0---0--0
        3rd league----0---3----3--1---3---0----0---1---0---2---0---0--1
        4th-----------2---0----1--0---1---1----0---1---0---1---0---0--0
        5th-----------0---1----0--1---0---2----0---1---0---0---0---0--0
        6th-----------0---1----0--0---1---0----0---0---0---1---0---1--0

Kiner-------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---0---0----0--0---7---1----1---1---1---3---0---3--0
        2nd league---0---0----0--0---0---0----3---2---0---0---0---3--0
        3rd league---0---0----0--0---0---1----1---0---2---1---0---0--0
        4th league---1---0----0--0---0---1----0---2---0---2---0---1--2
        5th----------1---0----0--0---1---1----1---0---0---0---0---0--0
        6th----------0---1----0--0---0---0----1---0---2---0---0---1--0

Killebrew---BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR---Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB--OPS+
        led league---0---0----0--0---6----0----3---0---1---1---0---4---0
        2nd league---0---0----0--0---2----1----2---2---1---3---0---1---1
        3rd league---0---0----0--0---2----1----2---4---2---4---0---3---2
        4th----------0---0----0--0---0----1----1---0---5---0---0---1---5
        5th----------1---0----0--0---2----0----0---2---2---2---0---1---2
        6th----------0---0----0--0---0----1----1---1---0---0---0---0---0

Rose--------BA-Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB--OPS+
        led league---3---7---5--0---0---4----0---0---1---0---0---0---0
        2nd league---2---5---2--2---0---3----0---1---1---0---0---0---0
        3rd league---0---1---4--0---0---3----0---1---3---0---0---0---0
        4th----------1---1---0--0---0---1----0---1---1---0---0---2---0
        5th----------1---2---2--2---0---1----0---1---1---0---0---2---0
        6th----------0---0---0--1---0---0----0---1---0---0---0---1---1

Gwynn------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR---Runs-RBI-TB---OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league--8---7----0--0---0----1----0---0----1---0---0---0--0
        2nd league--1---0----1--3---0----0----0---0----2---0---1---0--0
        3rd league--2---1----1--0---0----0----0---1----0---0---0---0--1
        4th---------1---0----1--0---0----1----0---0----1---0---0---0--1
        5th---------1---0----0--1---0----0----0---0----2---0---0---0--0
        6th---------0---0----0--0---0----0----1---0----0---0---1---0--1

Kaline-----BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs--RBI-TB---OBA-SLG-SB--BB--OPS+
        led league--1----1---1--0---0----0----0---1----0---1---0---0---1
        2nd league--3----1---1--0---0----1----2---1----3---1---0---0---2
        3rd league--2----1---1--0---0----0----0---0----2---1---0---0---1
        4th---------1----1---0--1---0----0----0---2----0---1---1---0---1
        5th---------0----0---2--1---0----1----1---0----2---1---0---1---0
        6th---------0----1---1--1---0----1----1---1----0---1---1---1---0

Greenberg---BA---Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---0----0----2--0---4----1---4---2---0---1---0---2--0
        2nd league---0----0----2--0---2----1---1---3---2---4---0---1--4
        3rd league---0----0----1--1---0----1---1---1---2---2---0---0--1
        4th----------0----1----0--0---0----1---1---0---0---0---0---0--2
        5th----------1----1----0--1---0----0---0---1---0---0---0---0--0
        6th----------1----1----0--0---0----0---0---0---0---0---0---3--0

Waner-------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB--OPS+
        led league---3---2----2--2---0---2----1---1---0---0---0---0---0
        2nd league---1---3----1--5---0---2----0---0---2---0---1---2---0
        3rd league---0---1----1--0---0---0----0---1---2---1---0---1---1
        4th----------3---1----2--1---0---1----0---2---1---2---0---1---4
        5th----------1---0----0--0---0---0----0---3---1---2---0---0---0
        6th----------0---2----1--0---0---1----0---1---2---0---0---0---1

R.Jackson----BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB--OPS+
        led league----0---0----0--0---4----2---1---0---0---3---0---0---4
        2nd league----0---0----3--0---3----0---0---3---0---2---0---1---1
        3rd league----0---0----0--0---1----1---1---0---0---1---0---0---0
        4th-----------0---0----0--0---1----0---1---1---1---0---0---1---1
        5th-----------0---0----1--0---2----2---0---0---1---2---0---1---1
        6th-----------0---0----0--0---0----0---3---0---2---1---0---0---1

Boggs--------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---5----1----2--0---0---2----0---0---6---0---0---1--1
        2nd league---1----5----3--0---0---0----0---0---1---0---0---0--2
        3rd league---2----0----2--0---0---1----0---0---1---1---0---3--0
        4th----------1----2----1--0---0---0----0---1---1---0---0---0--2
        5th----------2----0----0--0---0---1----0---1---0---0---0---2--0
        6th----------0----0----0--0---0---1----0---0---1---0---0---0--1

Gehringer---BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR---Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---1---2----2--1---0----2----0---0---0---0---1---0--0
        2nd league---1---2----2--1---0----1----0---0---2---0---1---0--0
        3rd league---0---0----1--1---0----3----0---0---0---0---0---1--0
        4th----------1---0----2--0---0----1----0---2---1---0---0---1--0
        5th----------2---3----0--1---0----2----1---0---1---0---0---2--0
        6th----------0---0----0--0---0----0----0---4---1---0---0---1--1

Brouthers----BA--Hits-2B--3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league----5---3----3---1---2----2---2---4---5---7---0---0--8
        2nd league----1---2----2---4---1----0---2---2---5---3---0---0--1
        3rd league----2---1----1---2---2----1---1---1---0---0---0---0--2
        4th-----------1---1----2---1---0----0---1---1---1---0---0---2--0
        5th-----------1---2----0---1---2----1---1---0---1---0---0---0--0
        6th-----------0---0----1---0---0----0---1---3---0---0---0---0--0

Delahanty----BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league----1---1----5--1---2---0----3---2---2---5---1---0--4
        2nd league----3---1----3--0---0---0----2---2---1---2---0---0--3
        3rd league----2---1----2--2---1---1----1---2---2---1---0---0--1
        4th-----------2---2----1--0---2---1----0---1---0---1---0---2--1
        5th-----------0---1----0--0---1---2----1---0---2---1---0---0--1
        6th-----------2---0----0--2---0---0----0---0---0---0---0---2--1

Mize---------BA-Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB--OPS+
        led league----1---0---1--1---4---1----3---3---0---4---0---0---2
        2nd league----2---0---1--0---2---1----1---4---2---3---0---0---5
        3rd league----0---3---1--2---1---2----3---0---1---2---0---2---2
        4th-----------0---0---0--0---1---0----0---0---1---0---0---0---0
        5th-----------3---1---0--1---1---1----1---0---2---0---0---1---0
        6th-----------0---2---0--0---0---1----0---0---0---0---0---1---0

Brett-------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB--OPS+
        led league---3---3----2--3---0----0---0---1---3---3---0---0---3
        2nd league---2---0----2--1---0----1---1---2---1---0---0---0---0
        3rd league---0---0----2--0---0----1---0---0---1---0---0---1---0
        4th----------0---0----1--1---0----1---0---1---1---1---0---0---0
        5th----------0---1----1--1---0----1---1---1---0---1---0---0---2
        6th----------2---0----0--2---0----0---1---0---1---2---0---0---0

F.Robinson---BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league----1---0----1--0---1----3---1---1---2---4---0---0--4
        2nd league----2---2----0--0---2----2---4---1---6---1---0---1--1
        3rd league----1---1----3--1---3----0---2---1---0---0---1---1--1
        4th-----------1---0----1--0---3----1---0---3---3---5---1---2--1
        5th-----------1---0----0--0---2----2---1---0---0---1---0---1--7
        6th-----------2---1----2--0---1----1---0---1---0---1---1---0--1

Ashburn-----BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB--OPS+
        led league---2---3----0--2---0---0----0---0---4---0---1---4---0
        2nd league---2---1----0--0---0---0----0---0---0---0---2---2---0
        3rd league---0---0----0--0---0---0----0---0---1---0---0---1---0
        4th----------0---0----1--1---0---1----0---0---1---0---1---0---0
        5th----------0---1----1--3---0---2----0---0---1---0---2---1---1
        6th----------2---3----0--0---0---2----0---0---0---0---2---1---0

Sisler-------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league----2---2----0--2---0---1----0---2---0---0---4---0--0
        2nd league----1---1----1--2---2---2----1---1---1---2---2---0--1
        3rd league----2---3----1--1---0---0----0---1---1---0---0---0--2
        4th-----------2---3----1--0---0---1----1---1---0---2---0---0--1
        5th-----------0---0----0--0---0---0----0---3---1---2---1---0--1
        6th-----------0---0----0--0---0---0----2---0---1---0---1---0--1

Snider------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB--OPS+
        led league---0----1---0--0---1----3---1---3---1---2---0---1---1
        2nd league---0----1---2--0---1----1---1---1---1---2---0---0---1
        3rd league---2----1---2--2---1----0---1---0---2---0---0---1---2
        4th----------1----0---0--0---1----1---1---0---0---1---0---1---0
        5th----------1----0---0--0---0----0---0---3---0---1---1---1---0
        6th----------0----0---0--0---1----1---1---0---0---1---1---1---1

Simmons-----BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---2---2----0--0---0----1---1---2---0---0---0---0--0
        2nd league---2---0----2--0---1----2---2---2---0---3---0---0--0
        3rd league---1---3----0--0---2----0---2---1---0---3---0---0--2
        4th----------3---3----0--0---1----0---1---1---0---0---0---0--1
        5th----------0---0----0--0---3----0---2---1---0---2---0---0--1
        6th----------0---0----0--1---1----0---1---0---1---0---0---0--1

Banks--------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league----0---0----0--0---2---0----2---1---0---1---0---0--0
        2nd league----0---0----0--1---2---2----0---1---0---1---0---0--1
        3rd league----0---0----0--0---2---0----2---3---0---0---0---0--0
        4th-----------0---1----1--0---1---0----1---0---0---1---0---0--1
        5th-----------0---0----1--1---0---0----1---0---0---2---0---0--2
        6th-----------1---0----0--0---1---0----1---1---0---0---0---0--0

Bench------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league--0---0----0--0---2---0----3---1---0---0---0---0--0
        2nd league--0---0----1--0---1---1----1---1---0---0---0---0--1
        3rd league--0---0----2--0---0---0----1---1---0---2---0---1--0
        4th---------0---0----0--0---1---0----0---0---0---2---0---0--0
        5th---------0---0----0--0---0---0----0---0---0---1---0---0--0
        6th---------0---0----1--0---0---0----0---0---0---0---0---0--0

Molitor-----BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league---0---3----1--1---0---3----0---0---0---0---0---0--0
        2nd league---2---1----0--1---0---1----0---0---1---0---0---0--0
        3rd league---1---2----0--0---0---0----0---0---0---0---1---0--1
        4th----------1---2----0--0---0---1----0---1---0---0---2---0--0
        5th----------2---1----0--0---0---0----0---0---0---1---0---0--0
        6th----------3---0----0--0---0---0----0---0---0---0---2---0--1

Terry--------BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league----1---1----0--1---0---1----0---0---0---0---0---0--0
        2nd league----3---3----0--0---0---1----0---2---0---0---0---0--0
        3rd league----0---1----1--1---1---0----1---0---0---1---0---0--0
        4th-----------2---1----0--2---1---0----0---2---1---0---0---0--2
        5th-----------0---0----1--1---0---0----2---0---2---1---0---0--1
        6th-----------1---0----0--0---0---2----1---0---0---0---0---0--0

Keeler-----BA---Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG-SB--BB-OPS+
        led league--2----3----0--0---0----1---0---0---0---0---0---0--0
        2nd league--2----5----0--0---0----5---0---1---1---1---0---0--1
        3rd league--1----1----0--0---0----1---0---1---2---0---0---0--0
        4th---------3----2----0--1---0----1---0---1---0---0---1---0--1
        5th---------1----1----0--0---0----1---0---1---0---0---1---0--0
        6th---------1----0----0--1---0----1---0---2---1---0---0---0--0

Henderson----BA--Hits-2B-3B--HR--Runs-RBI-TB--OBA-SLG--SB-BB--OPS+
        led league----0---1----0--0---0----5---0---0---1---0---12--4---1
        2nd league----1---0----0--1---0----1---0---0---2---1----0--2---1
        3rd league----0---0----0--0---0----1---0---0---6---0----0--1---0
        4th-----------2---0----0--0---0----3---0---0---1---0----2--5---0
        5th-----------0---0----0--0---0----1---0---0---2---0----1--0---0
        6th-----------0---0----0--0---1----0---0---1---1---0----2--1---
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        How Fever evaluated Hank as an All-Time RFer, in our 3 polls.
        Here are the results of our 1st. RF poll, conducted by leecemark, December 8, 2004, 07:48 PM

1) Babe Ruth 210
        2) Hank Aaron 189
        3) Frank Robinson 163
        4) Mel Ott 131
        5) Al Kaline 74
        6) Tony Gwynn 72
        7) Roberto Clemente 71
        8) Reggie Jackson 54
        9) Paul Waner 52
        10) Sam Crawford 49
        11) Harry Heilmann 30
        12) Pete Rose 12
        12) Ichiro Suzuki 12
        14) Dave Winfield 9
        14) Willie Keeler 9

--other vote getters; Chuck Klein, Tony Oliva, Roger Maris, Kiki Cuyler, Sam Rice, Sam Thompson, Dwight Evans and Sammy Sosa.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Here are the results of our 2nd. poll, conducted by 538280, December 27, 2005, 10:55 AM

We had 15 ballots submitted, and unsurprisingly, Babe Ruth was unanimously elected as our #1 RFer, with Hank Aaron also being a unanimous #2 choice. Frank Robinson and Mel Ott were the clear #3 and #4, but then after that things get really interesting. Here's everyone who received 12 or more points (first place votes in parenthesis):

1. Babe Ruth-180 (15)
        2. Hank Aaron-135
        3. Frank Robinson-115
        4. Mel Ott-99
        5. Tony Gwynn-53
        6. Sam Crawford-50
        7. Reggie Jackson-49
        8. Roberto Clemente-42
        9. Pete Rose-38
        10. Al Kaline-35
        11. Paul Waner-22
        12. Gary Sheffield-12
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Here are the results of our 3rd. poll, conducted by Bill Burgess, June 6, 2007, 05:46 PM

1. Babe Ruth - 159
        2. Hank Aaron - 145
        3. Frank Robinson - 124
        4. Mel Ott - 83
        5. Paul Waner - 79
        6. Reggie Jackson - 67
        7. Roberto Clemente - 55
        8. Tony Gwynn - 52
        9. Sam Crawford - 47
        10. Al Kaline - 41
        11. Pete Rose - 12.5
        12. Gary Sheffield - 12
        13. Harry Heilmann - 9
        13. Vladimir Guerrero - 9
        13. Dave Winfield - 9
        16. Ichiro Suzuki - 2.5
        17. Willie Keeler - 2
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Greatest Hitter series, conducted by Bill Burgess, ending November 4, 2007, 08:05 AM

1. Babe Ruth---------68 votes - 95.77%
        1. Ted Williams-------68 - 95.77%
        3. Ty Cobb-----------52 - 73.24%
        4. Rogers Hornsby----36 - 50.70%
        5. Lou Gehrig---------32 - 45.07%
        6. Barry Bonds
        7. Mickey Mantle
        8. Stan Musial
        9. Hank Aaron
        10. Willie Mays
        11. Jimmy Foxx
        12. Honus Wagner
        13. Frank Thomas
        14. Tris Speaker
        15. Frank Robinson
        16. Joe DiMaggio
        17. Joe Jackson
        18. Josh Gibson
        19. Nap Lajoie
        20. Mel Ott
        21. Oscar Charleston
        22. Alexander Rodriguez
        23. Dan Brouthers
        24. Mike Schmidt

-----Hank Aaron, Braves' RF, 1963, against the Cardinals, Tim McCarver catching-------------------1954-62-----BB Reference

-------------------As a rookie in 1954, Bradentown-----------------------------Hank missed this 1963 shot by Johnny Callison.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------The ball is visible at the top. Old college try.

Hank Aaron, Braves' RF, 1957---BB Reference

1957 WS, catching Gil McDougald's shot, County Stadium---Hank Aaron Thread

-----------------------------Braves' RF, 1957-65---------------------------------------------------------1957-65

Source: Source: 150 Years of Baseball, 1989, pp. 367.
        ----------------------------------Hank Aaron, Atlanta Braves' RF, 1968-71.

Source: Left: Sports Illustrated
        Source: Right: The Baseball Chronicles, by Larry Burke, 1990, pp. 96.

---------------------Spring Training, 1954-56 (Sports Illustrated)----------------------------------------------------1954-62

Braves' RF, 1957-65---------------------------------------------------------------1957-62---BB Reference

1957 Topps Baseball card----------------------------------1966-67[/B]
        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-02-2013, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I don't understand the part of the poll about Ty Cobb going nuts if he were alive to see Aaron break the record, outside of just an opportunity to slam Cobb. He didn't seem to go nuts when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier. Kind of ignorant to think he would have. If anything he would have been indifferent.

-------------------1966-67-------------------------------------1968-71-------------------------------------------------1968-71---BB Reference

----------------------------1963-65---------------------------------------April 1, (1954-62)

Some cool Hank baseball cards.

---------------------------1968-71----------------------------------------------------------------------1972-74

----------------------------------1966-67------------------------------------------------------------------1957 World Series

1954-62----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1963-67.

-------------------------1954-56----------------------------------------------------1957-62.

--------------------------------------------1972-75.
          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 06-01-2012, 07:31 PM.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

It was a joke because Cobb is racist.
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 05-16-2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
              400 is extremely impressive but total bases is one of those AB dependent numbers. Aaron had 629 that year.

The only player with at least 400 TB who had less than 550 AB is Ruth, who did it twice (540 with 457 in '21 and 540 with 417 in '27).

Walker - 568 AB/409 TB
              Foxx - 573 AB/403 TB

Neither walked 100 times in those years and both were helped greatly by home parks.
              Ruth's huge walk totals greatly lowered his ABs. In 1921 he had 693 plate appearances and in 1927 he had 691. Aaron had 693 plate appearances in 1959.
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                Ruth's huge walk totals greatly lowered his ABs. In 1921 he had 693 plate appearances and in 1927 he had 691. Aaron had 693 plate appearances in 1959.
                Hence the 210 point difference in SLG%
                Last edited by GiambiJuice; 03-06-2007, 12:09 AM.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I only brought up Aaron's career bests to show how low they rank compared to his rankings on the career lists. Let's not try to lessen Aaron's achievements as a hitter by comparing him to Ruth.
                  "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice
                    Hence the 210 point difference in SLG%
                    Sure, but we are not talking about slugging percentage. We are talking about TOTAL BASES.
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I only brought up Aaron's career bests to show how low they rank compared to his rankings on the career lists. Let's not try to lessen Aaron's achievements as a hitter by comparing him to Ruth.
                      Aaron's greatness lies in his incredible year-to-year consistency. He was never a 140 BB per year kind of hitter so he was never destined to have supper high OBPs and slug%. His career high was 92 BBs.

Comment

Where do you rank Henry Aaron? And I say "you" as in "all of BBF"

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                          Aaron's greatness lies in his incredible year-to-year consistency. He was never a 140 BB per year kind of hitter so he was never destined to have supper high OBPs and slug%. His career high was 92 BBs.
                          Really. I never thought of that.

Aaron is the absolute model of consistency. . .

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948

Walker - 568 AB/409 TB
                            Foxx - 573 AB/403 TB

I assume you're not counting Barroid Bonds, who had 411 TB in 476 AB in 2001.

- Alvin Dark

Comment

Really. I never thought of that.
                              Well, good for you...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X