2000 Legends of Baseball Commemorative Stamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Legends of Baseball Commemorative Stamps

In July 2000, Cardinal Hall of Famers Lou Brock and Ozzie Smith helped the US postal service unveil The Legends of Baseball commemorative stamps at Busch Stadium.

The stamps were illustrated by Joe Saffold of Savannah, Ga.

What do you like about them?

What do you not like about them?

Did they miss anyone?

Last edited by runningshoes; 01-16-2006, 06:39 AM.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Last edited by runningshoes; 01-16-2006, 06:44 AM.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Last edited by runningshoes; 01-16-2006, 06:43 AM.
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I've never seen these before. Just beautiful. However, I'm very surprised to see Warren Spahn, Sandy Koufax, and Pete Alexander omitted.

Southpaw Legacy

Comment

Originally posted by cjedmonton
            I've never seen these before. Just beautiful. However, I'm very surprised to see Warren Spahn, Sandy Koufax, and Pete Alexander omitted.
            Yes, oddly enough, Clemente is the only one there of what I would consider a modern era.
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by cjedmonton

Southpaw Legacy
              It is a pretty strict policy of the US Postal Service not to portray living people on stamps which would have exclude Spahn, at that time, and Koufax.

I also have an earlier set (probably early 90's) which only included Babe, Lou, Jackie, and Roberto. I'll try to track them down and scan it if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger
                It is a pretty strict policy of the US Postal Service not to portray living people on stamps which would have exclude Spahn, at that time, and Koufax.

I also have an earlier set (probably early 90's) which only included Babe, Lou, Jackie, and Roberto. I'll try to track them down and scan it if you are interested.
                Oh, so that's why. I was about to go on a long winded speech about how great baseball players have been playing for the last 50 years, and not all the greatest players played really long ago and all that. Why is it some seem to hold that belief?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger
                  I would love to see them.
                  Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                    Yes, oddly enough, Clemente is the only one there of what I would consider a modern era.
                    And what era would you consider Robinson to have played in?

Comment

Originally posted by shlevine42
                      And what era would you consider Robinson to have played in?
                      I consider anything pre 1960 to be of a different era than the one before and although Clemente's career began in 1955, just one season before Robinson's retirement, I don't lump them into the same era together. I was unaware of the U.S. Postal Service's policy of not commemorating the living, which, as explained by Dodger, made it clear to me why there was no one else from Clemente's era included in the series of stamps.

For example, I asked myself..."self, why didn't they include Hank Aaron in this series?"
                      Last edited by runningshoes; 01-16-2006, 01:30 PM.
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X