Ted Williams Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bucketfoot View Post
    Bluesky that generation had a ton of unique characters, recent immigrants and products of a way of life that honestly doesn't exist anymore. Read Sam Rice's story, for example. Dang.
    That's a hell of an idea for the next bio I get Bucketfoot. I've heard the basics of that story too. I've never heard of a Sam Rice biography though. I'll have to google it.

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
    He goes into rather deeper detail in the book itself. Certain parts of the family seemed more willing than others to embrace the Mexican part of the family's heritage. A bunch of them were always claiming to be more Basque than Spanish.

This was a little more complex than Williams being individually ashamed of some of his relatives. Anyone wanting to grasp the full nature of it all should really read Bradlee's whole book and not just run with the quick sketch he gives in that NPR interview.
    Going historically deeper I think the feeling of white Americans towards Mexicans at the time had to with the Zimmerman Telegram.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• There is a Sam Rice biography pretty sure, you know about his family and the tornado. .

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
        Was Williams really ashamed of his Hispanic heritage?
        I recently re-read Bradlee's book and it didn't give me the impression that Williams was ashamed about this. His parents, however, sounded like they didn't want to be associated with the darker skinned members of the Venzor family. Williams had decent relationships with some of the Venzors.

Bradlee's book made Williams problem with being identified as Mexican as mainly a color line issue. I doubt if Williams wanted to be confronted of some of the racism of the day.

Comment

• I found this Ted Williams video. It shows some color film of Williams taking batting practice. I've never seen it before.

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
            I found this Ted Williams video. It shows some color film of Williams taking batting practice. I've never seen it before.

Great stuff, and I must give extra credit for Williams' military service. Given the same set of circumstances, I think many of today's players wouldn't comply.

Comment

• A God among hitters. Would be about the same now I think. We really missed something here not having him in our time.

Comment

• Check this out. It's film from Ted's last game ever as a Red Sock.

https://www.facebook.com/Davenportsp...4120575707280/
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X