Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franchise all-time line ups by best year by a player

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    SP-Feller 1940
    SP-Joss 1908
    SP-Lemon 1948
    SP-SCoveleski 1920
    RP-Mesa, 1995
    C-Johny Romano 1961?
    1B-Thome '02/Trosky '36/Thornton '78
    2B-Lajoie 1904
    3B-Rosen '53/Thome '96
    SS-Boudreau
    LF-Belle 1994
    CF-Speaker 1916
    RF-JJackson '12/MRamirez '00
    How about OF Earl Averill in 1936

    Comment


    • #32
      What the heck is going on Yankillaz?! You will take the year of a player who hasn't done anything yet over the great Toronto legendary backstop Ernie Whitt? You have lost your marbles, methinks.

      Kidding, though I was a huge Whitt fan back in his heyday.
      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

      Comment


      • #33
        Olerud '93 vs. Delgado '00 makes for a good comparison for best 1B season in Blue Jays history.

        Olerud '93
        .363/.473/.599, 24 HR, 107 RBI, 54 doubles, 186 OPS+, 7.7 WAR (led league in BA, OBP, OPS, OPS+, doubles, TOB, RC, 3rd in MVP voting, absolutely robbed by Frank Thomas and teammate Paul Molitor)

        Delgado '00
        .344/.470/.664, 41 HR, 137 RBI, 57 doubles, 181 OPS+, 7.3 WAR (led league in doubles, Total Bases, RC, XBH, TOB, and WPA)
        My top 10 players:

        1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
          What the heck is going on Yankillaz?! You will take the year of a player who hasn't done anything yet over the great Toronto legendary backstop Ernie Whitt? You have lost your marbles, methinks.

          Kidding, though I was a huge Whitt fan back in his heyday.
          I know. But Whitt's best season was probably 1985 or 1987 (though WAR says otherwise) and he barely was healthy. I rather have Darrin Fletcher 2000, but I'm certain that Martin is going to top them both. Since this thread will last a long time here in BBF I don't want to be like the OP that has A-Rod's 2005 when his 2007 hadn't occured and was way better.
          "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
          George Brett

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
            Olerud '93 vs. Delgado '00 makes for a good comparison for best 1B season in Blue Jays history.

            Olerud '93
            .363/.473/.599, 24 HR, 107 RBI, 54 doubles, 186 OPS+, 7.7 WAR (led league in BA, OBP, OPS, OPS+, doubles, TOB, RC, 3rd in MVP voting, absolutely robbed by Frank Thomas and teammate Paul Molitor)

            Delgado '00
            .344/.470/.664, 41 HR, 137 RBI, 57 doubles, 181 OPS+, 7.3 WAR (led league in doubles, Total Bases, RC, XBH, TOB, and WPA)
            Offensively they were dead even. The tie breaker for Olerud was his defensive chops, the fact that Toronto won the 1993 WS and the legendary status of his season.
            "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
            George Brett

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Yankillaz View Post
              I know. But Whitt's best season was probably 1985 or 1987 (though WAR says otherwise) and he barely was healthy. I rather have Darrin Fletcher 2000, but I'm certain that Martin is going to top them both. Since this thread will last a long time here in BBF I don't want to be like the OP that has A-Rod's 2005 when his 2007 hadn't occured and was way better.
              Rubbish. Ernie Whitt is the definition of the Toronto Blue Jays! Jesse Barfield, too, but with so many outfielders you might be excused. On second thought, it is blasphemy to not have big Barfield's cannon in RF on your team. Blas-phem-y, with a capital "B" -- for "Barfield shoulda been there!"

              I need to update the Redbird team. Not a bad bunch of picks in the 8 year old post by '64Cards, though even at that time I would have had Jimmy Edmonds 2004 for our CF and Tip O'Neill 1887 for our LF. I'll freshen up the Redbirds and leave the Blue Birds to you!
              "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Kroxquo View Post
                VERY quick research on this, but here is my submission for the Phils

                C - Spud Davis 1932
                1B - Jim Thome 2003
                2B - Nap Lajoie 1897
                3B - Mike Schmidt 1980
                SS - Dick Bartell 1932
                LF - Ed Delahanty 1894
                CF - Billy Hamilton 1894
                RF - Chuck Klein 1930
                SP - Steve Carlton 1972 (arguably the best season by ANY starting pitcher ever)
                RP - Billy Wagner 2005
                Haven't looked thru this so maybe I'll work on it this week. But I had to make two quick edits based on the date of this post.

                C - Spud Davis 1932
                1B - Ryan Howard 2006
                2B - Nap Lajoie 1897
                3B - Mike Schmidt 1980
                SS - Jimmy Rollins 2007
                LF - Ed Delahanty 1894
                CF - Billy Hamilton 1894
                RF - Chuck Klein 1930
                SP - Steve Carlton 1972 (arguably the best season by ANY starting pitcher ever)
                RP - Billy Wagner 2005
                "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

                Comment


                • #38
                  How about the worst franchise of all:
                  1B- George Sisler 1920
                  2B- Marty McManus 1922
                  SS- Junior Stephens 1944
                  3B- Bob Dillinger 1948
                  OF- Ken Williams 1922
                  OF- Heine Manush 1928
                  OF- Goose Goslin 1930
                  C- Hank Severeid 1922
                  DH- Harlond Clift 1938

                  P- Nelson Potter 1944
                  P- Urban Shocker 1921
                  P- Ned Garver 1951

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    C: Javy Lopez 2003
                    1B: Andres Galarraga 1998
                    2B: Rogers Hornsby 1928
                    3B: Chipper Jones 2007
                    SS: Andrelton Simmons 2013
                    LF: Lonnie Smith 1989
                    CF: Andruw Jones 2000 or 2005
                    RF: Hank Aaron 1963

                    SP: Greg Maddux 1995
                    SP: Warren Spahn 1953
                    SP: Tom Glavine 1991
                    SP: John Smoltz 1996
                    SP: Phil Niekro 1978
                    CL: Craig Kimbrel 2012
                    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I'll do one...

                      Lineup
                      1. Billy Hamilton, 1894 - 8
                      2. Chase Utley, 2007 - 4
                      3. Mike Schmidt, 1980 - 5
                      4. Ryan Howard, 2006 - 3
                      5. Ed Delahanty, 1899 - 7
                      6. Big Sam Thompson, 1894 - 9
                      7. Mike Lieberthal, 1999 - 2
                      8. Jimmy Rollins, 2007 - 6
                      9. Steve Carlton, 1972 - 1

                      Bench
                      RF - Chuck Klein, 1930
                      LF - Lefty O'Doul, 1929
                      CF - Richie Ashburn, 1958
                      3B - Scott Rolen, 1998
                      SS - Larry Bowa, 1978
                      C - Bob Boone, 1979

                      Starters
                      Pete Alexander, 1915
                      Roy Halladay, 2010
                      Robin Roberts, 1953
                      Charlie Ferguson, 1886 - OF/2B

                      Bullpen
                      Billy Wagner, 2005 - CL
                      Brad Lidge, 2008 - SU
                      Jose Mesa, 2002 - MR
                      Steve Bedrosian, 1987 - MR
                      Mitch Williams, 1993 - LHS
                      Jim Konstanty, 1950 - LR
                      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by ElHalo View Post
                        I've done this before.

                        I put DiMag in CF and Mantle at DH, but since Mantle didn't play DH, I guess that's a disservice to him. And there's no WAY that Giambi's 2005 was even close to as good as his 2002, when he DH'd in roughly the same proportion as in 2005.

                        I go with Gordon over Soriano, though I could see reasonable people disagreeing on that.

                        Only other difference: Berra was great, but, depending on who you want to believe about his defense (some say he was above average, some say atrocious), Dickey's 1936 was probably better than any Berra year.
                        DiMaggio cannot be left off of a Yankee team and Mantle most certanly would have DHed, had they had one. They both must be on the team, IMO.
                        This week's Giant

                        #5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                          I'll do one...

                          Lineup
                          1. Billy Hamilton, 1894 - 8
                          2. Chase Utley, 2007 - 4
                          3. Mike Schmidt, 1980 - 5
                          4. Ryan Howard, 2006 - 3
                          5. Ed Delahanty, 1899 - 7
                          6. Big Sam Thompson, 1894 - 9
                          7. Mike Lieberthal, 1999 - 2
                          8. Jimmy Rollins, 2007 - 6
                          9. Steve Carlton, 1972 - 1

                          Bench
                          RF - Chuck Klein, 1930
                          LF - Lefty O'Doul, 1929
                          CF - Richie Ashburn, 1958
                          3B - Scott Rolen, 1998
                          SS - Larry Bowa, 1978
                          C - Bob Boone, 1979

                          Starters
                          Pete Alexander, 1915
                          Roy Halladay, 2010
                          Robin Roberts, 1953
                          Charlie Ferguson, 1886 - OF/2B

                          Bullpen
                          Billy Wagner, 2005 - CL
                          Brad Lidge, 2008 - SU
                          Jose Mesa, 2002 - MR
                          Steve Bedrosian, 1987 - MR
                          Mitch Williams, 1993 - LHS
                          Jim Konstanty, 1950 - LR
                          no 1972 Carlton? whew!

                          C: Javy Lopez 2003
                          1B: Andres Galarraga 1998
                          2B: Rogers Hornsby 1928
                          3B: Chipper Jones 2007
                          SS: Andrelton Simmons 2013
                          LF: Lonnie Smith 1989
                          CF: Andruw Jones 2000 or 2005
                          RF: Hank Aaron 1963

                          SP: Greg Maddux 1995
                          SP: Warren Spahn 1953
                          SP: Tom Glavine 1991
                          SP: John Smoltz 1996
                          SP: Phil Niekro 1978
                          CL: Craig Kimbrel 2012
                          great list. I would put 1970 Carty in LF over Smith.

                          How about the worst franchise of all:
                          1B- George Sisler 1920
                          2B- Marty McManus 1922
                          SS- Junior Stephens 1944
                          3B- Bob Dillinger 1948
                          OF- Ken Williams 1922
                          OF- Heine Manush 1928
                          OF- Goose Goslin 1930
                          C- Hank Severeid 1922
                          DH- Harlond Clift 1938

                          P- Nelson Potter 1944
                          P- Urban Shocker 1921
                          P- Ned Garver 1951
                          Chet Laabs PH?
                          This week's Giant

                          #5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                            DiMaggio cannot be left off of a Yankee team and Mantle most certanly would have DHed, had they had one. They both must be on the team, IMO.
                            Did you really just quote ElHalo? You might as well holler out to RuthMayBond or 538280....or Hoffa

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                              Did you really just quote ElHalo? You might as well holler out to RuthMayBond or 538280....or Hoffa
                              Great posters.
                              Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
                                Did you really just quote ElHalo? You might as well holler out to RuthMayBond or 538280....or Hoffa
                                (laugh) well it was on this page. I didn't notice the date
                                This week's Giant

                                #5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X