Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Check this out. It's film from Ted's last game ever as a Red Sock.

https://www.facebook.com/Davenportsp...4120575707280/

Leave a comment:

• Bucketfoot
    replied
    A God among hitters. Would be about the same now I think. We really missed something here not having him in our time.

Leave a comment:

• Gold Pinstripes
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    I found this Ted Williams video. It shows some color film of Williams taking batting practice. I've never seen it before.

Great stuff, and I must give extra credit for Williams' military service. Given the same set of circumstances, I think many of today's players wouldn't comply.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    I found this Ted Williams video. It shows some color film of Williams taking batting practice. I've never seen it before.

Leave a comment:

• EdTarbusz
    replied
    Was Williams really ashamed of his Hispanic heritage?
    I recently re-read Bradlee's book and it didn't give me the impression that Williams was ashamed about this. His parents, however, sounded like they didn't want to be associated with the darker skinned members of the Venzor family. Williams had decent relationships with some of the Venzors.

Bradlee's book made Williams problem with being identified as Mexican as mainly a color line issue. I doubt if Williams wanted to be confronted of some of the racism of the day.

Leave a comment:

• Bucketfoot
    replied
    There is a Sam Rice biography pretty sure, you know about his family and the tornado. .

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Originally posted by Bucketfoot View Post
    Bluesky that generation had a ton of unique characters, recent immigrants and products of a way of life that honestly doesn't exist anymore. Read Sam Rice's story, for example. Dang.
    That's a hell of an idea for the next bio I get Bucketfoot. I've heard the basics of that story too. I've never heard of a Sam Rice biography though. I'll have to google it.

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
    He goes into rather deeper detail in the book itself. Certain parts of the family seemed more willing than others to embrace the Mexican part of the family's heritage. A bunch of them were always claiming to be more Basque than Spanish.

This was a little more complex than Williams being individually ashamed of some of his relatives. Anyone wanting to grasp the full nature of it all should really read Bradlee's whole book and not just run with the quick sketch he gives in that NPR interview.
    Going historically deeper I think the feeling of white Americans towards Mexicans at the time had to with the Zimmerman Telegram.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Do we really know why, who was there.
    Was that the real reason, did not want to be seen with them.
    That is what the article is saying.

Leave a comment:

• Los Bravos
    replied
    He goes into rather deeper detail in the book itself. Certain parts of the family seemed more willing than others to embrace the Mexican part of the family's heritage. A bunch of them were always claiming to be more Basque than Spanish.

This was a little more complex than Williams being individually ashamed of some of his relatives. Anyone wanting to grasp the full nature of it all should really read Bradlee's whole book and not just run with the quick sketch he gives in that NPR interview.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Wow, did Williams really ditch his own Mexican FAMILY at the train station? Pitiful.
    Do we really know why, who was there.
    Was that the real reason, did not want to be seen with them.

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Originally posted by PRW View Post
    He actually had two ... Claudia wrote a book a couple of years ago, it's a good read.

It wasn't easy being Ted's kid, as one could imagine.
    Sounds like Ted was human just like everyone else.
    Always a bit suspect about the kids writing books about mommy and daddy.
    Maybe some truth and maybe a little add on to the truth.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
    According to this, he was ashamed of his Hispanic heritage. He also resented his mom being in the Salvation Army. But in some sense the vagaries of fate destined him to greatness as he found solace in knocking hell out of baseballs.

http://www.npr.org/2013/12/03/248246...th-many-demons
    Wow, did Williams really ditch his own Mexican FAMILY at the train station? Pitiful.

Leave a comment:

• Badge714
    replied
    According to this, he was ashamed of his Hispanic heritage. He also resented his mom being in the Salvation Army. But in some sense the vagaries of fate destined him to greatness as he found solace in knocking hell out of baseballs.

http://www.npr.org/2013/12/03/248246...th-many-demons

Leave a comment:

• Los Bravos
    replied
    I don't really think so. It was more that his mother was extremely active in the Salvation Army and I think he felt that she was too concerned about everybody else at the expense of him and his brother. Bradlee goes pretty deep into this but it's evident even in My Turn At Bat.

Leave a comment:

• Bucketfoot
    replied
    Bluesky that generation had a ton of unique characters, recent immigrants and products of a way of life that honestly doesn't exist anymore. Read Sam Rice's story, for example. Dang.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X