Franchise all-time line ups by best year by a player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
    DiMaggio cannot be left off of a Yankee team and Mantle most certanly would have DHed, had they had one. They both must be on the team, IMO.
    DiMag played more LF than CF in 1936, you could put him there.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
      2B-Alfonso Soriano 2002 (slightly over Joe Gordans MVP year)
      Cano's best year has to be better than Soriano's 2002, especially on defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
        C: Javy Lopez 2003
        1B: Andres Galarraga 1998
        2B: Rogers Hornsby 1928
        3B: Chipper Jones 2007
        SS: Andrelton Simmons 2013
        LF: Lonnie Smith 1989
        CF: Andruw Jones 2000 or 2005
        RF: Hank Aaron 1963

SP: Greg Maddux 1995
        SP: Warren Spahn 1953
        SP: Tom Glavine 1991
        SP: John Smoltz 1996
        SP: Phil Niekro 1978
        CL: Craig Kimbrel 2012
        Somehow i think that the Braves have had a season by a shortstop that was better than a guy who had a .692 OPS during his season. Also, what about Dale Murphy in center? he had several years better than Jones' best. Oh, and what about Eddie Mathews? Mcgriff in 1994 and Sheffield in 2003 deserve mention also.
        Last edited by willshad; 12-11-2014, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Franchise all-time line ups by best year by a player

Originally posted by willshad View Post
          Somehow i think that the Braves have had a season by a shortstop that was better than a guy who had a .692 OPS during his season. Also, what about Dale Murphy in center? he had several years better than Jones' best. Oh, and what about Eddie Mathews? Mcgriff in 1994 and Sheffield in 2003 deserve mention also.
          As a franchise, the Braves haven't had much luck at SS. Johnny Logan and Rafael Furcal had some nice seasons, but nothing spectacular.

Andruw is one of the greatest fielding CF of all time, so that vaults him ahead of Dale.

Mathews arguably had some better seasons than Chipper, but I had a hard time leaving out my childhood on this one. Nothing like watching Chipper and the hang tear it up during those hot Georgia summers.

Sheffield was awesome here in Atlanta, but there's no way he supplants Hammerin' Hank.
          Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

As a franchise, the Braves haven't had much luck at SS. Johnny Logan and Rafael Furcal had some nice seasons, but nothing spectacular.

Andruw is one of the greatest fielding CF of all time, so that vaults him ahead of Dale.

Mathews arguably had some better seasons than Chipper, but I had a hard time leaving out my childhood on this one. Nothing like watching Chipper and the hang tear it up during those hot Georgia summers.

Sheffield was awesome here in Atlanta, but there's no way he supplants Hammerin' Hank.
            Yeah, I don't think Rafael Belliard or Rafael Ramirez are going to be taking any spots on your roster. Ramirez was an All-star once, I think. Maybe I am mistaking him for some other no-hit 1980s SS in the NL? What about Jeff Blauser? Have you looked him up? I remember him having a decent stick, but that was 20+ years ago and I may have been mistaken. Those are the names I think of when I think of old Braves shortstops.

EDIT: Oh man, just looked up the 1987 Braves to see if Blauser and Ramirez were on the team together and I forgot all about the bridge between them at short -- Andres Thomas! Yikes. Anyway, back to Blauser, it looks like he did have some fine seasons during the mini-Ice Age in the late 80s and early 90s. I would take him on my team, not at that time (I would stick with Ozzie), but he was probably a very fine hitting shortstop in that era. I am not going to look up the others, though.
            Last edited by Herr28; 12-11-2014, 08:00 AM.
            "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
              Yeah, I don't think Rafael Belliard or Rafael Ramirez are going to be taking any spots on your roster. Ramirez was an All-star once, I think. Maybe I am mistaking him for some other no-hit 1980s SS in the NL? What about Jeff Blauser? Have you looked him up? I remember him having a decent stick, but that was 20+ years ago and I may have been mistaken. Those are the names I think of when I think of old Braves shortstops.
              Yea Blauser had a fine season in 1993, posting a 125 OPS+. Renteria also had a good season hitting about .330 (don't feel like looking it up at the moment). I just prefer Simmons out-of-this-world defensive abilities. He's the only fielder I've ever watched that makes your jaw drop at least once a game.
              Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Yea Blauser had a fine season in 1993, posting a 125 OPS+. Renteria also had a good season hitting about .330 (don't feel like looking it up at the moment). I just prefer Simmons out-of-this-world defensive abilities. He's the only fielder I've ever watched that makes your jaw drop at least once a game.
                I agree. I would certainly take a great glove at that spot. I was just reminiscing about them foggy "good ol' days."

Comment

How about my Dodgers? I will give you two teams, one from Brooklyn and one from Los Angeles

Brooklyn Dodgers on the left and the Los Angeles Dodgers on the right
                  C- Roy Campanella 1953............................Mike Piazza 1997
                  1B- Gil Hodges 1954.................................Eddie Murray 1990
                  2B- Jackie Robinson 1949..........................Steve Sax 1986
                  3B- Jimmy Johnston 1921..........................Adrian Beltre 2004
                  SS- Pee Wee Reese 1949..........................Maury Wills 1962
                  LF- Zack Wheat 1924...............................Pedro Guerrero 1985
                  CF- Duke Snider 1953..............................Matt Kemp 2011
                  RF- Babe Herman 1930............................Shawn Green 2001

Now pitchers and if we can only use a guy once...

Dazzy Vance 1924..................................Sandy Koufax 1966
                  Burleigh Grimes 1920.............................Don Drysdale 1964**
                  Nap Rucker 1911...................................Orel Hershiser 1988
                  Jeff Pfeffer 1916...................................Andy Messersmith 1975
                  Preacher Roe 1951*..............................Clayton Kershaw 2013
                  Don Newcombe 1956.............................Don Sutton 1972
                  Clem Labine 1955.................................Ron Perranoski 1963
                  Joe Black 1952.....................................Eric Gagne 2003
                  Hugh Casey 1940..................................Mike Marshall 1974

Roe's 1951 season wasn't that great statistically, but when you go 22-3....
                  Drysdale's best seasons are hard to tell apart and littered with their share of losses. Most fans would pick out 1962 because of the 25 wins.

If you want a few extra guys for the bench:

Lefty O'Doul 1932...................................Tommy Davis 1962
                  Pete Reiser 1941...................................Gary Sheffield 2001
                  Dixie Walker 1944.................................Jimmy Wynn 1974
                  Arky Vaughan 1943................................Reggie Smith 1977
                  Jimmy Johnson 1921..............................Rafael Furcal 2006
                  Jim Gilliam 1956...................................Dick Allen 1971
                  Jack Fournier 1924................................Davey Lopes 1979
                  Dolph Camilli 1941.................................Steve Garvey 1974
                  Eddie Stanky 1946................................Mike Scioscia 1985
                  Babe Phelps 1936.................................Hanley Ramirez 2013
                  Last edited by Second Base Coach; 12-11-2014, 06:09 PM.
                  Your Second Base Coach
                  Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Comment

Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post
                    How about my Dodgers? I will give you two teams, one from Brooklyn and one from Los Angeles

Brooklyn Dodgers on the left and the Los Angeles Dodgers on the right
                    C- Roy Campanella 1953............................Mike Piazza 1997
                    1B- Gil Hodges 1954.................................Eddie Murray 1990
                    2B- Jackie Robinson 1949..........................Steve Sax 1986
                    3B- Jimmy Johnston 1921..........................Adrian Beltre 2004
                    SS- Pee Wee Reese 1949..........................Maury Wills 1962
                    LF- Zack Wheat 1924...............................Pedro Guerrero 1985
                    CF- Duke Snider 1953..............................Matt Kemp 2011
                    RF- Babe Herman 1930............................Shawn Green 2001

Pitchers and bench later...
                    Green was good, but I would take Sheffield in 2000 or Smith in 1977.

Now that i think about it Sheffield has a case to be on about four or five of these all time teams..I dont know if that is a point in his favor or not.

It's weird that in sixty years the Dodgers have not had a really great season by a first baseman.
                    Last edited by willshad; 12-11-2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
                      Green was good, but I would take Sheffield in 2000 or Smith in 1977.

Now that i think about it Sheffield has a case to be on about four or five of these all time teams..I dont know if that is a point in his favor or not.

It's weird that in sixty years the Dodgers have not had a really great season by a first baseman.
                      Sheffield has a very good case for Dodgers, Padres and Marlins. He had great seasons with the Braves and Yankees too but has no case for those franchises (blocked by Aaron and Ruth).
                      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                      2. Barry Bonds
                      3. Ty Cobb
                      4. Ted Williams
                      5. Willie Mays
                      6. Alex Rodriguez
                      7. Hank Aaron
                      8. Honus Wagner
                      9. Lou Gehrig
                      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Twins:

1B Morneau 2006, MVP, 34 HR, 130 RBI, .321/.375/.559
                        2b Carew 1977, MVP, .388 avg
                        SS Versalles 1965, MVP, led league in TB, runs scored, doubles, and triples, won GG,
                        3B Killebrew 1969-MVP, 49 HR, 140 RBI, led league with .427 OB%,
                        RF-Oliva 1964, ROY away, led league in avg, runs, hits, doubles, and total bases(374)
                        CF-Puckett 1988-234 hits, 24 HR, 121 RBI and .356 avg..led league with 358 TB
                        LF-Allison 1963-lead league in runs scored, OPS, and OPS+, hit 35 HRS
                        C mauer 2009-MVP, won percentage triple crown, hit .365 as a catcher!

Scott Erickson 1991—20-8, 135 ERA+
                        Santana 2004- 20-6, 2.61 ERA, 182 ERA+, 228 IP
                        Viola 1988- 24-7, 2.64 ERA, 255.1 IP, 154 ERA+
                        Alan Anderson 1988- 16-9, league leading 166 ERA+ and 2.45 ERA
                        Jim Kaat 1966, 25-13, league-leading 304.2 IP, 131 ERA+
                        Blyleven 1973, 20-17, league leading 9 shutouts and 156 ERA+, 325 IP

Joe Nathan 2006—7-0 record, 1.58 ERA, 36 saves, 284 ERA+ in 68.1 IP
                        Aguilara 1991—69.0 IP, 183 ERA+, 42 saves

Comment

Originally posted by pheasant View Post
                          Twins:

1B Morneau 2006, MVP, 34 HR, 130 RBI, .321/.375/.559
                          2b Carew 1977, MVP, .388 avg
                          SS Versalles 1965, MVP, led league in TB, runs scored, doubles, and triples, won GG,
                          3B Killebrew 1969-MVP, 49 HR, 140 RBI, led league with .427 OB%,
                          RF-Oliva 1964, ROY away, led league in avg, runs, hits, doubles, and total bases(374)
                          CF-Puckett 1988-234 hits, 24 HR, 121 RBI and .356 avg..led league with 358 TB
                          LF-Allison 1963-lead league in runs scored, OPS, and OPS+, hit 35 HRS
                          C mauer 2009-MVP, won percentage triple crown, hit .365 as a catcher!

Scott Erickson 1991—20-8, 135 ERA+
                          Santana 2004- 20-6, 2.61 ERA, 182 ERA+, 228 IP
                          Viola 1988- 24-7, 2.64 ERA, 255.1 IP, 154 ERA+
                          Alan Anderson 1988- 16-9, league leading 166 ERA+ and 2.45 ERA
                          Jim Kaat 1966, 25-13, league-leading 304.2 IP, 131 ERA+
                          Blyleven 1973, 20-17, league leading 9 shutouts and 156 ERA+, 325 IP

Joe Nathan 2006—7-0 record, 1.58 ERA, 36 saves, 284 ERA+ in 68.1 IP
                          Aguilara 1991—69.0 IP, 183 ERA+, 42 saves
                          Carew in '77 was a first baseman. He played 151 games at 1B and 4 games at 2B.
                          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                          2. Barry Bonds
                          3. Ty Cobb
                          4. Ted Williams
                          5. Willie Mays
                          6. Alex Rodriguez
                          7. Hank Aaron
                          8. Honus Wagner
                          9. Lou Gehrig
                          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

No Brad Radke?! Have you completely gone bonkers up there pheasant? I know it gets cold this time of year, but c'mon man. It isn't like I am pushing for Mike Smithson or Joe Mays. Radke was the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                              No Brad Radke?! Have you completely gone bonkers up there pheasant? I know it gets cold this time of year, but c'mon man. It isn't like I am pushing for Mike Smithson or Joe Mays. Radke was the man!
                              No Kent Hrbek bothers me more.
                              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                              2. Barry Bonds
                              3. Ty Cobb
                              4. Ted Williams
                              5. Willie Mays
                              6. Alex Rodriguez
                              7. Hank Aaron
                              8. Honus Wagner
                              9. Lou Gehrig
                              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                                No Kent Hrbek bothers me more.
                                Start a petition to get T-Rex on pheasant's team! I'll be the first to put my Hrbie Hancock on it. . .

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X